PDA

View Full Version : Punishments for Dark Eldar

DarthMcBob
13-12-2010, 05:50
In the new Dark Eldar codex it says that the worst punishment imaginable for a Dark Eldar is to be made to work in the weapons factories, because such a dull, monotonous existence is worse for them than any pain. However, if that's the case, then how do they actually make them, you know, do the job? It's not like they could beat them into it, as if they could they'd cut out the middleman and just beat them. Threatening their life probably wouldn't be very effective either, because they apparently view a monotonous existence as worse than any pain imaginable.

Drasanil
13-12-2010, 05:55
Threatening their life probably wouldn't be very effective either, because they apparently view a monotonous existence as worse than any pain imaginable.

I'm pretty sure they still view being Slaanesh's latest chew toy as something worse than boredom.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
13-12-2010, 06:00
I'm pretty sure they still view being Slaanesh's latest chew toy as something worse than boredom.

Don't DE think being ANYONE's chew toy is better than boredom?

Drasanil
13-12-2010, 06:07
Don't DE think being ANYONE's chew toy is better than boredom?

Considering they're still scared as all hell of Slaanesh... I would say no;)

DarthMcBob
13-12-2010, 06:10
Considering they're still scared as all hell of Slaanesh... I would say no;)

The codex still calls it the "worst" punishment available for them, and that they fear it more than "any pain". That would include Slaanesh. And if the Dark Eldar thought that sending someone to Slaanesh was the worst possible punishment, they'd do that instead.

Drasanil
13-12-2010, 06:16
The codex still calls it the "worst" punishment available for them, and that they fear it more than "any pain". That would include Slaanesh. And if the Dark Eldar thought that sending someone to Slaanesh was the worst possible punishment, they'd do that instead.

Which makes no sense given that their entirety soceity/way of life is based upon avoiding Slaanesh.

Under the circumstances I'd say it's either hyperbole or basicly should be read as the worst non-lethal manner of punishment.

Lothlanathorian
13-12-2010, 06:17

Unless that is the one thing they view as almost unimaginable. Like the last thing they would ever do. Something so horrible that even the DE think is a horrible thing to do to someone else. Granted, this is just speculation on my part.

Iuris
13-12-2010, 06:21
Didn't those video interviews indicate that weapons manufacture was what slaves were for? I kinda liked the idea of hellish forges underneath the towers.

P.S. if you want a really horrible torture for a Dark Eldar... stuff his soul into a soul stone. Unable to feel anything...

Hendarion
13-12-2010, 06:43
However, if that's the case, then how do they actually make them, you know, do the job?
I don't know, but I could imagine some nice ones:
- Let them starve physically
- Let their soul drain without giving them rejuvenation
- Don't give them any water

That probably isn't that funny after all and boredom might be better than sure death which leads to get devoured by Slaanesh. Pretty much the most scary thing that could happen to them I think. So... if they have the choice to die or be bored, I guess they still chose being bored, which means they actually would be torturing themselves with that decision.

SgtTaters
13-12-2010, 10:13
Dark eldar who don't feed on souls begin to wither and show their age. The shanty towns are populated by ghoulish DE who are soul starved. That's another one of the fates Dark Eldar find unpleasant.

Sephiroth
13-12-2010, 12:11
Didn't those video interviews indicate that weapons manufacture was what slaves were for? I kinda liked the idea of hellish forges underneath the towers.

P.S. if you want a really horrible torture for a Dark Eldar... stuff his soul into a soul stone. Unable to feel anything...

Indeed, but Dark Eldar can end up as slaves too. It's considered far worse to assign a Dark Eldar to producing weapons in the under-levels of Commorragh rather than outright killing them, as without sensory stimulation they rapidly wither and the "soul-ache" eats them from within; so in a sense, it IS being given to Slaanesh, they're letting it drain the Dark Eldar slowly.

I believe the Salamanders 'force' a Dark Eldar haemonculous to open a webgate to Commorragh for them, under the threat of placing him in a box, with no stimulation - he promptly opens the webgate, and chooses to destroy himself - he already tore off a finger and sent it back with an underling, so presumably, he'll be back. :D :p

baphomael
13-12-2010, 20:53
Unless that is the one thing they view as almost unimaginable. Like the last thing they would ever do. Something so horrible that even the DE think is a horrible thing to do to someone else. Granted, this is just speculation on my part.

Then again, the DE seem quite happy to do this to their wayward craftworld kin.

Kage2020
14-12-2010, 16:25
Am I the only one who immediately thought of soft cushions and comfy chairs to this question? :shifty: :eyebrows:

Kage

Lupe
14-12-2010, 16:25
However, if that's the case, then how do they actually make them, you know, do the job? It's not like they could beat them into it, as if they could they'd cut out the middleman and just beat them. Threatening their life probably wouldn't be very effective either, because they apparently view a monotonous existence as worse than any pain imaginable.

You DON'T beat them. You just leave them confined, with a lot of weapon components on hand. Eventually, even building weapons becomes a little less boring than doing nothing. It's still torture, though...

And you can't really outright feed a Dark Eldar to Slaanesh. To do so, you'd have to either kill him on the spot (which isn't wise, considering they most likely have insurance), or just feed him to a Slaanesh directly or through a daemon (which is even less wise, considering that they're living in Commoragh mostly to hide from him). Therefore, it's not exactly within the realm of "available punishment"

Hendarion
14-12-2010, 16:36
Hehe, yea, you gotta re-consider what torture means. As Lupe said, torture can be a lot of things.
It's like that joke... A masochist is begging a sadist: "torture me, punish me!". And the sadist is replying: "Naaaaaa..."
:D

DarthMcBob
14-12-2010, 21:03
You DON'T beat them. You just leave them confined, with a lot of weapon components on hand. Eventually, even building weapons becomes a little less boring than doing nothing. It's still torture, though...

And you can't really outright feed a Dark Eldar to Slaanesh. To do so, you'd have to either kill him on the spot (which isn't wise, considering they most likely have insurance), or just feed him to a Slaanesh directly or through a daemon (which is even less wise, considering that they're living in Commoragh mostly to hide from him). Therefore, it's not exactly within the realm of "available punishment"

A Dark Eldar can only be brought back if their buddies give part of their corpse to the appropriate Haemoculous within a day or so. So just killing them and dumping their carcass in a fire would do for sending them to Slaanesh.

Lupe
14-12-2010, 21:17
A Dark Eldar can only be brought back if their buddies give part of their corpse to the appropriate Haemoculous within a day or so. So just killing them and dumping their carcass in a fire would do for sending them to Slaanesh.

While that's not what I meant, it would be possible for Dark Eldar to catch word that they've fallen out of favor with their higher ups and prepare.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of having a different kind of buddies. The kind that would find the guy who ordered the kill, and make it look like he accidentally fell on two dozen Agonizers and then rolled over in pain, knocking off a table and setting the whole building on fire...

DarthMcBob
14-12-2010, 22:07
While that's not what I meant, it would be possible for Dark Eldar to catch word that they've fallen out of favor with their higher ups and prepare.

However, I was thinking more along the lines of having a different kind of buddies. The kind that would find the guy who ordered the kill, and make it look like he accidentally fell on two dozen Agonizers and then rolled over in pain, knocking off a table and setting the whole building on fire...

If you're punishing them, then you're probably their superior, and thus rich enough to buy off the loyalties of any such friends. It's not like the Dark Eldar have much loyalty to the dead anyway.

And on a slightly less related note, having a Kabal as a support system puzzles me. Why would the Kabal work to avenge a loser who couldn't stop himself from being killed? They'd probably be more likely to hire your killer instead. The codex notes that the DE hate the old Eldar gods for being weak enough to get munched by Slaanesh, considering that it proves they were too weak to deserve to exist in the first place. Why would they feel differently about their Kabal-mates? Why would they waste time and energy bringing back chunks of their dead buddies to a Haemoculous if they couldn't stop themselves from being killed? So how would a Kabal function as a support system?

EvilBragg
14-12-2010, 22:22
id like to think being locked in a room, with hands bound, legs bound, with the whole back log of abba blarring loudly on repeat for several weeks would be a punishment far worse than pain or death to anyone, let alone a DE. but on a serious note, how can they be forced to work in machine works, as surely they would just rebel occasionally and thus get a punishment in the form of a whip or shock rod

baphomael
14-12-2010, 23:24

Starve them. Deprive them of the pain and suffering that tops-up their leaking soul and eventually all of it is going to drain onto slaanesh's plate.

Kiras of the flame
15-12-2010, 03:21
Starve them. Deprive them of the pain and suffering that tops-up their leaking soul and eventually all of it is going to drain onto slaanesh's plate.

maybe they'll just let him starve in the upper parts of the spires... because everyone knows the Haemonculi love their hellish basements...

imperial90
15-12-2010, 09:20
They could do something like implants that forces them to do the work while their minds are still wholly intact, kind of like their mind being trapped in their own body, with all they can do is watch as they do the same monotonous job over and over again until their bodies just gives out.

That sounds pretty dark eldar like if you ask me, and sounds like an absolutely horrible fate for anyone let alone a dark eldar

musical
15-12-2010, 09:48
To the OP, I think as someone else had already said, if you are locked up in a room with nothing but weapons parts, you will soon find yourself working on it if only to stop boredom. I remember first day I started in an office after morning training I didn't have anything to do, I asked to do some manual filing just to get through the afternoon. It is not at all interesting but it was the only alternative to sitting doing nothing and waiting until 5 o'clock.