PDA

View Full Version : Using the DA Ravenwing box set for generic SM?

Night Bearer
08-12-2010, 01:56
Hello,

Would the Ravenwing box set (6x bikes, attack bike, speeder) be a good expansion set for a 'generic' (i.e. non-DA) Space Marine force, as in: can the models can be built as generic Marine kits?

I've been thinking of buying one in order to add a bike squad and a speeder to my army, and I guess my concern is that - in order to cut costs - the set is packaged somehow so that you can't build everything without having to use the DA bitz, esp for things like torsos/heads/shoulder pads on the riders.

Also, what weapon options does the included speeder come with? Anything beyond the heavy bolter / assault cannon shown on the box art?

Prolly a dumb question, but I wanted to make sure before spending a lot of money.

Thanks in advance!

Grand Master Raziel
08-12-2010, 02:00
The Ravenwing Bike Squadron is basically a 3-man SM Bike Squadron with the addition of a Ravenwing Accessory Sprue. Youu shouldn't have any difficulty using it for a generic SM army.

Sgt John Keel
08-12-2010, 02:22
The Ravenwing battleforce comes with all the normal Space Marine parts plus three Ravenwing upgrade sprues. IIRC, the Land Speeder comes with the normal Heavy Bolter/Multi-melta (likely the old kit, but I'm not sure) and parts for the Master of the Ravenwing on the Ravenwing sprues (twin-linked assault cannon and twin-linked heavy bolter, and typhoon missile launchers as well).

According to direct sales, the set should also come with the newer rounded bike bases nowadays.

AlphariusOmegon20
08-12-2010, 02:32
Hello,

Would the Ravenwing box set (6x bikes, attack bike, speeder) be a good expansion set for a 'generic' (i.e. non-DA) Space Marine force, as in: can the models can be built as generic Marine kits?

Oh hell yes!!! I've bought 3 so far for the exact same purpose.

Night Bearer
08-12-2010, 04:11
Good to hear! Thanks for the info, although is there a new version of the basic Land Speeder kit I should know about?

Mini77
08-12-2010, 04:42
The kit in the Battleforce is the old (3rd edition) kit. The stand alone kit is a newer one and is far, far better to put together. When assembled there's very little discernible difference though.

The Land Speeder in the DA box come with assault cannons, heavy bolters and typhoon missile launchers. The stand alone kit has more options (multi-melta, heavy flamer).

Sir_Turalyon
08-12-2010, 11:24
According to direct sales, the set should also come with the newer rounded bike bases nowadays.

I can confirm that set I bought had these.

AlphariusOmegon20
08-12-2010, 17:57
The kit in the Battleforce is the old (3rd edition) kit. The stand alone kit is a newer one and is far, far better to put together. When assembled there's very little discernible difference though.

The Land Speeder in the DA box come with assault cannons, heavy bolters and typhoon missile launchers. The stand alone kit has more options (multi-melta, heavy flamer).

All mine were built from the battalion boxes and all of mine have MM's and HF's (They were bought for my Sallies.)

I think the MM's came from multiple LS Storms though. I don't remember offhand.

decker_cky
08-12-2010, 17:58
I can confirm that set I bought had these.

Interesting that they changed these but not the landspeeder. I guess they still have old landspeeder sprues to clear out.

Dark Aly
10-12-2010, 09:00
be warned that the set contains no special weapons for the bikes, power fists, heavy flamer for the speeder and only one multi-melta so either the attack bike OR the speeder to get one.

Earthbeard
10-12-2010, 09:45
I buy the ravenwing sets even for my Chaos, much cheaper and you get more bits :P

Sgt John Keel
10-12-2010, 17:32
be warned that the set contains no special weapons for the bikes, power fists, heavy flamer for the speeder and only one multi-melta so either the attack bike OR the speeder to get one.

Surely this isn't correct? There is a multi-melta on the Attack Bike sprue and, as far as I can divine, there should be one on the old Land Speeder sprue as well.

Dark Aly
10-12-2010, 18:11
yep you're right. i've just had a look. none of the other bits i listed though.

now where have all my multi meltas gone.......hmmmm........

LonelyPath
10-12-2010, 18:39
ou get a HB and MM for the LS, and same weapon options for the AB, they are both separate distinct kits, like you'd get if you bought them individually. There is also a power sword on each of the RW upgrade sprues you get with the BF.

Apart from those there are no weapon options in the set.