PDA

View Full Version : Non-sadistic Dark Eldar?

DarthMcBob
12-12-2010, 23:06
What do you guys think would happen if someday a Dark Eldar was born who discovered that he didn't like torture, sadism, and killing, but actually preferred being nice, drinking tea, and helping people? What would become of this poor unfortunate soul?

MEcorp
12-12-2010, 23:18
Long and painful death most likely. Though I suppose they might be able to escape and become a Harlequin or re-join the craftworlds.

Sephiroth
12-12-2010, 23:20
Umm, he'd get placed in a weapon making factory somewhere in the underside of Commorragh and rather than wither and die of sensory deprivation like most Dark Eldar, he'd probably be content with a safe, if monotonous existence.

DarthMcBob
12-12-2010, 23:49
Actually, I just found something on this very topic. Given the nature of the 40k verse, I'd say that it'd probably go something like this:

http://www.servantsoftheimperium.com/comic/?comicid=34

Oh the cruel irony.

Iracundus
13-12-2010, 00:32
What do you guys think would happen if someday a Dark Eldar was born who discovered that he didn't like torture, sadism, and killing, but actually preferred being nice, drinking tea, and helping people? What would become of this poor unfortunate soul?

He would probably end up like Bechareth from Path of the Warrrior and seek to join the Craftworlds or perhaps the Exodites. If there were a Harlequin troupe visiting, he could also apply to join them.

Outcasts may find themselves becoming more extreme, violent, decadent, and eventually drift to Commorragh. A flow in the opposite direction would restore some balance. However I don't necessarily think they would be your stereotypical "I want to be nice" person. They may simply tire of the endless politics, intrigue, fighting, and find it unsatisfying.

Lord-Caerolion
13-12-2010, 06:02
I don't think it's really possible for that to happen. After all, this is a race that is taught from birth that everything and everyone else in the galaxy is purely there for their enjoyment, that they are the Eldar, and all else is Mon-Keigh.

Iracundus
13-12-2010, 06:07
I don't think it's really possible for that to happen. After all, this is a race that is taught from birth that everything and everyone else in the galaxy is purely there for their enjoyment, that they are the Eldar, and all else is Mon-Keigh.

It already happened with Bechareth. Even while retaining their belief that only Eldar matter, it wouldn't be out of the question for them to tire of the constant struggling and intrigue and perhaps long for some inner peace.

SgtTaters
13-12-2010, 10:14

He Journeys out of the Webway and winds up living with a bunch of squats.

Uberskooper
13-12-2010, 18:55
Don't Dark Eldar have to keep on torturing others? If they don't, their souls will ebb away.

totgeboren
13-12-2010, 18:56
Dark Eldar that don't like the Dark Eldar way of life either die, or go join the pirates/corsairs. They seem to consist of a mix of fates. Also, they need to shield themselves from the drain somehow. They could maybe eat tortured bunnies or something?

However, I don't know many places open for an Eldar that likes tea and running charity events. The Craftworlds in my eyes are closed systems, and they are much about war and discipline too.
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war, as they say. They might be able to set up a small farm on some Exodite planet, but you know how rednecks can be towards foppish strangers wearing spandex....

spetswalshe
13-12-2010, 19:19
What does a non-evil Dark Eldar do? He picks up two splinter-scimitars and fights for righteousness in a world that doesn't understand him.

Naturally he gets laid. A lot.

SgtTaters
13-12-2010, 19:43
What does a non-evil Dark Eldar do? He picks up two splinter-scimitars and fights for righteousness in a world that doesn't understand him.

Naturally he gets laid. A lot.

alongside his loyal Khymera companion
later he comes across a secluded deathworld tended by an ancient catachan where he learns the ways of the jungle fighter. He meets the chapter master of the Battlehammer space marines and befriends them and over the years will cross power swords many times with a legendary Imperial Assassin.

There is also a cool side character that's an ex-Kabalite Pirate Prince who shaves his head, has a big feather in his hat and wears an eyepatch. He knew the DE renegade's father, who was a reknown Klaivex. the Pirate Prince and the Imperial Assassin wind up in possession of a Living Metal shard that can create pylon towers.

dragonet111
13-12-2010, 19:45
And later befriend a Squat and a Space wolf

Drasanil
13-12-2010, 19:50
Lol *wants to convert a Drizzt style Archon retinue*

baphomael
13-12-2010, 20:36

He'd starve to death.

Bonzai
13-12-2010, 21:20
He'd starve to death.

My interpretation was that they didn't eat souls and torture just to survive, but did so to survive past their natural life span. Craftworld Eldar use soul stones to protect themselves from she who thirsts when they die. Dark Eldar, figure that they are going to skip death all together, and unaturally extend their lives by every means possible.

So a DE that leaves Commoragh would be able to live a fairly normal life, die, and then have his soul devoured unless he can find a soul stone.

Clockwork-Knight
13-12-2010, 21:29
Or perhaps by not desiring to inflict pain and suffering upon others, the non-sadistic dark eldar does not gain the thirst (at least not as strong as that which ails the eldar of Commoragh), which subsequently allows him to draw psychic energy from those very acts.

He'd still wither and die, but slower than your average dark eldar (who can theoretically be immortal or at the very least become over 10'000 years old), but still faster than a eldar of the craftworlds because of his lack of a soulstone and a path-system to channel his mind.

He'd become a "gray" eldar. He would still feel the thirst (as it's imprinted upon all eldar save for those who worship the laughing god), but he wouldn't become as depraved as the dark eldar junkies.

I could also imagine that he would be tempted all the time, because the suffering caused by the depraved space elves that permeats the dark city, keeping its inhabitants somehow alive and even rejuvenating them would probably have an addicting effect. In the end, no matter how "clean" the socially weird dark eldar wants to be, he'll become one like the rest of the lost, if he continues to live in the dark city.

wyvirn
14-12-2010, 00:02
Well, obviously, he would suffer a fate worse than death. Perhaps even worse than having your soul eaten by Slaneesh. He would become the main character of bad fanfics!

baphomael
14-12-2010, 20:13
My interpretation was that they didn't eat souls and torture just to survive, but did so to survive past their natural life span. Craftworld Eldar use soul stones to protect themselves from she who thirsts when they die. Dark Eldar, figure that they are going to skip death all together, and unaturally extend their lives by every means possible.

So a DE that leaves Commoragh would be able to live a fairly normal life, die, and then have his soul devoured unless he can find a soul stone.

Ok, that probably should have read "starve".

DE souls are being constantly sucked away by Slaanesh, they feed on suffering to top up the growing void in their souls. Deprived of this for long enough and they will wither away until their soul has been consumed entirely by Slaanesh, leaving a soulless husk.

Lupe
14-12-2010, 20:49
I don't see why he wouldn't be able to fit into Commoragh. Sure, most of the bunch are just murderers and stuff... but come on, a non sadistic Dark Eldar retains the wicked intellect and survival insticts of his kin, and is still far worse than a lot of other nasty things out there. In fact, if they were rare enough, they might actually thrive, just by virtue of not being distracted by the insane pursuit of slaves, souls and causing havoc...

After all, the place is like the largest port in the Galaxy (well, depending on whether you count the Webway as part of the Galaxy or not). There's bound to be a demand for corrupt workers out there...

So, Bob, our rather good natured Dark Eldar could, for example, be a dockmaster, overseeing the flow of ships into the city while drinking warm tea, securing himself hefty bribes and just living the good life. All this without ever coming close to blood, or taking the risks associated with being a Kabalite.

baphomael
14-12-2010, 23:28
I don't see why he wouldn't be able to fit into Commoragh. Sure, most of the bunch are just murderers and stuff... but come on, a non sadistic Dark Eldar retains the wicked intellect and survival insticts of his kin, and is still far worse than a lot of other nasty things out there. In fact, if they were rare enough, they might actually thrive, just by virtue of not being distracted by the insane pursuit of slaves, souls and causing havoc...

After all, the place is like the largest port in the Galaxy (well, depending on whether you count the Webway as part of the Galaxy or not). There's bound to be a demand for corrupt workers out there...

So, Bob, our rather good natured Dark Eldar could, for example, be a dockmaster, overseeing the flow of ships into the city while drinking warm tea, securing himself hefty bribes and just living the good life. All this without ever coming close to blood, or taking the risks associated with being a Kabalite.

Except they *need* to be experiencing the suffering of others to stay alive and to stop their souls draining away into Slaanesh's open mouth. Of course, not all Dark Eldar are out-and-out warriors who spend their every day being warriors - the codex mentions, for example, DE who eke out a living by scooping bodies out of rivers to sell on to the slave-dens to be processed into food. Its this reason why wych cult arenas are so vitally important to the Dark Eldar - they provide the day-to-day sustenance of those not lucky enough to be Kabalites raiding realspace or members of constantly duelling Hellion gangs - the violent displays put on by the wychs keep the common plebs alive because all dark eldar, whether causing it or spectating it, need suffering to live.

madprophet
15-12-2010, 01:51
Except they *need* to be experiencing the suffering of others to stay alive and to stop their souls draining away into Slaanesh's open mouth. Of course, not all Dark Eldar are out-and-out warriors who spend their every day being warriors - the codex mentions, for example, DE who eke out a living by scooping bodies out of rivers to sell on to the slave-dens to be processed into food. Its this reason why wych cult arenas are so vitally important to the Dark Eldar - they provide the day-to-day sustenance of those not lucky enough to be Kabalites raiding realspace or members of constantly duelling Hellion gangs - the violent displays put on by the wychs keep the common plebs alive because all dark eldar, whether causing it or spectating it, need suffering to live.

True enough IF our kind-hearted DE wishes to remain on the DE "path". The CWE and Exodites have found other ways of thwarting the "Big Pervert in the Sky" so our friendly DE could try one of those ways.

When doing the fluff for my Chaos Marine army I came up with a unit of chosen called " The Brides (http://iceriverguards.info/elites1.htm)" (go to the Chaos Marines Section on iceriverguards.info (http://www.iceriverguards.info/codex1.htm) if you want to read the fluff) and one of the brides is a Dark Eldar named Maisa Muna al’Faruq (Strutting Desire of Faruq). She is protected from the Big Perv by Malal, her patron chaos god.

If you are creative, you can come up with lots of ways a DE defector to the Light Side could survive and even thrive. Likewise a "Light" Eldar could easily fall and defect to the "Dark Side" - especially since they have cookies ;)

hungry hungry hormagaunt
15-12-2010, 17:35
I suspect they'd leg it out of Commoragh at the first opportunity and plead to join the Craftworlders, the Harlequins, or even the Exodites. They might even be accepted (they're still Eldar after all). Staying in the Dark City without feeding on suffering isn't sustainable, because you wither and die.