PDA

View Full Version : Bad Opponents: Your experiences.

scar face
16-12-2010, 21:42
What are the worst experiences with bad opponents you've played aganst guys, whether cheaters, sore losers or downright gits.

I've been lucky enough not really to have had any really poor opponents, but have you had any bad ones?

scar

ColShaw
16-12-2010, 21:55
At a tournament several months ago, 2v2 team tournament, one of my opponents ended up apologizing to my partner and me for his partner's behavior, it was so bad. He started out sarcastic and ended up outright angry, bitter, and mean-spirited. It's one of only two times I've ever zeroed an opponent on sportsmanship score.

The other time was a loooong time ago (~10 years), in a Rogue Trader tournament, where I took a shooty IG army up against an all-Genestealer anti-Marine Tyranid army. I killed half his army on Turn 1, most of the rest Turn 2, and at the start of Turn 3 he just packed up his army and left the tournament without one word to me or anyone else. I understood his frustration, but that sort of thing just does not fly in a tournament setting.

DJ3
16-12-2010, 22:17
Originally, I got into the game with three friends who were also brand new to it and we played a handful of small games together to get a vague handle on the rules. I'd never even been to the local game store before, but I went in to buy some glue once and saw they were starting an escalation league, which I signed up for.

My very first game at the store, I got matched against a guy who flat-out cheats. All the time. Even being new, I'm a bit of a rules freak and managed to correct him on a few things (when he was pretending not to know he was doing illegal things--though at the time, I thought he just didn't know).

After the game, some of the regulars took me aside and pointed out all the things he'd done to cheat me during the game, including rolling dice while I wasn't looking and then openly re-rolling them if he didn't like the outcomes. He also has a tendency to roll, then state what that roll was for.

The absolute clincher was at the very end of the game, he was performing a handful of Runs to try to reach objectives at the last second. He played Necrons, and there was a Tomb Spider that had gotten stranded on the far end of the table and hadn't done anything for two turns--he hadn't even been moving it, because he knew it was never going to reach anything again.

A unit of Warriors needed a ~3" roll on their Run to reach an objective and probably win the game. He rolls a dice, it's a 1--he then states it was the Tomb Spider's Run roll.

The only time I've played him since was at 'Ard Boyz last year. Tabled him on Turn 3. Felt good.

GrogDaTyrant
16-12-2010, 22:21
There's a player who frequents some of the LGSs I go to. He mostly plays marines, but at one time had Lizardmen for Fantasy. Lately though, I've mostly seen him playing other game systems entirely (mostly the CCG kind).

In any case, he's the typical "That Guy" of the stores. When he's winning, he rubs it in your face, gloats about it, and typically acts like a total jack-***. If he's loosing, he pouts, whines about imbalance, and always tries to blame dice rolls (as if he just didn't get enough 6's) or 'bad draws' (CCGs and not getting his 7-card 'God-hand').

Reflex
16-12-2010, 22:25
We have a regular bloke come to the LGG with a tay army. It's not one of the most compedative lists in the world but that's my opinion. Anytime you play him he starts by verbally destroying your army paint job, army list, the background of your army and how tau are the most superior army in the galaxy.

Then by turn 3 when half of his army is in smoke he claims bad rolling or that it's just a bad day, proceeds to up the sarcasm and claiming he was actually gong easy on you because he felt sorry for you. By turn 4 he packs up and moves on. It's gotten to the point where it's gone past asking him to be consider his manners to playing him for sheer entertainment to see how he acts. Quite fun in the end really.

pringles978
16-12-2010, 22:32
the worst behaviour i have ever seen has sadly come from myself... just the once though. i was playing a mordheim campaign, and was undefeated all the way up to the final game, a 6 player scenario from white dwarf. teh campaign organiser was sniping at me since i thrashed him in the first game and would frequently hover over any game i was playing giving advice to the other player and trying to misinterpret rules on my opponents behalf. i also got a lot of abuse as soon as i left, pretty bad stuff from what i was told.

it came to the last game, and he convinced all the other players to gang up on me as the most powerfull gang. i stomped the lot of them and only took one casualty in the process, then won the objective with a lucky shot. i was verry happy, he was a cauldron of rage. i probably should have taken the high ground, but couldnt resist mounting my chair and pelvic thrusting in his face and singing the song from team america, relacing every instance of "america" with my gang name whils he packed up...

in retrospect, pretty bad on my part... but i think he deserved it...

Vaktathi
16-12-2010, 22:43
The worst I ever had was against a guy who had shown up at local tournaments before and had major issues every single time and *always* looked like someone pissed in his cheerios the second something didn't go his way and stayed like that the whole day. He also seemed to bring a different army every time. The first time he showed up he kept trying to claim that his Gaunts gave his hive tyrants and carnifex's a cover save, and got rather ******** when people pointed out that no, in fact you did not get this. At a later event he simply packed up early and left when facing Grey Knights army he was sure to practically table when he didn't want to deal with a couple anti-chaos rules with his CSM's, and at the same event IIRC he got into an argument about LoS, vehicle facings, and cover saves trying to deny his opponent a 4+ obscured and then got *really* mad when we then informed him that his opponent was actually entitled to a 3+ cover for extreme angle due to not being able to see the facing he was in. He had issues like this every single time, and really tried to intimidate his opponents through being loud and forceful even when dead wrong.

When it came time to play me, he could not rush through turns fast enough, wanting to get through turns 5, 6 and 7 in fifteen minutes (in a 2000pt game), despite having made loud protestations in his previous game about wanting to call it at turn 5 with about as much time to spare in the interests of "fairness". He had multiple issues, of which he was incorrect in all that I remember that day with each opponent he faced, and was trying to play his Nurgle Terminators as Fearless units despite this not being the case, and claim cover saves for 2 of 7 guys obscured in units and the like. He then made loud protestations about how almost every game people were trying to cheat and play unfairly, how probably one of the nicest and meekest dudes there who was known for playing very much to the rules was grossly mismeasuring all his movements and how I kept trying to stall and play slow (when most opponents generally ask me to slow down), and had done such things at several past events.

After a bunch of drama after the event, he was asked not to come back to the store again.

DuskRaider
16-12-2010, 22:47
At my FLGS we have "Space Wolves Guy" who is also "Sisters of Battle Guy". He claims to be into the game for fun and fluff, yet attempts to field the cheesiest lists known to man (which isn't easy with SoB, but mind numbingly easy w/ SW). The problem is, the guy has no tactics. In fact, I don't even think "tactics" are in his vocabulary. Every single time I show up at the store, I'm the guy stuck playing him because everyone else refuses to. The other guys choose me simply because I table him constantly and he gets upset and doesn't show up for a couple weeks.

One time I played against this guy, 2000 point game, his Space Wolves VS my Orks. I allowed him to pick the points, set up the table, choose his side, and I even set up first (this guy doesn't believe in taking turns fielding units, most people object, I simply don't give a damn). His army consisted of 2 Ven. Dreads in Drop Pods, something like 20 Terminators, Logan, Bike Marines, and 3 Rune Priests (one on Bike). I really can't remember if or what else there was. I fielded 2 Big Meks w/ KFF, 2 Dreads, 6 Kans, 6 Boyz in Trukks, 10 Lootas, and 15 Burnas in a Battle Wagon (again, I'm not quite sure if this is dead on, going by memory). Took four turns, his Rune Priests were useless against the mechanized glory of the Orks, he decided to COMPLETELY ignore the Battle Wagon w/ 15 Burnas & Big Mek w/ KFF in it, which promptly sent 10 Terminators to a charred death in one shooting phase.

In the process of playing this game, I was told Burnas are broken, Battle Wagons are broken, mechanized Orks are broken, KFFs are broken, Grotzookas are broken, Lootas are broken, Space Wolves are weak against my list, which he also claims I made just to counter his (funniest part is, I made it prior to showing up and he wrote his after seeing my force). Absolutely the most miserable experience in my life. Granted, I did win, but the claims of everything in my army being broken or my dice being loaded or this or that turned it into such a horrible experience that I've barely shown up to my FLGS since then.

aenimosity
16-12-2010, 23:05
I've been guilty of losing my temper and whinging about luck and rules (my first experience of no retreat wounds across multiple squads). I felt like a real tool afterwards as I'd turned what would have been a satisfying win for my opponent into a game where he obviously didn't want to continue.

I apologised afterwards but I still get embarrassed even thinking of it.

RobPro
16-12-2010, 23:29
I've managed to get through every game of 40k I have started to play except one (aside from games with time constraints). I played my Necrons when I was still fairly new to them against some guys Tyranids, and he pretty much said I was cheating at all times in every phase of the game. So for movement, shooting, and assault I pretty much had to go through the rulebook with each unit and show how what I was doing (aka moving shooting or assaulting) was in the rulebook. I had to bust out GW FAQs for things that have been the same for Necrons over the last 8 years, and this player also had Necrons as his first army so I assumed he might have read the codex at one point. To make it worse, he kept going to the person who had organized the league (who was also trying to play a game) to ask if what I was doing was allowed, and the guy kept saying "Tell him to stop and stop bothering me."

So after 3 hours and just stating the top of turn 3, I said you win this one. My time is worth more than that, and I'm more than happy to give a "win" away to someone like that then spend time being pissed about someone's poor gamesmanship for 2 more hours. This player plays like that pretty much every game he is involved in, which I found out later.

daboarder
16-12-2010, 23:32
(this guy doesn't believe in taking turns fielding units, most people object, I simply don't give a damn).

could you clarify this? it sounds like he's the one who is setting up properly as thats how it works nowdays, the player with first turn sets his WHOLE army up and hen the other guy does the same after.

DuskRaider
16-12-2010, 23:38
The way I've played since god only knows (and my FLGS and group of friends) is you take turns setting up units. Since I go first, I set up Troops, then you, then Heavy, then you, then HQ, then you, then Fast Attack, then you, then Elites, then you. I think it's from one of the older Editions, we just never got rid of it. Kind of a house rule at our LGS. Granted, I could care less either way but it's just been the status quo for us for so long.

the creator
16-12-2010, 23:43
i had a guy start to cry in the portsmouth store because he was losing badly by turn 3 (my necrons vs his marines). no, really. Then he started to have a PROPER tamtrum, like a child. he threw his arms up and down, went rad faced and started to smash his figure case half full of models on the table violently. feet stomping around, screaming out through rage filled tears.

i lent over to the store guys and whispered "er, this guy a little "special" or something?" store guy said "no, just that one guy that every store has. A bad, cheating loser"

guy then points at me and shouts at the top of his lungs "You're the cheater!!! YOU! YOU! YOU!"
"er..."
"YOU!!!!!!" guy then flips the table and stomps off down the high street crying.

i was just shocked and dumbstruck. Now, im concerned with the imperial plight against the necrons, but, wow!

Necromion
17-12-2010, 03:56
@the creator that is um... wow!:eek: I do hope your Necrons survived the catastrophe.

but anyways, I have played a guy who sadly I can say I had to count the number of dice he was rolling as I found him adding dice to his roll, he would misteriously have 6 show up for armor saves, etc.

Silver Fox
17-12-2010, 04:49
This was back about 2 years ago, I was still working on my Eldar army and was borrowing a friends SM army. I was getting completely torn apart by CSM forces and was probably going to be tabled by next round (4). The CSM guy started to brag about his tactual genius and was generally being an a**.

So my solution was that as each unit failed a roll and was not killed by the result then committed sepuku. By the end of the game the entire store was in laughter by my remarks of each SM comment of failing before the glorious light of the emperor. The a** kinda slunk away after my undamaged chapter commander fell on his power sword for killing the air in a CC round. I found out later that this guy is an a** when winning and a cry baby when losing.

easternheretic
17-12-2010, 04:56
The worst experience I've ever had was an apoc game when the system first came out.

The organizer turned out to be all round git.

For starter, he is rules nazi who would always insist on his interpretation of a badly worded rule every time, one of the chaps on my side ended up arguing with him a fair number of time over semantics, stalling the game.

He would insist we remeasure almost every movement we made, even though it was proven time and time again, that non on our side were making incorrect measurements or attempting to cheat.

Mind you it was an imperium (his side) vs nids (my side) games where we were fielding a horde of small nids among other things.

Moving small bugs back and forth because a git insist we remeasure everything was NOT FUN.:mad::wtf:

And the worst thing about the game, was that it was rigged to be one sided, pro imperium of course.

An across the board AV 14 wall blocking all the objectives which the imperium started the game holding. Disruption beacons every where. No out flanking allowed. And a house rule not allowing the nid bio titan on the board till turn 4, while the imperium had a free ran with their super heavies.

The nids were mowed down like when wheat meet scythe.

In retrospect most of the players agreed to play because we wanted to try out the new rules and use every model in our respective collections and did not realize that it would be so one sided until after the game.:eyebrows::shifty:

Needless to say, I've never had another game with the git.

Cheers

chromedog
17-12-2010, 05:29
I found out later that this guy is an a** when winning and a cry baby when losing.

Have a guy like that in my club.

I just don't play him. If I'm in a club league and matched up against him, then I skip that meeting (games are announced in advance on club forums). He gets points for a win without playing, I don't have to play him. We both win.

eldargal
17-12-2010, 05:29
Last time I was in a tournament I was slapped and called some very rude things by my opponent when I beat him. I broke his nose, and to be fair to him he did write me a letter of apology and sent some money with it through the tournament organisers.
That is the worst case, but apart from that:
I've had guys hit on me during games and get angry when I tell them to focus on the game, I've been asked if I paint naked, told that if I lose I have to take my top off, told that I can't play well because I'm a girl and then when I win accused to cheating, had people sneer because Eldar 'are a stereotypical girls army', accussed of being in the hobby to pick up boys (wtf?), told I'm not a proper player because my brothers got me into the hobby etc, etc.

jdunn
17-12-2010, 05:30
So, this will turn out to be REALLY sad but round here at the GW i frequent (and a few of my VERY close friends) the worst person at the store is the MANAGER!

First, i feel i should give a bit of background...

We originally avoided this particular manager's store because the mentality he gave was something along the lines of "if you're not in our group of close friends, then up yours we're going to ruin your gaming experience". So naturally we avoided coming to this particular GW.

Sadly, though, the GW where we LOVED the manager and all the employees had to close down (due in part to the OPENING of the other guy's store, [we think GW expanded too quickly in our area, and therefore had to shut down the ones that WE liked alot]) So, as it came to pass, we (and basically all of the regulars at GW shop #1) had to migrate to this douche bags shop, where every weekend we spend being verbally abused for no reason at all. He actually yelled at me for opening the OPEN (customer) copy of the rules book to settle a quarry i had with an opponent.

Our current state is that we're beginning to get so fed up with this guy that we our considering going over his head to get him outta there. He really is an ******* to all of us there.

oh and on top of all this, he's a sore loser. whines and complains and talks trash about your paint jobs. really makes us angry.

FashaTheDog
17-12-2010, 05:39
I once had someone tell me my models were so badly painted they felt the need to take points from my sportsmanship score since they could take enough from painting. It would have been a bad opponent had I not agreed with him. :(

adreal
17-12-2010, 05:46
I know of someone who blamed a paint scheme for a loss.

He's also blamed the other persons deployment

Um, I'm sure there are others, but some of it might be hyperbole, but those two are legit.

Oh, he once had a round changed at a tournie because he didn't like who he ended up against. Like seriously, had a whole round re-drawn. Okay there is some backstory invoving alleged bullying, but this guy also bullys people so little sympathy from me.

He also, because he felt his air cav guard got to low a comp score (high comp=good) took dives in every game to prove that his air cav wasnt 'to hard'. I mean sure I felt hard done by that my slaanesh CSM list got a 2/5 for comp (large unit of raptors with plasma pistols, no lash, 2 units of havocs) but I got over it and rolled with the punches, but a vets in planes list does seem to warrent a 1/5 (shrugs)

DuskRaider
17-12-2010, 05:49
I once had someone tell me my models were so badly painted they felt the need to take points from my sportsmanship score since they could take enough from painting. It would have been a bad opponent had I not agreed with him. :(

Dude, that's horrible... :(

adreal
17-12-2010, 06:16

Man I joke about this with some of my mates, especially when they build a hard army, but someone is actually like that??

Dude that sucks

adreal
17-12-2010, 06:17
Last time I was in a tournament I was slapped and called some very rude things by my opponent when I beat him. I broke his nose, and to be fair to him he did write me a letter of apology and sent some money with it through the tournament organisers.
I've had guys hit on me during games and get angry when I tell them to focus on the game, I've been asked if I paint naked, told that if I lose I have to take my top off, told that I can't play well because I'm a girl and then when I win accused to cheating, had people sneer because Eldar 'are a stereotypical girls army', accussed of being in the hobby to pick up boys (wtf?), told I'm not a proper player because my brothers got me into the hobby etc, etc.

double post (sorry), but man it must suck to be a girl in this hobby:(

daboarder
17-12-2010, 06:36
The way I've played since god only knows (and my FLGS and group of friends) is you take turns setting up units. Since I go first, I set up Troops, then you, then Heavy, then you, then HQ, then you, then Fast Attack, then you, then Elites, then you. I think it's from one of the older Editions, we just never got rid of it. Kind of a house rule at our LGS. Granted, I could care less either way but it's just been the status quo for us for so long.

You should start playing the way the BRB says you'll run into alot of alpha strike lists in 5th and the new deployment helps to mitigate the first turn advantage by allowing you to react to the situation.

not to say that people are building alpha strike lists but that the codex's have reached the point where you can reliable wipe out a large a number of units in a single turn, as such the new codexs are basically balanced around the new deployments, sounds strange but its true for example many tyranid armies get shot off the table with unit by unit deployment against the other 5th ed lists.

edit: Nicely done eldargal

AFnord
17-12-2010, 07:17
In a gaming store that I frequented about 10 years ago we had this guy who was constantly switching armies. He would play with his army two-three times, get angry/annoyed because he was loosing, and then switch army, always complaining about the army. He managed to go through 5 armies in a year in 40k, and 3 in fantasy.

And on the subject on girls & warhammer, I had a friend who was interested in starting to play warhammer, so I invited her over to the store, to show her how it worked. Sadly there was this one guy in the store who came up and started to hit on her. I don't mind people hitting on each other, but there are people who simply don't know how to do it, and this was one of these guys. He started to talk about how good he was at warhammer, and how bad I was, claiming that he had won several times against me (he did of course forget to mention that he had won two times against me, and I had won more than 10 against him...), then he went on about how she should come over to his place so that he could show her how to play warhammer, and how to paint, and it went on and on. I did of course notice what was going on, so I attempted to interrupt him, by simply starting to explain how the game worked, and explaining and by explaining some of the basic tactics in warhammer (after all, she was there to learn the basics), but he did not get the hint, so even while I was explaining how shooting & cover worked, he continued to hit on her...
My friend was sadly not very interested in returning to the store after that ordeal.

DeviantApostle
17-12-2010, 07:23
The guy who I had to physically restrain to prevent him from flipping the table after I tabled his army on turn 2 ranks high up there.

The guy who would habitually bring 50% more points than you agreed upon, then would still lose... I'm not sure if he was more funny or sad.

The BA player who rage quit because I told him where to stick his whining while he was losing to toxin sac Tyranids using an Iyanden army (that he saw before deciding to field Wrathguard and Wraithlords). I wasn't even playing in the game either, the guy disrupted the whole thing.

The guy who broke his models at the end of a club session because he lost.

I have to say, though, that wargamers who treat girl gamers badly are damn lucky they've never done it in front of me.

GW staffers, however, can be the worst. THe good ones are simply annoying with their insistances that badly out of date codexes don't need an update. The one that physically abused his co-workers had to be the worst of the worst. They guy who insisted that the WD Necron Raider force didn't exist in 2nd edition was crazy. At least their hiring practices don't seem to include 'must be a total git' anymore.

eldargal
17-12-2010, 07:50
Sometimes, yes, but on the whole its fine, its only a very small minority that make trouble, most are fine, if a bit clueless sometimes.

double post (sorry), but man it must suck to be a girl in this hobby:(

chromedog
17-12-2010, 08:03
I know of someone who blamed a paint scheme for a loss.

He's also blamed the other persons deployment

Um, I'm sure there are others, but some of it might be hyperbole, but those two are legit.

Oh, he once had a round changed at a tournie because he didn't like who he ended up against. Like seriously, had a whole round re-drawn. Okay there is some backstory invoving alleged bullying, but this guy also bullys people so little sympathy from me.

That you, Brian? (not the one you refer to, are you the same Adreal?)
Orange wargamers?

agurus1
17-12-2010, 08:12

I apologize on behalf of the men (although I do know that a fair amount are not total gits on the whole :P) in the hobby. at my local store there are a few girls, but we just treat them with respect like everyone else :)

on to bad experiences. we have started a "planet strike fridays" at my local GW and there is this one guy who whenever he gets the chance to be on the defensive, literally covers his side of the board with terrain, and leaves the other side blank lol. Its wierd because he is a SM player, and lately I've only been using my IG Vostroyans. He also usually runs with about 25% more points than we agree too ("forgets his list") usually has illegal unit set ups (5 man tactical squad with special weapon and heavy weapon) and the usual senanigans (sp?). Its not really that big of a deal but it gets frustrating just knowing that you are going up against a guy that tries to the point of being "unsportsman like" to win. I've tabled him every time, (sometimes I don't quite know how I manage it, good scatter rolls with my Russ) but yeah just annoying.

Putty
17-12-2010, 08:58
some eldar player. store campaign. i was playing nids then.

he was notorious for being a cheat and i knew about his reputation but never played him until then (didn't have a choice... campaign game and i needed to do my part for the team).

he didn't paint his harlequins and dire avengers (they were just primed black) so they looked the same on the table. he either changed one of the dire avengers into harlequins halfway through the game or something along that line.

he also ignore wraith-sight when he activated his wraithlords until i called him out on it.

he also keeps moving his models about even after he finished moving them and never failed to move an extra inch here and there.

he refuses to roll all his attacks and wounds in a single mass roll (despite having enough dice) and preferred to roll his attacks and wounds in batches of 6 or 12 and use his "memory" to remember the hits and wounds.

and he brought a list just to beat nids.

by turn 3 i pretty much gave up when i realized how much he was cheating and just let him have the game.

it was no coincidence that he was ejected from a tournament a few years back for extremely unsporting behavior (and also giving the judge lip).

scar face
17-12-2010, 09:03
Although I havn't really had any bad opponents, you do get the ones who walk off and go and look at something on the shelves or buy something halfway through your turn and cry 'cheat' if you do anything while they're gone.

scar

wickedvoodoo
17-12-2010, 09:12
This thread amazes me. It makes me very glad me and my housemate have our own games room and enough good friends to come play in it.

I have played in clubs before, spent a while playing at Phat Catz in Leicester whilst I was at uni there and have also played a few games at Maelstroms new premises in Mansfield where I live now, but I have never seen behaviour as poor as some have described here.

Just wow. Some of the people you have described just wouldn't be able to get a game amongst my friends. Not if they act like that.

Overlord Krycis
17-12-2010, 09:26
Not a game I've been in but witnessed as I was playing next to them:
Female gamer (precious few of them to start with, really is a shame as they tend to have beautifully painted armies)using Orks against the resident cheater/jerk/failed Powergamer using Blood Angels.
Turn 1: Orks leg it across field, Blood Angels player moves a little bit then makes some cheesy chat up line... :eyebrows:
Turn 2: Orks open up with a ton of shooting (shoota boys in trukks, lootas, SAG etc) causing horrendous damage to Blood Angels army...Blood Angels player makes comments regarding "red rage" and "time of the month"...worst part is quite a few people round him laugh. :rolleyes:
Turn 3: Orks get in combat, wipe Blood Angels from table...Blood Angels player (after removing models) mutters rather unpleasant name to Ork player and then insinuates that she'll never get a boyfriend if she doesn't let men win...:wtf:

Ork player has NEVER been back to the store, even after the Blood Angels player was banned for inappropriate comments.

scar face
17-12-2010, 09:29
Mmm, I've also seen that females do seem to bring some of the nicest painted armies to the store. Unfortunately, none of them seem to come back.

scar

Overlord Krycis
17-12-2010, 09:32
Mmm, I've also seen that females do seem to bring some of the nicest painted armies to the store. Unfortunately, none of them seem to come back.

scar

yes they do...it really is a shame that a lot of people seem to see the hobby as "male only" and get really funny when female gamers turn up.
Maybe we should all organise an equal gender rights group for gamers...:D

orkz222
17-12-2010, 09:34
Well I encounter once with a cheater/arrogant opponent (adult).

Was returning to 40k after a 2-3year hiatus , played my 3rd 5th edition game with this guy, who claimed he was some champ of some tourney and he play all 40k armies. I brought a 1.5k csm list (some marines , berzerkers, 1 khorne DP and 3 obliterators etc). He brought a nob biker list which he claimed nv lost.

His deff kopters (S3 FC) charge my CSM and when rolling to wound he told me he wound on 3+ and in subsequent CC he rolled 4+ for to wound. Suspecting the strength of his deff kopters I question him and he "accidentally" forget that chaos marines were T4, he gave me this reply "I thought chaos marines were T3". A champion in some tourney who also plays all 40k arimes forgetting marines are T4?? I gave him the benefit of doubt and continued the game.

During my turn, when I am rolling to hit or whatever, he was not around the table and went around the place talking to other people. To be fair, I asked him if he wants to see my rolls and he gave me an arrogant reply " I am the champion of XXXX tourney, I am not afraid of you cheating" (I think he meant even if I cheat I cant beat him). Ironically he was the one cheating.
Anyway I lost the game, and he proclaimed his VICTORY to everyone that he tabled me.

:D oh well some people just need these things to boost their self esteem. I never play him again and treat him as a stranger when I see him in the LGS.

scar face
17-12-2010, 09:44
I'm ashamed to say that once in a while I have cheated against clueless beginners in the way that, say, my mates want to go to lunch with me and Im stuck playing a beginner who I'm most likely going to table anyway- (in about 2 hours after they've finished their unimaginably looooonnng turn), so I end up 'speeding the game up' with a few extra shots from my guns etc.

scar

bert n ernie
17-12-2010, 10:11

Oh no! I read this thinking you were a guy. It was fairly funny, and I thought you must be a really good looking man :angel: Like Captain Jack Harkness or something.
If it makes you feel any better I have seen guys flirt with guys at a game (although I think it was a joke, one subsequently came out) and when we used to play games on a snooker table in a bar we used to say that if you were tabled you had to run around the bar with their trousers around their ankles. Again, that was in games with guys only.

I have a few friends who have eyesight problems, and just can't paint well. We used to have 'battle' and 'overall' just because they would never win otherwise. If someone has tried, then they've tried.

Lord Damocles
17-12-2010, 10:36
This picture does more to illustrate my worst game of 40K* better than words ever could:
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y310/Lord_Damocles/APOC.jpg

A few choice moments:
- Complete lack of WYSIWYG in opponant's army. 'This Carnifex is a Tervigon with whatever I say it's got. This Zoanthrope is the Doom. These random selection of Gaunts and Gants are Termagants'. etc.
Opponants having no objectives, tape measures, or the rules for the mission...
- Two Doom of Malantais. TWO!
- Willful cheating - Moving well over 6" a turn; moving assaulting models, moving a differnet unit, finding that it can't make base contact and moving both units agian; Refusing to stay 2" away from enemy models; claiming cover saves for standing a Hive Tyrnat behind a ruin because it wouldn't balance on top (wobbly model syndrone) etc.
- Marching round to my (our) side of the table and noisily accusing me of being a cheat because, 'Guardsmen aren't BS4!' Even Company Command Squad members, eh?
- Playing about on iPod/MP3 player thingy and paying no attention during our turn, and then accusing us over over-measuring.
- Claiming that I didn't have line of sight because, 'You can only see his head!'
- Playing extremely slowly when they were ahead on victory conditions, and then at the end of our corresponding game turn (we went second) demanding that they be given another turn (but not us, oh no...) because they were now losing.
- Repeatedly knocking over my/our models.

Worst game ever /Comic Book Guy

*It was a triples tournament** using the Apoc mission (but normal FOC), so there was always a fair chance of it turning into a disaster, but still....
**In fact the whole tournament was an utter disaster, but that's a rant for another day...

DeviantApostle
17-12-2010, 10:47
Remembered another one.

This one dude that kept on and on that pistols give an extra attack in an assault because they count as 'extra hand weapons' even though you're not double armed, so Tactical Marines get an additional attack and refused to believe different.

theunwantedbeing
17-12-2010, 10:58

Sorry but I can't help but find that utterly hailarious.
No offence meant at all, but I do have in mind several of my local players who you could reasonably say that about the "armies" they field.
I doubt your army was anything like as bad as that though, probably it looks like a golden daemon entry by comparison!

Anywho....
Players just plain eyeballing distances rather than measuring them.
-12"+ move for the back guys of a big squad of guants for example..on a run roll of 4"!!!!
-Rolling run moves and not declaring who it's for first.
-Eldrad sitting between 2 units, only to have the other guy told "actually he was with the unit next to the one you just shot at"
-Genestealers with every single upgrade, same for gaunts and such....even the ones your not allowed to have together
-Being over the points by upto 50%
-Not including equiptment upgrades into points costs
-Snapping some kids tank barrel off because he didn't like how it had been lengthened to seemingly gain a bit of extra range (apparently, the guy was bragging about it, I told him I'de of hit him for that, he shut up then)

Lots of other rules misinterpretations as well but I forget most of them.
Mostly it's just people measuring really badly and moving way further than they should be, way wayyyyy further.

Never seen anyone throw any real tantrums.
Few have packed up and left mid-game though due to comments made by those around them.

I did have one guy yell at me for telling him he wasn't following the rules properly.
Which he wasn't.

As for girls in the hobby, we've got a few round here, not loads.
Mostly girls come in to buy models to paint, and never play it seems, or are simply the girlfreind of somebody in the store and are simply there to chat rather than doing anything warhammer related. It's a shame that girls feel so alienated by that one guy (who is always there) who feels the need to try to hit on them and drives them away as a result.

Reflex
17-12-2010, 11:04
Remembered another one.

This one dude that kept on and on that pistols give an extra attack in an assault because they count as 'extra hand weapons' even though you're not double armed, so Tactical Marines get an additional attack and refused to believe different.

I know 2 people that tried to argue this. i simply showed them the rulebook and it promptly hushed their illogical rants.

it reminds me of when 5th ed came out a BT player tried to argue his powerfist wielding initiate still has 2 attacks (1 standard + 1 for BP + PF) considering it was a 4th edition codex. i think it was more the pain that his powerfist guys, after a charging round of combat were significantly less effective.

but going down the lane of chaotic rants, I got told off by my opponent that as my commander did not have a bolt pistol modeled on him but had only an empty holster he could not have one ergo could not shoot or gain a bonus attack in combat. Going by this logic his standard bearer only had a poll and no flag, so no bonus from that, his apothacary only had a chansword (no reductor or nathecium modelled) and so his squad did not have FNP. he told me to stop being such a WYSIWYG stiff or he would leave. I double face palmed and conceded.

DeeKay
17-12-2010, 11:14
I'm sure that if I were to ask my friends, they could pull up instances where we have all either misinterpreted the rules or done something out of character when losing/lost. I can't really think of any deliberate cheating apart from one guy that is always a little too enthusiastic with moving his models. You know, 6" move becomes 8 because he jogs the tape, or moves from front to back. A quick "Could you slow down" or "That's too far" usually does the trick. Either that or do the same yourself. He soon lets you know about that.

Apart from that, the only incredibly bad opponent I had was mainly down to bad planning for a tourney in London. Our group had arranged a coach to get a load of us there but had cocked up so we had to leave games early. My last opponent took full advantage of this fact, playing for time, asking me to check every rule for whatever I happened to be doing, claiming his plasma cannon didn't have to die if he failed an overheat check (this was back in 3rd Ed), claiming cover for standing on a hill in the open and so on. It is from that incident I draw upon the hatred my Chaos armies feel for Dark Angels. Given the state of the DA codex, I'd say it's karma.

With regards,
Dan.

TheWarmaster
17-12-2010, 13:24
I'm am afraid I might act like a child if I win, but that's because I play so rarely, and win as seldom. If that makes sense. There's a guy at our club who always whines "imba, you didn't roll properly, That's a cheesy list" etc. I kinda like him otherwise. But I haven't played that many games yet.

Ravenous
17-12-2010, 13:48
Ive been playing in tournaments for over a decade now and luckily Ive only run into 4 people I would never like to play again. Hell I even remember their names and armies but I wont go into that, anyway here's the list of people

1) bombed my soft scores because I killed his daemon prince with 1 shot back in 4th
2) Manged to get 2 turns done in 2 hours, and then bombed my soft scores cause I asked him to hurry up and stop stalling after the first hour long turn.
3) The 4+'er basically got to cheat 50% of the time.
4) Rules lawyer to the extreme, this guy called me a cheat because he saw me "eyeing" the measurements, as in Im looking at the table and guessing how far away you are, according to him thats premeasuring...

I'm am afraid I might act like a child if I win, but that's because I play so rarely, and win as seldom. If that makes sense. There's a guy at our club who always whines "imba, you didn't roll properly, That's a cheesy list" etc. I kinda like him otherwise. But I haven't played that many games yet.

Read this good sir: http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2010/10/forumitis-i-only-play-for-fun.html

Best part about it is when he calls out "for fun" gamers freaking out over losing, because its so bloody true.

eldargal
17-12-2010, 14:14
Oh, and add the Warmachine players at a certain University club which shall remain nameless who refuse to play anyone who still collects Games Workshop products. Yes chaps, I'm sure Privateer Press will be thrilled with the way you are spreading the word about their game for them. Put me right off Warmachine, which is completely irrational but there you go.

Oh, and I'm not generalising about Warmachine players, some of my brothers play it. I just can't get into it now.

ColShaw
17-12-2010, 14:33

I feel like I should apologize on behalf of my whole gender. No one deserves to be treated like that. Maybe this is one reason there aren't more women who play Warhammer, and that's a shame (I've never actually played a Warhammer game against a woman, though my college girlfriend did join my Mordheim league).

I hope you've had good experiences in the hobby, too. I swear, gamer guys aren't all like that.

Mannimarco
17-12-2010, 14:46
Welcome to the wonderful world of the maladjusted social misfit, the time spent deploying armies is probably the longest contact these people have ever had with a female who isnt their own mother.

Sad really, it gives us gamers a bad name and makes us look look like a bunch of degenerates.

Erwos
17-12-2010, 15:01
Cheating is when you do it on purpose.

Being misinformed is when you do it by accident.

Unfortunately, GW's approach to rules (selling them in bite-sized chunks via codices) makes it stupidly easy for some people to cheat, because you just cannot be familiar with all of them as a newer player.

Nomrana Est
17-12-2010, 15:12
Welcome to the wonderful world of the maladjusted social misfit, the time spent deploying armies is probably the longest contact these people have ever had with a female who isnt their own mother.

Sad really, it gives us gamers a bad name and makes us look look like a bunch of degenerates.

Very true there. I could never behave towards a woman in the manner that has been described here. It just isn't right at all. Most of the time, those that behave badly towards women will end up getting floored by me, as my moral coding immediately kicks in.

On topic though, I've rarely had any sort of game, and, for some reason, I tend to be matched against the power gamers, and downright a***s, which all promptly decided to attack me and me alone. Now, I wouldn't mind that, it was an Apoc game first of all, and I had a full battle company and Banblade at my disposal, but their constant attacks against me soon got boring. My team ended up winning the game though, much to their chagrin. I didn't feel so vindicated in my life. :D

I have run into other players that do constantly throw the blame at the rules, at my army list, at his bad rolling etc. I just ignore them and look for an opponent that plays for fun and fluff more than anything, although they tend to be few and far between.

AFnord
17-12-2010, 15:12
Out of all the "geek communities" that I'm in contact with (RPGs, wargames, board games, LARPs, TCGs & video games), it feels like the wargaming community is the ones that has the most "growing up" to do. While most wargamers are well adapted socially, there seem to be a higher percentage of people who simply are not able to handle encounters with the opposite gender very well. This might well have to do with the fact that there are fewer girls around than in the others (video games in particular has seen a huge influx of women during the last 10 years, and it is nearing gender equality, at least around here), but in order for women to feel welcome into our community, we really need to do something about those who simply are unable to handle contact with them.

DaSpaceAsians
17-12-2010, 15:22
There's quite a few stories I can share

First one was a 10 year old spoiled brat. I never played the kid but he was being arrogant about how awesome his Tau were and how he'd kick my ass. I recall how this came up but the little punk somehow figured out that my dad died and decided to make jokes. I remember my best friend who played Blood Angels asking him to stop it. Kid answers something along the line of settling this in the parking lot where he'd kick his ass using 7 years of boxing classes even though you can start only start at 7. I recall him also losing a painting comp against a pro painter and whining that giving candy to the employee should have bought him a win. Shortly afterwards, he never came back.

Second, was a redhead fat kid who seemed to REALLY hate IG. First off, he claims that Carapace Armour in the old guard was cheesy cause it wasn't fair that IG got armour saves against bolters. He also cthrew a fit in front of the ENTIRE STORE simply cause I asked him permission for a Leman Russ Vanquisher. He also had my little brother's best friend in a headlock because said kid kicked his ass by tank shocking his five last terminators.

Third was a guy that would have been at least 25 years old. First game I play at my new gaming store is against him. He pulls out the dual lash/oblit spam list against an IG foot horde. There's also a dent in the wall at my old gaming store caused by this guy's temper tantrum and a flying CSM Rhino and there's a bunch of black dice on the basement floor because of this guy.

Fourth was this rather immature guy. He had a habit of making sex jokes at the wrong moment and had bad manners. Once, he practically bumped into 3 women, pulled the chair under a kid who wanted to sit down at the painting table in less then 5 minutes. I also heard some unflattering rumors about him being a sexual felon (?).

Wow, no wonder why my gaming places closed with people like that.

As for women and wargaming, there used to be one who was a staffer at my old gaming place. Never had any problems (except with mr. pervert above) with any other player. I hope that if I ever get a girl that's interested in 40k, she doesn't cross ''THAT GUY''. I did recall having a dream where my crush got into 40k and me hitting a guy because he decided to hit on her

DCLXVI
17-12-2010, 15:22
In all my years of 40k I've never played at stores, just with a group of mates and this sounds like one of them...

In any case, he's the typical "That Guy" of the stores. When he's winning, he rubs it in your face, gloats about it, and typically acts like a total jack-***. If he's loosing, he pouts, whines about imbalance, and always tries to blame dice rolls (as if he just didn't get enough 6's)
Admittedly he's a decent tactician, but he's got such a bad memory that he constantly 'forgets' little things. For example..
+ you can move through your own squads (even when they're bunched up and there's not enough room to squeeze your base through
+ putting Harlequins in a Wave Serpent as 'I thought you could do that because the WS entry is at the bottom of their page'
+ you can possess models that came in from reserve on the same turn
+ also, making me measure practically everything, then making 'educated' guesses on his own turn.

You get the picture...

dala_karn
17-12-2010, 15:28
I had one with a friend though he was on the recieving end.

me and my friend had a 2v2 match with a regular and this guy new to the club, my word bearers, my friends Night lords again IG and orks. my friend was running a daemon prince with dread axe (no ++ saves and no armour for MC) and wings and along with my DP carved through all the orks. the new guy got anygry picked up my friend's prince which caused him the most grief and hurled it through a window, of course breaking the window and the model.

guy was literlly thrown out of the club with his army, and later arrested for criminal damages. my friend got most of his Daemon prince back (some bits were missing) and got a free daemon prince model for compensation from the store.

just one step from attacking the player really.

lachlin
17-12-2010, 15:37
Let's see: A guy chipmunked me at Atlanta Gamesday and tanked my sportsmanship score because I beat him.

I had a guy accuse me of cheating with weighted dice because I stole the initiative from him.

But the top of my list is a guy that wanted to fight me because I won our game. We did, and he lost a tooth.

incarna
17-12-2010, 15:47
The worst opponent I have ever played was a staler. In retrospect, I’m not entirely convinced (as much of my gaming group is) that he deliberately stalled and tend to lean on the side that he was just an incredibly slow player who was psychologically crippled by indecisiveness.

He would take a step back from the table after moving a unit and deliberate with himself… out loud… for 1 to 2 minutes (not exaggerating the time). He’d then move another unit and meticulously measure the movement of every member of the unit. Shooting phase was similar… though much of his deliberation had already been done he would still take up to a minute to evaluate the results of his shooting before committing to shooting with another unit.

Like I said, I’m not entirely sure it was deliberate, but it was extremely frustrating and not fun to play against. What was even more frustrating was that his armies tended to perform well early and peter out late while my armies tended to bide their time before striking one devastating blow. I faced this opponent in at least 4 different tournaments (by sheer bad luck) and lost or tied every game because we were never able to finish.

Strangely enough, years later I faced his son in my ‘Ard Boys round 2 and, even though I was 90% sure I would table him by the end of the game, I ended up losing because we were only able to get 2 rounds in because of his slow play. Again, I’m not sure if my opponents stalling was deliberate but – it may have been a learned behavior from his father – but it is still ZERO fun to play against.

Hypaspist
17-12-2010, 16:14
This thread makes me happy that my group of gamers are thoroughly nice people :)

(I've also been lucky enough to have decent games at Tournaments I've been to as well)

To all those people who I played at Carnage/Open War/SVA I Salute you!

(Seriously people, some of you have had some terrible experiences, especially eldargal... that's appalling behaviour...)

dragonet111
17-12-2010, 16:21
This thread makes me happy that my group of gamers are thoroughly nice people :)

(I've also been lucky enough to have decent games at Tournaments I've been to as well)

To all those people who I played at Carnage/Open War/SVA I Salute you!

(Seriously people, some of you have had some terrible experiences, especially eldargal... that's appalling behaviour...)

Yes sometime I wish for a club to have more games but at least with my friends there is no troubles.

My biggest grip being a friend who's strictly unable to remember the statlines of his troops :)

magicmonkey
17-12-2010, 19:00
i just hae really ruleslawyerie, hypercompetetative measure everything no mistakes no tolerance players when in a non-tournament session. when i play in a tourney i play to win, but outside that its just a game lighten up, who cares if you win.

He who is doom
17-12-2010, 19:48
The one time i had an opponet that i caught cheating just by logics sake. i set up my side he set up his. then he stole the int. promply moved forward and shot his 18" gun only to be stopped by me saying i set up 10 inchs in to the table how are you 18 inchs away. he promptly moved back and got shot to death on my turn.

WildWeasel
17-12-2010, 20:38
Oh, and add the Warmachine players at a certain University club which shall remain nameless who refuse to play anyone who still collects Games Workshop products. Yes chaps, I'm sure Privateer Press will be thrilled with the way you are spreading the word about their game for them. Put me right off Warmachine, which is completely irrational but there you go.

Oh, and I'm not generalising about Warmachine players, some of my brothers play it. I just can't get into it now.

I wonder if their heads would explode if they found out there's more than a few 40K and WFB players here at PP...

Shadowlance
17-12-2010, 20:46
I wonder if their heads would explode if they found out there's more than a few 40K and WFB players here at PP...

Ha! that would be great to see. :D

My worst experience would have to be a small round robin that I ran at my school a few years ago, last game we did a big apocalypse game, which was all well and fun until one of the guys we hadn't met before began to cheat, this all ended up in a shouting battle between one of my mates and this guy where he claimed he could assault my mates fire warrior squad after in the previous turn my mate had attempted to rapid fire him with pulse rifles and was out of range by about a good 3 or 4 inches. the guy had slowly been nudging his squad closer before he moved them and taking '6 inch' moves (more like bloody 8). (its also important to note that the dudes squad did NOT have fleet)

This has left me with a new condition where I will meticulously note if I was out of rapid fire range so that I dont have cheating little so in so's claiming they can assault me (unless they have fleet or jump packs or something like that, which then i'm screwed either way :D)

My worst experience anyway

Shadowlance

Grimtuff
17-12-2010, 21:27
Read this good sir: http://kirbysblog-ic.blogspot.com/2010/10/forumitis-i-only-play-for-fun.html

Best part about it is when he calls out "for fun" gamers freaking out over losing, because its so bloody true.

That guy should really have a read of my sig (as should DuskRaider, mainly the last bit), as there is a massive comprehension failiure in that article. No one plays to lose, however when one plays the game it should not be at the detriment of their opponent's enjoyment of the game.

bert n ernie
17-12-2010, 22:15
I'm enjoying some of these stories. Well, in the freudenschade kind way. However:

a redhead fat kid

Is this really appropriate? I mean, the kid was a jerk but why mention these things? It only makes me have more sympathy for him not less.

Way back when I was a kid, one of my fellows often ended up having wrestling matches instead of finishing his games. Every time it was because of someone making fun of him for being fat.

I'm also surprised that someone said that Wargamers are the worst group of the nerd gaming lot. That makes me sad. I'm wondering if this is a local thing. I haven't played someone under 18 since about July 2009, and I've only had one bad game in that time, and any time my wife has appeared (in the Bath gamers club) she always felt well treated. Much more so than when she goes to buy comics and has to deal with people there.

Grimtuff
17-12-2010, 22:53
I'm enjoying some of these stories. Well, in the freudenschade kind way.

Schadenfreude. ;) What you said means dissatisfaction, unhappiness, or pain as the result of someone else's good fortune (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwftd/message/1226), as opposed to taking pleasure from the misfortune of others....

DuskRaider
17-12-2010, 23:59
That guy should really have a read of my sig (as should DuskRaider, mainly the last bit), as there is a massive comprehension failiure in that article. No one plays to lose, however when one plays the game it should not be at the detriment of their opponent's enjoyment of the game.

Unfortunately, seeing as I'm the one always stuck playing against this guy (as I won't put up with his BS), it really has sucked the enjoyment out of showing up on 40K night. I'll probably start going back soon (my daughter's birth has made my free time less... free), but I'm either going to lay down ground rules with this guy or politely refuse. Funny thing is, I've talked to him while playing against other people and when he's not playing a game against you, he's actually a pretty decent guy. Just pulls a Dr. Jeckyll / Mr. Hyde thing when hitting the table top.

magnum12
18-12-2010, 00:17
I apologize on behalf of the men (although I do know that a fair amount are not total gits on the whole :P) in the hobby. at my local store there are a few girls, but we just treat them with respect like everyone else :)

on to bad experiences. we have started a "planet strike fridays" at my local GW and there is this one guy who whenever he gets the chance to be on the defensive, literally covers his side of the board with terrain, and leaves the other side blank lol. Its wierd because he is a SM player, and lately I've only been using my IG Vostroyans. He also usually runs with about 25% more points than we agree too ("forgets his list") usually has illegal unit set ups (5 man tactical squad with special weapon and heavy weapon) and the usual senanigans (sp?). Its not really that big of a deal but it gets frustrating just knowing that you are going up against a guy that tries to the point of being "unsportsman like" to win. I've tabled him every time, (sometimes I don't quite know how I manage it, good scatter rolls with my Russ) but yeah just annoying.

Somehow I get the feeling we're talking about the same guy though I can't be sure. On the very first week of Planet Strike Friday at my GW, there was a SM player who literately rigged the terrain to his advantage (of course giving the opponent nothing, exploiting defender sets up terrain), setting the table edge to be the long edge (being that was my first game of Planet Strike, I wasn't sure if that was allowed). I was his partner and I had to step in on multiple times trying to get him to stop (even the manager had to step in). After the battle, I realized this guy also brought in about 2000 points to a 1500 point battle. Felt sorry for my bro on the other team and pretty much had my game completely tarnished. And here I thought I had a brilliant idea that game when I utilized an "Iron Jaws" strategy after getting an idea from the reserve deployment rules.

A few weeks later on the store anniversery party, I played against this guy. Ended up in a 1000 points (me, mech guard) vs 1400 points of SM in KP. Little over 1000 points my ***. Some how managed a draw. Barring that, it was a fun day, having done better with painting than I ever had before and doing real well at the KT tourny.

Just seems to be the token "that guy" though. Have a cool group there. Really good Necron player, a Death Guard player with old style models, an expertly painted/played Vostroyan list that's my exact opposite in play style, Dark Eldar, a Grey Knight player, an occasional mech Black Legion player, and others.

DaSpaceAsians
18-12-2010, 00:28
I'm enjoying some of these stories. Well, in the freudenschade kind way. However:

Is this really appropriate? I mean, the kid was a jerk but why mention these things? It only makes me have more sympathy for him not less.

Sorry I'm bit blunt about description.

I did remember another 40k player with issues. He was a SoB player. Playing was him a pain since he was rather arrogant and constantly whined for junk such ''are you sure that your Guardsmen are in range'' and ''Are you sure your codex says you can do it. He also had a tendency of commenting about how someone's army was weak and not built right since it didn't use the latest WAAC list. In general, not really a friendly chap and rather anti-social.

Moosen
18-12-2010, 02:11
There has really only been 1 person I've had this kind of experience with, and it was almost 10 years ago. Came into the LGS every now and then, and there was always some problem with his army that was "never his fault."

I played one of my first games against him, my White Scars vs his Dark Eldar. He had asked my permission to field a special character and I allowed it (I don't remember who it was, but he had some sort of grenade thingy that was AP3), and he was kicking my butt halfway through the game when the owner came over to see how we were doing. The owner takes one look at the board and asks if that model is the special character. He says yes. Owner brings up the fact that you couldn't use him in games under 1500 points (or whatever it was) and we were only playing 1000 points (that was all I had at the time). In addition, he notices that the guy has close to 1500pts on the board.

The guy claims he mixed up his lists and didn't notice he was using the bigger one. In addition, he claims that since I gave permission for the special character, it didn't matter if he didn't have the required points.

Months later, we were running a small tourney in the store. 300 points or so per army. 2 rounds in people start getting suspicious of his list. He was running a single squad of Chosen of Tzeentch (the all-sorcerors kind from the 3.5 dex) and someone noticed that he was using Bolt of Change from all 9 guys, which could not possibly fit into the points limit.

He pulls out his army builder list, which has a single bolt of change. He apparently clicked once, and decided that covered everyone, instead of clicking 9 times. Once this was pointed out, he starts complaining that its not his fault. Its army builder's fault.

By this point everyone had had enough of his cheating, so the owner told him he was disqualified. He started flipping out and demanded his entry fee back or he would call the cops. The owner threw the $5 in his face and told him to get out and never come back.

Luckily, I have never had to deal with anything like that since.

AUN'SHI
18-12-2010, 02:53

You got slapped by some dude? then you broke his nose? wow Id never imagine people getting into a fight over WH. Let me say I understand frustration when the dice God are against you and I can see why people might get upset... But to get actually physical thats redicoulous I mean come on its a game... Your gonna fight over a board game???:rolleyes:

Well good for you for standing up to the guy:D Granted Ive never seen a girl play WH so I don't know why he was going off on you I think it would be a good change to play someone of the opposite sex see how they fair.

zantis
18-12-2010, 08:02
my worst experience with a bad opponent was in an 1850 casual tourney against the store annoyance/cheater/(insert any other archetypes here) playing a mech tau list. I was running a slightly cheesy blood angels list. Throughout the whole game, he would loudly complain about how stupidly overpowered blood angels are and how they have completely broken the game. When i say loudly, i mean like someone talking loudly into their cell phone while seeming to be completely oblivious to others around them (no he didnt have a hearing issue). I would also have to constantly remind him that vehicles do not move front to back and that he should stop touching my models. they werent painted well or anything, but its just rude. This might not seem like its all that bad, but this guy also has an arrogant attitude that is impossible to describe but is really irritating, and an oversized ego (which makes no sense because he loses all the time).Long story short, the game didnt go well for him. I won by quite a bit. After the tournament was over, the organizer pulled me aside and told me that he looked over the list the guy had given him and the list he'd given me and found that he'd changed some battlesuit flamers to fusion blasters along with adding a whole pathfinder squad with a couple upgrades. All of this added together made him about 200 points over. I dont think anyone confronted him about it because he scored last in the tourney anyway, but i get the sense that he felt it was ok, because "blood angels are stupidly overpowered". Still, the fact that i destroyed him even when he was 200 points over feels good.

LonelyPath
18-12-2010, 20:13
Possibly the funniest bad opponent I faced was only 2 weeks ago at my own house. He was boasting constantly about how he was tabling my GK and really not shutting up about it, even to the point where he'd talk endlessly about the thing during all of my turns. I think this distracted him so much from the game that he ended up making massive tactical blunders and my 9 remaining GK managed to swipe a victory from the jaws of defeat when the game went on to a 6th tun and he was out of position to do anything and I grabbed a few objectives. After the game he muttered about cheating, packed up and left in a huff, slamming the front door, no handshake, no thanks for the game, you get the idea.

After he had gone I realised his constant chatter had made me forget that I had a GKT squad in reserve and I'd forgotten to use them. Good thing I found that out AFTER he'd left, who knows what mood he would've been in then. I have since refused to play him or let him near my home and warned others about his lack of sportsmanship.

Possibly... well, no possibly about this one... Definitely the worst person I've ever had as a opponent whined and moaned each time he took a casualty, if I wiped out one of his squads he'd throw a tantrum and sometimes (well, often) throw his miniatures across the store. During my turns he'd constantly say "I need a drink", "I need the toilet", etc. He'd walk out the store and vanish sometimes for up to 20 minutes when there was a customer toilet on site and a shop across the road selling snacks and drinks. He did many other things... rolling more dice, rolling dice into other dice, rolling when my back was turned, moving 9 or 10" instead of 6", models magically appearing on the other end of the table and other things besides... and I took it in good humour.

Ultimately I did win (again) and he finished off by muttering vile insults at me under his breath. When I asked him to repeat what he said (I have partial hearing and was told what he'd said afterward) he screamed a mouthful of vile statements at my face, slammed his figure case up and down on my army and stormed out, leaving half of his models behind. Luckily he missed most of my models and just hit the tanks which were easy to repair, he did managed to demolish most of his that were still on the table. Oh, and this was not some little kid, it was a 50yr old man!

@ Eldargal - I know a few women that game and they have it pretty tough some some people as well. One of them and myself are quite flirty people and we do so shamelessly if people are hitting on her and when we do that all interest in her soon disappears (but me being a 6'4 metal head might discourage them a little, lol).

the creator
18-12-2010, 21:17
very simple for me with the types of gamers including "gamer girls".

An Astartes wouldn't care what you are if you had a Ruinous Mark enblazoned on your head, he would just shoot you down.

I dont care if you are black, white, yellow, female, male, gay, straight or other. As long as you don't cheat, as long as you're not a douche, game on!

jedideinos
18-12-2010, 21:40
Got to say - I'm lucky I haven't met some of these types. Worst one I've met was a guy rejoicing in the nickname of Camo. Played Dark Eldar in 40K, Necrons in Gothic and Orks in Warhammer. Just one example - playing Gothic, his Necrons were taking a hammering from my Marine fleet, he misjudged his movement, resulting his most powerful ship leaving the board, thereby removing all chance of a comeback. I suggested halting the game, and restarting. He chose to argue that he'd mismeasured his move, his turn, etc... His other annoying habit was accusing other people's armies of being OTT or cheesy, when they were actually more balanced than his.
To be fair, he was fairly a pleasant bloke, just his rather elastic interpretations of rules and strange definitions of army balance...

Grimtuff
18-12-2010, 22:47
Unfortunately, seeing as I'm the one always stuck playing against this guy (as I won't put up with his BS), it really has sucked the enjoyment out of showing up on 40K night. I'll probably start going back soon (my daughter's birth has made my free time less... free), but I'm either going to lay down ground rules with this guy or politely refuse. Funny thing is, I've talked to him while playing against other people and when he's not playing a game against you, he's actually a pretty decent guy. Just pulls a Dr. Jeckyll / Mr. Hyde thing when hitting the table top.

I was actually referring to your "could care less" (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5187613&postcount=12) bit on page 1, but go on....

Webwolf
18-12-2010, 22:47
but in order for women to feel welcome into our community, we really need to do something about those who simply are unable to handle contact with them.

Something like a chaperone?

Dark Aly
18-12-2010, 23:20
I also hold my hands up. I once quit a game before it was finnished as there was no chance i could come back. deprived my opponent the chance of a well deserved victory- I felt bad though and have never done it again.

samiens
18-12-2010, 23:54
Yeah, my fiancee plays and we go to doubles quite regularly- most people are fine but there are some wierd ones- its sad to tell the truth. And people who will only talk to me during our doubles games. Luckily, she is a really good player (and I'm not so shabby) and a good tourney record seems to engender some respect

madprophet
19-12-2010, 01:51

Had a git do that to my wife once. Of course, he backed off when she opened her sport jacket (a glock 17 has that effect on people) :D

madprophet
19-12-2010, 03:15
I also hold my hands up. I once quit a game before it was finnished as there was no chance i could come back. deprived my opponent the chance of a well deserved victory- I felt bad though and have never done it again.

I've had opponents surrender - it's not bad form, it's like resigning in chess.

DuskRaider
19-12-2010, 04:39
I was actually referring to your "could care less" (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5187613&postcount=12) bit on page 1, but go on....

I'm sorry, I couldn't get through that article... It really didn't hold my interest. What I was trying to say was, I'll allow my opponent to do pretty much whatever they want short of outright cheating, I just want to play.

Grand Warlord
19-12-2010, 05:25
I once had someone tell me my models were so badly painted they felt the need to take points from my sportsmanship score since they could take enough from painting. It would have been a bad opponent had I not agreed with him.

Dude, that's horrible... :(

tbh, I think I played that same guy at a GT once.

Admiral Koppenflak
19-12-2010, 08:28
My worst opponent, I hate to say, was actually a friend. A fair while ago (1999, throughout the Armageddon 3 campaign) when I was only just starting to be properly involved in the hobby.

I played Space Wolves back then and was fairly naive in regards to much of the rules and game mechanics, and in hindsight, my 'friend' was actually screwing me with his Imperial Guard.

For a start, he played an Armoured Company... Second, in a 2000 point game, he somehow managed to squeeze in around 12 Leman Russ tanks, plus supporting infantry, with full upgrades. It's not an understatement to say that he killed any interest I ever had in Power Armour when my poor old 'Wolves were plated up on pie platters every single game. I accepted that Guard were just the better army at the time (indeed, I took the approach of "if you cant beat them, join them.") and soon put together my own armoured company.

Looking back at the games we played, I was simply being screwed. A total absence of terrain over the mid-field, grossly massive Guard Armour lists in comparison to a handful of marines... it goes on.

Ive never been happier to be rid of an opponent.

George Dorn
19-12-2010, 12:51
On the whole 40k players (and I presume WH players) seem to have a more forgiving approach to the game than mainstream wargamers do, so the worst cheats I have encountered were at ancients tournaments.

However, what bugs me is those players who feel the need to tip the odds in their favour (in some cases its only misplaced enthusiasm, for sure) by continual borderline behaviour. Like declaring only their bad rolls cogged, quickly moving squads to get a little more distance out of them, checking line of sight with the tape upturned so as to check range &ct.

If it's in a competition then I'll politely point this out to them; one should be able to expect better behaviour from them in that sort of environment. When we've gone as a club team, it's intersting to note that in some cases, players have later made the same 'mistake' with other opponents, depsite their extravagant apologies when it was pointed out the first time. It's good to find a reason to feel a little bit smug about losing after the event.

Bestaltan
19-12-2010, 13:22
The standard I use for my "bad player" was a guy I played in a fantasy tournament (back in 6th edition) a number of years ago. I got to break this guy down:

1. First, he ran an illegal list. I knew something was up when he couldn't produce the list, but instead insisted that his only copy he had turned into the TO. My eyebrows started going up as his characters began plopping out more and more magic items/traits. When I went back and looked at my copy of the codex his lord had something like 300 points of items/traits, and each hero had between 100-150.

2. His army "theme" was pitiful. He was running High Elves that he insisted were just "misunderstood" Dark Elves that had seen the error of their ways.

3. The guy had a perfect, perfect army for shutting down magic. Nevertheless, he insisted for the ENTIRE game to complain about how cheesy and OP my slann mage-priest was. The same slann that never got a single spell off the entire game because he had him shut down.

4. The guy was an arrogant cuss with a VERY short temper. I had one piece of success the entire game (my kroxigors actually made it to his bolt throwers and destroyed them). So of course, when that happened, he whined the rest of the game about how OP lizardmen were.

5. The topper......I had no choice but to tank him on sportsmanship. The guy was a total jerk, and I wrote on the score card "Check his list. I believe it was illegal." As I was leaving the store, the guy was demanding that he win the tournament because his list had gone 3-0. The judge couldn't get a word in edgewise that he had scored 0 points in sportsmanship AND was running an illegal list.

So yea, since that dude, nobody had ever come close.

Awilla the Hun
19-12-2010, 17:39
Why does this have so many more responses than my "nice opponent" thread?

Anyway, a vague summary of player types (slightly exaggerated from my experience-but only slightly) can be found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4924859/1/On_bWarhammer_b

I often fear that I come off like this sometimes, because I have a somewhat... caustic (is that the word?) sense of humour, which involves me unloading good natured (well, I regard them as that way) insults on more or less everyone, whilst simultaneously trashing my own army (such as my painting skills, or... well, more or less everything about the Red Guards.) The result is that my mouth flaps open and occasionally has unpleasant stuff coming out. The worst that I remember was when I asked a South African whether his army had any black troops (he was playing as the 1st Johannesburg Regiment.) His response was to point out that it did (it was mostly Chaos black sprayed, but there were a few black faces), and then to ask whether the ESR had any black troops. It didn't, so we moved on, and had a pretty good game after that. Still, I like to think that I rarely get that out of hand. Certainly, the one time I ever had a female opponent, we got on just fine. (I was about fourteen back then, still playing Lord of the Rings elves against her Uruk-Hai, or something like that. There are slightly more female gamers now that I'm playing at university. That is to say, there is at least one female gamer at university.) Still, if my Red Guards ever encounter someone from a former Eastern Bloc country, or with far left wing views, this could become a far greater problem.

Similarly, I have sometimes been... slightly creative with the rules, mostly because my knowledge of things such as, say, transports, the magic phase, and exactly how many inches it takes for troops to wheel, isn't perfect, and I inevitably tend towards my advantage. Oh, and I sometimes misestimate my points. (Honest mistake, and it doesn't happen as often as it used to... but it's still not a good practice, especially when I have grotesquely more firepower than the opponent.)

My two worst opponents, though... well, I usually encounter nice ones. (Or, at least, ones who don't usually mind about my sense of humour.) One was a kid who simply refused to play the game. He used a printed codex, painted awfully, and simply bunkered his 500 point Space Marine army in a building all game. He never attacked the objective. The result was that dice karma had some of his troops getting routed by a Demolisher round or several. (He was later found trying to remove terrain from his firing line against the South African's Imperial Guard. I forced him to keep it in place.) The other is a guy who brought a bunch of Tzeentchi Daemons to an 800 point game, obtained an ungodly amount of power dice, vapourised most of my Red Guards without a scratch on him, and insisted that he was being kind for not taking Flamers all the while. He has an acolyte also, with a similarly ridiculous Tzeentchi daemon army. Both have prejudiced me against the Tzeentchian Daemons. He painted pretty poorly, and had a habit of getting his opponents upset at him.