PDA

View Full Version : Age of Darkness extract

Nazguire
08-12-2010, 18:09
Appears to be from first glance that the story "Iron Within" is about loyalist and traitor Iron Warriors fighting one another. Possibly one of those Iron Warrior garrisons fending off a traitor attack on this Lesser Demantyne place they speak of.

Londinium
08-12-2010, 18:13
Appears to be from first glance that the story "Iron Within" is about loyalist and traitor Iron Warriors fighting one another. Possibly one of those Iron Warrior garrisons fending off a traitor attack on this Lesser Demantyne place they speak of.

Interesting. The Iron Warriors would immediately strike me as the kind of legion that would have deep fractures within it, considering the primary motivation for it's turning against the Emperor was Perturabo's mental state more than anything else. It's not like Angron, Lorgar or Konrad Curze where they were slighted by the Big E. I could see scope for a rather large loyalist contingent within given their rebellion was based entirely upon their Primarch's state of mind and paranoia. I wonder if a split would emerge between those present on Olympia that hadn't experienced that and still stayed loyal elsewhere.

Nazguire
08-12-2010, 22:19
Interesting. The Iron Warriors would immediately strike me as the kind of legion that would have deep fractures within it, considering the primary motivation for it's turning against the Emperor was Perturabo's mental state more than anything else. It's not like Angron, Lorgar or Konrad Curze where they were slighted by the Big E. I could see scope for a rather large loyalist contingent within given their rebellion was based entirely upon their Primarch's state of mind and paranoia. I wonder if a split would emerge between those present on Olympia that hadn't experienced that and still stayed loyal elsewhere.

The way I see it, those far-flung garrisons would have the most cause to stay loyal, for being seperated from Perturabo and the parent Legion for so long.

Yet at the same time these Legion garrisons would also have a high reason to betray the Imperium as well, particularly if they had regular communication with Perturabo that emphasised their isolation, division and forced exile to lonely worlds by the Imperium. The garrison of a single squad of Iron Warriors on a world of millions mentioned in their IA comes to mind.

bound for glory
12-12-2010, 19:57
do you have a link? thanks!!

Nazguire
14-12-2010, 14:16
do you have a link? thanks!!

www.blacklibrary.com

It was on there on the Intro screen.

Saul
14-12-2010, 17:45
Wow, great story! I can hardly wait to read the book.

Time to paint some more loyalist Iron Warriors :D

bound for glory
14-12-2010, 18:37
i'm not seeing it...

Saul
14-12-2010, 20:13
'ere we go

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/Excusive-Age-of-Darkness-Extract-God-King-Tour-Dates.html

bound for glory
15-12-2010, 05:21
thanks! looks really good!

reds8n
15-12-2010, 17:37
Another wee Age of darkness extract..

Exclusive Age of Darkness Extract

From the short story ‘Forgotten Sons’, by Nick Kyme:
Heka’tan was naked but for a pair of training fatigues. He had prepared the ash and the brazier. He had observed the rites and warmed the branding iron. The flame was born in the cradle, and within its blazing grasp he found purity and a sense of truth. Repressed memory came with it…

The dropship was taking fire from all sides. Much of its armour plating was punched through by lascannon blasts and several of its heavy bolter armaments were destroyed. Heat emanated from the interior. Shadows lurked there, of broken bodies silhouetted a visceral red from the incendiary fires inside. The guts of the ship lay strewn across the Isstvan plane where a cloying fug of smoke roiled. Hot tracer whickered through air screaming with the discharge of bolters and heavy cannon. Somewhere in the distance, by a shrouded ridgeline, an explosion blossomed.

‘Ta… king… vy… ire…’ The broken vox report crackled in Heka’tan’s ear.

‘Gravius! Is that you, brother?’

‘Affir… mative, brother… aptain…’

‘Fall back immediately and assume defensive postures.’

Around him, the fight was intensifying. Gunfire, scores of overlapping bolter bursts, rose to a deafening frenzy. Enemy cohorts were massing from the east and west, and advancing on their position.

Enemy cohorts.

The notion was insane, a crazed nightmare brought to life on a dead world with only the dead to witness it. For surely, that’s what they all were.

‘Brother… aptain…’ There was a pause not caused by the static interference.

Figures were resolving through the artificial fog. Their hulking forms wore the colour of hard steel, of grey unyielding metal. Iron.

The Urgall Depression was no place for a last stand. The ravine resembled a charnel field and not a place about which great deeds were sung. There would be no glory face down in the blood-drenched tundra slain by one’s own brothers.

Gravius continued and for once the link was clean. ‘What’s happening?’

Heka’tan had three hundred and sixty-two Astartes left in his command. They had forged a ring around the shattered dropship. Over half that number again was forever entombed inside their vessel, lost before the fight had even begun, a fight the brother-captain didn’t understand.

‘Assume defensive postures,’ he answered, for want of something better, something that made sense.

The line of iron opened up its weapons. Fusillade met fusillade as both sides engaged, hundreds of muzzle flares ripping up the smoke like jagged knives of hot light.

It was but a skirmish in a maelstrom of death. This was a battle like no other. It was a reckoning. It was a show of force. But above all else it was fratricide on an epic scale.

Heka’tan’s words to Gravius sounded hollow even to him. ‘Hold out as long as you can.’

It was over. Even before he’d seen the armoured column advancing behind the infantry, Heka’tan knew it. He took a round to the shoulder, the explosive impact nearly tearing off the pad and spinning him. A second struck him in the chest and he staggered.

One of his own, Ikon he thought, died to a throat wound. More followed, too numerous and rapid to count. Apothecaries were a pointless luxury during this nascent massacre. The air shimmered with the heat of shells passing so close that some struck one another and deviated from their original targets. Above, Thunderhawks and Stormbirds tried to affect an escape. Heka’tan saw several in the livery of the Raven Guard and Iron Hands plunge from the smoke-blackened sky like fire-wreathed comets. Distant explosions announced their destruction.

Bleak was not the word for their chances.

Fatalism, yes, but capitulation was not amongst Heka’tan’s emotional vocabulary. Sons of Nocturne were born of sterner stock. They came from the earth and its fiery heart-blood. They would not go to Mount Deathfire with the foe unbloodied.

‘Burn them!’

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/Excusive-Age-of-Darkness-Extract.html

Lupe
16-12-2010, 17:03
Looks like Sallies getting killed off by Iron Warriors. And it's really not bad writing, either...
Whoa... I can't wait for this book...

Nazguire
18-12-2010, 07:22
Be an interesting viewpoint, from the eyes of a surviving member of the massacre. Kyme has so far described Hek'atan as having no idea what's going on, just that people are dying and they are on some rock with no real clue as to why they are killing Marines.

nagash66
18-12-2010, 10:08
Age of Darkness is looking pretty good between this and the Iron Warriors story's.

reds8n
09-02-2011, 08:54
http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/Age-of-Darkness.html

the err.. official.. ? extract is up.

tinfoil
09-02-2011, 14:34
I really like BL's policy of showing more advance peeks into their stuff. No less than three extracts from Age of Darkness (perhaps because it's an anthology?)

My appetite is thoroughly whetted!

BlackLegion
09-02-2011, 18:51
Interesting...but the ...faith is irritating me? A paraying Astartes? A Cleric mentioned? I thought the Imperium of 30k is a secularo ne with no place for faith.

Lord Lorne Walkier
09-02-2011, 20:44
It seems the inner Warsmith animosity i saw in Storm of Iron has roots in the Pre Heresy Legion. I can not wait to see who from the IV Legion may be on Garro's list. Perhaps this Zygmund Tarrasch? Iron Palatine? Wzat? Perhaps the IV's Liberians? 30 v thousands? This has the potential to blow up a winchels.

DeeKay
09-02-2011, 22:55
The description of Lord Dantioch's mask and how he put it on is just epic. I'm looking forward to this.

With regards,
Dan.

LokkoRex
10-02-2011, 07:11
awesome, finally some love for the sons of perturabo!

i sure hope the loyalist warriors win, the thought of the inquisition/grey knights being founded by loyalists from the traitor legions is just so entertaining.

laudarkul
10-02-2011, 22:02
Maybe with the new GK codex will receive some more hints;).

Lord Lorne Walkier
10-02-2011, 23:06
Maybe with the new GK codex will receive some more hints;).

Would be great timing on that. I agree that now is the time to let some of the secrets of their founding leak.

ansible5
19-02-2011, 11:11
Iron Within complete story is in Hammer&Bolter issue 5 for those interested, a reallly good read.

Lupe
19-02-2011, 19:58
Iron Within complete story is in Hammer&Bolter issue 5 for those interested, a reallly good read.

Quite. And Rob Sanders pretty much nailed the Iron Warriors.

Warsmith Dantioch is rather interesting, for a loyalist. Every move he makes is just a signature of his legion. Incredibly simple, effective beyond belief, utterly ruthless, and invariably causing mass destruction from a considerable distance. And he orders each and every one without a giving a shred of thought to the morality of the order, going on nothing but his instinct and cold calculations of the flow of battle.

He's blunt, arrogant to the utmost, and, while not really paranoid, he's certainly expecting the worst out of everything.

And, as a bonus, he's suffering from a rather cool cough and some near crippling battle damage.

Dead.Blue.Clown
19-02-2011, 22:52
And, as a bonus, he's suffering from a rather cool cough and some near crippling battle damage.

"Jussst as Count Dooku predicted..."

Lupe
20-02-2011, 04:14
Aaron, damn you, I was really trying to avoid referencing the SW prequels :)

reds8n
06-03-2011, 17:52
Finished this book today.. great, all good stories, not a duffer amongst them. All feature nice angles or approaches or matchups, and they all add to the setting very well.

I was very, very, very happy with Mr. Sanders Iron Warriors tale indeed. More please.

And fell even more in love with Mr, Wraight after his superb story which fills me full of even more hope for "The Battle of the Fang"...

.. which is just as well I've got that too then.

Was absolutely sure this would be the best tale in the book and then Mr. Dembski Bowden sweeps under the closing door at the last moment -- even reaching back under it to retrieve his dropped hat and (narrowly) claims victory.

One of the few times I've genuinely found myself saying out loud "oh ****** ! " when something happens.

I hope he's prepared for the whining from two sets of fans as to why he's wrong and what really would have happened as etc etc ad nauseum.

..oh there's a line about steam -- bear with me here -- which is possibly the bestest and driest and funniest bit of general sci fi observational humour I've yet read. Golden. :D

Lord Lorne Walkier
06-03-2011, 18:15
Finished this book today.. great, all good stories, not a duffer amongst them. All feature nice angles or approaches or matchups, and they all add to the setting very well.

I was very, very, very happy with Mr. Sanders Iron Warriors tale indeed. More please.

And fell even more in love with Mr, Wraight after his superb story which fills me full of even more hope for "The Battle of the Fang"...

.. which is just as well I've got that too then.

Was absolutely sure this would be the best tale in the book and then Mr. Dembski Bowden sweeps under the closing door at the last moment -- even reaching back under it to retrieve his dropped hat and (narrowly) claims victory.

One of the few times I've genuinely found myself saying out loud "oh ****** ! " when something happens.

I hope he's prepared for the whining from two sets of fans as to why he's wrong and what really would have happened as etc etc ad nauseum.

..oh there's a line about steam -- bear with me here -- which is possibly the bestest and driest and funniest bit of general sci fi observational humour I've yet read. Golden. :D

Ok, time to beg for Spoilers. Plz plz plz plz plz plz plz PLZ Give some hints. Legions involved would be great. Names of Stories also.

shadowhawk2008
07-03-2011, 16:56
I know that the IW short is called Iron Within, Iron Without.

There is also a Salamanders Istvaan short with Brother Grayvus from Nick Kyme's Salamander as one of the protagonists.

McNs
07-04-2011, 15:50
Quite. And Rob Sanders pretty much nailed the Iron Warriors.

Warsmith Dantioch is rather interesting, for a loyalist. Every move he makes is just a signature of his legion. Incredibly simple, effective beyond belief, utterly ruthless, and invariably causing mass destruction from a considerable distance. And he orders each and every one without a giving a shred of thought to the morality of the order, going on nothing but his instinct and cold calculations of the flow of battle.

He's blunt, arrogant to the utmost, and, while not really paranoid, he's certainly expecting the worst out of everything.

Can't agree enough; this was an excellent take on the Legion as a whole and very much not "We like sieges and siegeworks and we're angry and bitter and stuff".

The prose is wonderful, Dantioch really pops, and Sanders did a wonderful job differentiating the Iron Warriors from Iron Hands/Salamanders, even though there are parallels to be drawn.

Can't wait to read his story in the new Space Marine anthology!