PDA

View Full Version : Orcs, Orcs and only Orcs???

Getifa Ubazza
13-12-2010, 17:50
Is an Orcs and Goblins army, with absolutely no Goblins playable in a semi competative enviroment?

I just like the look of Orc boyz and would like to do an army with lots of them, with no Goblins at all or at least keeping Goblins to the bare minimum.

Thanks

Harwammer
13-12-2010, 17:58
Boyz are great, but you'll need to use black orcs or load up on characters for high strength attacks; these usually come from the goblins' artillery.

If you're happy to include a few goblins then some artillery is a great help.

BigbyWolf
13-12-2010, 18:03
Yes, I do so myself, virtually- I do include bully-led Rock Lobbers in my army (mainly because they're the old-style RL with entirely Orc Crew).

Malorian
13-12-2010, 18:39
It can work but you need to make sure you have a way to keep on getting kills after the first round.

Units of black orcs and even big uns can be great 'hulk smash' units and can hold their own, but hordes of regular units will need characters, chariots, or trolls to support them.

theorox
13-12-2010, 18:58
Sure you can! 3-4 units of 30 or so Boyz (One of them Big'uns maybe?), a unit of Blackorcs, 3 Boarchariots, Boarboyz if you like them, Savages too maybe, an Orc Greatshaman, a Blackorc Warboss, a BSB and maybe some additional Bigbosses and you are set! Add Trolls and Giants to taste. Consider a Wyvern for large games. :)

Theo

The Blue Guy
14-12-2010, 05:27
An Orcs only list is hardly the most competitive O&G build but that is still what I will be taking to a tournament this weekend.

A couple of solid blocks of boyz, a nice block of Black Orcs, a few Chariots, a great shaman and a few other bits and bobs and your good to go! :D

Getifa Ubazza
14-12-2010, 11:10
An Orcs only list is hardly the most competitive O&G build but that is still what I will be taking to a tournament this weekend.

A couple of solid blocks of boyz, a nice block of Black Orcs, a few Chariots, a great shaman and a few other bits and bobs and your good to go! :DCould you tell me how you do please? If you could post your list, tell us how you did with it and changes you would make to tactics and list, that would be great.

@Harwammer: I don't mind the odd Goblin here and there. I'm even happy to spam warmachines. I just don't wan't to include any Goblin infantry/cavalry/chariots. I wan't to do a Goblin army seperately and would like to avoid them as much as possible in the Orc army. The plan is to add both armies together for huge games.

sssk
14-12-2010, 12:43
I wan't to do a Goblin army seperately and would like to avoid them as much as possible in the Orc army. The plan is to add both armies together for huge games.

I'm probably going to end up doing that, but the other way round (I've got entirely goblins up to about 3000 points....with about half painted). The original plan was to only do goblins, because the orcs didn't really appeal, but then some SWINE released the new boar boys, and drew my attention to how nice black orcs look.

It might end up as goblins and elite orcs....unless they release some new orc boys at some stage, in which case it might well flourish into 2 different (yet completely interchangeable) armies.

I believe it's quite feasible to do pure orcs without artillery. I'd recommend arrer boys though....in fact, I'd recommend them anyway, they're great

gorbad ironclaw"
14-12-2010, 18:23
yes but you can only get 3 for each purchase and they are really expensive.
so can anyone tell me some good ways to convert orc boys to arrer boys;)

theorox
14-12-2010, 18:56
yes but you can only get 3 for each purchase and they are really expensive.
so can anyone tell me some good ways to convert orc boys to arrer boys;)

The new Mantic orcs that are coming out?

Anyway, offtopic. :D

Theo

Morkash
14-12-2010, 19:01
Go for the mono Orc army! I tend to include no goblins bar warmachine crew, just raw orcy powa!

Getifa Ubazza
14-12-2010, 23:07
The new Mantic orcs that are coming out?

Anyway, offtopic. :D

TheoI know you were talking to someone else, But this is exactly what I am doing. I will buy as much from Mantic as I can and only add GW stuff that I can't get anywhere else.

Go for the mono Orc army! I tend to include no goblins bar warmachine crew, just raw orcy powa!

Thats pretty much what I'm doing. As I said above. My army will probably be large Mantic Orc boy blocks and GW goblin warmachine crews. Unless Mantic are smart and bring out Goblin spear chukkas and rock lobbas. Then my whole Orc army can be Mantic. Maybe even my Goblin army too. :D

theorox
15-12-2010, 12:57
Personally i'd say that if there is even a goblin warmachinehandler in your army you are missing the point. That is IMO for mixed armies and mono-gobbos.

Theo

Getifa Ubazza
16-12-2010, 20:14
Personally i'd say that if there is even a goblin warmachinehandler in your army you are missing the point. That is IMO for mixed armies and mono-gobbos.

TheoYou have a point there. It would be awesome to have a pure solid line of Orc muscle. Every boy just booting it across the field in search of the best fighting.

The Blue Guy
17-12-2010, 07:02
Getifa Ubazza,

I had to drop out of the tournament so I'm sorry to say that I can't give you any feedback on the performance of my orc list.

I can post my list though – remember that this was a comp heavy tournament.

Black Orc Warboss
Orc Great Shaman

Black Orc Big Boss BSB
Black Orc Big Boss on pig
2 x Block Orc Big Boss

2 x Orc Boyz
2 x 20 Arrer Boyz

18 Black Orcs
2 x Boar Chariot
6 Savage Orc Boar Boyz Big 'Uns

Giant

Not 100% orcs but I at least left the goblins out of the list. And tactics? The only suitable tactic is the Hulk Smash tactic.

Morkash
17-12-2010, 11:33
If you want really Orc only...Well, it could work out, but without any warmachines... Unless, of course, you get some old Stone Throwers/Skull Crushers with proper Orc crews! :) Or tons of Chariots. a 5 Chariot list could work out well. (Someone I know regurlarly fields mixed armies with 9 chariots, and usually 4 pump wagons...a sight to behold)

@ Blue Guy: Mostly you described the tactic of your list yourself: Hulk Smash. Hoping for a good WAAAGH! spell to turn da tide and wreak havoc as soon as possible. May I ask how large 2 Orc Boyz were? 30-40 each, I suppose?

The Blue Guy
17-12-2010, 12:27
The Hulk Smash tactic is ingenious in its simplicity and a propa' Orc tactic. “If you insitz on one o' them humi-thing tacticz, makez it an In Yer Face one!”

In this case only 30 models in each unit. In a more optimal build they would be 40 models strong at least.

theorox
17-12-2010, 13:02
Blueguy, nice list. I can't help but thinking that some of those characters are totally uneccessary? :D

I would still include Giants and Trolls in an orc only list though. No gobbos for me if i was to do this.

Theo

The Blue Guy
17-12-2010, 13:31
Well, I don't think they are unnecessary at all. Apart from their ability to keep the regular boyz in check they help with the damage output. With only 30 regular boyz in each unit you cant rely on steadfast for too long so you have up the damage output and what better way to do that than to add a Big Boss?!

Those two extra Big Bosses just adds that little extra punch and act as a bodyguard if your opponent throws an unwanted challenge your way. So, one Big Boss babysits the general in one of the boyz units and one rub shoulders with the BSB in the other. Some nice choppa-potential in there my friend!

The Big Boss on pig is hardly essential I guess (ok I'll give you that one) but I like his set-up. His the man (Orc) with da cunning plan (it's so cunning that you can pin a tail on it and call it a weasel).

Malorian
17-12-2010, 13:49

Very bad mix.

Any time you roll a 1 for animosity you'll crush your own unit.

Getifa Ubazza
17-12-2010, 13:55
Getifa Ubazza,

I had to drop out of the tournament so I'm sorry to say that I can't give you any feedback on the performance of my orc list.

I can post my list though – remember that this was a comp heavy tournament.

Black Orc Warboss
Orc Great Shaman

Black Orc Big Boss BSB
2 x Block Orc Big Boss

2 x 30 Orc Boyz
2 x 20 Arrer Boyz

18 Black Orcs
2 x Boar Chariot

Giant

Not 100% orcs but I at least left the goblins out of the list. And tactics? The only suitable tactic is the Hulk Smash tactic.Oh! I do like that list. I also like that its simple tactically. Its exactly what I was talking about. Just a bunch of boys running full tilt at the enemy and getting the boot in.

I also dont have an issue with including Trolls and Giants, as they add to the 'Boot in face' mentality of the rest of the army.

The Blue Guy
17-12-2010, 13:55
I know all about the risks but I'd rather kill a few insubordinate oaks than risk a no-show.

You need a little faith, Mal. I find your lack of faith in Mork...disturbing ;)

Malorian
17-12-2010, 13:58
I find your lack of faith in Mork...disturbing ;)

:p

Well how about dropping the character for a second unit of boar boyz? They wouldn't be able to be big uns but at least you double up such that if one rolls a 1 you still have the other unit.

The Blue Guy
17-12-2010, 14:11
I once played with three units of Pork Boyz (I have 22 of those bad boyz!) but I find them a (very) sub optimal choice now.

To be totally honest to you, good people, that list is tuned for a pillow-fight kind of tournament. In my prefered list I would drop the Pig Boss and the pork riders and add another Giant and another unit of Black Orcs (this can be done with a little additional tweaking).

Getifa Ubazza
17-12-2010, 15:59
I once played with three units of Pork Boyz (I have 22 of those bad boyz!) but I find them a (very) sub optimal choice now.

To be totally honest to you, good people, that list is tuned for a pillow-fight kind of tournament. In my prefered list I would drop the Pig Boss and the pork riders and add another Giant and another unit of Black Orcs (this can be done with a little additional tweaking).I think I prefer the pillow fight list with the Boarboys. I understand that it is not the most optimal choice, But it gives the army an interesting eye candy unit.

The Blue Guy
17-12-2010, 17:35
Fair enough.

I'll pm you my complete list (with all the equiptment) if you are interested.

theorox
17-12-2010, 17:42
Boarboyz make the world go round. USE THE BOARS, LU...*Cough* Ahem... :D

If you like that bigboss in the Savage unit, sure. I would rather squabble than squashing a potential 6 models though...

Averages from Quell Animosity on Savage Boarboyz: 3.5 hits, 2,33 wounds, 1.94 after armour, 1.62 after ward. So if you roll a 6 you will on average kill about 3 guys...so about half of the hits kill. On boyz? Great! On anything more than 8p? Potential Gargh.

I know i'd rather combine the arrers into one unit (Maybe just 30) and get more boyz or chariots or trolls. :)

Theo

Getifa Ubazza
17-12-2010, 19:40
Fair enough.

I'll pm you my complete list (with all the equiptment) if you are interested.Sounds good. I may modify it a little though. Just to make it my own.