PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pts Ogre Kingdoms. This good enough?

lord_blackfang
15-03-2006, 22:14
Time for a new project! I have two new Ogre Battalion boxes on my desk and I want to turn them (ok, their contents :rolleyes: ) into a good all-rounder force. My only previous WHFB experience is with Tomb Kings, a very different army.

Anyway, I want to start assembling my models, but don't want to end up with stuff I'll never use (same old story, I know...)

So I was thinking this:

[LORD] Tyrant; Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Kineater, 2x Thiefstone (285)
[HERO] Butcher; Skullmantle, Bloodcleaver (175)
[HERO] Butcher; Bangstick, Dispell Scroll (180)
[CORE] 3 Bulls; Bellower (115)
[CORE] 5 Bulls; Bellower, Armour, Ironfists (225)
[CORE] 3 Ironguts; Bellower (154)
[CORE] 5 Ironguts; Bellower (250)
[CORE] 20 Gnoblars (40)
[CORE] 20 Gnoblars (40)
[CORE] 9 Trappers (54)
[SPEC] 2 'Belchers; Bellower (120)
[SPEC] Scraplauncher (165)
[RARE] Gorger (75)

This should come out to 1998 pts. It's a sort of middle ground between MSU and multi-hammers. The Tyrant with one 5-strong unit, one Butcher with the other, second Butcher for support whereever needed.

Will I fare well with this? Anything I could change to make my n00bish life easier (ie. do you see anything useless in there?) If possible, I'd prefer not to field Yhetties, Maneaters and Giants, but I will if they're needed to be reasonably competitive*. Any help greatly appreciated!

*I play in a moderate environment, never seen a SAD or Flying Circus in my life :D

Krootman
16-03-2006, 00:49
My only game useing store orgers, my goger didnt even appear on the board and it cant charge on the turn it comes in so.... My giant worked amazing and can earn its points back pretty fast so I would take one. Also think about yhettes they can move threw terran like its nothing and thats amazing when it comes to making flanking moves.

GAWD
16-03-2006, 02:17
I started w/2 Ogre battalions too. The cheapest army in the game.

I made 3 units of 4 bulls, converted 2 butchers, 4 leadbelchers (in hindsight, more bulls would have been better), 2 units of 4 IGuts, 40 Gnobbies, and 8 trappers. My advice is simple. Build as many bulls and IGuts as you can; don't bother w/leadbelchers. Remember, you can bulls w/the extra armor bits to work for IGut bellowers & standard. I run an MSU army, so I went w/lots of units of 4. But, by making lots of Bulls (if you can figure out how to make the weapon kits interchangeable, that'll be a plus--check ogrestronghold.com) you'll have lots of variety. You can also convert bulls to be maneaters (I highly suggest these guys--very good) and bruisers. Have at it.

Mad Makz
16-03-2006, 04:22
Looks pretty convincing to me.

Chuffy
16-03-2006, 11:05
[CORE] 5 Bulls; Bellower, Armour, Ironfists (225)
[CORE] 5 Ironguts; Bellower (250)

Why no standards?

And...don't take units of 5! It is a huge waste of points. If a unit is going to have a character, they should be three strong. If they are not they should be 4. It is the ideal size.

Think of it like this...how many points are you paying to get less attacks and one more rank? Is it really worth it?

CORE] 20 Gnoblars (40)
[CORE] 20 Gnoblars (40)
[CORE] 9 Trappers (54)

I personally don't rate Gnoblar fighters at all. They are not good blocking units and they are not good supporting/flanking units as the ogres are too fast for them to keep up and the gnoblars will not have any space to attack. Trappers are cool though.

Units of two belchers for the win! :)

[RARE] Gorger (75)

Gorgers are excellent and a very good investment. Take more if possible.

CarlostheCraven
16-03-2006, 13:07
Generally I like what you have here. But I have a couple of comments/suggestions

Your heroes -
I like where you are going with Kineater on your tyrant - re-rolling any sort of ld test for ogres is good. With that in mind, I believe you should have a Bruiser Battle Standard Bearer so that you can re-roll break tests as well - MSU ogres tend to lose combat by a point far too often. Also the re-roll in conjunction with maneaters is awesome.

I like butcher #2, but I would replace butcher #1 with the BSB. However that is just my play style. With one butcher I can try 4 spells a turn and a bound item which is great for 180 pts. With two butchers, I can try 6 spells (probably only 5 because of the increased difficulty) and a bound item for 355 pts. I think the lone butcher is the better investment.

I like running my squads of bulls and guts 4 strong, but I am still playing around with sizes myself.

Maneaters are so much better than gorgers. The gorger's entry rules are absolutely terrible. At best they are involved on turn 3. :cries: I field Maneaters in units of 1 with heavy armour and a great weapon or handguns. They are excellent for shooting down single characters that stray to far from their friends or chariot hunting. Also with stubborn 8, immune to psychology, and the BSB re-roll, they can tie up most units long enough for your guts or bulls to get into position for a flank charge.

Cheers

lord_blackfang
18-03-2006, 06:37
Thanks for your comments. After posting on the Ogre Stronghold as well, I decided to just fit two banners in there and hope for the best. Here's the tweaked list:

[LORD] Tyrant; Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Jade Lion, 1x Thiefstone (265)
[HERO] Butcher; Skullmantle, Bloodcleaver (175)
[HERO] Butcher; Bangstick, Dispell Scroll (180)
[CORE] 5 Bulls; Standard, Armour, Ironfists (235)
[CORE] 5 Ironguts; Standard (260)
[CORE] 20 Gnoblars (40)
[CORE] 20 Gnoblars (40)
[CORE] 9 Trappers (54)
[RARE] Gorger (75)

After I assemble this, I'll still have some Ogre models left over, which will be made into a Hunter, BSB, and two Maneaters for some variety.