PDA

View Full Version : scale terrain

cshaw
12-12-2010, 10:16
not sure if this is in the right section or not, if not then please correct me.

I am in the middle of constructing a battle table for my imperial guard and was wandering if I am to get appropriately styled terrain pieces from normal hobby stores what would be an appropriate scale to choose from?

dragonet111
12-12-2010, 10:23
I advise some buildings high enough to block line of sight of everything behind it.

cshaw
12-12-2010, 10:25
I advise some buildings high enough to block line of sight of everything behind it.

What I mean is when it comes to like military trains, sand bag entrenchments and bunkers etc what scale would match 40k infantry units?

t-tauri
12-12-2010, 10:34
Take a look at the thread here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43890) which contains a link to the TMP scale explanation here (http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html).

It basically depends how it fits in with a model as the 40k models are to no particular scale as certain features like heads and hands are exagerated. O gauge trains are about right but the best advice is to carry a model around and hold it next to the vehicle. 1/35 military terrain works fine but the 1/35 weapons look puny on 40k figures. 1/48 isn't a bad fit if you can get it. It's really a matter of what you think works.

cshaw
12-12-2010, 10:36
Take a look at the thread here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43890) which contains a link to the TMP scale explanation here (http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html).

It basically depends how it fits in with a model as the 40k models are to no particular scale as certain features like heads and hands are exagerated. O gauge trains are about right but the best advice is to carry a model around and hold it next to the vehicle. 1/35 military terrain works fine but the 1/35 weapons look puny on 40k figures. 1/48 isn't a bad fit if you can get it. It's really a matter of what you think works.

thanks, I knew that roughly 1/35 would work for the terrain but had no idea what to expect for weapons because of that, would vehicles be similar to the terrain scale?

MarcoSkoll
12-12-2010, 10:44
It's a slightly tough question. 28mm is traditionally about 1:72 (or often about 1:76, that being OO scale for model railways.)

You may get away with 1:72 or OO scale (especially for things with less defined sizes, like trees or sandbags), but given that GW's models are "heroic" scale with extra bulk (not to mention thick bases), it can be necessary to drift to the larger 1:60 or even 1:48 scales to still appear to be in scale.

Slightly big is usually better than slightly small (although slightly small is not cripplingly bad) so I'd say aim for things that might be a bit bigger than ideal than the other way around.

O gauge trains are about right but the best advice is to carry a model around and hold it next to the vehicle.
I have to disagree on the basis that O gauge stuff can cost a metric fortune - most of the actual rolling stock is REALLY expensive.
But if you can find scenery in a reasonable price range, not a bad scale but perhaps a bit too big.

But yes, 40k weapons are dramatically overscale. I use them on ~1:30 Inquisitor models without them looking out of place - and still larger than they should really be.

cshaw
12-12-2010, 10:46
thanks for the reply guys, :) big help.

t-tauri
12-12-2010, 11:35
It's a slightly tough question. 28mm is traditionally about 1:72 (or often about 1:76, that being OO scale for model railways.)

1/72 and 1/76 is near 20mm wargaming scale. Far too small for use with 40k figures. Look at the TMP scale explanation here (http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html).

MarcoSkoll
12-12-2010, 12:05
More like 25mm scale really (an average 5' 10" male at 1:72 would be ~24.7mm). But like I said, GW's heroic proportions mean that you can only really use "scaleless" things from 1:72 - things where you can't really tell how big it is.
(Works reasonably well for LOTR though, with the more natural proportions and smaller sizing.)

~~~~~

That said, one thing to be considered is this is what's appropriate for approximately human size figures. Ork Warbosses, Tau Battlesuits... much of GW terrain is designed with the larger 40mm based models in mind can be 1:30 or larger.

A good demonstration is are these photos from Inquisitor games at WHW:
http://www.buildyourimagination.co.uk/minis/conclavegt09.php?i=DSCI0305.jpg
http://www.buildyourimagination.co.uk/minis/conclavegt09.php?i=DSCI0315.jpg
http://www.buildyourimagination.co.uk/minis/conclavegt09.php?i=DSC_0261.jpg (Ignore the Valkyrie and Arvus, those are both 54mm scale scratchbuilds!)

... the standard WHW 40k terrain, but actually better scaled for Inquisitor!

In my opinion, this is far too large for 40k. I'm not complaining, because it means it is possible to play 54mm up at WHW without having to beg for them to dig out the little terrain they ever actually made for Inquisitor, but that's from the perspective of never having played 40k up there.

carldooley
12-12-2010, 12:09
I have a fairly large lego collection, got some of the foot square (actually 10"x10", but hey?!?) bases and built my own. On the other hand, I remember there being scads of Holiday Diorama buildings in my local stores, and I have been carrying around a metal scout sniper with me to compare scales. When I find them, I'll get a couple and apply my dremel and hammer and repaint them so they look like ruins. (and maybe add some capacitors to the lights so that I have flickering fires also). ;)

tu33y
12-12-2010, 13:18
best advice is to carry a model around and hold it next to the vehicle. .

this is good advice. its surprising how often you see terrain. pet shops that do aquarium stuff, garden centres, rail model shops etc...

industrial railway stuff can be amazing for 40k. cranes, water tanks, things like that in O scale. plus its cheap as chips

adeptusphotographicus
12-12-2010, 19:50
An oft overlooked source of excellent building material is styrofoam packing pieces. In strange and often quite perfect looking shapes one can take a piece, carefully cut the interesting bit off and keep it.
good cardboard is fine for walls and other plane surfaces.
One does not have to be a modeling guru in order to make this work, just use a basic measure of 3" as a floor to ceiling distance and cut little supporting buttrussses out of foam, cap it with the interesting bit and boom building,
the advantage is cheap, and can make things look uniform, exotic etc.
keep sprues from models and fig sets and use them for railing, detail, etc. rubble.

point is with a small investment, and lots of scrounging one can make a lot of really cool buildings. the more you make the better you get and the better they look.

can expand look with GW building sets and parcel out details through out to keep look and make things seem detailed.

Also.. check out garage sales, and blow outs at toy stores. some of that construction yard play stuff is amazingly cool. really this company called Rokenboks makes these little RC vehicles and a whole range of construction and building stuff. monorails, elevated road, pillars.. and the vehciles look like giant industial machines.. awesome. ripped a wheel off of one, pained and and modeled is leaning into a building and wow CoD terrain.. point was it was only $10 for the whole lot at a garage sale. so keep ones eyes open.

Railroad things in O gauge like track obviously, but other details can likewise be blended in to then not look like O gauge RR stuff.

once you paint it bingo.

ps be sure and paint the foam before any spray paint hits it or it will dissolve, which can be cool if you want a melted look. also another tip.. go to a hardware or paint store and check out the miss mixed pile.. dirt cheap and sometimes can get decent color. point is you can paint a ton of terrain with out using a zillion expensive paint pots..

Pontiff
12-12-2010, 21:16
I use a lot of aquarium stuff, a lot of scratchbuilt stuff and some pre maid pieces.

20mm / 1/72 (1/76) is far too small.

1/35 seems to work pretty well (stuff like Gws oil drums and jerry cans are clearly 1/35)

The main key is to make terrain or buy terrain and then put visual 'signposts' to clearly state the scale ( a las rifle, a helmet, a dead body etc). You can get away with a lot of variation if you put some easily recognisable object next to it that states the scale.