PDA

View Full Version : 4 Foot Sniper

tartarus
14-12-2010, 20:14
Issac "Eyes" Rookward

Height: 3' 6"

Hair colour: Auburn

Eye colour: Green

Issac was born on the Ratling-world Deliverance III in the town of Coppenburg. At the age of 20 he was conscripted into the 51st Ratling Regiment.
Whilst fighting Chaos elements on Severance V Issac saved Inquisitor Gabriel Sturn from a nasty case of disembowelment by shooting the berserker who was attacking him, in the eye from half-a-kilometre away, a shot he still maintains that he meant to make.
Inquisitor Sturn sought Issac out and offered him a place with in his retinue. The ever shrewd Ratling agreed, reasoning that he was less likly to get killed and more likly to get a regular supply of Amesec and pipe tabacco, the thurther away from the front line he was and so accepted.
Issac is a kleptomanic making him useful for "accquiring" anything from classified documents to decent quality Amesec depending on what Sturn wants. He also despises flying, a shame due to Sturn's "enthusiastic" flying style. Due to extensive training, practice and racial talent Issac is an excellent sniper.

WS: 42
BS:77
S: 50
T: 55
I: 65
Wp:50
Sg:50
Nv:50
Ld:50

right handed

Equipment: Flak armour (on chest and legs), long rifle with lasersight and reload, laspistol with reload, knife, two smoke grenades, camo cloak (-15% to detection tests).

Special abilities: Small (-20% to hit), deadeye shot.

kaled
15-12-2010, 10:26
Making a ratling character a kleptomaniac sniper is a bit of a cliche, but ratlings are fairly rare in the game so it's forgiveable. How do you plan to model him?

I'm not sure about the combination of BS in the 80s, Deadeye Shot and Rock Steady Aim. Deadeye Shot is perfect for a sniper, but Rock Steady Aim suggests someone who stalks their target to get the a good shot rather than laying in wait and aiming for some time to get the perfect shot. I'd replace Rock Steady Aim with a skill/equipment to help him conceal himself - maybe a camo cloak? Also, a high BS represents someone who can shoot accurately without aiming, but snipers spend a considerable amount of time aiming - this character might be better represented with a BS in the high 60s to 70 ish, and then have him aim for a couple of actions before firing. Even a couple of actions is nothing compared to how lonh a real sniper would aim for.

What about the rest of the warband? Will he be accompanying the Inquisitor?

- Dave

tartarus
15-12-2010, 18:06
Yes he will be accompanied by an inquisitor I still need to think of a theme for him. As for modelling he's used for 28mm so the Ratling model aiming with camo cloak

kaled
15-12-2010, 20:09
Are you playing at 28mm because you have an established gaming group who play at that scale? If not, you might want to try 54mm as you'd be welcome to join us at some of the events we run at Warhammer World. The next one is the Inquisitor Grand Tournament in March.

precinctomega
16-12-2010, 13:16
Kleptomania doesn't mean "is a very good thief". It's a pathological condition that means the sufferer compulsively takes and hides things from other people: often things of no monetary value. Kleptomaniacs, in fact, often take care not to take anything of value because they don't want it to be noticed and their interest in the object is as a psychological crutch, not for fencing.

Ratlings aren't kleptomaniacs. Rather, they come from a culture with a different attitude to property: that is, one with a strong element of "finders keepers". If they see something they think will be useful (a map, a pair of binox, a portable voxcaster, a magazine, some ready cash etc) that no one is looking after, their natural assumption is that is that it is surplus to requirements and therefore fair game. They aren't thieves by their own standards.

That said, because of their small size and natural agility and nimbleness, their attitude to property does make them predisposed to become very good thieves should they choose to do so.

I can see the Ratling's predisposition being an interesting trait in a game. For example, at the start of any scenario roll a D6 for each of his allies. If any dice comes up a 1, then he has stolen something from that ally which he has about his person, chosen by your opponent (or the GM, if present). This may be any pistol-sized weapon or other item of equipment of equivalent size or smaller that isn't physically attached to the ally (so no implant weapons or MIU interfaces!).

R.

the Council of Six
22-12-2010, 04:30
Kleptomania doesn't mean "is a very good thief". It's a pathological condition that means the sufferer compulsively takes and hides things from other people: often things of no monetary value. Kleptomaniacs, in fact, often take care not to take anything of value because they don't want it to be noticed and their interest in the object is as a psychological crutch, not for fencing.

Ratlings aren't kleptomaniacs. Rather, they come from a culture with a different attitude to property: that is, one with a strong element of "finders keepers". If they see something they think will be useful (a map, a pair of binox, a portable voxcaster, a magazine, some ready cash etc) that no one is looking after, their natural assumption is that is that it is surplus to requirements and therefore fair game. They aren't thieves by their own standards.

That said, because of their small size and natural agility and nimbleness, their attitude to property does make them predisposed to become very good thieves should they choose to do so.

I can see the Ratling's predisposition being an interesting trait in a game. For example, at the start of any scenario roll a D6 for each of his allies. If any dice comes up a 1, then he has stolen something from that ally which he has about his person, chosen by your opponent (or the GM, if present). This may be any pistol-sized weapon or other item of equipment of equivalent size or smaller that isn't physically attached to the ally (so no implant weapons or MIU interfaces!).

R.

lol, i think a ratling's a good idea (why didn't i think of that?). are you going to use him as a character in a specific storyline?