PDA

View Full Version : fluffy witch hunter army

kingbsa
07-12-2010, 10:40
hi, ok so basically over the next few months i going to be building a witch hunter theme empire army based around knights of the sacred scythe with lots of roused militia so the idea is to get members of warseer to help with list and ideas an i plan to do a blog on the modelling/painting and the gaming success of the army

so thoughts would be appreciated

cheers kingbsa

ps i may have to much time on my hands

Daniel36
07-12-2010, 10:50
Too much time is never bad.

One really big Flagellant unit would look really nice and "roused".
Pistoliers can be nicely converted to look very With Hunter-esque. You'll need other heads than the ones in the box though.

Good luck with it.

kingbsa
07-12-2010, 11:25
cheers, think flagellants are a given an so much useful stuff on sprue and a great unit and thinking about the pistoliers could switch to crossbow pistols an i sure ill have some heads somewhere. Planning on getting the mordriem witch hunters to convet to warrior preists

Torpedo Vegas
07-12-2010, 12:53
My witch hunter pistolliers use Flaggelant heads and a bunch of bits from that kit. Your Standards can be a big deal, this is one I made from flaggelants and zombies:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1gKknbQR-XM/TPwYu5IlWqI/AAAAAAAAAa0/ivQqWcedMTU/s1600/IMG_3373.JPG
Have you considered converting a War Altar?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1gKknbQR-XM/TP2k4HxCTFI/AAAAAAAAAbc/k3Ajb7Ukppo/s1600/IMG_3385.JPG

You may want to check out some of the project logs around here, and check out some blogs. There's a really good article on doing Command groups on GW's website.

theorox
07-12-2010, 15:30
Use a lot of Militia for core, converted to be Witchhunter-y. A huge block of Flaggies, preferably 50 or more in horde formation. For general, i suggest an Arch Lecto on Waraltar, supported by 2 or more Warriorpriest. Fill out the rest with whatever, but i'd avoid Gunpowder and Steampunk as much as possible. Crossbowmen are fine, but handgunners don't seem very Witchhunter-y. Also, a bunch of Knights of the Sacred Scythe obviously. ;)

That's what i'd suggest.

You can always model your Gunpowder stuff as something more thematic though.

Theo

Torpedo Vegas
07-12-2010, 16:30
Unit size of Flaggelants is 5 min to 30max..

kingbsa
07-12-2010, 16:39
thats quite an intimadating war alter:yes: yeah think 2 units of 30 so much that can be done with them models. should have mentioned the starting size i am aiming for is 2500 with the knights being the centre on focus maybe a unit of greatswords being the limited trained troops switching out the swords for scythes obviously the lack of warmachines will hurt but id rather sacrifice few more games than fluff

Torpedo Vegas
07-12-2010, 17:01
thats quite an intimadating war alter:yes: yeah think 2 units of 30 so much that can be done with them models. should have mentioned the starting size i am aiming for is 2500 with the knights being the centre on focus maybe a unit of greatswords being the limited trained troops switching out the swords for scythes obviously the lack of warmachines will hurt but id rather sacrifice few more games than fluff
Its a surprisingly easy conversion, it just took forever to scrape off all the spikes and Chaos symbols. I had an idea, an excuse to get warmachines in there, hear me out:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m350111_99110202130_KarlFranzDeathclawMain_445x319 .jpg
See that Griffon? Take build it without the Emperor on it, then model a cannon coming out of its mouth, maybe with a burning wick on the tail. Boom, you have a fluffy cannon.

BigbyWolf
07-12-2010, 17:06
A decent Witch Hunter character to lead the army is useful as well. Warhammer Quest or Mordhiem have decent models, and the stats/ equipment options for the plain Empire General do him justice.

EDIT: And there's no reason to invent "fluffy cannons" or try to excuse them into your army. I don't see any reason why a Witch Hunter wouldn't lay seige to a castle/ village should he feel the need to do so, and cannons/ mortars would be needed to do so effectively.

Plus there's nothing like the cleansing flame of an exploding mortar to wash away the sin!

I'd avoid anything too "techy": repeater handguns, longrifles, Stanks and the Helstorm/ Helblaster.

theorox
07-12-2010, 18:37
Unit size of Flaggelants is 5 min to 30max..

What the serious he...? And are they a 0-1 choice as well?

Theo

Torpedo Vegas
07-12-2010, 19:24
What the serious he...? And are they a 0-1 choice as well?

Theo

No, they aren't 0-1. Yes, Max size for one unit is 30, unless they FAQd it.

EDIT: @BigbyWolf
That does make more sense, though I am still probably gonna make a cannon ball shooting Griffin :D

Charistoph
07-12-2010, 21:50
Don't forget that a Warhammer Empire Witch Hunter is a lot like the Inquisitors of 40K (you can even use some of the models). It's not uncommon for them to have a pistol or 3 on their person, and would rouse the local State Troops to hunt out a witch. A Wizard can also be used, as the best thing to fight witch-fire is Aqshy. He can even light the pyre when you burn them. Rules-wise, a General and Captain with Ward Save and/or MR items (mayhaps the Templar Grand Master IF your knights are all Witch Hunters).

Play-wise, if you want to stay in character, just have whoever is a witch hunter character focus the unit's he's with to chasing down any Wizard character. If he's Dwarf, then after any Runesmith/Lord and their Anvil (hey, they "caste" magic, right?).

R-Love
08-12-2010, 00:49
A Wizard can also be used, as the best thing to fight witch-fire is Aqshy. He can even light the pyre when you burn them..

Most Witch Hunters would like nothing better than to burn the Colleges of Magic to the ground and send every magister to the stake. It's possible one would work alongside a Wizard, but it would be a fairly rare occurrence and likely involuntary on both counts. That's assuming the wizard doesn't have an "accident" one night...:shifty:

That being said, there likely are Witch Hunters who make use of Wizards, as long as they can use their filthy gift to the benefit of the Empire, but they need to be watched for signs of corruption. I would suggest any wizard you modeled should be disheveled and dirty, probably with several religious icons to keep the Witch Hunter happy.

Finally, I'd reccomend picking up The Witch Hunter's Handbook if you can, it's a great book and provides a good insight into the methods of the Templars of Sigmar (and it's hilarious :D)

If he's Dwarf, then after any Runesmith/Lord and their Anvil (hey, they "caste" magic, right?).

No, Dwarf runes seem to be equal opportunity, your birth status has nothing to do with it. :D

Voss
08-12-2010, 01:11
When thinking about a witch hunter list, I always figured on using a Light using Wizard to 'count as' a priest. It helped that in the original WHFRP materials [I believe it was talked about in detail in the first Enemy Within reference/adventure] Priests of Sigmar didn't get magic from gods, but taught each other spells exactly the way wizards do. It raised a lot of questions the Sigmarite priesthood Didn't Talk About.

BigbyWolf
08-12-2010, 01:17
VHS is also a good idea on a Witch Hunter, giving him a chance against some of the tougher nuts if it came to a one on one fight.

Charistoph
08-12-2010, 04:57
Most Witch Hunters would like nothing better than to burn the Colleges of Magic to the ground and send every magister to the stake. It's possible one would work alongside a Wizard, but it would be a fairly rare occurrence and likely involuntary on both counts. That's assuming the wizard doesn't have an "accident" one night...:shifty:

That being said, there likely are Witch Hunters who make use of Wizards, as long as they can use their filthy gift to the benefit of the Empire, but they need to be watched for signs of corruption. I would suggest any wizard you modeled should be disheveled and dirty, probably with several religious icons to keep the Witch Hunter happy.

Finally, I'd reccomend picking up The Witch Hunter's Handbook if you can, it's a great book and provides a good insight into the methods of the Templars of Sigmar (and it's hilarious :D)

I was just referencing what is in the Empire Army Book, and they specifically mention using Wizards to counter a Witch's magic.

No, Dwarf runes seem to be equal opportunity, your birth status has nothing to do with it. :D

I don't quite follow this statement. Runesmiths/Lords are the only ones who practice anything close to magic. The Anvil would certainly seem magical to a zealous witch hunter. Of course, now that I think about it, so would a Gyrocopter...

someone2040
08-12-2010, 06:15
User Captains as the Witch Hunters.
Sprinkle in Warrior Priests where you need them.
Lots of Militia to be the zealots and mobs.
Crossbows and Archers should be fine as well (Archers as Zealots with bows).
Knights can be used for the more Sigmar Devoted Knightly Orders.
Pistoliers make great mounted Witch Hunters.
Flagellants are well Flaggelants.

Try to stay awa from the more expensive gunpowder like handguns and warmachines. But I wouldn't fault a cannon or two if you wanted to remain competitive. Just have a Witch Hunter overseer nearby commandeering the cannons.

Don't try and fit a Wizard in because Wizards are still the cool. It just ruins the theme of the army.

kingbsa
08-12-2010, 15:03
thank you fro the replys getting some good feed back i like the idea of grand mashal general and maybe a empire general converted as the witch hunter. heres link to the knight order im basing knights on
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&pageMode=multi&categoryId=cat440023a&section=&pIndex=9&aId=300007&start=10
obviously mainly operating in stirland a nice unit of huntsmen

Dark Aly
08-12-2010, 16:29
I don't quite follow this statement. Runesmiths/Lords are the only ones who practice anything close to magic. The Anvil would certainly seem magical to a zealous witch hunter. Of course, now that I think about it, so would a Gyrocopter...

I believe he was refering to the use of the word 'caste' which refers to the [indian] caste system of social status is determined at birth as opposed to the intended idea of turning the word 'cast' in to psuedo 'olde englishe' wheree everye worde hase ane ee one thee ende ofe ite

Edit: you could also use plenty of archers and a few warmachines would not be unfluffy, although a small state troops army would be needed too i think as someone has to maintain the machines. but it is easy to imagine a garrison of a watch tower 'persuaded' to join with a rather irrate witch hunter mob as they will likely have the same fears/prejudices/fervour as the regular citizens too

kingbsa
08-12-2010, 17:19
thanks for the input guys looking forward to doing this project blog

Torpedo Vegas
08-12-2010, 17:24
Make sure to link us, I wish to see how it turns out

kingbsa
08-12-2010, 18:03
aye will do just that will be starting it next tuesday so in mean time the more input the better

thanks guys

kingbsa

Beast
08-12-2010, 18:11
Why not have an imprisoned witch/daemon being forced to cast spells by the witch hunter?

Andy

Duck Dodgers
08-12-2010, 18:37
I was just referencing what is in the Empire Army Book, and they specifically mention using Wizards to counter a Witch's magic.

Actually, I would (for fluff purposes) use Warrior Priests. They still get extra dispell dice. Your own magic phase would be poor (the prayers being more easily dispelled by the enemy), but an arch lector and 2 war priests adding 4 dispell dice to your pool will make your opponents phase a pain as well. And, if you have the points packing in more priests can be done.

We're starting an excalation league and I was going to build just such an army. I think it will be fun!

R-Love
09-12-2010, 04:55

This.

I believe he was refering to the use of the word 'caste' which refers to the [indian] caste system of social status is determined at birth as opposed to the intended idea of turning the word 'cast' in to psuedo 'olde englishe' wheree everye worde hase ane ee one thee ende ofe ite

In other words, I was really bored and wanted to make a very dumb joke :p

kingbsa
09-12-2010, 17:03
i will be using warrior priests going for grand mashel general, plus a standard general kind of like one leading the 'trained' troops knights and maybe great swords and the empire being the main witch hunter and his preists leading militia, huntsmen,crossbow reckon a cannon/morter would be ok give a nice modeling piece maybe using a dwarf cannon as base and heavy blessed.

not sure on a wizard although someone pointed out mentions it in army book but only lore that fits is fire

Charistoph
09-12-2010, 18:23
not sure on a wizard although someone pointed out mentions it in army book but only lore that fits is fire

It depend on the reason why the WH brought him along. A Grey Wizard could have earned his trust by saving him in an earlier conflict. A Hierophant's or Alchemist's knowledge would provide key information in breaking a coven or daemonic pact. A Jade or Amber Wizard would be there as a field medic or Vet. A Necromamcer is used to talk to those slain by potential threats.

But for bringing in a captured/bound/penitant wizard, Bright Wizards would be the best representatives.

Torpedo Vegas
13-12-2010, 06:27
A Necromamcer is used to talk to those slain by potential threats.

Amethyst Wizards aren't necromancers though. And even if they where, would a witch hunter really be helping a person who defiles the souls of the faithful?

Charistoph
13-12-2010, 06:50
Amethyst Wizards aren't necromancers though. And even if they where, would a witch hunter really be helping a person who defiles the souls of the faithful?

6th Edition army book stated that the practice of the Lore of Death was sometimes called Necromancy. Remember, that there are 2 perspectives on Necromanctic magic. One is for power, which is the Vampiric form of Necromancy, raising puppets and delving the secrets of immortality. The other aspect is the communion with those who have passed on, for information or the cleansing of souls, and it is this last version that is usually used by Amethyst Wizards. I simply used the term Necromancer for theatrical effect (and this is how most witch hunters would see them). And the last is also the reason an Amethyst would be used by a witch hunter (I did mention that specifically). What better person to ask who or what killed them than the person who was slain?

Torpedo Vegas
13-12-2010, 11:46
Snip
That made me think of an interesting scenario:

WITCH HUNTER: Forsooth, come wizard, summon this corpse's spirit.
*ZAP*
SPIRIT: Who has drawn me from Morr's kingdom?
WITCH HUNTER: Twas I, Traugott Dolf. Praythee, what slew you?
SPIRIT: Wolves.
WITCH HUNTER: Witches you say?
SPIRIT: No, a pack of wolves attacked me as a walked.
WITCH HUNTER: A pack of Witches?! Clever fiends...

Charistoph
13-12-2010, 16:23
That made me think of an interesting scenario:

WITCH HUNTER: Forsooth, come wizard, summon this corpse's spirit.
*ZAP*
SPIRIT: Who has drawn me from Morr's kingdom?
WITCH HUNTER: Twas I, Traugott Dolf. Praythee, what slew you?
SPIRIT: Wolves.
WITCH HUNTER: Witches you say?
SPIRIT: No, a pack of wolves attacked me as a walked.
WITCH HUNTER: A pack of Witches?! Clever fiends...

And that's a SMART Witch Hunter! A stupid one would have tried to shoot the ghost, then stabbed wizard for raising him!

Reminds me of that one Ranger in Baldur's Gate...

RanaldLoec
13-12-2010, 17:31
Have you seen the Avatars of War Witch Hunter model.

It would make an awesome general or alternative arch lector model.

Torpedo Vegas
13-12-2010, 18:24
this guy? (http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/images/minis/aow20/aow20_blister.jpg)

SthPacific General
13-12-2010, 23:15
Warrior pope..... Here's mine!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=715&pictureid=3350

Cypher, the Emperor
14-12-2010, 05:39
this guy? (http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/images/minis/aow20/aow20_blister.jpg)

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/images/aow35_blister_thumb.jpg
That guy^

Also check this log:
http://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/painting-and-modelling-f3/the-chair-s-log-t2253-25.htm