PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer 40K in South Korea

rabblerouser
06-12-2010, 00:56
I am wondering, is there any sort of warhammer community in south korea? I have been here for a week and I am starting to miss it!

zantis
06-12-2010, 04:27
I was on the tyranid hive and someone posted this. maybe he/she is in a nearby area.
http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=30342
other than that, i really dont know if there's any warhammer community in south korea.

spaint2k
06-12-2010, 05:26
There is at least one store in Seoul. I don't know where but don't give up hope - someone'll put you on to it eventually.

rabblerouser
06-12-2010, 08:18
There is at least one store in Seoul. I don't know where but don't give up hope - someone'll put you on to it eventually.

A GW store? or just a store that sells this stuff?>

spaint2k
06-12-2010, 09:02
An independent store of some kind I guess. Sorry, I really can't remember how I stumbled across it. I haven't actually been to the store - I found it on the web when I was on a business trip to Korea but since the address was in Hangul and the map was only marked in Hangul I had no idea where it was.

Godzooky
06-12-2010, 09:39
Until you find a place to play you could always look north for a fix of grimdark. :(

Psycoticspacemarine
06-12-2010, 13:41
2F 369-3 Seokyodong
Seoul
121-838
KR

That is the address to the store. It is an independent retailer. Found it using GW's store finder on thier website.

SumYungGui
06-12-2010, 14:36
That store is the ONLY store in the entire peninsula that sells GW materials and if you think it's expensive to start with add in the Won conversion rate, importing and tariffs for the models being 'toys'. You're gonna choke. Sorta small store and a bit of a PITA to haul all your stuff up to so I didn't go there to play, just went there for single models that I didn't want to wait on shipping for and spray primer. Most places won't ship aerosols internationally.

The key to finding the store is to take the appropriate subway lines (line 1 to line 2, coming from Seoul Station) get off at Hong-gik university stop, take exit 5 to street level, go down the street past Papa John's (or stop at Papa John's if you were missing good pizza like I was) turn left to go uphill into an alley that looks exactly like a million other alley ways and get lucky trying to go straight.

For actual playing I know for a fact Camp Humphreys has a pretty good community (Hi, Dean!) and I've heard Osan AFB has one too. Outside of that it's catch as catch can for groups of friends to play against. Mostly Americans though, as 40k the hobby has never caught on even though everyone and their cousin's dog does Gundam modeling. Your guess is as good as mine.

edit: store's name is Orctown. http://www.orctown.com/ Click there 'where' button for a street map and store hours.

rabblerouser
07-12-2010, 00:49
I just want a few minis to paint. How expensive are they? I wonder is there any place that sells testors flat black or something similar.. i don't like GW black primer but the white is OK. I would like to maybe pick up island of blood and paint it here.

For me, it's actually easy to get to. I am in yeongtong so I take the express bus into seoul and then the green line over. It's in the Hongdae area right? ie: the club district.

Tell me more about the gundam modelling. Are there any stores that sell things like tamiya paints/models?

SumYungGui
07-12-2010, 03:03
You're still gonna choke a bit, but as I said I bought a few onesies and twosies there. A very small portion of hell would have to get drafty before I'd buy a lot or even an entire army there though. For that I just ordered internationally and waited.

Yeah around that area. Like I said line 2 at the Hong-gik University stop, exit 5 to street level.

Gundam modeling in Korea is stupidly popular, it's seriously everywhere. Why they find it so hard to make the jump to actually using the things they hobby into creation and playing 40k I will never understand but there you have it. For the craft shop there's one right down the street from Orctown actually. Once you're there step outside, go right until a T intersection, go left for about half a block and walk upstairs at the golden venus statue on your left hand side. The guys at the shop are pretty good about explaining it so just ask them. On the way there be sure to stop at whatever restaurant appeals to you. Especially the Sam Gup Sai restaurants. You may thank me later.

rabblerouser
07-12-2010, 03:11
lol thanks. :) know if there are any places in Yeongtong, Kyonghi university area? I imagine there would be

Lars Porsenna
07-12-2010, 03:28
Gundam modeling in Korea is stupidly popular, it's seriously everywhere. Why they find it so hard to make the jump to actually using the things they hobby into creation and playing 40k I will never understand but there you have it.

This might be a danger of being a stereotype, but maybe because electronic gaming is so much more entrenched in their gaminig culture, that tabletop is not considered for "serious" gaming? My impression of SKorean gaming scene is that it is ridiculously dominated by video and console gaming (such that one can become a "professional gamer!") such that wargaming might not be able to get an edge in (unlike the US/UK, where tabletop games -- wargames, boardgames, and RPGs -- pre-date the video game revolution, and thus persist...)?

Damon.

Friedrich von Offenbach
07-12-2010, 04:50
I am wondering, is there any sort of warhammer community in south korea? I have been here for a week and I am starting to miss it!

Just feel lucky that your not a few Km north:D

SumYungGui
07-12-2010, 11:49
lol thanks. :) know if there are any places in Yeongtong, Kyonghi university area? I imagine there would be

Places to play or places to buy stuff like stores? Play maybe I dunno. The entire year I spent there I was asking for another option because of the price and travel time to Seoul and nobody ever told me of another store in the entire peninsula. I believe Orctown is the only one.

Grim_Rampart
24-10-2012, 03:06
There is now a Camp Casey gaming group on Facebook for people to gather and hold events. Find us on Facebook groups just search Camp Casey Gaming Group or C2G2.

IcedCrow
24-10-2012, 03:19
Oh Camp Casey. Them's were the days. 2nd tank... 72nd armor. Jan - Dec 1996! =)

Grim_Rampart
24-10-2012, 04:46
lol funny I am in 1st Tank 1-72 AR

Beppo1234
24-10-2012, 06:46
The store is in Hongdae, Hongik Uni stop, exit 5. Go out, turn left, go past the street vendors selling dog sweaters, one block and turn right at the Dunkin Donuts. Go down that street for a while until you see a CU up the street on your left. Go towards the CU, cross the street and it's right there on the second floor of building on the street you are on. It's across the street from a big multistoried glass fronted clothing store. It's called orctown... go to their website, it's pretty easy to find. I in Korea now... they've got a couple tables, and are really friendly, and there are always a couple of waygooks playing a game. And pretty often fully supplied, though they sell out fast on some of the newer stuff.

Sparowl
24-10-2012, 17:01
I also went to Orc Town while there. Decent enough place. A few tables to play on, and the walls were pretty well stocked.

I was in there at the beginning of 2012.

1-94FA, BTW.

Grim_Rampart
30-10-2012, 23:01
https://www.facebook.com/groups/369797916435350/ Link to Camp Casey Gaming Group

Dark Vect
21-11-2012, 11:02
I am part of the largest warhammer gaming club in Seoul called Dice God. We have a lot of members both korean and English. We also order stuff monthly as most people dont like orctown. We are near the seoul national university area. check out our facebook page at www.facebook.com/DiceGod

Icarus81
21-11-2012, 13:01
go down the street past Papa John's (or stop at Papa John's if you were missing good pizza like I was)

Oh dear...i'm so sorry!

Lars Porsenna
21-11-2012, 18:40
Oh dear...i'm so sorry![/COLOR]

Must be a relative thing...

Damon.