PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my Orcs & Goblins

DigbyWeapon
11-12-2010, 07:28
Since collecting from 6th edition I've managed to pick up the 6th Edition box set and 2 of the Battle For Skull Pass boxed sets with various other models.
As Christmas is dawning I'm wondering which army I should start and I thought to myself 'why not collect orcs and goblins?' so I've come to you all for advice.

Currently I'm sitting with
- 16 Orc Archers
- 18 Orcs with 2 handed weapons
- 1 Orc on Boar
- 1 Orc Boar Chariot
- 80 Night Goblin Spearmen
- 40 Night Goblin Archers
- 20 Spider riders
- 2 Trolls
- 2 Night Goblin Big Bosses
- 2 Nigh Goblin Shamans
- 2 Night Goblin SB
- 1 scratch built Orc Shaman
- Gobbla and Skarsnik (got him for free:D)

I was thinking of buying some Boar Boyz and a war machine or two?

Suggestions would be great and any advice you can give me. Not looking for an ultimate list just something to augment, feel like I'm missing somethings.

Thank you in advance

wizbix
11-12-2010, 07:46
I would get one or two Orc bosses, an Orc shaman and concentrate on expanding your orc units to compliment what you already have. I would perhaps add another chariot or two and one or two rock lobba's.

sssk
11-12-2010, 08:02
I think tactically you probably need some warmachines in there (my favorite being a doom diver, followed by a rock lobba).

However modelwise, the boar boys are just fantastic so as a nice festive gift, I think they would be brilliant (I'm seriously considering including some in my goblin army, because they're just so cool....it's quite annoying actually).

you probably need some more bog standard orc boys, other than that, you seem to have the basis of a very good army there.

Citizen Lame
11-12-2010, 09:54
You really need some Fanatics, yeah they are very unpredictable and often harmful to your army but I think thats all part of being a O and G gamer. Also the models are really fun to do. I agree though with the other guys, a warmachine or 2 would help.

BigbyWolf
11-12-2010, 10:49
Boar Boyz are always fun, but a few more orcs in that list would be great, and if you like trolls the new River Trolls boxed set is pretty good too.

Jind_Singh
11-12-2010, 11:05
Currently I'm sitting with
- 16 Orc Archers
- 18 Orcs with 2 handed weapons
- 1 Orc on Boar
- 1 Orc Boar Chariot
- 80 Night Goblin Spearmen
- 40 Night Goblin Archers
- 20 Spider riders
- 2 Trolls
- 2 Night Goblin Big Bosses
- 2 Nigh Goblin Shamans
- 2 Night Goblin SB
- 1 scratch built Orc Shaman
- Gobbla and Skarsnik (got him for free:D)

Welcome to the ranks of the Waaagh!!!

OK - to basics....aim is for a 1500pt list to start with

I would keep the Spears as one unit at 80 big - if you don't want 80 at least 50 big, full command, netters, some fanatics (1-2)

Orcs need to be AT LEAST 40/50 big, at this point you could even call them Big uns as it's a starter army.

I would keep the archers as one unit of 40 NG, netters, FC, 1-2 fanatics

This will give you a solid core - all you need to buy is:

1 box of boyz, and then hunt for some extra lads
1-2 boxes of fanatics (I would buy 1 box, 2 for archer unit, 1 for spears)

And you have enough characters to start a basic waaagh

Now comes the fun units - this is why I love da Greenskins - it's all down to what models make you tick! See, for some it's about Orc Boyz, for some it's da Sneaky Gobbos, for others its monster madness!

Personally I would invest in some chariots - I like to have 2-3 per list - a mix of orc and wolf - to give my core units some wallop in hand-to-hand combat.

Squigs? Herder teams are amazing, even 5 herds in a single unit is a massive pain for the other general to deal with!

Warmachines - some say essential, I say so-so - yes they can do some great things but so can the ladz! If you do want warmachines start with doom divers!

2 doom divers, 3 lobbas, 6 chukkas is THE MOST artillary you will ever need - so just grab whichever ones take ytour fancy and over time add some warmachines here and there - but doom diver is a good start.

Grab a nice 'shoot me' unit as well - like a giant or trolls. Depending on which posts you read both are great - personally speaking I LOVE giants - never let me down - and they look amazing too!

So if I was in your shoes my final list of purchases would be:

1) 1-2 boxes of Orc Boyz
2) 1 box of fanatics
3) 2-3 chariots
4) Giant
5) Some warmachines (doom diver, lobba, 2 chukkas as a core)

And then play as many games as you can! Once you get a feel for what works for you, what doesn't you can expand the Waaagh in any which way.

Note I didn't mention Savage Orcs? I LOVE LOVE the Savages but I am hoping for plastics so that's why I don't mention them at all - they HAVE to become plastic!

HAve fun with them always

Morkash
11-12-2010, 11:26
1) 1-2 boxes of Orc Boyz
2) 1 box of fanatics
3) 2-3 chariots
4) Giant
5) Some warmachines (doom diver, lobba, 2 chukkas as a core)

Jind_Singh explained it alot better than I could...maybe get 2 Boxes of Fanatics, but otherwise:
Follow these words of wisdom!

Leogun_91
11-12-2010, 11:29
Don't get wolf riders or chariots, Wolf riders and boar chariots are the only plastic units that weren't on GWs safe to buy newsletter (and if we get one chariot it could easily be one that can be either wolf or boar chariot). So as those are likely to get updated, just don't get them.
Your orc unit is far too small, get a box of orcs to fill it out and you would do well in getting an orc boss to lead your army (unless you'll go with Skarsnik but even then a bigboss can give your units some extra hittyness). After that, get what you find to be cool, if you plan on getting both fanatics and a giant (or some giants) getting the giant first is to recommend as it has many large things that can replace the balls at the end of the chains in a cool manner.

theorox
11-12-2010, 12:36
LEOGUN IS RIGHT, WAIT UNTIL MARCH!

:)

Theo

Braad
11-12-2010, 13:25
I agree with a couple more orcs, but I vote against units of 50-80...
They're still good at fleeing, and if you loose those units, you lost about everything. With one huge unit, it's only one break test you need to fail.
I think 30-35 orcs, 40-50 gobbo's max, and then 2 units of each to still come up to the same numbers. Anything more is not likely to really add much.

To add a bit of variety, a rock lobber could be very nice.

If you intend on making this a 'real' army and paint all that stuff, you might just as well begin, and buy the rest when we know what we can expect in the march-release.

Robotlord
11-12-2010, 14:33
I've been having succes with samller units of boyz, 24 each. Warboss in one unit, Shaman in another. Arm them with two hand weapons and they just chop away. Then behind these guys a unit of 10 Boar Boyz. I know that this is quite ucommon as they ae over costed but I put my Blorc BSB in it. They move baout the battlefield to where ever he is needed to provide re=rolls. Then when units have been thinned about a bit, charge them in and finish them off. Use large nu,mbers of NG to hold enemy units in place while you set up for flank charges. Add in some Blorcs and warmachines, about 6 levels of magic, using both lores, and you have an army thst can take some abuse and give it back, The small units mean you never lose to many points at a time and can afford to sacrifice one in order to get the chage off.
Final thing. Do your best to get the WAAAGH! spell, it will help a lot if you canget this off on the turn you charge.

DigbyWeapon
12-12-2010, 10:05
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to get some more chariots and definitely expand the amount of Orc Boys I have plus getting a couple of fanatics and some war machines. After that who knows?! :D

Thanks very much

Leogun_91
12-12-2010, 16:06
Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to get some more chariots and definitely expand the amount of Orc Boys I have plus getting a couple of fanatics and some war machines. After that who knows?! :D

Thanks very much
we will probably get plastic chariots in march that can be built as either wolf or boar chariot as boar chariots and wolf riders were the only plastic kits not included in GWs "this is safe to buy as we won't update it" list.

theorox
12-12-2010, 16:13
At least we may get a new plastic chariotkit. I would wait completely, but especially with the chariots. :)

Theo