PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Necron Pariahs

Harbinger
11-12-2010, 00:56
As the title says...

1) Since Pariahs are not Necrons, from a standpoint of We'll Be Back, can they be repaired elsewhere, or once a Pariah is blasted apart is it gone?

2) If Pariahs can be repaired after destruction, do they loose their personality like regular Necrons?

3) Do Paiahs retain any sense of self or memory of their previous existance? If so would they act on it, such as vengeance against a particular type of perosn or taking people alive to forcilbly create the life it never had?

Thanks in advance.

dram
11-12-2010, 03:04
I'm not sure how canon the video games are, compared to Warhammer 40k proper, but in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade one of the Necron characters is a Pariah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warhammer_40,000:_Dawn_of_War_characters#T homas_Macabee

The head of a human archaeological expedition funded by the Tau authorities on Kronus, Macabee and his team inadvertanly opens the entrance into the Necron catacomb in the Thur'abis Plateau, waking them from their millennia long slumber. Whilst most of the team was killed, he was instead transformed into a Necron Pariah (Another occurrence of the 'Pariah gene' which is found in humans, but is quite rare), where he retained traces of his personality. He acts as both the spokesman for the Necrons, often telling the enemy their death was coming, and a sort of advisor for the Necron Lord. As he is not made entirely of necrodermis, he and all other Pariahs cannot self-repair.

grayghost
11-12-2010, 04:52
As for #2, I don't believe rank and file Necrons have personalities at all.

CommanderCax
11-12-2010, 08:35
3) Do Paiahs retain any sense of self or memory of their previous existance?

In a way, yes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QTESLdiHfHQ#t=58s)

Borg451
11-12-2010, 11:10
I'm not sure how canon the video games are, compared to Warhammer 40k proper, but in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade one of the Necron characters is a Pariah

The games are completly canon.. they give a good sense of a the 40K 'verse

DMB-Valentine
11-12-2010, 17:28
Just a theory here
So don't shoot if you don't agree!

But considering how old the C'tan actually are, perhaps they take one person/creature/thing alive and create a Pariah to understand what they're now facing?

Know your enemy type of thing

Necron
11-12-2010, 19:00
Since Pariahs are not Necrons, from a standpoint of We'll Be Back, can they be repaired elsewhere, or once a Pariah is blasted apart is it gone?

As it is known, humans possessing the Pariah Gene and taken prisoners, are turned into Pariahs when the C’Tan’s Essence is administrated to them.

This essence is the green glow that every Necron has. But, with Necrons, because of them being devoured entirely of their physical bodies, this essence is what keeps them “alive”. If, say, a Necron is suddenly and totally destroyed (i.e the necrodermis body – highly unlikely) then the warrior’s Essence phases out, returns to the nearest Tomb (or ship in orbit) where the Tomb Spiders will re-use it in another body that stands ready. Otherwise, the Necrons will repair themselves (the necrodermis allows that) as long as they are in the vicinity of others of their kind (the template thesis).

Now, with the Pariahs, things are a little different.
They are human, carrying the gene. Their bodies are left intact; they are not consumed, because in doing that the gene will be consumed too. So they are:
1. Fused with necrodermis, forming a kind of inter-link with their fleshy bodies. (think of Wolverine with his adamantium skeleton, for lack of a better analogy)
2. Here I’m going to answer your other two questions. The C’Tan Gene will do two things: one, it will fully activate the gene and two, it will strip the body of any form of conscience. Being a hybrid of both flesh and necrodermis it is highly acceptable that, once killed, they can not be repaired (hence the fusion of Necrodermis to give them as much protection as possible. Besides, they do bleed when wounded).

So the Necron pariahs will not have memory or conscience left (the Essence will “tell” them all they have to know, namely who the master is) and, if mortally wounded, they will die.

Lord Damocles
11-12-2010, 19:07
1) Since Pariahs are not Necrons, from a standpoint of We'll Be Back, can they be repaired elsewhere, or once a Pariah is blasted apart is it gone?
Unknown

2) If Pariahs can be repaired after destruction, do they loose their personality like regular Necrons?
Unknown

3) Do Paiahs retain any sense of self or memory of their previous existance? If so would they act on it, such as vengeance against a particular type of perosn or taking people alive to forcilbly create the life it never had?
Some do. Ref: Thomas Macabee from Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (Thur Abis Plateau).

EDIT:
The games are completly canon
Not everything in the Dawn of War game(s) can be considered cannon - the various endings of Winter Assault are mutually exclusive for example.

grayghost
12-12-2010, 16:17
Aren't Pariahs the C'tan's ultimate goal for all life in the galaxy? My understanding was that the Untouchable gene was planted by them millions of years ago to cut all life off from the Warp.

Lord Damocles
12-12-2010, 17:58
Pariahs are, 'the next phase of the C'tan's ideal for the galaxy' (Codex: Necrons, pg.17).

Whether they represent the final stage of this ideal is unknown.

Lord Inquisitor
12-12-2010, 18:02
I got the impression that the Pariahs were cyborgs (or hybrids if you will) and are created using captured "untouchable" humans. Kind of like Cybermen.

So presumably they can be repaired, providing the human component isn't killed (which may only be a brain or even subsection of the brain - whatever part contains the "untouchable" negative psychic presence).

oCoYoRoAoKo
14-12-2010, 10:39
As it is known, humans possessing the Pariah Gene and taken prisoners, are turned into Pariahs when the C’Tan’s Essence is administrated to them.

This essence is the green glow that every Necron has. But, with Necrons, because of them being devoured entirely of their physical bodies, this essence is what keeps them “alive”. If, say, a Necron is suddenly and totally destroyed (i.e the necrodermis body – highly unlikely) then the warrior’s Essence phases out, returns to the nearest Tomb (or ship in orbit) where the Tomb Spiders will re-use it in another body that stands ready. Otherwise, the Necrons will repair themselves (the necrodermis allows that) as long as they are in the vicinity of others of their kind (the template thesis).

Now, with the Pariahs, things are a little different.
They are human, carrying the gene. Their bodies are left intact; they are not consumed, because in doing that the gene will be consumed too. So they are:
1. Fused with necrodermis, forming a kind of inter-link with their fleshy bodies. (think of Wolverine with his adamantium skeleton, for lack of a better analogy)
2. Here I’m going to answer your other two questions. The C’Tan Gene will do two things: one, it will fully activate the gene and two, it will strip the body of any form of conscience. Being a hybrid of both flesh and necrodermis it is highly acceptable that, once killed, they can not be repaired (hence the fusion of Necrodermis to give them as much protection as possible. Besides, they do bleed when wounded).

So the Necron pariahs will not have memory or conscience left (the Essence will “tell” them all they have to know, namely who the master is) and, if mortally wounded, they will die.

Can i have a quote on that? I haven't come across anything about a C'tan 'essence' anywhere so far.

It was my understanding that damaged necrons are simply teleported back to their tomb world where they are rebuilt. When they were turned into Necrons, the Necrontyr brain patterns were transferred into their new bodies.

My own theory is that necron Living metal is actually made of Nanotech. This would explain how they are able to self-repair, and why they dont have any visible power supply (each component would be capable of self-replication, and have its own internal power-source).

With each regeneration, their memory (stored in their nanotech bodies) degrades making them more and more like mindless slaves. This does not apply to Necron Lords as they have a more sophisticated repair process.

On the subject of Parias, they are less 'terminator' and more 'darth vader'. Humans with the Pariah gene are augmented with cybernetics by the Necrons. Because of this, they cannot self-repair as true Necrons can (because they dont use living metal), and once their biological components are totally destroyed, they are gone for good.

Cy.

ChaosTicket
17-12-2010, 17:39
Pariahs are not Necrontyr but humans turned into Necrons. I think the overall thought is that the are Cyborg Necrons(brain in a robot) and therefore would not self repair. They need at least enough "human bits" to keep their pariah abilities.

In Game that made them a huge flaw as being 0-1 and not repairing ment they were much more valuable targets than Immortals.