PDA

View Full Version : Just listened to Raven's Flight Audio book

Mage
10-12-2010, 00:32
Hey everyone. Was wondering if anyone else read this?

I bought it last week, to treat myself for my birthday. Everybody forgot at work...

Anyhow, I'm not bitter about those wasters.

I found the narration by Toby Longworth pretty good, not to mention the voices of the characters, and the sound effects. It was also nice to find more information on the Raven Guard at the time of the heresy, and gain some insight on Corax's character, which I have not come accross in any scraps of the fiction so far (I haven't read all that much either now).

Anyway, I'd recommend it. Its not very long, but the story is good, and I'll be getting more of these audiobooks in future, as my drive to and from work is about 60km each day. Sick of radio stations that play pop...

Anyone else read this?

Antigonos
10-12-2010, 01:21
I listened to it and I found it one of the best audiobooks out there.

If you are looking for more material on Corax, check "The First Heretic" by Aaron Dembski Bowden. He makes an appearance that will definitely not disappoint even the most hardcore fans of the Raven Guard.

Mage
10-12-2010, 01:37
I really need to read "The First Heretic". I keep hearing so much cool stuff about it.

I plan on expanding my audiobook collection.

Londinium
10-12-2010, 02:26
Yeah Raven's Flight is awesome, especially how Gav Thorpe folded the old Codex Imperialis fluff scrap about there being an invisible Primarch into Corax's psychic ability. It's a lot better than the other recent HH audiodrama, Garro:Oath of Moment. I'd definitely back up what the previous poster said, you if enjoyed Raven's Flight get The First Heretic. Corax only pops up for about 4/5 pages but it's awesome.

Gav also has a short story and full HH book on the Raven Guard coming out in the next year to eighteen months.

Mage
10-12-2010, 02:39
That Primarch power he had was pretty cool. Personally, I would have put a spolier bar on it.

Is Garro's one any good? I am seriously thinking of getting it?

I more than likely will pick up the first heretic. There seems to be a lot of interesting nuggets like that which crop up, at least from what I've read in other threads.

More Raven Guard stuff coming out? Cool. Can't wait.

Londinium
10-12-2010, 02:54
Garro is so/so. Not much actually happens in it, a nice look into librarians post Nikea and some hints at Garro's post Istvaan role and that's about it.

Mage
10-12-2010, 03:50
That's just enough to pique my curiosity.

What confused me about 'A Thousand Sons' that when the Emperor banned pyschics, that Librarians still exist today. Unless there is something massive and blatantly obvious I'm missing out on.

Also, the weapon Corax has the Mechanicum fashion him was cool, and the rivalry with the Iron Warriors. Nobody liked Perturabo eh?

Nazguire
16-12-2010, 05:10
That's just enough to pique my curiosity.

What confused me about 'A Thousand Sons' that when the Emperor banned pyschics, that Librarians still exist today. Unless there is something massive and blatantly obvious I'm missing out on.

Also, the weapon Corax has the Mechanicum fashion him was cool, and the rivalry with the Iron Warriors. Nobody liked Perturabo eh?

The Librarians issue hasn't been resolved yet. Whilst they were banned prior to the Heresy, the order was rescinded sometime during or after the Heresy. Presumably during the Heresy, when the Legions started using psychics again against the Imperials, the Imperium realised it'd have to fight fire with fire.

Ramius4
16-12-2010, 05:24
I bought and listened to it and quite enjoyed it. It's over-dramatic as you'd expect, like an old radio drama, but that's part of its charm. The story was simple and straight to the point.

Some of it I didn't care much for. The interaction between the (can't remember his name) army guy, and the (can't remember his name) marine quickly became redundant. You can only say the same thing a couple of different ways before it gets old. And it got old.

Corax's inner monologue was fun and well written. He had a depth of character that had some thought behind it. I loved his insights.

Corax in battle was just pure fun. The whip? Bad ass.

Model_Bits_Matt
16-12-2010, 07:45
I listened to it quite a while ago and then again a couple of weeks ago and it didn't disappoint second time round :D

I love the way Corax is described in battle, he's just so bad-ass lol. I will admit though I know what you mean about the exchanges between those two fellows seeming a little redundant after a while, I wonder if they were just trying to fit too many events into that one audio book.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Ramius4
17-12-2010, 20:26
I will admit though I know what you mean about the exchanges between those two fellows seeming a little redundant after a while, I wonder if they were just trying to fit too many events into that one audio book.

Nah, more like stretching a 15 minute story out to an hour;)

Hammer49
23-12-2010, 11:58
I really enjoyed ravens flight. First audio book I have listened to.

Mage
25-12-2010, 02:30
I intend on getting more soon, the horus heresy ones will be intersting on audio book.