PDA

View Full Version : Gnoblins?

sssk
11-12-2010, 11:57
After having painted tons of night goblins for the tale of fantasy painters, I thought I might take a swing at some common goblins (maybe a bit later in the tale) for variety. However, the common goblins models are a bit rubbish, and a bit big compared to my night goblins (who are all BFSP goblins), so I was wondering if anyone has used (or considered using) gnoblars as common goblins (as far as I'm aware, they are hill goblins anyway, so it should all work fluffwise....maybe)?

Korraz
11-12-2010, 12:20
It doesn't work well. Gnoblars are very small and they lack shields, armour and weapons.

theorox
11-12-2010, 12:32
Too small? Like in snotling-small?

Theo

sssk
11-12-2010, 13:03
It doesn't work well. Gnoblars are very small and they lack shields, armour and weapons.

They'd have to be pretty flippin' small to not fit in with the night goblins (also, are they as "very small", as the goblin models are "very big", when compared with BFSP night goblins?).

Also I have plenty of shields which they can have.

Sand
11-12-2010, 13:08
I don't think they are small compared to the BFSP goblins (in fact I think they might be slightly bigger). They also do have weapons, although some of their weapons are just pieces of crap they've picked up. A few even have shields.

Sand
11-12-2010, 13:11
Here's a pic from the GW site. I don't know if it'll be helpful :)

Vampiric16
11-12-2010, 13:22
They're about the right size, but are a bit scrawny (even by goblin standards). You may have to bulk them a little with greenstuff, but I certainly wouldn't take issue with it.

LaughinGremlin
11-12-2010, 14:51
Add the correct weaponry, and I'd say that gnoblars actually are more similar in size to the bfsp gobbos than the older plastic 6th edition gobbos are.

Those older plastics make better HOBgobs, if you ask me. Put an old plastic next to a newer plastic gobbo, and it screams, "Here is a HOBgoblin, and here is a goblin!"

Strange suggestion - have you thought about using green stuff to cover much of the gnoblar body so that it appears to have the hooded robe of a night goblin? This will either inspire you to make an all-night gobbo army with various great looking night gobbos with various poses and armed with various weapons, like nets, OR you still make a mixed gobbo/night gobbo army, and you happen to have some gnoblars converted into night gobbos as well, so that some night gobbos have the gnoblar - style noses for variety's sake.

Korraz
11-12-2010, 14:56
Because of the hunched pose, the scrawny limbs and the hoods on the goblinside, they are indeed smaller than BFSP goblins.

UberBeast
11-12-2010, 15:12
Give them the correct weapons and armor and I think you could get away with it.

Sand
11-12-2010, 15:57
Because of the hunched pose, the scrawny limbs and the hoods on the goblinside, they are indeed smaller than BFSP goblins.

They really aren't. I'm sitting here with 2 BFSP goblins (a speargobbo and an archer) and some Gnoblars. They're pretty much the exact same size. If anything, I'd say the Gnoblars actually look a little bigger.

Korraz
11-12-2010, 16:05
Might depend on ones point of view. To me, the just seem too small and weak when standind beside the nightgobbos with standards, spears and everything. Everything about the NGobs says "Vertical!" while the gnoblars are more on the horizontal side.

Sand
11-12-2010, 16:12
Well. They're pretty pathetic-looking of course. But that's a plus for goblins in my book.
I don't really think they look scrawnier than the other goblins, though. Especially not once you factor out the cloaks of the NG's.

it's coming this way!
11-12-2010, 17:37
Actually, I think this idea has a lot of potential. If you put enough work into it, the really hectic looking group of gnoblars would give a really cool base for a mob of goblins.

That said, you should probably try to make them NOT just look like gnoblars with goblin weapon options, so I'd recommend changing their heads-- the noses are too distinctive. Perhaps, use existing goblin heads?

sssk
11-12-2010, 17:46
I think a head switch would be a good change. however I have a nasty feeling the goblin heads would be massive on the gnoblar bodies. Time to go and have a look at some gnoblar models in person I think.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
11-12-2010, 17:59
Since when were greenskins all the same size??

jack da greenskin
11-12-2010, 18:58
I think a head switch would be a good change. however I have a nasty feeling the goblin heads would be massive on the gnoblar bodies. Time to go and have a look at some gnoblar models in person I think.

I have added 40k grot heads to some gnoblars and it doesnt look sillyily big. That said, I find the goblin regiment models to be nicer than the gnoblar models, especially from a modelling/painting perspective.

Harwammer
12-12-2010, 23:51
Gnoblars have a very specific look for their heads that doesn't really match the rest of the goblin range. As above, I recommend swapping gnoblar heads for 40k grot heads (along side with weapon swaps).

I actually spent today making unit fillers for my night goblin spears unit by combining 2 spear goblins with 3 or 4 spear armed snotlings on 40mm bases. They came out pretty well so I'm fairly sure doing something similar but with gnoblars would look effective too.

SamVimes
13-12-2010, 06:10
Since when were greenskins all the same size??

Damn straight. Uniform size goblins seems aberrant to me. I like 'em all sizes, like in labyrinthe. The key to that though is having a roughly equal mix of all the various sizes, vs 47 tiny ones and 6 big ones. That's when it looks dumb.

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-12-2010, 06:21
It's not so much there size I think it's a problem, it's that the Gnoblar models are terrible, terrible models. At least I found the details on many of them really flat and badly cast. So if it's something you want to I'd suggest getting just a few to have a proper look before you buy in bulk.