PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf List feedback please

Dumbledore
15-12-2010, 18:03
List feedback, please:

Dreadlord, Crown of Command, Pendant of Khaeleth, Enchanted Shield, Whip of Agony, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Dark Steed
Supreme Sorceress, Level 4, Sacrificial Dagger, Talisman Of Preservation
Death Hag BSB, Cauldron of Blood
29 Dark Elf Warriors, Full Command
30 Dark Elf Warriors, Full Command
21 Corsairs, Musician, Standard Bearer, Sea Serpent Standard
5 Harpies
5 Harpies
18 Black Guard, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Murder
7 Witch Elves
7 Witch Elves
5 Shades
5 Shades
War Hydra
War Hydra

What do you think of the small units - the witch elves, shades and harpies? Even 4 Witch Elves can pack a punch against the right target.

Is putting the dreadlord on a steed sensible? His aim is to charge into a nasty enemy unit and hold them. The whip is fun, but is it needed? Might it be better for him to have no magic weapon so that he can fight a challenge without likely ending it, even against unit champions? Is it sensible to put him on a steed? It allows him to race out into combat but makes him more vulnerable to shooting.

Not sure of what lore to put on my lvl4.

Morchaint The Red
15-12-2010, 23:01
Im not really sure why you would run 2 groups of 7 witch elves... shades rock but witches are close combat and not going to do anything they will just get ignored. might as run one squad in two ranks if you dont wanna find the points for a 15 witch i dunno thats just my opinion

sulla
16-12-2010, 05:26
Im not really sure why you would run 2 groups of 7 witch elves... shades rock but witches are close combat and not going to do anything they will just get ignored. might as run one squad in two ranks if you dont wanna find the points for a 15 witch i dunno thats just my opinion2 units of 7 give you the opportunity to influence 2 fights. One unit of 15 doesn't really give you much more hitting power than a unit of 7. It doesn't even give you all that much resilience. If you didn't think 7 could do the job, then you won't think much of 15 after they take a round of shooting/a magic missile.

7's are suicide units. They won't survive more than a couple of phases of cc, but the goal is to make them small enough to slip under the radar, but big enough to discourage anything light charging them. Big units of witches (or even medium sized ones) attract firepower and die.

If possible, hit a unit already in combat, in the flank with them.

frapermax
17-12-2010, 18:42
I agree. Small units of witches are a very nice tool. You could even drop a hydra for another unit of 7 witches and a chariot. use the 5 leftover points for a musician in the witches, they can use their reform well after overrunning due to Frenzy.
Your list can work very well with either Dark or Shadow Magic.
Good luck and keep us posted.
fpm

Dumbledore
11-01-2011, 11:44
Although there are many tricks that can be done with 7 witch elves with a musician (I added them - tricks such as reform in a conga line of 1x7 and charge, they will probably last two or thee rounds of combat when stubborn).

However it is time for a new list.

258 - Dreadlord - Dragonhelm, Pendant of Khaeleth, Crown of Command, Warrior Bane, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Dark Steed
OR
258 - Dreadlord - Armour of Darkness, Pendant of Khaeleth, The Other Trickster’s Shard, Crimson Death, Dark Steed
Supreme Sorceress of Shadow Magic - Level 4, Sacrificial Dagger, Black Dragon Egg, Talisman Of Preservation
Death Hag - BSB, Cauldron of Blood
20 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen - Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields
20 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen - Musician, Standard Bearer, Shields
29 Dark Elf Warriors - Champion, Musician, Standard Bearer
20 Corsairs - Musician, Standard Bearer, Sea Serpent Standard (7 wide)
5 Harpies
5 Harpies
9 Cold One Knights - Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Hag Graef
War Hydra
War Hydra

Not sure which Dreadlord build to go for. I would have liked some AHW shades. There is great synergy between shadow magic and 80 crossbow shots/combat units+cauldron.

tmarichards
11-01-2011, 14:12
I've been running my Dreadlord with that top set-up, but with Soul Render (and no shield)- he doesn't mind getting attacked, and even in a challenge he's unlikely to win combat on the charge.

I've stopped running my level 4 with anything other than the Stabby Dagger and the Pearl- I know ld9 with a re-roll should be enough to keep her in the fight, but without the ItP she runs away so much... I've never found the need for her to have an expensive ward save, if I think she'll need one I use the Cauldron.

I've also switched back to small units of xbows, I prefer the flexibility thye provide. However, I can't deny that I loved rolling 40 shots at a time :)

I'd give the Corsairs the flaming banner, then they'd be excellent to put in a Watchtower at the start of the game. However, I'm still not convinced that they're that much better than warriors witht he benefits of a Cauldron and Shadow, except for perhaps in the Watchtower scenario.

I also run 2 units of warriors, one main unit of 20 with full command and flaming banner to serve as my supporting block and another of around 15 (basically however many spare points I have) with just a standard bearer and musician for the level 4 to sit in. This keep her out of combat nicely, and gives me some more flexibility.

Love harpies, keep them! A unit of dark riders is also always a good investment (with xbows, standard bearer and musician), I'm still only running 5 3x2, but I'm tempted to try and move up to 6 in bigger games.

ASF banner isn't really necessary on the knights... and tbh, I've not been impressed at all by my knights. I've found Black Guard, with a Cauldron and Shadow, to be better in every way, shape and form. That 2+ armour save looks nice, but they still die remarkably quickly. I took a unit of 6 to the UK Throne of Skulls last year (the first 8th edition one), and they had to spend a lot of time hiding to avoid being shot to pieces. 20 Black Guard with full command, banner of murder and Crimson Death on the champ is still one of m favourite units. I have, however, been tempted to take away the AP banner and give them the ASF banner- I know they get re-rolls anyway, but the main things they struggle against in combat (elite HE infantry, Daemonettes etc) get a lot worse againt BG if they also have ASF, whereas with Okkams the BG are usually fine against armour (if I want to get it off, I'll usually throw all my dice at it at the start of the phase and hope for the double 6).