PDA

View Full Version : Anyone uses cairn wraiths and banshees?

SteelTitan
16-12-2010, 11:02
Hey hey,

Ethereal, skirmishers, 3 attacks each, great weapon but 50 points a pop and an additional 25 for the banshee. The unit doesn't come cheap!

Do you use them? And how do you use them?

In which armies do they work?

Col. Dash
16-12-2010, 15:08
At least one of my local players uses them in a unit of 6 along with a 50 ghoul horde and I think 30 grave guard. I dont know what his characters are.

Lord Inquisitor
16-12-2010, 15:14
I see them in small units fairly frequently in VC armies. They're a unit very subjective on your opponent. Sometimes utterly amazing, othertimes (e.g. Against daemons) worthless and a huge waste of points.

In general they're a terrific hard-hitting unit that can tie up or kill much larger units than themselves but horrifically vulnerable to characters and spells.

Malorian
16-12-2010, 16:07
They are amazing in so many ways, and well worth the points.

Nothing I love more than to trow a unit cairn wraiths at a deathstar unit with no magical attacks.

"Hmmm, that unit of 100 khorne maurauders with great weapons sure could hurt my line... cairn wraiths go!!!"

Prince Sairion
16-12-2010, 16:09
Playing demons? Don't take them.

There is an increase in magic I feel in this edition that makes them a slightly expensive risk, but then there's less magic weapons floating around, and against monstrous creatures (that don't have magical attacks) they are priceless. I prefer other vampire counts rares though. . .

LevDaddy
16-12-2010, 16:46
I can't remember the last time I didn't take them. Certainly they have their weaknesses, but they can work wonders, and they always attract a lot of attention, which can free up the rest of your units for a solid Plan B.

Tech Hazard
16-12-2010, 17:39
I tend to take a unit of 5 with 1 upgraded to a banshee. When they work they work like a dream. When they don't you will be wondering why the hell they are so expensive. The truth is that this unit is fun and interesting to play and either wrecks units or dies so fast your head will spin. However, this doesn't mean that they are totally useless against certain armies where they can be dependably harmed. Like any expensive, low model count, unit it all comes down to how you deploy and move them. If I am playing an army where I know they will be much less effective I tend to deply them behind a unit of ghouls or skellies and let the fear of a counter charge or dual charge keep some heavier hitting units at bay. Just remember that you need to be winning combats, that you need to have support, and that they are not a blunt instrument like the Vargulf. Play to their strengths and you will do just fine with them.

Darkangeldentist
16-12-2010, 17:44
I do enjoy taking my wraiths, doesn't matter whether it's a unit of 3 or 10 they will bring something useful to a Vampire army. Their ethereal status makes them either invulnerable or very over-costed but I have found that even against daemons they can be easily worth their points. Even daemons don't like a unit of wraiths charging their flank, especially flesh hounds or most monstrous infantry. Get some support spells on them to make them harder to hurt and even daemons will respect them.

They actually lack a bit of hitting power in my experience as strength five just doesn't quite cut it against a lot of tougher foes. However they do blitz their way through cheap infantry, especially if you are lucky enough to be hitting them on threes and/or re-rolls. Overall though they are a flexible effective answer to a lot of threats vampire counts would otherwise struggle to deal with. The banshee isn't quite as good as I'd like her for the points as you do lose a fair bit of combat punch but her scream is still good against cavalry and long characters who think they can go ghost hunting. Even high Ld ones can fall foul of this. Dark elves with that wretched pendant don't like her one bit.

LevDaddy
16-12-2010, 18:05
Also, they are the ultimate Hydra, (or something equally large, scary, and non magical) trap. Van Hel's them in there and they are more or less a non factor for the battle.

It's always fun to run an ethereal vamp in there with them too. Risky, but fun.

fubukii
17-12-2010, 18:16
Seeing how people are taking less fighty characters, unless you are fighting units with wight blades, or daemonic rules (spirits daemons etc) they absolutely dominate.

Oh hey hydra? got magic attacks? Bye bye
50 man maurader block with MOK and GW lol :)
my personal favorite chaos warriors gg :P

Just avoid characters with magic weapons and your golden. most people dont really use magic that is good at taking them out anymore, and prefer spells that are augments or hexes ( minus big uber spells like dwellers).