PDA

View Full Version : Undead tactics, or how to get better

StefDa
11-12-2010, 08:50
So I seem to be losing most of the time I play with my Undead.

I have pretty much everything... Can you give me some tips on how to be better with the Undead? I only really play against Chaos.

I haven't really used magic items on my units since we only really have bad units, so I don't see any reason to turn a "bad unit" into a "slightly less bad but still bad unit" by paying 50 pts for a banner or something.

What is generally the way to win with Undead?

StefDa
11-12-2010, 08:57
Oh, I just realised.

The two last games I have had (after getting back into Warmaster after a year's break) we didn't use break points, general's death and stuff - we basically just fought to the bitter end.

Does this affect the Undead's chance of winning?

fracas
11-12-2010, 12:39
Yes because undead have cheap troops that means your break point is higher.
Take chariots for your offensive punch

Cpt. Drill
11-12-2010, 15:31
Undead are an attrition army your high break point should mean that you simply outlast your opponents while a few heavy hitters will kill their units off quickly.

Here are a few tips for using undead...

Get as many lich priests as possible and when you get units in combat spam the raise dead spell. Not only will it reduce your opponents attacks but if you win a combat and have the enemy surrounded you auto kill them! Not to be over looked.

This can be combined with Carrion very well. On turn one or two charge your carrion into something then march all you lich priests to within 30cm (make sure they have a friendly unit to retreat to) and cast raise dead. you can cause lots of trouble with command penalties in the middle of your opponents army aswell as the fact you are getting more troops on the board (These dont effect break point though).

Screaming skull catapults are great. Use them to break up any big formation or just go for cavelry as much as possible. They ignore armour and a 4+ chance to confuse is awesome.

Take lots of chariots... THey are great shock troops they are not too expensive and they are fast!

Dont take a bone giant he is expensive and slow. Every now and again you see a bone giant do some good killing but generally he eats your commands and loafs around. The only time I would take one would be if I had a big artillary brigade and wanted something beefy to defend it. Even then I would rather two units of chariots.

Hope some of this helps

StefDa
11-12-2010, 16:55
It seems like Undead is the army most affected if you don't bother using the full rules or simply haven't gotten round to learning all of them yet.

I can't abandon my beloved Bone Giant! I love that fellow. He may not be very good, but I love the model.

How much shooting is generally advised?

Cpt. Drill
12-12-2010, 03:31
I would not say that they were the most effected by not using the break point. I find with Chaos you want to try and break your foe really quickly as your troops get worn down by prolonged combats. I would recommend using the break point rule as it give the game alot more focus.

As for shooting I personally do not rate the bolt throwers I think they just dont do enough damage with medium range and are an easy kill. The skull catapult is worth its weight in gold but you do have to defend it as its a big target. Skeleton archers are okay they are nothing special but nice for a stand and shoot aswell as peppering a foe and distrupting formtions.

wellspring
14-12-2010, 02:33
One nice thing about skeleton archers is that when they get hit with ranged fire, the skeletons behind them can refuse to give way. Normally, they'd be confused by this, but as Undead they can sit there and keep happily shooting.

BrutalRage
15-06-2011, 23:53
dont take sphinx, dont take bone giant, dont take bone thrower

now you are left with the effective units :>
max chariots as shock troops and to counter charge
and always always always cast raise dead on combats!

azraelezekiel
16-06-2011, 08:02
two words 'raise dead'!