PDA

View Full Version : Ultramarines Movie Reaction Thread *WARNING SPOILERS*

Malakai
15-12-2010, 04:49
I wanted to start a thread for those of us who have seen the film and wanted to share their opinions about it.

I thought the story was quite good and the twist at the end with the Ultramarines Captain was cool, even the haughty Ultramarines are suspect to corruption! Though I was let down by the graphics as most people were.

When you compare the imperial marines and the Black Legion characters you can tell that it wasn't a case of them lacking the equipment or know how to make them look better, but that they just cut corners. That was very disappointing.

Great actors, cool music, but poor CGI and visual execution really brought my overall enjoyment of the film down. I rated it a 3.

Edit: I really liked the little book and case that was included in the collector's edition set.

BobtheInquisitor
15-12-2010, 05:32
I really liked it but had no problem whatsoever with the poor CGI. Some of my favorite movies have cheesy special effects, so I'm cool with it. Besides, I thought the character design on the chaplain and the daemon were irrepressibly awesome even if the characters did move like weightless automatons.

I saw the twist coming but I still enjoyed it, and Dan Abnett really worked in a lot of little pay-offs to the character development we see in the beginning. "Yield to me," and so on.

Also, the voice acting was immensely enjoyable. So were the music and sound effects. I can't really think of much to complain about except for some small continuity gaffs (and, I suppose, the low budget CGI). Seeing the landspeeder zip around and the daemon prince tossing Ultramarines like rag dolls were worth the price of admission for me.

The Thirty
15-12-2010, 05:42
The CGI was awful, and the "liver-spots", "elderly man" look to some of the Marines killed it for me.

Not a single service stud, but you look like the enthroned Emperor? :c

Setesh
15-12-2010, 05:58
i think the elderly-ness was done for two reasons:
1]narrative. They ad to show those two characters as mentors to the younger marines
2]tribute to the elderly actors who played them

Of course I agree that they should not be elderly. Imagine ow commander dante would look if space marines aged like that...

BobtheInquisitor
15-12-2010, 06:40
The only character whose facial design bothered me was Nidon, and that's because human faces don't wrinkle that way. However, I was able to put it past me by assuming someone must have bled acid onto his face sometime in the past.

Wintermute
15-12-2010, 07:45
We already have a thread discussing the movie here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5183596#post5183596).

Thread Closed

Wintermute