PDA

View Full Version : 'In nomine sanguis', another Primarch illustration...

Aerion the Faithful
16-03-2006, 04:29
Hey there!
Well, since my images have been really well received (and i'm on a roll!), i present you now with the latest from my drawing board: an illustration of the Blood Angels' Primarch Sanguinius. I am deeply haunted by the legends and myths of every Primarch, and i will try to illustrate them all (or at least the most prominent). And, in this ocasion, i will also reaveal a little bit of the proccess i use when developing an image (because many have asked me about this, and i know others will find it interesting). This is in no way meant to be a tutorial, but rather a sort of insight into how the creation of an illustration takes place. I hope you'll find it useful...

The first thing i do is sketch out the idea i have in my head of how the illustration should look like; this is a quick thing, just to catch the right pose, and adjust the things the that don't fit... Usually this thumbnails don't measure more than 2"x2". In this case, i had a very clear idea of how i wanted it to look, so this is what i turned out with:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Sketches/Innominesanguis.jpg

After the first sketch, i move onto the canvas, and begin drawing what will be the final image. Here i will add more detail, and concentrate on the figure work and background (if there is any). In this case, the background was going to be minimum, so as to not overwhelm the eye with a lot of pieces and end up with a confusing image. This is how the final pencils turned out:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Sketches/Innominesanguis-Finalpencils.jpg

Finally i can move onto the inking and colouring. This is what usually takes longer, but it is the most rewarding step of the three, because slowly the illustration comes to life. For this one i used a limited palette consisting of black, white and red. The lighting at this stage is crucial, so i pay special attention to this. After some final touch-ups and adding of effects (such as glows and stars), the final result is this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/Innominesanguis-Final.jpg

Well, i hope you enjoy this as much as the previous posts. C&C are always welcome, and any questions you might have, just ask...

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

PS.. Wich Primarch do you think should be next in line? ;)

NorthernMike
16-03-2006, 05:18
Ol' Bob of the Ultras.

The far hand looks a bit awkward, but then i don't know how well those gloves fit.

By the way - just awsome! Like the idea of his hair being white as his wings and skin.

Satan
16-03-2006, 06:24
The funny thing is that the filter at my work blocks all these nifty pictpures, I'll have to take a look when I get home and post some comments then.

I'd like to see Mortarion - you could always post that one up on deathguard.org as well, it's actually a quite strong community and I think you'd receive some high praise there.

Hideous Loon
16-03-2006, 07:29
Wow. Nice work, Aerion. Really, really nice.

Dakkagor
16-03-2006, 08:21
I think Corax of the raven guard will fit your style quite nicely. Or Leman Russ, for a real challenge.

Awesomely sweet picture, by the way. GW needs an artist like you on their BL team if you can produce stuff like that.

Verm1s
16-03-2006, 08:34
:eek:

You know, I'm starting to change my mind about the style.

malika
16-03-2006, 09:10
Omg...when you said you were going to do something with blood I thought you were going to make Angron, but this...wow:eek: The crying face on the shoulder is a very nice touch!

Escaflowne_Z
16-03-2006, 11:29
Your style still throws me for a loop, but you're obviously good at it. And the rate at which you churned that out...*goes back to drawing crooked stick figures*.

punkoteloco
16-03-2006, 11:49
Again my friend, its horrible. Terrible style, horrible colours... you have no clue on how to draw.......
What the hell, i cant say those words. This is beautifull. The pose, colours, everything, i hope you do LionÚl Johnson. Again, great work

punkoteloco

malika
16-03-2006, 12:31
How long did it take you to make that one?

A neutral shade of black.
16-03-2006, 12:34
Wow. Nice work, Aerion. Really, really nice.

QFE.

Just, wow. More please?

McMullet
16-03-2006, 12:37
Once again, amazing work! Not much else to say really...

hairyman
16-03-2006, 13:16
That's lovely, dude. Really nice. Though about turning your hand to an eldar farseer or pheonix lord?

Cyberjankie
16-03-2006, 15:09
Nice one! :D

Aerion the Faithful
16-03-2006, 15:18
Fellow brothers... THANK YOU! I know it sounds like i'm repeating myself, but i want you to know that i'm really honoured by your enthusiasm and support. I will answer some questions...

Just, wow. More please?

Of course!

How long did it take you to make that one?

Actually, i was kind of inspired yesterday (and stayed up reaaaally late :p ), so i probably wrapped it up in about a day's work. Some 7 hours i believe is the number, more or less.

To everyone else who had such kind words towards my art, as i said before, thank you enormously.
Keep those comments coming, brothers, i'm here to answer all questions (except those that are 'god' realted, such as the origin of the universe and stuff :D )

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

malika
16-03-2006, 15:27
Its cool to see that you are doing the Primarchs, I dont know if you are going to do all, but the idea of doing pre Heresy art is cool! Just as artpieces not full blown projects or webcomics. Im working with a few people on a potential "re-write" (http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=631) of the Horus Heresy which is basicly more a correction of the damage done by the latest interpretation of this historical event. We will also be deepening out certain details and stuff like that. And well I thought it could be cool if we could use some of your art for it if you like. I mean Im not interested in forcing you to draw certain things, but if we could use your art (for which you will be fully creditted) would be cool! I mean for you it would also be a change to see your art appear on more places which is basicly free publicity for you :D

Im very curious how you would do Night Haunter now :evilgrin:

Flame of Udun
16-03-2006, 17:30
Aerion, I've just had a look at all your stuff on you photobucket albums :eek: and all I can say is awesome, awesome, awesome and more awesome! I love the style, it's very slick and clean, reminds me of a cross between Jim Mahfood and Humberto Ramos. I like the fact that you use a very constrained pallette, it really focuses the images.

[EDIT] As for which Primarch, I reckon you should go for Lion Úl Johnson, primarch of the Dark angels. Personally I'd love to see your version of one of the Phoenix Lords, either Jain Zar or Baharroth, or a Tyranid Hive Tyrant with your graphical stylings that would be properly fresh! :D

FreakForge
16-03-2006, 18:57
Now Here you go!

That┤s enough !

First you come to my home and eat all the Lasagna ,... smoke my cigarettes ,... and blame the poor dog !

Now, you stole the name of my scripts to put it on in another crappy draw that you made!

I hate you :mad: ,....

He,he ,he well done friend.

FreakForge

PS: make Uncle Morti

malika
16-03-2006, 19:18
For some reason Im getting a mental image of you like some Argentine mother with a really thick accent screaming that out...that and the Peruvian jokes about Argentines every time they figured out I was part Argentine :D

But okay...I would really like to see a cool Alpharius picture, the one from the Horus Heresy cards is really...well crappy to say it in a polite manner

de Selby
16-03-2006, 19:28
I vote for Mortarion, as the sickness overtakes him... one side of his face with a chiselled jaw and noble brow, the other side turning to pustulent corruption. It'll stretch your clean style, I think.

Colours: olive green, fading into darkness...

malika
16-03-2006, 20:06
Hmm personally I would try to stick to the pre heresy looks of the Primarchs, however my image of Mortarion was already quite dirty and rugged for some reason.

Ravenheart
16-03-2006, 20:36
That is some really great art there Aerion. What I like best about your drawings is the 'life' they contain. There are so many pictures around, that despite all the detail just seem dead and aseptic. You on the other hand pull off a strong style, while still comic-like, it catches the beholder completely (well, me at least).

And while I'm on it, I second the vote for Lion el'Johnson.
(maybe teamed-up with Russ?)

malika
16-03-2006, 20:53
Oh an interesting picture would be the battle on Caliban between the Dark Angels and the Fallen Angels, Luther vs Johnson!

Aerion the Faithful
17-03-2006, 02:58
Well, another round of interesting feedback on this new illustration! I'll get right down to the answers...

And well I thought it could be cool if we could use some of your art for it if you like. I mean Im not interested in forcing you to draw certain things, but if we could use your art (for which you will be fully creditted) would be cool!

Malika, mate... you have a GO in using the images you like. Just remind people they are mine :evilgrin: . Thanks.

Now Here you go! That┤s enough !
First you come to my home and eat all the Lasagna ,... smoke my cigarettes ,... and blame the poor dog !
Now, you stole the name of my scripts to put it on in another crappy draw
that you made!
I hate you ,....
He,he ,he well done friend.
FreakForge
PS: make Uncle Morti

Hey! What good is having a friend if you're not allowed to STEAL from him!? :D . I'll take the compliment and be done with it... (oh! and you got it all wrong: the dog ate the lasagna, and the cat somoked the cigarettes :p )

That is some really great art there Aerion. What I like best about your drawings is the 'life' they contain. There are so many pictures around, that despite all the detail just seem dead and aseptic. You on the other hand pull off a strong style, while still comic-like, it catches the beholder completely (well, me at least).

You sir, have complimented on one of the things i believe i pay more attention to, most of all: life. I think that an illustration can be technically achieved at all levels, but if it is lacking 'life', then its sort of hollow. I try to convey a sense of movement to my images that will make you go 'Wow! This guy could really actually move and throw Chaos worshippers around!'. So, thanks for pointing that out; i'm glad you perceive the effect.

And the votes seem to really favor Lion el'Johnson, and Mortarion is tempting also... well. I'll gues you will just have to comment a little more and make me decide wich one of these two fine gentlemen will go next, right?

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

Cpt_Tiberius
17-03-2006, 03:54
Wow....

Seriously I think this is my favorite Sanguinius pic of all time. The design is hands down the best, my only real criticism is the sculpted face on the pauldron. I feel like it needs more highlights on it, especially the eyes and tears. they feel rather flat. Also while I understand that you were sticking to your trinary color scheme I would hav liked to have a hint of yellow to the hair. Nothing to stark mind you, just a light tinting of color. Otherwise it's as well done as the rest of your work. It's good to see the Primarchs being handled with such skill. Really makes me want to whip up a new illustration of my own. Keep up the good work.

Oh...as for the next Primarch I cast as many votes as possible for Konrad Curze! With Rogal Dorn a close second... :)

Aerion the Faithful
17-03-2006, 15:39
Seriously I think this is my favorite Sanguinius pic of all time.

Hey Captain, thanks for that HUGE compliment. And for the critics, i'll sure be taking them in consideration for the next one...

And i don't know about Konrad Curze, but Rogal Dorn... he's one of my favourites... ;)

Until soon

Aerion the Faithful

17-03-2006, 15:53
Yeah, but Curze rocks, just because of who he's based on...

Anyway, once you're done with Dorn, could you move on to a few Traitor primarchs? And for the love of all gods, do not depict them as evil bad guys (they weren't, not until the end of the Heresy)! I'd like to see Curze mimicking Brando's superknown hand-in-heads position from Apocalypse Now (yes, I know AN is based on a book called Heart of Darkness, thank you), or Angron and his gladiators in a very noble position, or something along those lines - though it's in no way my place to dictate what you should draw, of course. :)

Cpt_Tiberius
17-03-2006, 16:31
Aerion, I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it... :)

I think Dorn is hands down my favorite primarch. There all cool, but he is the most like me. He was never interested in anything other than doing a great job for the Emperor. He's just so down to earth, besides the guy walks around in eye-blindingly bright yellow armor. You just have to respect his confidence. :P

As for the traitors, the Night Haunter is my favorite if for his literary connections. I mean I think Batman and Marlon Brando would make awesome space marines :) Of the others I would love to see Angron done right, I didn't care for his look from the HH cards. He just seemed to glam and not gladiator enough for me. I did like Mortarion though...

17-03-2006, 17:00
I think Dorn is hands down my favorite primarch. There all cool, but he is the most like me. He was never interested in anything other than doing a great job for the Emperor. He's just so down to earth, besides the guy walks around in eye-blindingly bright yellow armor. You just have to respect his confidence. :P

Pfah! Dorn is a bumbling ***** who saw no further than his nose, performed his duties mindlessly and rejected every bit of common sense offered to him. His arrogance knew no bound, and neither did his stupidity. :P

Lord-Warlock
17-03-2006, 17:45
As ever, Aerion, utterly blows-the-feth-out-of-everything-else-astic. Sanguinius actually seems to be looking at me - you've captured the life in him extremely well.

As for who should be next in line: Night Haunter. A brilliant wreck of a superman, betrayed by all he ever felt dear, crouching in the shadows like the primal beast he is...

After him, Perturabo, Jaghatai Khan and Leman Russ, in no particular order. Also love to see what you'd do with the blood-frothing monster that is Angron.

17-03-2006, 17:57
'cept Angron wasn't a blood-frothing monster, not at the beginning. He's an honourable warrior, entirely leeched off of Spartacus, but nonetheless... :lol:

Nid
17-03-2006, 19:41
Now, forgive me, but even in early fluff weren't the World Eaters psycho-surgeried frothing lunatics?

Verm1s
17-03-2006, 20:11
Just what I was thinking.

After hearing some of the suggestions and reasons, I have to throw my hat into the Curze circle too.

Pfah! Dorn is a bumbling ***** frothfrothfroth...
Yeah, well, he had a big star fort. So nyah. :p

Kjell
17-03-2006, 20:18
Here I was going to mention how the picure had life, even soul, and someone else goes and steals my thunder. :p

Jokes aside, that is particularly why I like your style. It's a fresh new take on 40K, which is splendid in my opinion.

Oh, and I'll say once again that I hope you'll draw Magnus the Red. ;) As a proper cyclops, and not that silly "lost-one-eye" thing he has going in the Sabertooth CCG... But really any Primarch would be a joy to see.

Revlid
17-03-2006, 21:03
I actually prefer the "lost one eye" style, as the cyclopean look always seemed rather brutish and stupid-looking to me.
Peturabo or Mortarion. A traitor, at any rate. There's an idea, assuming you wish to do all of them eventually; alternate the drawings between Traitor/Loyalist. Only an idea, so take it as you will.
But not Dorn next. Dorn was a blundering, incompetent braggart who not only alienated one of the most hard-working Primarchs but then couldn't back up his claims.

17-03-2006, 21:43
Now, forgive me, but even in early fluff weren't the World Eaters psycho-surgeried frothing lunatics?

Angron wasn't, so I presume the original (pre-taint) weren't either. They had the berzerker psycho chip implanted in their brains which they'd switch on when going into battle (those were implanted into the gladiatiors' brains, and Angron felt it suited his style pretty well so implanted his own marines with them), but were otherwise normal marines, noble and all.

That's an idea, actually. Have the image split in two in a kind of Jekill/Hyde thing, with the regular knight-looking Angron in ceremonial armour on one side and a blood-craving lunatic on the other (keep the exact same gear, just change the mood and colours to make one side incredibly pure looking and the other incredibly dark looking).

But not Dorn next. Dorn was a blundering, incompetent braggart who not only alienated one of the most hard-working Primarchs but then couldn't back up his claims.

Yay!

I actually like to think Magnus had one eye, but not in the centre - more like one never developped or the flesh grew over or something freaky. It'd make him look "normal" all the while being suitably freaky to look likea great sorcerer.

Aerion the Faithful
17-03-2006, 22:05
Pfah! Dorn is a bumbling ***** who saw no further than his nose, performed his duties mindlessly and rejected every bit of common sense offered to him. His arrogance knew no bound, and neither did his stupidity. :P

Hey! I thought that was Guilliman... :D . But, well, it seems that Dorn is out of the question for now, and since i'm trying to please the fans here, i won't argue. Still, you'll have to suffer him, 'cause i like him, and besides: who knows? Perhaps i'll make him so interesting, you'll forget about his arrogance and stupidity ;) .

And there are some really good ideas floating around this thread that i might have to stea-- borrow for the next illustration. :p

alternate the drawings between Traitor/Loyalist. Only an idea, so take it as you will.

Actually, that's not a bad idea at all, mate... Mmmmmmm...

Well, if my weekend allows it, you'll see the next Primarch soon, very soon... and thanks again for the wonderful comments on my art.

Until then

Aerion the Faithful

Kjell
17-03-2006, 22:14
If you're going to be, ah, inspired by an idea in this thread, please be so about Magnus having just regular flesh were his other eye should be. I think I'm actually going to support that idea instead of the cyclop one. :p

Tom
17-03-2006, 22:19
I'd like to see how Pert˙rabo and Vulkan would look.

Having a fight.

17-03-2006, 23:28
And there are some really good ideas floating around this thread that i might have to stea-- borrow for the next illustration. :p

I'll let you in onto a little secret about how the world works. In life, there are people who can, and people who have ideas. Nether get very far without the other. It's called cooperation. ;)

Having a fight.

In mud.

In their underwear.

What? >.>

Revlid
19-03-2006, 19:24
If you're going to be, ah, inspired by an idea in this thread, please be so about Magnus having just regular flesh were his other eye should be. I think I'm actually going to support that idea instead of the cyclop one. :p

All in favour say "rhubarb".
"RHUBARB!"

19-03-2006, 19:56
All in favour say "rhubarb".
"RHUBARB!"

Seeing as it was my idea...

Cake and sodomy!

Er, rhubarb.

(Those who've ever been part of a play should understand.)

TWB
19-03-2006, 20:23
PS.. Wich Primarch do you think should be next in line? ;)

Yet to see a good rendition of Ferrus Manus, those big necrodermis gloves are SO Deathshead II :D

Great work, as per usual :D

my_name_is_tudor
20-03-2006, 10:15
Yet to see a good rendition of Ferrus Manus, those big necrodermis gloves are SO Deathshead II :D

Didn't notice this one? (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28389) Or just didn't like it :P

AgentZero
22-03-2006, 22:06
I think you overdid it with the crosshatch in the gauntlets.
In the sketches it was good, but the final version got too cluttered and colored over.

The rest is great.
The details are really good.

You have the talent to make money with your skills.

TWB
I don't recall DeathsHead II having gauntlets like that.
Besides , DH 1 is the cooler version , II is just a shameless regurgitation to support sales of the Marvel UK invasion in the US. One of Marvels' great ideas:angel: Like Heavy Hitters and the Barker line.

DH 1 in the Fantastic Four during Simonsons run was a nice treat.

MIGHTYPanhead
22-03-2006, 22:50
I'd like to see how Pert˙rabo and Vulkan would look.

same. two not-so-common primarchs. along with kahn, he's cool too

keep up the good stuff aerion!

Flame of Udun
23-03-2006, 00:06
I think you overdid it with the crosshatch in the gauntlets.

:wtf: There is no cross hatching on the gauntlets!?

Briscoe
23-03-2006, 00:24
The muscle look to the under armor reminds me of Count Dracula's armor in the begining of the Dracula movie with Keanu Reeves and Anthony Hopkins

Great work

AgentZero
23-03-2006, 06:03
:wtf: There is no cross hatching on the gauntlets!?

:wtf: Yes there is.:skull:
Under the skulls and before the wrists. Gauntlets in many RPGs etc carry from the elbow down........
greaves and the like are only in more detailed systems.

Bernie Wrightson made it look easy in his Frankenstein collection.

Aerion the Faithful
23-03-2006, 20:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame of Udun
There is no cross hatching on the gauntlets!?
Yes there is.
Under the skulls and before the wrists.

Actually, i know exactly what you are you are talking about. But i wouldn't call it crosshatching per se; i believe it should be rather referred to as 'ornament'. I actually tried to go for something less detailed when i inked the piece, but i ended up opting for what you see in the final version. The reason is that the more 'less detailed' version seemed a little bland, and i prefer it to be more baroque, at least in that part of the illustration.

The muscle look to the under armor reminds me of Count Dracula's armor in the begining of the Dracula movie with Keanu Reeves and Anthony Hopkins

Actually, that was the inspiration for it... Glad to see you noticed it. Thanks for the kind words.

Aerion the Faithful

TWB
24-03-2006, 03:45
Didn't notice this one? (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28389) Or just didn't like it :P

just plain missed that one, I'm happy now though.

I TWB
I don't recall DeathsHead II having gauntlets like that.
Besides , DH 1 is the cooler version , II is just a shameless regurgitation to support sales of the Marvel UK invasion in the US. One of Marvels' great ideas:angel: Like Heavy Hitters and the Barker line.

Big-melty-hand-thing. That's what I thought anyway:p.

Great work

A little bit like This (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060101026&orignav=10) too