PDA

View Full Version : 1k - Bretonnia force

Lardidar
15-03-2006, 22:16
Hi all,

I am thinking of making my next army a Bretonnian one, here is a 1000pts I knocked up using the battalion and a couple of blister packs.

Criticism is needed :)

Paladin - Grail Virtue, Virtue of Empathy, Morning star, Enchanted shield, Gromril helm - 133

Paladin - BsB, Conqueror's tapestry, Warhorse - 99

Damsel - Level 2, Warhorse, The silver mirror - 155

7 KotR - Full command - 192

19 Men at arms - Full command - 122

16 Bowmen - Defensive stakes, Braziers - 101

3 Pegasus knights - Full command - 195

Total - 997

The idea is for the foot Paladin to run with the men at arms to hopefully make them compete for a turn until I can counter charge with either the Pegasi or the KotR.

The bowmen are taking the Braziers because you never know when you may just shock a treeman (It could happen ;) )

So what do you all think?

gunlinetastic
16-03-2006, 11:30
I dont collect bretonnia, but I see you have a lv 2 wizard in your army. And no scrolls. One lv 2 probably wont get many spells off, if any. Drop his level, drop that mirror thingy (I have no idea what it does, but 2 scrolls will be better) and get yourself 2 dispel scrolls. This will be enough anti-magic in 1k.

Why 7 Knights of the Realm? If you put a character in it, it will only be 8 strong, so not a proper lance formation. If you plan on putting 2 characters in the unit, dont. In 1k, losing this unit will cost you the game. You should only ever put 1 character in a unit, unless you have a very cunning plan.

You will probably be best off dropping the men at arms and bowmen, and getting another unit of knights.

You should also drop the champion on the pegasus knights, as is it really worth all those points for 1 extra attack. Also, by doing this you cant be challanged, meaning when you try and assasinate an enemy mage or weak character you will get all your attacks, easily killing him. Also, this setup is better when facing dwarf warmachine crews. The 15pt engineer cant challance you, so you dont risk been held up by a bad roll in the challange.

Okuto
16-03-2006, 14:03
hmm.....well it seems alright, but just that I like to have another small unit of knights to clean up if the main lance hasn't routed the enemy on the first charge.

I think the grail vow isn't really needed much in 1K, I believe the questing vow is more suitable to tell you the truth

Lardidar
16-03-2006, 14:30
I dont collect bretonnia, but I see you have a lv 2 wizard in your army. And no scrolls. One lv 2 probably wont get many spells off, if any. Drop his level, drop that mirror thingy (I have no idea what it does, but 2 scrolls will be better) and get yourself 2 dispel scrolls. This will be enough anti-magic in 1k.

The mirror is a dispel scroll that also causes a S6 hit on the caster, I am not a fan of scroll caddying it just seems to be a cheap tactic. A level 2 in 1000pts should be more than enough, I was tempted to not take one at all but I like the miniature.

Why 7 Knights of the Realm? If you put a character in it, it will only be 8 strong, so not a proper lance formation. If you plan on putting 2 characters in the unit, dont. In 1k, losing this unit will cost you the game. You should only ever put 1 character in a unit, unless you have a very cunning plan.

The BsB and Damsal will join them to make it a 9 strong lance, risky but it should work OK.

You will probably be best off dropping the men at arms and bowmen, and getting another unit of knights.

I am looking for a more balanced Brtonnian army and peasants fit into that, besides I think the miniatures are great.

You should also drop the champion on the pegasus knights, as is it really worth all those points for 1 extra attack. Also, by doing this you cant be challanged, meaning when you try and assasinate an enemy mage or weak character you will get all your attacks, easily killing him. Also, this setup is better when facing dwarf warmachine crews. The 15pt engineer cant challance you, so you dont risk been held up by a bad roll in the challange.

The champion is already included when you buy the unit so you can't drop him, I also added the standard and musician just in case they were needed.

hmm.....well it seems alright, but just that I like to have another small unit of knights to clean up if the main lance hasn't routed the enemy on the first charge.

I will deffinatly add more knights as I up the points but I was trying to build the army from Damsal blister and a battallion box.

I think the grail vow isn't really needed much in 1K, I believe the questing vow is more suitable to tell you the truth

Just trying to make some points up, plus the magic weapon rule may come in handy against Etherial or Daemonic creatures. (a few dryad army's cropping up around my area at the mo)

Thanks for the comments so far .... anyone else fancy chipping in?

gunlinetastic
16-03-2006, 14:50
What, do Pegasus Knights get a free champion? Thats another thing on the beardy and overpowered list then...

Lardidar
16-03-2006, 15:05
Its not free, they have to take one though.

EDIT - As far as I can remember anyway .... don't have the book with me here.

Okuto
16-03-2006, 16:29
All "knighty" units get free champs.

Don't mind Gunline, I say get another small unit of maybe errant

gunlinetastic
16-03-2006, 18:18
OMG!! Free champions...time to start another thread about how broken Bretonnia are, including this reason!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-03-2006, 19:20
To be honest, the Pegasus Knights, with their lack of basic Combat res, could do with being swapped out in favour of a unit of Knights Errant, or possible Realm. Although they are pokey, I fear they are too easily dealt with (kill one, the other two could run off) for 1,000 points. Far better in my mind to put your faith in standard stuff, like Errants or whatever.

Sasquatch
16-03-2006, 19:37
Yeah, don't mind gunline, he recently got his butt handed to him by brets, so he's bitter.

From my point of view, I would also suggest you go for another unit of knight. You are seriously short on numbers. I play skaven and at 1K field around 135 models. I can easily afford to sacrifice a regiment to gun your nights down, or have you run into my stormvermin, hold you (and with a 3+ save I will) and then flank you from all sides. The rest of the army is dealt with by my other units and skirmishers.

At low point games, it's always a question of quantity vs quality. But quantity of mediocre troops is usually a better idea than a few quality troops. You just don't have enough to screen/distract to justify putting a very small expensive unit.

TheKid
16-03-2006, 20:40
I say you give the BsB the V. of Emp and put him with the M@A. And the Grail Vow isnt really needed in this list so u can drop it from your paladin and put him with the KoTR. Also drop the numbers of bowmen to 12 or 10. and find some space for at least 6 Knights Errant.

Lardidar
16-03-2006, 21:09
Ok, Thanks for the feedback, how about this.

Paladin - Warhorse, Heartwood lance, Enchanted shield - 119

Paladin - BsB, Virtue of empathy, War banner - 95

Damsel - level 2, Dispel scroll, Warhorse - 140

7 KotR - Command, Conqueror's tapestry - 217

9 Knights errant - Command, Errantry banner - 221

19 Men at arms - Command - 122

14 Peasant bowmen - Defensive stakes - 84

Total - 998

I think this looks beefed up a bit from the first, I lost the pegasus but gained a full lance of Errant knights.

This look better to you guys?

Sasquatch
16-03-2006, 21:40
Much better. Still only three combat units, but then your playing brets so that's actually pretty good.

One problem I think you will face is how to support your units. You have two that charge ahead, one that is much slower and another that kinda stays put and tries to shoot. Melding that into a cohesive battle plan will be difficult and if one of your cav units doesn't live up to expectations, you might just find yourself in a bad situation.

Best of luck and good gaming.

TheKid
17-03-2006, 03:11
I like that list much better.