PDA

View Full Version : Death Guard question

Koschai
10-12-2010, 20:33
While many of the legions have broken up into warbands and warring tribes (the World Eaters come to mind) some legions such as the Death Guard and Iron Warriors particularly retain a firm structure with a homeworld still ruled over by thier Primach and sallying forth to conduct the war's thier Primarch dictates.

This is not to say many (such as Typhus and his 1st Company) won't have broken free to pursue thier own goals but for a handful of legions out there we have a substantial intact and organized chaos legion.

So my question is, take for example Ignatius Grulgor, leader of the 2nd Company who per the Medusa V fluff GW put out still leads said company and without any contradictory evidence I suppose still follow Mortarians command (that's how I choose to see it anyway, wish GW would put him out as a special charecter though). What would his men identify themselves as?

Would they still call themselves the 2nd Company (or 2nd Great Company) or would they have taken some warband style of name in addition to the 2nd Company motif, or would they have dropped thier nomenclature entirely?

Mannimarco
10-12-2010, 20:40
A very good question.

Im not sure how Typhus and Ignatius Grulgor identify themselves (dont think its ever been mentioned) but the imperium still identify them as just "Death Guard"

A couple of Death Guard splinter factions have rebranded themselves with new names however such as the Apostles of Contagion led by the sorcerer Necrosius. The Purge, The Tainted and The Lords of Decay are also identified as Death Guard sub factions despite the name change.

Nazguire
10-12-2010, 22:29
I see that the Death Guard still maintain a general coherency, but Legion structure has broken down...if you follow.

So whilst the idea of 2nd Company or 5th Company only exists in title only, the Death Guard still follow a somewhat united cause compared to say the World Eaters or Emperor's Children.

Son of Sanguinius
10-12-2010, 22:47
For a warband, the only value in a name is psychological. I don't know that we've ever been told that the Death Guard warbands call themselves anything but Death Guard, but I think for the most part they wouldn't care. The goal is causing anarchy and despair through the perpetuation of disease and combat, not adhering to anything that could be considered legion doctrine.

As for specific companies, I doubt they would retain the nomenclature. Judging by the force of personality required to command warbands of Space Marines that would otherwise follow their own paths, I think the identification would focus on the name of the warlord in charge.

SultanBaal
10-12-2010, 22:51
Typhus is seperate from the Death Guard now I think, after Mortarion conquered and created the Plague Planet he became obsessed with creating a new Barbarus, so Typhus got fed up with that cause they were suppose to spread the loving joy that was Nurgle

Son of Sanguinius
10-12-2010, 23:55
Typhus is seperate from the Death Guard now I think, after Mortarion conquered and created the Plague Planet he became obsessed with creating a new Barbarus, so Typhus got fed up with that cause they were suppose to spread the loving joy that was Nurgle

I don't think that necessarily requires him to dissociate himself from the Death Guard Legion though. He could view himself as holding to the true ideals of the Legion where Mortarion has lost his way.