PDA

View Full Version : 2nd and 11th Astartes Legions

OmahaRenegade
05-12-2010, 16:28
I couldn't find anything on this in the forum, so I thought I'd ask:
Who were the 2nd and 11th Astartes Legions that the Emperor (beloved by all :p) purged? I'm reading "The First Heretic" and was curious about this.

LonelyPath
05-12-2010, 16:32
They were deliberately left blank by the creators of the games and never filled in. In short, the reasoning was for players of the game to come up with their own legions to fill in the blanks.

Alsharoth
05-12-2010, 16:35
Un-known as they were expunged back in RT (40k ed1)
I have a (consperacy theory alert) the IP for them are owned by people that left the company in the early days taking all associated works with them.
Or ....................................., there place holders for some super secrete project yet to be started.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
05-12-2010, 16:51
Rainbow Warriors were the 11th :)

MasterGideon
05-12-2010, 17:31
Well all we know is the following Hints:

1. Something Terriable happend to the Primachs (worse than falling to chaos, we know this as even the traitor legions are still named and so are their primarchs)

2. In "First Heretic" Magnus mentions that russ "Vouched" for lorgar not to suffer the same "Fate" as his 2 Brothers who shall not be named.

3. Its hinted again in Firest Heretic that the legions where not destroyed, but absorbed by another legion ( I wont name it as your reading the book).

I have no ideas what could be worse than hersey, but I sure would like to find out, but it wont happen, more hints be given hell maybe they fell to the worship of the C`Tan perhaps, and they actually awoke the necrons, or perhaps both fell the the hive mind and that why the nids have come.

MasterGideon

Sgt John Keel
05-12-2010, 17:34
They were deliberately left blank by the creators of the games and never filled in. In short, the reasoning was for players of the game to come up with their own legions to fill in the blanks.

That worked out well with all the heat everyone gets who try to base their fluff on the expunged legions. :D

Cartographer
05-12-2010, 17:43
Well all we know is the following Hints:

1. Something Terriable happend to the Primachs (worse than falling to chaos, we know this as even the traitor legions are still named and so are their primarchs)

In all fairness, pre-heresy the Emperor was actually able to pass judgement on them and get them expunged. After Horus did a number on him, he wasn't in a position to issue proclamations and such, so it may well have been chaos worship.

Fritzallmighty
05-12-2010, 17:48
My assumption from reading the Horus Heresy books has always been that they had died, either in battle or on their adoptive home worlds. Such failure would not have been taken well by the Emperor.

As to why the traitors have not received such treatment? Perhaps they will when they are ultimately defeated, or as mentioned the Emperor is not in a state to do much of anything at the moment.

MasterGideon
05-12-2010, 18:32
In all fairness, pre-heresy the Emperor was actually able to pass judgement on them and get them expunged. After Horus did a number on him, he wasn't in a position to issue proclamations and such, so it may well have been chaos worship.

I am under the assumption that the High Lords of Terra can expung infomation from imperial records as well as the emperor.

MasterGideon

susu.exp
05-12-2010, 18:39
I think the two blank ones are a reference to the Roman Legions lost by Publius Quinctilius Varus. The 3 Legions that were destroyed were rebuild, but got new numbers, there was no 17th, 18th or 19th after that battle. Rick has a background in Archeology after all and the Astartes are named after a rather obscure goddess (if you want to blow your mind, you note that the symbol of this goddess was an 8-pointed star and the correlated god in the egyptian pantheon was Horus).
AFAIK the first founding was first mentioned in the 2nd Ed. Codex:Imperialis and the Legions are reported as missing. In RT the Astartes are refered to as the Legiones Astartes, but as organisatorial units only chapters are mentioned.

x-esiv-4c
05-12-2010, 18:41
Read First Heretic.

t-tauri
05-12-2010, 19:36
Moved to 40k background and closed. See the eight similar threads linked to in the background FAQ (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233909).