PDA

View Full Version : Steamtank Failed Charge thread removed?

mishari26
07-12-2010, 06:08
I'm not sure why that thread was removed, but I was hoping some sort of consensus could be reached about this issue.

I suggested in that thread that when a Steamtank charges, you still roll the 2D6. and incase the enemy flees out of range, then the steamtank moves the highest of the 2 dice rolled.

Some people agreed, but someone said that the alternate charge rules for a steamtank replaces the full charging rules (which include the failed charge section in the BRB), hence the rule for using the highest of 2D6 can't be used for the steamtank.

I don't think so.. since GW intentionally "removed" the explicit sentence about failed charges from the Empire army book, it only suggests that they intended us to go back to the BRB.. if they wanted us to do something different, they would have been more explicit about it.

T10
07-12-2010, 06:41
Dunno why the thread was removed. I hadn't noticed anything particularly offensive in that thread.

As for the issue, three options spring to mind:

1. Move the full distance declared.
2. Roll 2d6 and use the highest.
3. Don't move at all.

In my opinion, no. 2 seems to fit best with the charge rules.

-T10

Hive Mind 33
07-12-2010, 06:52
IT says right in the FAQ you do not add the 2d6 to the charge range when a steamtank charges. SO i guess you either go until you are out of steam points, you can't add the sd6 to the amount of steam points/

CaliforniaGamer
07-12-2010, 17:50
I think its pretty clear the steam tank moves the full distance regardless of whether a declared charge suceeds or fails.

Also the tank can merely redirect as well into a new enemy in 8th ed.

mishari26
08-12-2010, 09:50
I don't think it's clear at all since if you notice the text under the Steamtank's movement concerning a failed charge has been deliberately removed in the FAQ.

in the FAQ'd version, there's no mention whatsoever of what to do in a failed charge.

the fact just says:
"Note that you do not add the roll of 2D6 to the charge range when a Steam Tank charges, and that the target unit may make a charge reaction as normal."

to me it's obvious that the sentence "do not add the roll of 2D6" does not concern failed charges, because in a failed charge you never add the whole 2D6 role, you only add the highest of the 2 dice.

having said that.. and the absence of of any rules of what to do on a failed charge (deliberate absence, since the army book exception for it got removed by the FAQ), then we have to default to the BRB's failed charge method on p.19

Ulke
08-12-2010, 10:15
Arent you also allowed to premeasure in 8th?
So why declare a charge you know you cant reach.

theunwantedbeing
08-12-2010, 10:22

The enemy can flee?

mishari26
08-12-2010, 10:44

yeah absolutely correct, you can premeasure, and then declare a charge with a number of steam points that will be enough to take you there. but as TUB said, the enemy can decide to flee, and then you can be short. hence, a failed charge.

Infact, I think it is exactly because of the newly introduced premeasuring in 8th, that the steamtank became "better" in this regard. It's not a random distance, while almost every other unit in the game has a random charge range.

Therefore, I think this is why it makes sense to have its failed charge NOT be the full distance, as a way of balancing out the steamtank's charge advantage.

Archangelion
08-12-2010, 11:27
I read it as you don't roll the 2D6 for the charge distance. Since you aren't doing so, there are no dice to consult for the failed charge distance (highest of the two dice rolled for charge distance). You don't get to magically summon two random dice totals for a failed charge roll if you didn't get to make the roll in the first place.

Torpedo Vegas
08-12-2010, 16:13
I'm going to agree with mishari, as there is nothing specified in the army book about failed charges we fall back to the BRB rules, as I think it makes the most sense. If the Engineer driving the tank realizes the charge he declared wont make it to the enemy, he isn't going to stop and back up to the exact spot he started at.