PDA

View Full Version : Dwellers Below on Warmachines

bramhaze
16-12-2010, 08:34
Ok, I'm relative new to warhammer but I was not able to find the answer to this question.

"How, if at all, does the spell Dwellers Below from Lore of Life affect Warmachines?"

First for some reference. Dwellers Below makes all models in a unit make a str check, those that fail are removed as casualties. The rules specifically state that a warmachine fails all character test aside from Toughness and I think leadership.

I see two possible option for the resolving of this spell:

Every member of the crew that is left makes a strength check, but not the warmachine itself, if all remaing crew are slain the warmachine is slain;
The warmachine itself needs to make a strength check, which it automatically fails which would result into it being removed as casualty automatically.

Personally I think it would be option one as option two is rather overpowered in my eyes, but I would like some backing. So my question to you guys, is my guess right that option one is the way to resolve it, or should it be option two, or is there another option I haven't thought about?

P.S.: If this question has already been answered, please post a link to the answer.

Glasscannon
16-12-2010, 08:48
Option 2 is correct but its not in the slightest bit overpowered targetting war machines, there are far juicier targets to hit that make it overly powerful :P

Kalandros
16-12-2010, 09:01
Anvil of Doom is juicy enough, instant kill on a Lord + all his equipment is fun.

theunwantedbeing
16-12-2010, 09:02
Couple of things.

1. War machines auto-fail all characteristic tests except toughness and leadership tests.(they have to test normally)
2. War machines are a single model with a split profile, like a chariot or cavalry model.

Also,
Dwellers below is overpowered and brutal anyay, be glad it's targetting your war machines and not units with characters in.

Tregar
16-12-2010, 12:03
Unless you have a Cauldron of Blood, Anvil of Doom or Casket of Souls, in which case they ARE the characters, and instantly die.

theunwantedbeing
16-12-2010, 20:37
I think the point is more that dwellers is a filthy spell, not that war machines have a weakness that can be exploited.
Most of the time when it is they don't auto-die anyway.

Tregar
17-12-2010, 00:24
What do you mean by "when it is they don't auto-die"? I can't work out what "it" is and who "they" are... the closest interpretation is that "most of the time [warmachines are hit with dwellers they] don't auto-die", which is obviously wrong...

theunwantedbeing
17-12-2010, 19:20
Most of the time you are made to take a stat test, you won't auto die.

Tregar
18-12-2010, 00:08
Although, the most common non-LD stat tests taken are those from Dwellers and Purple Sun/Pit of Shades, which warmachines do automatically fail. So, most of the time it is exploited, they do indeed auto-die.

rodfarruguia
19-12-2010, 00:34
I thought anvil of doom could not be removed from game.

Anvil of Doom is juicy enough, instant kill on a Lord + all his equipment is fun.

Haravikk
19-12-2010, 13:00
Doesn't the Anvil just use the best available stats (Runelord or guards) as it doesn't have a profile of its own?

For machines that do have their own profile it really sucks, most of the magic phase in 8th edition does to be honest, when it works that is.

TMATK
19-12-2010, 13:52
I thought anvil of doom could not be removed from game.

Can't be moved.

Doesn't the Anvil just use the best available stats (Runelord or guards) as it doesn't have a profile of its own?

For machines that do have their own profile it really sucks, most of the magic phase in 8th edition does to be honest, when it works that is.

They gave the anvil a profile in the dwarf faq.

Tregar
19-12-2010, 14:20
Moreover, the rules ("Sigh, if I have to...") do state that warmachines auto-fail such tests. And Anvil is a Warmachine.

Xzazzarai
19-12-2010, 22:35
Dwellers auto-kills ALL units with the "Warmachine" special rule, since those units auto-fail str tests.

lacurra
19-12-2010, 22:59
ok, what about the screaming bell and the plague furnace. do they auto fail as well or only the warmachines.

Spinocus
19-12-2010, 23:29
ok, what about the screaming bell and the plague furnace. do they auto fail as well or only the warmachines.

The Screaming Bell & Plague Furnace are NOT war machines, they are both classified as Unique so no auto fail. They both take test on STR 5.

The Grim
20-12-2010, 15:28
I just realised that if the anvil is indeed a warmachine and thus can die that stupidly, the Cauldron is Unique ...grmbl

Palatine Katinka
20-12-2010, 15:42
The Cauldron is Unique in the rulebook but the Dark Elf Update says it is a War Machine. I guess it was easier to say Unique in the rulebook an have then refer to the Update for details as it does need two paragraphs of exceptions/explanations of how it works as a War Machine.