PDA

View Full Version : Spider Rider suggestions?

BigbyWolf
15-12-2010, 15:59
Thanks to buying quite a few of the BfSP Goblin armies, I've now got 40 Spider Riders, of which only 10 are used on a regular basis.

I'm now stuck on what to do with them, short of knocking up a few Spider Chariots. The only thing I can think of is maybe just go crazy every now and then and field a unit of 30 of them in Horde formation, with a few bosses on Gigantic Spiders in there to add a bit of punch.

The only other possible solution is to make a few spidersquigs from greenstuff and have some "jumping spiders" as hoppers.

Does anyone else have any solutions to my arachnid infestation?

Malorian
15-12-2010, 16:23
Well if you plan to use them as squigs then I'd turn them into a squig herd.

Just use the riders as handlers.

As actual spiders you could make the front ranks characters (goblins on wolves) and use them the spiders for ranks in a fast and hard hitting unit.

BigbyWolf
15-12-2010, 16:39
Well if you plan to use them as squigs then I'd turn them into a squig herd.

Just use the riders as handlers.

As actual spiders you could make the front ranks characters (goblins on wolves) and use them the spiders for ranks in a fast and hard hitting unit.

It's just a pity about the size of the actual spiders...I don't reckon there's any way I can get them on small enough bases for squigs. I've got plenty of foot-slogging squigs already, which is why I'm thinking about using the riders from the spiders with them to make extra hoppers.

As for the unit, I do already have a few guys on the bigger spiders, perhaps 3 of them in a front rank with 6 normal guys behind (or 12 for bonus ranks)? Keeping all of them as spiders would allow me to use the Wall-Crawler ability for sneak attacks.

Malorian
15-12-2010, 16:42
Well I figure you could have some on double 20mm bases (acting as two) and have some rearing up.

You could go to even bigger bases (like 40mm) and make several unit fillers just so long as you have enough on the single bases to allow for losses.

BigbyWolf
15-12-2010, 16:48
Well I figure you could have some on double 20mm bases (acting as two) and have some rearing up.

You could go to even bigger bases (like 40mm) and make several unit fillers just so long as you have enough on the single bases to allow for losses.

Or...or...use normal squig-hopper base, then add plastic flyer pole, top with spider+rider, bingo...spider hopping through the air!

:shifty:

Malorian
15-12-2010, 16:56
Ok, ok, yes that works too :p

Actually I remember when my buddy showed his gaunts were 'leaping' (upgrade you used to be able to get) by putting some on flying bases. Overall the unit looked pretty cool.

ScytheSwathe
15-12-2010, 16:56
ebay the spares, or sell them to me, i wouldnt mind 30 forest goblins and a few unit fillers

BigbyWolf
15-12-2010, 17:24
ebay the spares, or sell them to me, i wouldnt mind 30 forest goblins and a few unit fillers

*Looks at the shelves filled with random miniatures, 50% of which were bought on a whim*

What is this "SELL" you speak of? :shifty:

Unfortunately I'm a hoarder, if a chance exists that they may come in useful at some point, I have to keep them. Besides, you never know when you might find yourself in a 10k game and need something to fill out the army!

CrystalSphere
15-12-2010, 21:20
All right some ideas:
-Put some night goblins on spiders, so you can have "night goblin spider riders" for when you want to have a only night goblin army. That is 10 less.
-Use them to replace other monsters in another army, like beastmen, or make unit fillers with one spider attacking the goblins.
-Create some chaos monster composed of part spider part something else... the base for a chaos spawn maybe, this way madness lies.