PDA

View Full Version : Dark Eldar Venom & others?

Hrw-Amen
13-12-2010, 13:07
Having just started my new dark Eldar army I wanted something a little heavy, but am not keen on the Raider/Ravager idea. I know they are supposed to be pirate raiders and the like but I just don't like the open skiff kind of look. I feel these may have been OK as the equivalent of Eldar sports cars for nipping around their cities prior to the fall, but not so convincing as weapons of war.

I had an Eldar Venom sat around that I had not made up so decided to convert it, which I have done.

I thought this was a good idea and possibly unique, but on visiting a local GW Store I saw that several other people had done a similar thing with Venoms and Dark Eldar'ised them. Have lots of people done this?

Also does anyone have any ideas for other heavier units that could be included instead of Raiders/Ravagers? I am trying the think of a way to make a good conversion for Wave Serpent without it just looking like an nomal Eldar tank with a sail.

Dr.Clock
13-12-2010, 17:11
As venoms are pretty sweet in general (12 poisoned shots on the move), I suspect many people are doing this.

The conversion need not be too ambitious, but can be very rewarding.

Also, coming up with a variety of conversions for your force can give you a customized feel... these are the DE dragsters that likely cruise around Commoragh at breakneck speeds patrolling the kabal's turf...

I'll be using three different conversions: one type for the Trueborn, one type for the Kabalites and one super-awesome one for my incubi.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

SgtTaters
13-12-2010, 21:18
I am trying the think of a way to make a good conversion for Wave Serpent without it just looking like an nomal Eldar tank with a sail.

I'm doing the same. Here's my concept. While DE go for a baroque hunter look, this conversion will make the Raider look more like a beach assault landing craft.
I'm thinking of possibly enclosing the passenger area and adding doors, or putting the cockpit in the front. I'll see how it goes and document it.

I am wracking my brain though on the Venom. Yeah I have some vypers, but the passenger compartment... the current style in artwork is awesome as a Sky Chariot, but I want more a "techno-pirate/tacticool" feeling. The models I'm using are largely converted guardians and RT era Eldar pirates. It's tough finding inspiration as most small open topped transports will be road warrior orky.

DeviantApostle
13-12-2010, 21:35
2 conversions I saw at the local GW yesterday for the Venom.

The first was a combination of the Front of a Vyper with the back end of a Raider, with the Raider's undercarrage as the base. It was cut so that the sides of the railing merged with the Vyper's hood/cockpit shroud once a little bit of green stuff had been applied.

The other coversion took a Raider and simple cut out the middle section (where the sails go) and glued the back onto the front. The railings on the front (where the gun is usually mounted) were cut off to form the cockpit. The undercarrage of the Raider was cut down and still used but the Aethersails were glued to the sides through the gaps so that they looked like wings.

Lothlanathorian
14-12-2010, 10:41
I like what you've got there SgtTaters.

PyroSikTh
14-12-2010, 14:15
Also does anyone have any ideas for other heavier units that could be included instead of Raiders/Ravagers? I am trying the think of a way to make a good conversion for Wave Serpent without it just looking like an nomal Eldar tank with a sail.

You could use Wave Serpents to convert into Razorwing Fighters or Voidraven Bombers? The front prongs of the Wave Serpent would make good wings.