PDA

View Full Version : Models so detailed they break?

Toldavf
06-12-2010, 18:00
Hi as I write this I'm in the middle of putting a unit of Hellions together. For the sheer fun of it I wanted to go with the stun claw option but unfortunately I have been forced to change my mind as the chain on the model is so flimsy it will break in no time.

Has anyone else encountered anything similar with this or other models?.

Souleater
06-12-2010, 18:10
I've built my Raiders without all the spears. They are incredibly filmsy. I'll also probably be very cautious about Wyche weaponary as I think some of it may cause...transportation issues...

crowhaven
06-12-2010, 18:12
urien rakarth, his dam arms keep falling off!

Hrw-Amen
06-12-2010, 18:15
Over the years I have found all sorts of bits like this breaking, usually when trying to get them cleanly off the sprue.

I find anything like that always appears to be mounted on the sprue in such a way that it cannot be cut flush a flat surface so no matter how sharp my knife it ends up breaking. It is jolly annoying.

Ravenous
06-12-2010, 18:19
Archon is a good one, Ive dubbed mine lord Gumby since he bends at the slightest touch.

ashc
06-12-2010, 20:03
So every suggestion so far is a Dark Eldar model... who saw that coming? :p

dblaz3r
06-12-2010, 21:20
I refuse to touch my brothers Death Guard. It seems like every time I look at one some piece of equipment falls off and then I get the death stare.
As for me, I've only really had trouble with seals and parchment either breaking or falling off or unpinned metal models coming to bits.

Bunnahabhain
06-12-2010, 21:27
Plenty of FW resin, before, during and after painting.

Of course, being resin, it has nice clean breaks that fix with a dot or two of thin cyanoacrylate ....

Born Again
06-12-2010, 23:34
I've never had a problem with this, ever, except for FW resin pieces (very delicate!). Regular GW plastic has always been fine for me. Just treat it gently and don't go slamming it around and it should be fine.

Mozzamanx
06-12-2010, 23:36
Its not detail, but rather shoddy design. I have never seen a Tau Broadside without shattered ankles. Such massive guns, and in metal, with extra metal armour. And they used *those* ankles.

Also, Sammael's sword is ultra-fine towards the handle. It hasn't broken yet, but its going to be an **** to fix if it does.

LonelyPath
07-12-2010, 00:23
I have given up attaching antennae and aerials to anything that comes with them since all the ones I have attached to things in the past have always broken off at some point. I've not had any problems with my DE models so far, but they're sitting quietly on a shelf out of the way where no harm can (hopefully) befall them.

Surgency
07-12-2010, 00:23
Sammael's sword always breaks for me. Also, I have a horrendous problem with Grey Knights of all stripes... those halberds break off all the time

The Ginger Ninja
07-12-2010, 00:32
Pariahs.
The blades on their warscythes are connected by a very thin sliver of metal. With the GW recommendation of using PVA glue to glue the green gauss rods on, I found that they broke or bent within 2 weeks of being used in games. I have since used superglue, whilst hard to keep the green rods looking tidy with it, I have only had one model bend in the last 2 years.

Also my lords scythe has snapped in two after 3 years of being used, I'm dreading trying to superglue that back together...

ehlijen
07-12-2010, 00:47
And I thought that was just me being clumsy. Yes, the new dark eldar are so flimsy in places that the mere attempt of getting the pieces of the sprue is dangerous...

Toldavf
07-12-2010, 01:04
I just wish they would sacrifice a little detail for models that are more robust after carefully clipping the stun claw away it already had the tell tale white marks of stressed plastic.

Also totally agree about the Archon Ravenous, his sword is so flimsy I'm considering replacing it with a spare plastic whip from the hellion box before I paint him

easternheretic
07-12-2010, 01:23
Hormaguants at the hoof/ankle and the connecting tab. I've had about a dozen break at this area over the course of a few years.

It's gotten to the point that I don't really bother to do a neat job fixing them. A blob of GS that is still visible. They are of course the first models I remove due to casualties though!

ehlijen
07-12-2010, 01:29
Hormaguants at the hoof/ankle and the connecting tab.

Friendly advice: Do not buy any broadsides :p

About the same ankle diameter, but two massive metal railguns right on the top...

TheMav80
07-12-2010, 01:43
Never had problems with my Broadsides.

Daemonettes on the other hand...their claws wont stay on at all! They catch on carrying case foam easily too. The standard is even worse. I have given up on them.

unheilig
07-12-2010, 01:54
has anyone heard of pinning?

carldooley
07-12-2010, 02:14
I gave up on Vampire Counts when I got more model on my fingers than on the bases when putting together the skeletons. Ghouls were easy, the Necron Warrior was cake in comparison, but the sculpts for the skeletons threw me completely.

Toldavf
07-12-2010, 02:20
Cant pin a stun claw and allot of the weapons are too thin to pin nowadays just look at the Archons husk blade its so thin there's no chance of pinning it if it snaps.

burad
07-12-2010, 02:36
Pinning....You can get mighty small drill bits for dremels, and brass rod to match. Or reinforce the outside somewhere with a small piece of brass strip.
Meanwhile, every time i use my Orks with their vehicles I have to glue something back on afterwards. Too many bits pointing out. But dat's ok, it's just orkyness.

Chem-Dog
07-12-2010, 02:50
There's a Forgeworld out there somewhere that's churning out billions of shonky Sentinel Ankles...I've lost at least six Senties to critical ankle failure.

AlphariusOmegon20
07-12-2010, 02:53
Helbrecht's Sword breaks at the hilt every time I've owned that model.

Worse off, the pinning surface is so small, it almost can't be pinned back on.

destroyerlord
07-12-2010, 04:37
has anyone heard of pinning?

Most of the problem piece people are talking about here are just too small to pin without a high degree of skill.
Consider the OP for example, how would you pin a fine plastic chain back together if it snapped in two?

MajorWesJanson
07-12-2010, 06:16
Basilisks. The ladder and railings are nice for OSHA compliance, but you bump them wrong and they fall apart. Maybe for dramatic deaths?

Elysian weapon bipods.

Forgeworld Jump Pack roll bars.

Angelwing
07-12-2010, 08:20
I have one old school rhino that I stuck the handrail on. I've never stuck and other on or any aerials either. Sometimes the rule of cool has to give way to the rule of transporting practicalities.

Godzooky
07-12-2010, 09:19
I was proudly showing the main body of my unassembled Hector Rex to a friend when he slipped my grip and fell on the floor. The fall knackered his right shoulder pad very heavily, cracking the resin through and taking dinks out of the edges. :cries:

I've now assigned Rex in my mind to be converted as a Black Templar marshall when I pick up the appropriate FW BT shoulder pads.

DYoung
07-12-2010, 09:21
The handle of one of Lelith Hesperax's knives broke off when I clipped the flash and then when I was trying to figure out a way to reattach it, it fell out of my hands and straight into a warp rift, disappearing forever.
RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Major_Manny
07-12-2010, 09:26
the lasguns or bayonets on my DK :( they either bend or break whilst in my carry case :( ooh, and the handles on thier entrenching tools seem to go all the time :( boo lol

Ravenous
07-12-2010, 12:43
I heard that too, I was about to get into DKoK when someone told me "I hope you like broken lasguns!".

Im just less and less impressed with Forgeworld these days, beautiful models but what good is that if quality control is out the window on a product Im paying at least twice as much for?

Putty
07-12-2010, 13:10
the guy who designed the Seaguard sprue for the IoB set deserves a bollocking...

shabbadoo
07-12-2010, 13:11
Very true. You don't want a shifted casting of any resin bit, let alone something with parts as small/thin as a lasgun barrel or sword blade. I only get FW stuff that has no small/fragile parts.

Also, this thread title needs to be "Models so fragile that they break?", as "detailed" doesn't mean fragile whatsoever.

eldargal
07-12-2010, 13:17
I've not had any problems with Dark Eldar, and certainly not with the Archon, her huskblade is solid as a rock.

However, I did have Lelith's dagger pommel break off but I was able to pin it back on. Apart from that, my Howling Banshee's swords are nearly all bendy no matter what I do, and the damned executioner seems particularly prone to breakage.

Bloodknight
07-12-2010, 13:30
her huskblade is solid as a rock.

I found that sword super bendy. I think I will replace it with the plastic one from the warrior sprue when (note I don't say "if") it breaks. The one that comes with the model is good for a display piece, but not for a gaming mini, IMHO.

RTB01
07-12-2010, 13:38
Archon is a good one, Ive dubbed mine lord Gumby since he bends at the slightest touch.

:D - does his brain hurt? I hope he comes equipped with tasche and also knotted handkerchief!

LonelyPath
07-12-2010, 14:28
I have remembered a few models that have broken on me now...

The last lot of Metal Seekers, all the blades snapped off their daggers the first time I took them to play in a carry case. However, I have never had that problem with the metal daemonettes.

As for pinning stunclaws, I managed to pin mine, you just have to be careful about doing it :)

eldargal
07-12-2010, 14:32
It sounds like I'm the only one with a solid huskblade then? I just tested mine, gave it a good wiggle and it didn't bend at all. I think it would break the superglue bond attaching it to the body before the blade broke off.

I found that sword super bendy. I think I will replace it with the plastic one from the warrior sprue when (note I don't say "if") it breaks. The one that comes with the model is good for a display piece, but not for a gaming mini, IMHO.

Toldavf
07-12-2010, 17:42
As for pinning stunclaws, I managed to pin mine, you just have to be careful about doing it :)

I was talking about the stun claws chain I would be very impressed if you had manages to pin that as the only thing thin and strong enough would be a hair from the emperors own head :P

twistedmarine
07-12-2010, 18:38
Metal models are the worst. And everytime they fall over, paint chips off eerrg

UberBeast
07-12-2010, 18:50
The handle of one of Lelith Hesperax's knives broke off when I clipped the flash and then when I was trying to figure out a way to reattach it, it fell out of my hands and straight into a warp rift, disappearing forever.
RRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just about to comment on my own Lelith knife mishap. I ended up sticking a pin out the back of her hand and sculpting it into a knife handle.

The piece was already bent when I took it out of the package and broke as soon as I exposed it to air. Very shoddy!

DYoung
07-12-2010, 22:22
I ended up sticking a pin out the back of her hand and sculpting it into a knife handle.

This is an excellent idea, I wish I'd thought of this. I ended up using the end of the knife that comes with the Dire Avengers, which is quite a bit too fat. Doesn't look bad from a distance but on closer inspection is quite ugly.

LonelyPath
07-12-2010, 22:36
I was talking about the stun claws chain I would be very impressed if you had manages to pin that as the only thing thin and strong enough would be a hair from the emperors own head :P

Oh right, no, not managed to pin that, but I've not needed to yet. Knowing me I'd have a go though, lol.

Mordax Praetorian
07-12-2010, 22:49
Raptors

At one point I was just going to coat them in a solid layer of Green Stuff and carve the word "Raptor" in it to be clear on what was under there

Just getting them to stay upright is hard enough let alone keeping them in one piece

genestealer_baldric
07-12-2010, 22:57
Friendly advice: Do not buy any broadsides :p

About the same ankle diameter, but two massive metal railguns right on the top...

or any tau battlesuits who knew fish have brittle bones in their ankles they snap even as a d6 gust withitin 6" of the model

JonasRogers
08-12-2010, 03:57
The spears on the warriors of Minas Tirith...though, they arrived in the mail broken so does that count?

Serpent
08-12-2010, 13:45
The Land Speeder sensor array isn't the most sturdy piece of plastic. I've cut down mine so that they don't extend from the hull more than a few millimetres. This has kept them safe from harm so far...

And SoB Seraphim (all metal) fall over all the time. Very annoying.

terradax
08-12-2010, 16:20
The chains, pendants and other decoration on the Blood Angels Death company box (wich I use for bits in my entire army) is worthless. I often end up removing decoration to keep the mini symetric.

howardmonsoonmoon
08-12-2010, 17:09
I find that a straightened out section of paperclip can make an excellent pin for arms and weopons on eldar / de eldar models. Also i have found over the years that green stuff sometimes works very well to "glue" joints as it can be very strong.

wyvirn
08-12-2010, 19:14
For some reason, I've had trouble with every version of the Zoanthrope. It doesn't help that the latest two are effectively a ball of metal on a stick with very little surface area touching.

solkan
09-12-2010, 03:51
Is it fair game to complain about Privateer Press models? The original Satyxis Raider models had these two tiny little horns that they expected people to glue onto the models' foreheads. Completely and utterly impossible to keep a unit with their horns. :cries:

EdgeDs
09-12-2010, 07:33
As much as I like the new Dark Eldar models they look way too easy to break which meant I decided against going with that force. Simply looked too much like a disaster waiting too happen.

LostTemplar
09-12-2010, 07:44
After you've played and assembled Infinity... This whole turns into a new range. Imagine a game where 90% Of the buggers have lovely detailed, small antenaes, that risk falling out if you stare at them wrongly!

Spirit
09-12-2010, 20:22
Im just waiting for my drazhar archon conversion to snap, not only have i put 2 plastic thin arms on him stretched out at 180degrees, he is only attacked to his base by about 4 toes...