PDA

View Full Version : Help making DoW rules!

theorox
05-12-2010, 19:18
Hi. I just had an idea, what if i were to write up some Dogs of War rules? Similar to the old ones, but adapted to 8th edition. Are there a lot of projects like this? It would be in Microsoft Word form, as that's the only format i have and know how to use. I hardly even know what a PDF is, so if someone could help me create a basic PDF it would be helpful.

Since there is a functional DoW armybook this would mostly be a way to let all the different armies take mercenaries. Maybe a % limit on Mercenaries?

These are mostly for my own private use, but i'd love others to use it too!

Add your ideas here please. I'll make a list of things to (re)introduce, starting with my own ideas:

-Ogre Bulls, Maneaters (Ironguts?) and Leadbelcher mercenaries.
-General common units, like in the latest DoW book.
-Dwarf mercenaries
-Militia
-Elf outcasts
-Pirates, and not just one generic unit.
-Non-chaos Norse
-Tilean Mercenaries obviously
-Mercenary Giant with some special attack
-Hobgoblins
-Arabyan units
-A few Cathayan and Nipponese units
-Kislevite units
-Witch Hunters

What else?

Theo

SamVimes
05-12-2010, 19:24
This might interest you. About 4-5 books down. I think it came out 2 or 3 months ago?

http://battlereporter.freeforums.org/warhammer-army-books-fan-made-unofficial-f88.html

theorox
05-12-2010, 19:43
Awesome! :)

Thanks. Much better than i can do, but i still want to try. That gives a lot of inspiration.

Theo

Ironmonger
05-12-2010, 20:32
This might interest you. About 4-5 books down. I think it came out 2 or 3 months ago?

http://battlereporter.freeforums.org/warhammer-army-books-fan-made-unofficial-f88.html

That's pretty well done.

Seems as though a LOT has been gleaned from Tilea.org (which is good, if a little too much of a straight copy for my tastes, but hey...). I would have still liked them to have kept the names/rules for some of the attributes/upgrades ('Reputations' sound soooo much better then 'War Academy,' why change out the 7 wonders to Leo only, why keep alot of the names, but get rid of 'Paymaster's Rewards,' Racial Wariness, etc., etc...). As well...8 pts a pike was fine. 6 pts...a little too low IMO. Would have liked Duellists to be able to take a brace of pistols, too...but that's just wishlisting (well, FESTOONED WITH PISTOLS would be wishlisting...;)).

All in all I have to say that I don't think I could really do better then that myself, nor do I think DoW have gotten such a nice treatment as in the last year. I'll be using this Army Book in my club.

Cheers for the link!

theorox
06-12-2010, 08:20
I'm not trying to do better, just making an armylist with rules. ;) Suggestions?

Theo

LordZombie
06-12-2010, 08:24
There was a pretty old WD article about picking different models as your dogs of war general. Came out soon after Dogs of War army book came out. I should dig it up and post up some stuff.

theorox
06-12-2010, 08:53
Please do! :)

Theo

theorox
07-12-2010, 14:42
Noone interested? Okay. Does anyone have any tips or things to think about when i write rules? :)

Theo

jullevi
07-12-2010, 16:02
Does anyone have any tips or things to think about when i write rules?

"Rules are complete when there is nothing more to remove."

rather than

"Rules are complete when there is nothing more to add."

Unfortunately, GW developers often tend to forget this rule.

LordZombie
09-12-2010, 08:19
Ok, found that article I was looking for. It is based in 5th edition shortly after the Dogs of War army book came out. Here are the basics: You pick from 7 different races for the general. They are human, dwarf, orc, hobgoblin, high elf, dark elf, and ogre. They come with standard weapons of their race and can choose more options. All but the ogre and dwarf can get a mount. There is also a list of quirks you must pick from to get your general character. If you are interested, let me know I will post up a full list of the rules, stats and options.