PDA

View Full Version : Just how useful IS Terror?

Your Mum Rang
16-03-2006, 12:15
I know it is quite dependant on the army (Daemons and other ITP armies) but I plan to run 2 Treemen and a Terror-causing Branchwraith.

Spread out these can cause terror tests across a whole battle-line.

Is this worth doing? Armies like Beastmen, Skaven, O&G and other Human armies can be quite susceptible.

You guys have much experience? Or should I just save 25pts and give my Branchwraith Pageant of Shrikes?

yphead
16-03-2006, 12:22
will win you the game against armies that do terror and fear tests, against undead or deamon armies....unsure....playing is the only real way of finding out;)

Crube
16-03-2006, 12:25
You'll probably come unstuck against undead armies, or similar, or ones that have units tat are either imune to psychology, or cause terror themselves...

Also, I have found that occasionally, a unit fleeing as a result of terror is what you dont want. They have an annoying tendency to rally and bug the hell out of you, whereas if the Treeman had got into combat...nice squishy unit :D

What you describe can work, but it can be a double edged sword...personally, i'd put the 25 points into a bit of magic defence...

Gorbad Ironclaw
16-03-2006, 12:26
In a simple word, it's not.

Multiple terror causers especially quickly becomes redundant, and I'd certainly not bother with more than 2.

It can be Okay, against armies thats vulnerable to it. Problem is, those armies are getting fewer, and it's still only one test per game. Even a Ld 7 army likely won't be that effected by it.

It can be a nice gimmick, but I wouldn't base my plan around it.

Using a dragon for a few years with my dark elves, and the number of times terror really done something usefull for me can be counted on one hand.

ROCKY
16-03-2006, 12:27
It is actually very useful, especially against units that have low ld (goblins, skaven, etc) also it is good against creatures like ogres since they only have fear(it will make them fear you instead being as 1terror=2fear).

Kahadras
16-03-2006, 12:30
I've only ever found it useful against certain armies. I used to play against a lot of Undead, Chaos and Lizardmen armies so I kinda stopped using terror as it was pointless. The odd time I have played against Goblins its been quite funny though.

Kahadras

Your Mum Rang
16-03-2006, 12:31
So I suppose that I should use the Terror spite VS low LD armies.

Or is it still redundant even then as I already ahve 2 Terror-causers in the army?

SuperBeast
16-03-2006, 13:43
Get a way watcher noble with the wraithstone.
Plucks up your Terror no end. :)

Star.Scream
16-03-2006, 16:09
>>>>>I play Tomb Kings, and I usaly run a Giant and a item on my King that makes him cause fear; and I do the same thing, I spread these 2 out accross the battlefield and try to cause as many terror tests as possible. It sound great, but some games the enemy wont fail a single one; however, there have been times when it as worked very well and has disrupted the enemy line so well that its like running over cattle.

Conclusion: It might not work when you really need it do, but the day it does have an impact you'll notice it.

Lyonator
16-03-2006, 16:22
I'm looking at doing something vaguely similar, as far as going for disruption, but I'm not planning on having more than one terror causer...
haven't used my Woodies yet, but pretty sure the 'stone, starfire arrows, and possibly the terror spite will be involved.

Your Mum Rang
16-03-2006, 16:25
So, I think that the two inherantly terror-causing things will be good as they will work sometimes but sometimes won't.

But paying to get terror when you don't know who you're gonna face is very risky and apossible waste of points.

Starbane
16-03-2006, 20:36
terror is good as you can keep some units out of your way for the duration of the battle,
of course, against armies with a high leadership it's more of a guess to see if any units get affected at all

then again, I think two terror-causing things should be quite enough..start to take more...and soon people who play armies like skaven and goblins won't be willing to play against your army anymore...always leave some space for other tactics

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-03-2006, 20:42
I have 4 Terror Causing creatures in my army, and I love them!

Terror is more than just Fear with a Radius. Remember, if your fighting Undead, they depend on Fear to win combats. With a Terror causing beasty of your own, you have a solid lump to block any pursuit.

Against Goblins, Orcs, Humies and even Ogres they are quite good fun! By all means take them, but don't decide to make the Terror part of your strategy! It's not dependable enough.

Icarus
16-03-2006, 21:40
I think the real benefits of Terror are more defensive than offensive. As Mad Doc says, they reduce the usefulness of enemy fear-causing units. They also mean that you don't have to worry about most units attacking them, allowing your terror unit to move relatively freely. As a Skaven player I hate terror-causing units as they ruin my ability to set up traps with my slaves.

Crazy Harborc
16-03-2006, 23:59
I've used terror in my new Woodies army. My opponents forget which Dryad unit has a Branchwraith. The ol' treemen are still seeing battle on 50mm bases.........I am waiting for a treeman forest-fire sale:D

Mad Makz
17-03-2006, 00:27
Terror is an effective weapon against some opponents, and entirely ineffectual against others. In this regard it is similiar to some shooting, magic, and even combat units in that it will really help your army against some armies, but be of little use against others.

It is also useful because it provides immunity to fear and terror, so it adds to that units/characters reliability (however, often terror causes are immune to psychology as well, so the bonus is less relevant for those units/armies.)

When you should take terror: If you army build is likely to be able to deal well to elite, high leadership/immune to psychology troops, but have trouble with low leadership, high number spread out hoardes. The more units your opponent has, the more likely your terror causes will be to disrupt their battle plans.

Occassionally Terror will help win you a game versus an elite army, because their key expensive unit rolls poorly. But this is highly situational and will only happen around 1 in 12 times you come across this situation (based on leadership 10) and even then they are likely to have a re-roll (heavens magic, undivided chaos etc.) so it's merely a bonus versus such armies, but nothing to be relied on.

Alco Engineer
17-03-2006, 00:43
I've only just found a new respect for terror. On tuesday night I had a black coach that amazingly survived 6 fanatics aimed right at it. It was boxed in, so couldn't charge without getting smashed so I maneuvered it next to a unit of night goblins that sent the fanatics at me. (I was playing an all goblin army) He then failed his terror test next turn. Yeah big deal, but this lead to his bolt thrower crew, his stone thrower crew and his general (a lvl 3 shaman) all running off the board. The balck coah got shot by bolt throwers and died that turn, but without even getting in combat it managed to break and send off the table more that double its points worth. Absolutely amazing.

So against goblins its very handy (pretty obvious too I guess) but I'll admit that its the first time I've ever seen it really do something that was worth mentioning. I think its good, so long as it's not all that the unit can do. As long as the unit has a back up use then its always fun to gamble a little (sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't!)

T10
17-03-2006, 06:46
I can't say how useful it is since I rarely field Terror causing units - apart from the odd Giant. However, my most regular opponent likes to use big terror-causing fliers so I've had to deal with them.

The best way to handle Terror is to have your units take their test under the best circumstances, meaning while the General increases their leadership or while characters have joined their units.

That's not really that simple, since you will be taking the tests before you can move your characters around, forcing you to do some serious guess-work as to *where* the enemy will be positioning his monsters and "terrorists".

Since these guys are fairly mobile, you can assume that they will stay out of your charge arc. Thus they will initially move in on your flank and then behind your line, preferably close to the biggest number of unit (or a good target for its breath-weapon). Knowing this you can probably position your characters to reduce the impact of terror.

So, as the "terrorist", you may need to be a bit less greedy. You should always avoid prematurely affecting units under the influence of leadership-boosts - that wastes the terror effect completely.

-T10

Your Mum Rang
17-03-2006, 11:56
Good thought! Well since Treemen (what I use) are M5 this makes selecting who takes tests and when is more difficult. But with 2 evenly spread out (12" apart) they can cover (hopefully) a distance of further than the opposing general's LD boost can reach.

If I occasionally take 3 I'm laughing VS Gobbo's.

metallegion
17-03-2006, 14:11
If I was to make a VC army I would definately put 2 wraiths in just to charge the stupid skirmishers! ;) I like the idea of it but probably won't do too good.

Keller
17-03-2006, 20:26
I find terror to be quite useful, but not overly effective. I have taken to making my Ogre Tyrant a Demon-Killer-Scarred, so that he can cause terror. With his M6, possibly 7, He can get to where he can scare enemies more easily.

The best thing about causing terror is causing fear in other fear causers. Terror units tend to be small; a single monster or unit. The biggest problem is, most fear causers these days are also immune to psych. Undead, Demon, Forest Spirt... Luckily there are still a few that can be warded off with some unlucky dice.

If I was to make a VC army I would definately put 2 wraiths in just to charge the stupid skirmishers! ;) I like the idea of it but probably won't do too good.As much as I like wraiths, they just aren't worth it most of the time. They are more expensive, and less combat-effective than a Wight or Thrall, and don't add to your magic like a Necro. Ethereal is helpful from time to time, as is terror, but generally you are better off with a combat character to boost your unit's abilities. I have taken to using a Wraith against Gobbo armies though; both for the Terror and to trigger Fanatics, who can't hurt the Wraith. Since I don't usually know who I play in advance, that means that Wraiths are becoming a more regular part of my army, especially when I play Sylvanian.