PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Marine Backpack

Aedes
07-12-2010, 20:46
Concerning the Chaos backpacks-- I am a bit mystified.
I first thought they were just older marks for their older battle suits.
But when looking at the older suits in the SM codex, they have the skinnier
backpacks.
Why do Chaos Marines run around with these extended pipes that can easily
be shot off?
And would they scavenge new backpack of dead loyalists and use them as is or do their "pimp my backpack"?

Felwether
07-12-2010, 21:06
I believe there's a mention of CSM backpacks being modified to incorporate extra power cells in the current codex, maybe that's why?

Pontiff
07-12-2010, 21:15
I think its simply a stylistic thing to give them their own identity and throw back to old RT days when the chaos marines were more 'warped' and their armour more baroque and overgrown than the much more clean looking at the time Imperial ones.

In much the same way that chaos BFG fleets are supposed to be an older design of ship which logically would, you'd think, mean that some Imperial fleets may have some older 'chaos' designs in their fleet given that stuff serves for milennia and is never scrapped or sold off.

But game wise it just gives you a different look doesnt it.

As with many things in 40k its style over substance and it really doesnt hold up to scrutiny.

Lothlanathorian
07-12-2010, 22:38
I think its simply a stylistic thing to give them their own identity and throw back to old RT days when the chaos marines were more 'warped' and their armour more baroque and overgrown than the much more clean looking at the time Imperial ones.

In much the same way that chaos BFG fleets are supposed to be an older design of ship which logically would, you'd think, mean that some Imperial fleets may have some older 'chaos' designs in their fleet given that stuff serves for milennia and is never scrapped or sold off.

But game wise it just gives you a different look doesnt it.

As with many things in 40k its style over substance and it really doesnt hold up to scrutiny.

There is actually an in-universe explanation for BFG and the ships being different. The Imperial ships are newer models and, I know, for at least one line of ships, there manufacture and use was forbidden because the ship type was 'prone to turning traitor'.

Pontiff
07-12-2010, 22:57
I seem to recall reading that too. I still always meant to do an 'old imperial fleet that had returned after being lost in the warp' using chaos designs though... never came to anything mind - it was an effort just to get my Imperial and regular chaos fleets painted. :)

MarshalFaust
08-12-2010, 00:26
not all chaos marine armor is of older marks or stolen. some of the better equipped legions such as the black legion, iron warriors and word bearers have access to the dark mechanicus forge worlds. i see no reason they wouldnt make their own modification or even new marks of chaos power armour. but to answer your question its purely a design choice to set them apart from loyalist marines.

adeptusphotographicus
08-12-2010, 00:48
check out the new FW models of Mk II, and MkIII SPace Marine power armor. One can easily see how the old style backpacks are a proto-chaos backpack. really, they look just like them, especially the old ones that come with the Khorne Berserker set.
I have also wondered that why the extensions. If I were to make some manner of educated guess I would think it has to do with resources.
All the newer loyalist backpacks we see are AM creations, one can see the evolution.

Chaos however starts with mostly the very old style then undergoes a separate evolution. Thus the similarity from original to the ones we all know. plus variation, there are like 6 or more plastic CSM avail and many metal ones, with just the main one with slight cosmetic variations for the Loyal Marines.

plus the very obvious effort to keep a "look"

Col. Tartleton
08-12-2010, 01:05
From the Heresy artwork it seems that each legion had its own variants of the Mks during the Crusade and Heresy. Luna Wolves and Thousand Sons look like totally different Mks but that's the same one. The artwork shows much more customized looking armor than the models and pretty different looking.

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/images/attachment/space-marine-6407.jpg

http://etendencies.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/plague_marine.jpg

You simply don't have that kind of scale and detailing.

Night Bearer
08-12-2010, 02:06
There's an interesting theory regarding CSM backpacks - the original designs have two sets of exhaust ports, one set on the extended 'arms' like you see now, and a second set near the base of the arms, not far from where you'd expect them on loyalist backpacks.

The theory is that the design was originally meant to be a jetpack, with the arm exhausts being the jump portion, the design idea being that jumpacks were simply normal backpacks with a brace of propulsion exhausts attached to the top, but that either a change in mind or a misunderstanding led to the design eventually being codified as a warped backpack, minus the secondary set of exhausts on the pack itself.

LexxBomb
08-12-2010, 04:34
plus we also know that the armor morphs to suit the soul of the wielder... pre 3rd ed ( see inquisition war trilogy and "eye of Terror")... if a traitor dons a suit it morphs to reflect the corrupted soul... but if a pure and noble individual dons the armor it morphs into a brilliant suit...GW may have scrapped that idea along with chaos armor literally becoming your skin.

Stonerhino
08-12-2010, 06:26
Pretty sure that was just khornate armor. That's why it was 2+ rather then 3+ like other chaos SMs.

LexxBomb
08-12-2010, 06:39
well this was back in the day when fantasy and 40k were the same place... and 40k characters appeared in fantasy... heck the demons were the exact same demons.

Abaddon's armor was a 2+ on 2d6 as apposed to the 3+ on 2d6 as it was a form of Chaos Armor and that eventually became the 4+ inv he has now instead of the 5+