PDA

View Full Version : Kowloon Walled City...today's Underhive

Phyros
14-12-2010, 23:53
Saw this video and found it interesting.

If you want to know what some of the lower levels of Hive cities look like...or will look like, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lby9P3ms11w&feature=player_embedded#!

Iracundus
15-12-2010, 00:13
You mean yesterday's Underhive. The Kowloon Walled City no longer exists. It was leveled and in its place there now stands a shopping mall, a park, and lower-middle income housing apartments.

malika
15-12-2010, 13:58
I'm working on building an entire Imperial city in Google Sketch Up which follows a sort of similar principle: LINK to thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281772)

Londinium
15-12-2010, 14:10
They actually used Kowloon Walled City as inspiration for the Narrows in Batman Begins aswell, which is a nice glimpse at a pretty distopian urban environment.

Quetch
15-12-2010, 14:18
This would be more like a lower hive than an underhive. Most underhiver dont even believe that there is a real world outside, and have no such luxuries as produced food, living mostly on what they can scavange.

Hedgehobbit
15-12-2010, 14:27
I was wondering if it was possible to get that sense of everpresent darkness onto a tabletop. Most of my old Necromunda game tables looked like a bunch of random scaffolding inside a giant empty, well-lit room.

Askil the Undecided
15-12-2010, 14:51
I dunno, the darkness and squalour is right, the materials weren't but then again kowloon walled city isn't an armoured steel factory city.

Quetch of course there is production, armaments, food and trade goods at the very least if there wasn't what would the underhivers trade to the guild in return for credits?

Iracundus
16-12-2010, 07:27
I was wondering if it was possible to get that sense of everpresent darkness onto a tabletop. Most of my old Necromunda game tables looked like a bunch of random scaffolding inside a giant empty, well-lit room.

Difficult if nothing else due to practical reasons of being able to see and move models. If you turn off the lights you could get dimness but you don't get that oppressive claustrophobic feeling. To do so you need a heavily built up environment, even tunnel fighting.

The included Necromunda terrain pieces really just fit the idea of industrial machinery in a vast cavern space. However I would think those would be less common given how valuable space can be in a hive.

AndrewGPaul
16-12-2010, 07:42
Play in a darkened room with a single spotlight illuminating the table. :) Add a CD of industrial sound effects in the background. :)

The Underhive seems to me to be more open than the working Hive City above it. There's quite a "wild west" feel to Necromunda, what with the prospecters and settlers in abandoned domes and everything else. Presumably the more valuable machinery is moved out and relocated, leaving the older domes less densely packed than the functioning ones.