PDA

View Full Version : O&G Help! NEW!

n00bLord
13-12-2010, 03:25
Alright, not so much for me actually but for my brother who I have introduced to the hobby. Unfortunately he asked me to do this since his computer is no longer functional.

He wants advice on where to go next as far as expanding his O&G army.

He has the contents of the BfsP, which is
40 Spear gobbos
20 bow gobbos
10 spiders
2 goblin characters
1 troll

and about 15 Orc Boys
and 12 Arrer Boys
1 Orc character model

Any and all advice is helpful.

papabearshane
13-12-2010, 03:30
Boyz, Boyz and more Boyz other then this some Chariots and Warmachines for the fun.

Its an addiction really, just tell him to buy everything and enjoy.

Geep
13-12-2010, 03:42
Most importantly: Get a Battle Standard Bearer (or convert a model to be one). It's probably best to have it on foot, but whether it's an Orc or Goblin should depend on what you want most in your army.

Assuming he wants a decent number of Orcs (and not a goblin horde), i'd boost up the sizes of the Orc Boyz and Arrer Boyz units. 30 of each isn't unreasonable IMO.

BfSP gives one goblin shaman, but you'll probably want more. Either Orc or Goblin shamans- maybe one as a Lord. Read through the Big and Little Waagh lists and see what spells seem better to you.

I'd also increase the number of night goblins he has (not the spiders). Basically, double what he has at the moment (including getting more characters to lead the units).

1 Troll is pretty much useless. 4-6 trolls can be pretty decent.

A few War Machines are usually good- 2 Spear Chukkas, a Rock Lobba and maybe a Doom Diver is a good start.

With the above you'll then have the basis for almost any kind of army you want- experiment a bit and see whether you like the idea of more war machines, harder cavalry, 'elite' infantry etc.
Orcs and Goblins are a fun army,but they're also very expensive to collect (I always suggest trying to find deals on eBay). They also need to be played with a sense of humour, otherwise things like the Animosity rule will get you so frustrated you'll start punching kittens.

Also, remember the Orc and Goblin book for 8th edition is released in March- If you find your brother finds he's not having fun with them (they are one of the weaker armies) hopefully March will give them a boost.

n00bLord
13-12-2010, 04:34
Thanks for the advice so far, and yes Ebay is godsend in regards to getting cheaper minis.

I got him started out on the 7th ed book, and he knows a new one is coming. He likes a maneuverable force, but he wants hard hitting. He mainly has issues with covering morale once his lines eventually break (goblins) and the lack of unit variety of what he owns.

I will get with him and let him know, keep on advicing it up.

Malorian
13-12-2010, 17:27
Tell him to check out my podcasts. Lots of info there.

Get more of those starter sets if you can. The more goblins the better, and you can easily clip off the staff to make them hand weapons.

Some old, larger, night goblins off ebay work nice for big bosses and you can convert them up with great weapons for cheap effective punch.

I'm also a big fan of a horde of black orcs.

Harwammer
13-12-2010, 18:00
Malorian's podcasts are indeed good. Keep in mind that some of the earlier ones (upto about 19) are from a 7th edition perspective so not everything will be relevant to 8th edition play.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
14-12-2010, 03:48
More boyz, more arrer boyz, more bowgobbos, more trolls, and at least 30 black orcs are virtual necessities. He'll want chariots, but I'd wait until March for those. I also rather like giants (mine has always done something useful in the 8E games I've used him in, but opinions are divided on them).

russellmoo
14-12-2010, 04:16
I just started putting an orc army together roughly my list will look like this

Black Orc Warlord
BSB
Lvl 4 orc shaman, lvl 1 or 2 orc shaman mounted
Blorc bigboss on boar
savage bigboss
2-3 goblin characters

45 boyz
38 Nightgoblins w/fanatics
10 wolf riders ?
10 spider riders ?
2 Orc boar chariots
40 Black orcs
5 boar boyz
3 trolls

Not sure what the points total is for this- as a lot of this I will be opening and putting together Christmas day but these are all of the models that I will have access to- so it will most likely be adjusted-

theorox
14-12-2010, 08:40
I just started putting an orc army together roughly my list will look like this

Black Orc Warlord
BSB
Lvl 4 orc shaman, lvl 1 or 2 orc shaman mounted
Blorc bigboss on boar
savage bigboss
2-3 goblin characters

45 boyz
38 Nightgoblins w/fanatics
10 wolf riders ?
10 spider riders ?
2 Orc boar chariots
40 Black orcs
5 boar boyz
3 trolls

Not sure what the points total is for this- as a lot of this I will be opening and putting together Christmas day but these are all of the models that I will have access to- so it will most likely be adjusted-

That's cool. Maybe get another Orc Boy box and build 2 units of 30 Boyz? A horde of Blackorcs should be menacing for sure! :D

Theo