PDA

View Full Version : Daemon Engine Construction

Harbinger
16-12-2010, 01:56
Okay a number of questions here:

When the Dark Mechanicus builds the Daemon Engines, how much of it is sorcerery vs. technology? Obviously the housing is a machine or a machine like structure. But does it have wiring and an internal frame, or are they hollow and just recepticles for daemons?

When the DM bind a daemon to the machine, is it through sorcery and cryptic chants/rituals, or is it more scientific? Something like the Ghostbusters where they can draw in and trap the daemons?

Are there daemon engines, so to speak, that are entirely mechanical and have AI that turned to Chaos worship (Dreadclaws?) or can the data streams/machine spritis be reprogrammed to serve Chaos? Or is it simply the default of being possessed by a daemon?

Thanks in advance.

Lord-Caerolion
16-12-2010, 03:04
Okay a number of questions here:

When the Dark Mechanicus builds the Daemon Engines, how much of it is sorcerery vs. technology? Obviously the housing is a machine or a machine like structure. But does it have wiring and an internal frame, or are they hollow and just recepticles for daemons?

When the DM bind a daemon to the machine, is it through sorcery and cryptic chants/rituals, or is it more scientific? Something like the Ghostbusters where they can draw in and trap the daemons?

Are there daemon engines, so to speak, that are entirely mechanical and have AI that turned to Chaos worship (Dreadclaws?) or can the data streams/machine spritis be reprogrammed to serve Chaos? Or is it simply the default of being possessed by a daemon?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about 1 and 3, but as for how the daemon is bound, sorcery can be incredibly 'scientific'. Even complex mathematical formulae can be used to manipulate warp energy, and with it being the Dark Mechanicus, I would see their sorcery as being the more formulaic approach, rather than the "burning incence and chanting" approach. So yeah, I would imagine the whole chassis would be designed so as to channel warp energy better, and probably have sorcerous formulae and inscriptions etched all over it.

rob1992
16-12-2010, 13:43
1. I've always thought the DM basically built an entire tank or Defiler or whatever and didn't bother with control systems as the Daemon effectively just replaced this. I'm noy sure though.

2. Agree with Lord-Caerolion. That all sounds good to me.

3. You've kind of answered your own question with the Dreadclaws (although I though it was just a really violent and broken Machine Spirit, not necessarily a Chaos one). From what I've read, I'd say that Machine Spirits can be reprogrammed or corrupted or whatever; the Iron Men in the first Gaunt's Ghosts book are a great example of this as they are pure AI. There's a hint that one of the robots in The First Heretic has been corrupted as well, although according to the Mechanicum thay are not AI.

Easy E
17-12-2010, 13:32
Old Imperial robots are Vat-grown brains with hardwired 'programs' biologicially wired into their brain. Similar to wiring a mechanical robot, but using biologicla triggers instead of electronic.

As for Daemon Engines... I don't know.

However, there is plenty of room for pure speculation and flights of fancy! Perfect!

Mannimarco
17-12-2010, 14:03
Wasnt there a short sotry about a defiler (might have been a white dwarf article) where a sorcerer was cutting up a space marine and getting him ready to be a daemonhost?

Basically you get your subject ready to be possessed, chuck him into the defiler chasis and seal it shut (look at the chains over the hatch and how the defiler is supposed to be covered in sigils).