PDA

View Full Version : explanation Tanith sense of direction

Helsing
16-12-2010, 03:24
So I was reading about how whales, dolphins, etc. have internal biological compasses - magnetite wrapped in bundles of nerve cells - called magnetoception. This explains for their repetetive migration patterns.

I was thinking - the IoM is full of mutants and planet populations that have diverged from the basic human genetic code over thousands of years. Would magnetoception explain why the Tanith have an almost unerring sense of direction?

Lord Inquisitor
16-12-2010, 03:53
Seems both logical and believable to me. An adaptation that provided an advantage in the shifting world of tanith. Therefore it is almost certainly not the case, they are either simply that badass at directions or Chaos Did It.

eldargal
16-12-2010, 06:10
I think given the high numbers of female Tanith IG indicating perhaps a more gender equal society, that its just a case of being more willing to ask for directions. :shifty:

Magnetoception makes a lot of sense actually, well thought of. Such a small mutation is hardly likely to bring the Inquisition down on you, afterall.

Sai-Lauren
16-12-2010, 08:12
I think given the high numbers of female Tanith IG indicating perhaps a more gender equal society, that its just a case of being more willing to ask for directions. :shifty:

Why ask for directions, when you might accidentally find somewhere far more interesting than the place you were originally looking for... ;)

Anyway, the only women in the Tanith are from Verghast who wouldn't have such a mutation, they were an all-male regiment on their initial founding. Plus the best mentions of their direction sense have been withdrawn back to Mkoll primarily in the more recent books.

Askil the Undecided
16-12-2010, 09:53
Magnetoconcption wouldn't explain their ability to find their way in chaos corrupted shifting passages as it does in one of the novels or any of those plac es where instruentation proves unreliable also they'd get hugely disoriented upon leaving a planet's megnetic field and similarly disoriented once again by entering a new one and that only if it didn't do somethng more serious neurologically or pyschologically.

In short: wizards/the emperor himself/Dan Abbnett/Plot armour with a built in automap/chaos did it.

spetswalshe
16-12-2010, 18:11
Or it's just superstition and rumour that happens to have been positively reinforced by coincidence and superhuman Mkoll.

There are plenty of places in the galaxy where magnetoreception just plain wouldn't work. Freaky psychic mutation would be more reliable, as would a solid grounding in pathfinding and the ability to pay attention during the acclimatization briefing.

madd0ct0r
17-12-2010, 05:26
they may just have good memories, and an ability to track their own movements.

Part of the advanced moutain leader test in the uk is being led somewhere with a blindfold, it being removed and you having to point to where you are on a map.