PDA

View Full Version : Can of Salt Rumor... Salamanders

Gaunai
17-12-2010, 09:48
Okay, just tossing out what I've been hearing. I'm not sure if it's true, I wish it were, but somehow I doubt it. Is that Matt Ward has recently started work on a Salamanders codex.
I know I'm more of a lurker then a poster, and this is probably just hogwash, but I felt this might should be posted up.

scar face
17-12-2010, 09:52
You doubt it, I doubt it, lots of people probably doubt it as well....

Doesn't sound very likely probably because they're not the most unique and characterful marines. Could be a very boring codex if there was one...

scar

wickedvoodoo
17-12-2010, 09:59
I doubt this will happen and I also hope it doesn't happen.

There just isn't the need. The developers could be using that time to write something much more interesting.

Castigator
17-12-2010, 10:02
It's probably just Mat Ward brainstorming for the next edition Space Marine Codex to be released 2012/2013 or so with certainly a page and one or two characters for the Salamanders ;)

scar face
17-12-2010, 10:06
It would anger me hugely is ANOTHER space marine 'dex was released before the likes of SoB and Necrons.

scar

Castigator
17-12-2010, 10:12
It would anger me hugely is ANOTHER space marine 'dex was released before the likes of SoB and Necrons.

scar

Unlikely.

Even assuming that there's something to this rumor (which I doubt), Mat Ward starting on something new would most likely mean he'd be more or less finished with the book for Necrons.

scar face
17-12-2010, 10:14
That's if he even starting writing it... :P

scar

Irbian
17-12-2010, 11:06
It's probably just Mat Ward brainstorming for the next edition Space Marine Codex to be released 2012/2013 or so with certainly a page and one or two characters for the Salamanders ;)

^This. There´s no way we have another marine codex when we dont have upgraded the other ones to 5th. And if they do, I think that penny arcade has the right words for my hate :P http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10/

Mr_Foulscumm
17-12-2010, 11:09
I do realize that GW love their space marines (and with good reasons too)... but Codex Salamander will never happen.

edit: also the combination of Matt Ward and Codex/Army Book scares the living daylight out of me. I would much rather have a rumour that has Matt Ward and "No longer working for GW" in it.

Lord Damocles
17-12-2010, 11:13
Codex Salamander will never happen.
I bet that's what they said in 3rd ed.... :shifty:

BaloOrk
17-12-2010, 11:21
Just stuck a salty syringe into my main artery.

I dont belive it, however...... i wouldnt be surprised.

Godzooky
17-12-2010, 11:27
I think it's a safe assumption that Codex: Necrons will come first, anyway. That way Mat Ward will have a wider choice of C'tans for his next marine hero to effortlessly curb stomp.

AlexHolker
17-12-2010, 12:21
The Salamanders are my favourite space marine chapter, so I'd rather Mat Ward didn't write it. One of the things I like about them is that they are more humble and human than most space marines, and given the treatment he gave the Ultramarines I get the feeling he'd bugger it up. I'd like the opportunity to loot any new flame and melta heavy vehicles for SoB use, but can't see myself choosing to buy the codex.

brotherhostower
17-12-2010, 12:44
You know the codex would have a moment when, let's say, the Salamanders were fighting oh... Word Bearers, and then the Tyranids showed up to devour the planet, and so the Salamanders and Word Bearers banded together and fought off the Tyranid invasion! Then, completely against all reason, would hug each other, bake cakes, throw a party, and everyone would go home... this is Matt Ward's every SM codex.

I'll take the grain of salt, y'never know with GW and their desire to grab a buck, maybe capitalize on Nick Kyme's Sallies series with BL.

Zweischneid
17-12-2010, 12:50
You know the codex would have a moment when, let's say, the Salamanders were fighting oh... Word Bearers, and then the Tyranids showed up to devour the planet, and so the Salamanders and Word Bearers banded together and fought off the Tyranid invasion!

Which would be a good thing.

Seeing that doubles-tournaments are fairly popular, GW in general should get their act together and follow Ward's lead and comprehensively change their stuffy old fluff to accomodate these sort of set-ups.

malika
17-12-2010, 13:03
A Salamders Fire Master armed with a Fire Bolter with Hellfire Shells, supported by a retinue of Fire Terminators who are armed with Flame Hammers and Heavy Flamers. And then of course is the special character riding on a giant Salamander who spits fire...

Gorak
17-12-2010, 13:03
You know the codex would have a moment when, let's say, the Salamanders were fighting oh... Word Bearers, and then the Tyranids showed up to devour the planet, and so the Salamanders and Word Bearers banded together and fought off the Tyranid invasion! Then, completely against all reason, would hug each other, bake cakes, throw a party, and everyone would go home... this is Matt Ward's every SM codex.

I'll take the grain of salt, y'never know with GW and their desire to grab a buck, maybe capitalize on Nick Kyme's Sallies series with BL.

first off funny, second off Where in hell does everyone get the idea that all SM are darkangels who refuse to fight along side anything other than humans! I know if T1000 was hey mr superhuman lets band together to kill these aliens I wouold be like hey sure sounds better than total destruction. Please people read up on your fluff before you go screa,ing bloody murder, I've been playing/reading 40k since 2nd ed and the DARK ANGELS are the only super xenophobs out there.

Shamana
17-12-2010, 13:09
Xenophobes, maybe not. IIRC both the SW and BA codices note instancs of almost successful cooperation.

Chaos renegades, mind you, might be slightly different matter. They are the antithesis of loyalist marines, traitors of the worst sort. Considering that SMs tend to be very big on loyalty to chapter and Emperor, this should be a much worse sin than even traficking with daemons and wanton devastation.

Gorak
17-12-2010, 13:15
ah eys perhaps I should explain further, I take the worldbearers as a joke but the rage I've seen directed at mr.ward for BA working with necrons to destroy some nids boggles my mind. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.(for now :) )

scar face
17-12-2010, 13:17
BUT ITS FRIKKING NECRONS!- THEIR FLUFF IS THEY DONT ALLY WITH ANY1

scar

Zweischneid
17-12-2010, 13:23

scar

You're wrong.

Recent 5th edition fluff (e.g. the Blood Angels Codex) clearly shows that they do.

And many Lords, not to speak of the Deceiver himself, have quite a reputation for deceit and and double-crossings. That'd be a hard reputation to gain if you shoot everything at first sight anyways.

magath
17-12-2010, 13:36
You're wrong.

Recent 5th edition fluff (e.g. the Blood Angels Codex) clearly shows that they do.
I think you might be missing the point just a tad. This is probably the bit of fluff scar face has a problem with, as in it doesnt fit with any of the established background. The "Necron and Blood Angel Hello Kitty Happy Party +1" Doesn't really fit with the established fluff in any way, shape or form. Necrons are souless killing machines, not the league of justice.

On topic, I dont see a slappymanders codex coming any time soon, simply because of the inclusion of Charlton Heston (Its what I call him anyway) and LR redeemers in the marine codex. GW would, I assume, rather work on a black templar codex simply because a lot of the sprues are already cut and a lot of the models are out there already, so its a quick money spinner, especially with the VAT increase hitting in January.

Zweischneid
17-12-2010, 13:39
I think you might be missing the point just a tad. This is probably the bit of fluff scar face has a problem with, as in it doesnt fit with any of the established background. The "Necron and Blood Angel Hello Kitty Happy Party +1" Doesn't really fit with the established fluff in any way, shape or form. Necrons are souless killing machines, not the league of justice.

I perfectly get that it is this precise bit that offends. But that is the pivotal part. GW changed the fluff. In my humble opinion for the better. In other peoples mind perhaps for the worse. But the still changed it and people ought to get on with it.

Oh, and Blood Angels are soulless killing machines too :D

Erazmus_M_Wattle
17-12-2010, 14:28
I heard about a year ago that they had done a Salamander sprue and it came from a pretty good source. I don't think it logically follows from that that we'll be seeing a codex.

That the OP has heard rumours that Matt Ward is writing one syncs with this. I suppose they could be but like others I really hope they are not going down that route. I'd rather they focused there efforts into Chaos Legion codexes like they stated they would before and if they ever did projects like this. We don't need Codexes for Any more Space Marine Chapters. I'd much prefer some new races actually.

Zweischneid
17-12-2010, 14:41
I heard about a year ago that they had done a Salamander sprue and it came from a pretty good source. I don't think it logically follows from that that we'll be seeing a codex.

Of course they might be doing something different: Say perhaps a Ymgarl Campaign Pack perhaps with Salamander sprues, and maybe a new Character or some such, as well as the supposedly-in-the-making Ymgarl Genestealers and perhaps a few other second-wave Nids. Add a campaign book, a couple of missions with Salamanders seeking reclusive Stealers, perhaps even a Stealer-Cult-List. Maybe a piece of terrain or some other bling...

But nahh... I guess nobody would ever really buy stuff like that :shifty:

crandall87
17-12-2010, 14:55
If a SM dex was in the pipeline it would have to be Dark Angels or Black Templars before we saw the likes of the Salamanders.

Night Bearer
17-12-2010, 15:00
What if it's not a full codex but an armylist?

IE, a redo or sequel to Codex: Armageddon? :shifty:

GreySeerZ
17-12-2010, 15:15
A Salamders Fire Master armed with a Fire Bolter with Hellfire Shells, supported by a retinue of Fire Terminators who are armed with Flame Hammers and Heavy Flamers. And then of course is the special character riding on a giant Salamander who spits fire...

Is it bad that I read this and got excited?...

npow34
17-12-2010, 15:32
I seriously doubt we will see this codex. The Space Mainre codex is ment to capture all those marines who accepted the teachings of the Codex Astartes. SW, BA, BT, GK are all unique in their own aspect. Sallys are straight codex...vanilla marines. It would be like them doing an Imperial Fist codex.

witchunter180
17-12-2010, 15:40
Is it bad that I read this and got excited?...

Nope, it sounded good at least :D
I'd rather see a Raven Guard 'dex before a salamanders, but too much of it would resemble the BA dex, as I feel they should have similar rules (at least, with Shrike being taken, that Assault Marines be troops). But thats just me wishing, and as with the salamanders, there wouldn't be enough added rules that they couldn't just include with the next vanilla SM codex. And like a lot of others, a DA or Templar codex should be the next SM codex.

loveless
17-12-2010, 15:48
Salamander conversion kit? Maybe.

Salamander Codex? Hell no.

Captain Ventris
17-12-2010, 16:30

scar

+1 to this, necrons do not have the capacity to work with anyone. Even at the end of Xenology, *Spoiler* When the necron Lord shows he has masterminded the end of the research facility from the begining...The necrons did not work with anyone to achieve it...

I did not know there was such fluff involved in the BA Codex, however whomever wrote it should be ashamed of themselves as a Fluff writer and should go sit in the corner for a week and think about what they wrote and the utter ridiculousness of it

On Topic, My question is why would they bother making a Salamander's codex when they put a special character in the Spacemarines codex that lets you run a "salamanders" list? I'd much rather they did a white scars codex (as that is the army I'm currently working on)

doghouse
17-12-2010, 16:38
Not sure about this rumour but I could see it happening to be honest. The real question would be what they could bring to the codex to make it different from codex ultramarines.

Captain Idaho
17-12-2010, 16:56
Fluff evolves, get over it guys!

I would imagine it is rather a case of mistaken identity. Ward could quite possibly be working on rules for Salamanders, that might go hand in hand with a host of other rules for a Codex Chapter's of Legend style Codex. Given that GW originally wanted the Space Marines Codex to be Ultramarines, it's quite possible that Ultramarines will get the standard Codex for Space Marines, and any none Ultras you want to take are count as in a similar way to Flesh Tearers etc in the new Blood Angels Codex.

It fits, but is little more than speculation until we get something a little more substantial. Hell, are we expecting a new Space Marine Codex any time soon?

Zweischneid
17-12-2010, 17:01
Hell, are we expecting a new Space Marine Codex any time soon?

Are we ever not expecting one soon?

Blood Angels are kinda starting to show their age :p

Captain Idaho
17-12-2010, 17:14
Are we ever not expecting one soon?

Blood Angels are kinda starting to show their age :p

Good point! :)

Quite possible we will get a new Codex with Astartes at least by 2012 as that drives sales...

Da'Mass
17-12-2010, 17:25
Salamanders are hardly vanilla codex.
6 companies each 120 strong.
7th company of 60 scouts.

Better access to supertech relics.
Stoic, foot slogging, self reliant types
And an elite cadre of religious nuts.
Plus everything has serpent heads, hammers and flame iconography.

There's just limited dragon scale (beyond corsairs) for the Eavy Metal crew to use and so models shown in publications look dull.

Whether they warrant a seperate codex, I don't know(I'm Salamanders so would love it but can't justify it), but they at least deserve their own shoulder pads.

Personally, I think the first founding chapters that have had nothing special(WS, RG, IH & Sallies) should get some kind of love like the old school Angels of Death Codex, but we can all dream.

aka_mythos
17-12-2010, 17:31
A Salamders Fire Master armed with a Fire Bolter with Hellfire Shells, supported by a retinue of Fire Terminators who are armed with Flame Hammers and Heavy Flamers. And then of course is the special character riding on a giant Salamander who spits fire...You forgot all the Inferno weapons...

In general I think Salamanders could be an interesting chapter to expand on, but there are probably more worthwhile groups to give an entire codex to... Chaos marines sure could use as much attention.

Lars Porsenna
17-12-2010, 17:37
Subscribed!

So in terms of a codex, doubtful but hopeful. There's lots of little things they could do to make it distinct from other lists/SM Codicies.

Re: Vulkan based "Salamander" lists. IMHO the use of a special character that "unlocks" Chapter appropriate special abilities sucks, big time, particularly if you're running a campaign or story oriented games (So Vulkan leads the Salamanders again in this campaign, rather than searching for the Primarch's relics...). This was the worst feature of the current codex, and besides the new toys and cheaper characters, I much prefer the old (4e) SM codex with its doctrines...

Damon.

Azzy
17-12-2010, 18:31
All the salt in the salt seas is not enough... I don't foresee another loyalist marine codex being likely or a good idea. If we really have to have another marine codex (beyond updating the ones we have), it should be splitting Chaos Marines into a legions codex and a renegade chapters codex.

Polaria
17-12-2010, 18:50

scar

Except that Matt is writing the new Necron Codex... Wanna guess if their fluff still is what you say after he's touched them?

scar face
17-12-2010, 18:53
I didn't say future fluff.

scar

Polaria
17-12-2010, 19:10
Anyway, if there ever was a marine codex that should not have been written in the first place it is Black Templars. I mean really. If GW wants the 40K to be about different-colored-marines and nothing else then they should at least have the decency to do first founding chapters first. I mean why the hell are they writing a codex about a random second founding chapter with no known descendants or history worth noting when at the same time famous first founding chapters with several descendant chapters like Raven Guards, Salamanders, Imperial Fists and White Scars are thrown into Ultramarine Codex with the general idea of "these guys are like ultrasmurfs but less awesome"

Voss
17-12-2010, 19:19
All the salt in the salt seas is not enough... I don't foresee another loyalist marine codex being likely or a good idea.

I agree. If anything, they need to start collapsing existing outliersinto a single book. (which can then be more customizable and interesting) They can do chapter specific sprues like the death company or wolf sprues without doing a codex- get into the wave releases even more. It makes a lot more sense than yet another iteration of the same old thing.

Wolf Scout Ewan
17-12-2010, 20:22
If they do they should have dual heavy flamer in a 10 man squad or dual flamers in upto 9 men. Hand flamers in assault squads

Kurgash
17-12-2010, 20:58
+1 to this, necrons do not have the capacity to work with anyone. Even at the end of Xenology, *Spoiler* When the necron Lord shows he has masterminded the end of the research facility from the begining...The necrons did not work with anyone to achieve it...

I did not know there was such fluff involved in the BA Codex, however whomever wrote it should be ashamed of themselves as a Fluff writer and should go sit in the corner for a week and think about what they wrote and the utter ridiculousness of it

I hope by all that is holy the new Necron dex features that little tidbit and elaborates it, where the Lord let's Dante escape but slaughters the rest of his marines as a warning not to trespass on his works again. THEN AND ONLY THEN, would I forgive that fluff atrocity.

witchunter180
17-12-2010, 20:58
You forgot all the Inferno weapons...

In general I think Salamanders could be an interesting chapter to expand on, but there are probably more worthwhile groups to give an entire codex to... Chaos marines sure could use as much attention.

I was suprised that Chaos SM's only had the one codex when I started playing 40k. Afterall, we have no less than five SM codexes, so you'd think they could come up with a codex for each chaos aspect, plus chaos undivided, but maybe they figured CSM plus daemons was enough...

salamandercaptain
17-12-2010, 21:22

This is so wrong I laughed, but given though the more recent Marine 'dexes it's probably true :-(

I'd actually like a Salamander dex to follow Jervis' original DA idea of armies having strengths but more importantly weaknesses that make them unique.
Sadly the marketing department now appears to direct games development so I expect hidious amounts of Cheeze if this is remotely true.
Also IF it is true £5 says Salamander cloak/mantle adds either Enternal warrior or FNP to the model carrying it.

Yours disgruntaldly

A Salamander player since 1991

MajorWesJanson
17-12-2010, 21:57
I doubt it, as they are covered by Codex: SM at the moment. They still have Black Templars and Dark Angels to update. Salamanders are seemingly popular now, granted, but I doubt that they will be getting a book any time soon.

What would be more plausable would be a model wave, perhaps a Salamander captain in Collectors, bringing back Xavier to buy, and maybe an upgrade box like the Black Templars. Helps add interest, while they don't have to bother with a full book. Plus an upgrade box would boost sales of other kits, especially if it had things like Fire Drake parts for terminators, combi-meltas/flamers, multi-meltas, Thunder hammers, and heavy flamers. Then shoulder pads, doors for a rhino and land raider, salamander cloaks, ect. If they really wanted to boost interest, they could do a battleforce even, with a tac squad, Dev squad, Terminator squad, and Rhino, with a set of upgrade sprues.

Bloodspeaker
17-12-2010, 22:23
OMG!!!! if they do something like that an army of disgruntled customers will storm their offices and slaughter them all so bye bye GW so i hope they won't.

On a more serious note if they develop a salamanders codex before updating chaos or producing an adeptus mechanicus codex they deserve to go bankrupt.

Gorak
17-12-2010, 22:39
All 3 pages of it? Consider that they are now giving necronlords personality aswell as the fact this may have been a lord who worships the deciver.....

Brother Weasel
17-12-2010, 22:59
OMG!!!! if they do something like that an army of disgruntled customers will storm their offices and slaughter them all so bye bye GW so i hope they won't.

On a more serious note if they develop a salamanders codex before updating chaos or producing an adeptus mechanicus codex they deserve to go bankrupt.

i love how a simple rumor degrades to gw going bankrupt or wholesale slaughter of the company, based on a rumor that even the rumormonger says to take with a huge can of salt... yet somehow the topic degrades to hating matt ward, hating the names they use, hating any change in fluff ect... you guys crack me up.

t-tauri
17-12-2010, 23:27
Please keep on topic or warnings will be issued.

Kurgash
17-12-2010, 23:35
i love how a simple rumor degrades to gw going bankrupt or wholesale slaughter of the company, based on a rumor that even the rumormonger says to take with a huge can of salt... yet somehow the topic degrades to hating matt ward, hating the names they use, hating any change in fluff ect... you guys crack me up.

Internet rage is a powerful thing.

TheLaughingGod
18-12-2010, 00:58

scar

Now their fluff is that they have respect algorithems.

As far as the OP goes.

I don't believe it for a minute.

Salamanders already exist in a current codex. I cannot see any reason to believe they will get their own.

Bloodspeaker
18-12-2010, 01:43

Well i was trying to be humorous, furthermore it is, a big thing if it happens and at the state the game is in it is by far a very stupid move that makes no sense and no one dares mention the "marines sell better excuse" because there are 6 marine codices without counting CSM they should be enough or the game will get boring really quick.

Anyone can see that i belive.

self biased
18-12-2010, 01:54
^This. There´s no way we have another marine codex when we dont have upgraded the other ones to 5th. And if they do, I think that penny arcade has the right words for my hate :P http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10/

what really makes that comic for me is the nod to the Ren and Stimpy show, with that glorious John K. finger in the last panel.

as to whether or not we'll get a salamanders codex, i'd say it's likely because it's a dumb idea.

Gaunai
18-12-2010, 02:24
First off, Salamanders are not a codex chapter. They took ideas from the book laid down my Guillemon they liked, but said **** it to signing. Next, if he was just not "starting" to write the codex, wouldn't that mean the timeframe for "release" would not be for a year at least? I doubt they will get the love of a dedicated codex though.

What I would like to see is codex supplements. Small books/pdfs that have alternate rules/equipment guides for what is already in the main book. Alas... I doubt that will happen.

Bloodspeaker
18-12-2010, 03:14
Yeah that would be an awesome idea.

Or maybe they could shift forgeworld's focus and resources towards making codices like salamanders or whatever else they might want and of course make them tournament legal.

That would also be as awesome as it is unlikely. :(

Inquisitor Gabriel Ashe
18-12-2010, 03:15
projects like this. We don't need Codexes for Any more Space Marine Chapters. I'd much prefer some new races actually.

PandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandas PandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandas PandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandasPandas

Spectral Dragon
18-12-2010, 04:54
I didn't hear anything about a codex, however I did hear they are going to release Salamanders-related bits (weapons, shoulderguards, ect) much like the templars upgrade pack.

Emeraldw
18-12-2010, 04:57
I didn't hear anything about a codex, however I did hear they are going to release Salamanders-related bits (weapons, shoulderguards, ect) much like the templars upgrade pack.

That would be pretty sweet by itself. They really don't need a codex. A Special character like Vulcan is perfect.

shabbadoo
18-12-2010, 05:19
GW can always do more miniature bits(FW certainly didn't cover things to the extent people want), and having more chapter-specific bits out would surly be a good thing.

Voss
18-12-2010, 05:37
Hey now, this thread has been surly enough.

MajorWesJanson
18-12-2010, 05:57

That I can see, maybe alongside the mentioned Chaplain/Librarian kit and a few other bits and bobs?

BrotherCaptainS
18-12-2010, 06:04
if another marine dex was in the shoot it would have to be iron hands... they are way different than any marine chapter with heavy ties to the ad mech.

Bloodspeaker
18-12-2010, 06:16
if another marine dex was in the shoot it would have to be iron hands... they are way different than any marine chapter with heavy ties to the ad mech.

Yeah i second that my favorite marine chapter by far and the only one besides SW and BT that really is different enough to justify a seperate codex.

AlexHolker
18-12-2010, 06:34
Better access to supertech relics.
*cough*Sisters of Battle w/Ecclesiarchy relics*cough*

Stoic, foot slogging, self reliant types
*cough*Sisters of Battle*cough*

And an elite cadre of religious nuts.
*cough*Sisters of Battle*cough*

philbrad2
18-12-2010, 07:38
No real news or rumour in here. Off to 40K GENERAL for you ...

PhilB
:chrome:
+ =I= + WarSeer Moderation Team + =I= +
WarSeer Posting Guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_posting_guidelines)
The WarSeer FAQ (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php)
The WarSeer Moderation/Posting/Forum guidelines (http://www.warseer.com/forums/faq.php?faq=the_forums#faq_rules)

ehlijen
18-12-2010, 08:59
Why would GW make a Salamander codex when Codex Space marines just provided everyone's favourite Salamander SC?

If there's yet another chapter coming (I hope not), there's still Black templars, a possible dark Angel redo and if need be the Iron Hands (who haven't had a SC to this day as far as I'm aware and thus aren't explicitly included in codex Space Marines).

yabbadabba
18-12-2010, 09:09
There will be another marine codex round the corner at some point, its simple business. A Marine release makes more money for GW than any other release outside of a box game one. At some point GW will want a sales boost and do a Marine codex - maybe it will be a combo one like this one with IH, DA, BT etc, but whatever the format and focus, it will happen.

Sparowl
18-12-2010, 09:15
Sallys are straight codex...vanilla marines. It would be like them doing an Imperial Fist codex.

What would be wrong with an IF codex?

Personally, I think the first founding chapters that have had nothing special(WS, RG, IH & Sallies) should get some kind of love like the old school Angels of Death Codex, but we can all dream.

You forgot Imperial Fists.

I mean why the hell are they writing a codex about a random second founding chapter with no known descendants or history worth noting when at the same time famous first founding chapters with several descendant chapters like Raven Guards, Salamanders, Imperial Fists and White Scars are thrown into Ultramarine Codex with the general idea of "these guys are like ultrasmurfs but less awesome"

I agree. I'd restart my Imperial Fists if we got more love then "second only to the ultramarines". Horse****.

genestealer_baldric
18-12-2010, 09:52
i gonna also say ney. but i persoanlly think no second founding chapters should get codexs over 1st founding i just couldnt see codex shinny thunderhammers. i could possibly see iron hands, or even whitescars but not salamanders sorry

Zweischneid
18-12-2010, 10:08
i gonna also say ney. but i persoanlly think no second founding chapters should get codexs over 1st founding i just couldnt see codex shinny thunderhammers. i could possibly see iron hands, or even whitescars but not salamanders sorry

First, Salamanders are an original legion.

Second, I think you're mistaking in-game fluff for a good rationale of making a codex. There's many good or viable background stories that could make a chapter. They could have been one of the first. They could be the very latest. They could have origins shrouded in mystery. They could have been founded for a special purpose. Etc.., etc.., etc.. .

Indeed, excluding good ideas on the mechanistic notion that we only expand on chapter-names people came up with 25 years ago but not any other seems to be a recipie just made to stifle creativity and innovation (as far as these even apply in making yet another Space Marine book).

Mage
18-12-2010, 12:38
A Salamanders codex is not likely in my opinion. I am not saying it is a bad idea, but I can understand how other players, particularly those who have had expansion codex books in the past (Eldar with Craftworld eldar), those who need an update, and those who had customisability in the past (Guard and Chaos Marines.

Someone mentioned earlier the idea for a campagin as a second release with genestealers and stuff. I thought that was a good idea. Like the old campaign sets they did ages back in second edition.

That said though, I don't know why lately GW have clamped down on alternate list and campaign codexes. Codex Armageddon or a multi purpose marine codex that was encouraged would be good. I personally want Iron Hands to get a special character to make the army more flavourful. They are a first founding chapter after all.

Conversely, I think new chapters should get a spot in the limelight. I miss being able to customise chapters like in the codex space marines before this one.

I remember fondly also the old white dwarf article on cursed founding chapters.

Why take the customisability out of the game? Just because a model might not get made of at all or for years, it provides hobbyists the opportunity to be unique. Of course you could do this without an army list, part of the fun is being able to customise your army in game terms also.

ChaosTicket
18-12-2010, 14:52
The Salamanders are probably the least known first founding chapter. Their army in Armageddon Codex was mainly a Vanilla codex with everyone -1 Initiative, and all fast attack beings 0-1, in exchange they could get multi meltas before any other astartes.

I like the idea of the Salamanders, as they are a Loyalist version of the Death Guard(Endurance Above All). They have special forges and craftsmen, more so than regular chapters, and have a long history.

Their Primarch is 100% MIA, unlike the others who are mostly Daemon Princes, or have Return Prophecies, Vulkan is just gone.

If they receive anything then it should be something like different vehicle versions. the Redeemer almost screams Salamanders. I dont want them to lose fast attacks, as if anything they need them to act as the "Hammer" to the heavy Infantry's "Anvil".

Nazguire
18-12-2010, 14:56
The Salamanders are probably the least known first founding chapter. Their army in Armageddon Codex was mainly a Vanilla codex with everyone -1 Initiative, and all fast attack beings 0-1, in exchange they could get multi meltas before any other astartes.

I like the idea of the Salamanders, as they are a Loyalist version of the Death Guard(Endurance Above All). They have special forges and craftsmen, more so than regular chapters, and have a long history.

Their Primarch is 100% MIA, unlike the others who are mostly Daemon Princes, or have Return Prophecies, Vulkan is just gone.

If they receive anything then it should be something like different vehicle versions. the Redeemer almost screams Salamanders. I dont want them to lose fast attacks, as if anything they need them to act as the "Hammer" to the heavy Infantry's "Anvil".

They have a return prophecy: The Trials of Fire or Tome of Fire or something like that. Once all the treasures are found Vulkan will return to lead the Salamanders on a final crusade to destroy Chaos.

Castigator
18-12-2010, 15:05
Yah.. need to find the nine Artefacts of Vulkan (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Artefacts_of_Vulkan).

And they even have a guy tasked with the special mission of finding them. They call him the "Forgefather", and it's .. as everyone knows .. currently the job of everyones favorite Codex: Space Marine Special Character He'Stan.

ChaosTicket
18-12-2010, 15:06
They added that newer, with the Vulkan He'Stian guy, I missed that, and its one of the most unusual as their Lord and Master will return when they find with Royal Pants(actually he armor, weapons, and personal and powerful equipment).

They REALLY need to put the Salamanders in books, same with White Scars, Raven Guard, and Iron hands.

yabbadabba
18-12-2010, 15:16
Why take the customisability out of the game? Do you want the nice and PC version or the harsh, but truer version :)?

AlphariusOmegon20
18-12-2010, 16:15
You doubt it, I doubt it, lots of people probably doubt it as well....

Doesn't sound very likely probably because they're not the most unique and characterful marines. Could be a very boring codex if there was one...

scar

Then I say you've never actually read any of their history or imagined any of their true capabilities.

There's a reason why Sallies are probably the most common army out of C:SM and it's not the dreaded "Vulkan list".

What if it's not a full codex but an armylist?

IE, a redo or sequel to Codex: Armageddon? :shifty:

This.

I'd bet that if we do see a Sallie "codex", it will be something like this

Why would GW make a Salamander codex when Codex Space marines just provided everyone's favourite Salamander SC?

Because Tu'Shan nor Vel'cona exist in game. Both are actually important in the History of the 40K universe, but especially Tu'Shan.

ehlijen
18-12-2010, 16:51
Because Tu'Shan nor Vel'cona exist in game. Both are actually important in the History of the 40K universe, but especially Tu'Shan.

My point was: They put a Slamander SC into Codex Space Marines, quite clearly indicating that that's the codex to be used for Salamanders.

There are a few major chapters left that don't have that to say for themselves as of yet.

Voss
18-12-2010, 18:58
There's a reason why Sallies are probably the most common army out of C:SM and it's not the dreaded "Vulkan list".

Really? I think I've only ever seen 2 or 3 painted Salamander armies (one of which is the studio army). I'm pretty sure the only reason I hear about them at all these days is because of Mr Reroll.

genestealer_baldric
18-12-2010, 18:58
First, Salamanders are an original legion.

i know but they just dont have the er...zing of other chapters dont get me wrong i realy like them but enough for a full codex

Drakcore Bloodtear
18-12-2010, 19:28
Arn't the Sallie in the Second Babad book?
Maybe thats the list the OP was on about,
it being written by Matt Ward could of been a mistake

Hendarion
18-12-2010, 22:55

That made my day! Entirely! :D

Shatterclaw
19-12-2010, 00:09
I should be slapped for this, and Please, for give me one and all.. but this just sprang to mind...

""Matt Ward has been quoited as saying he no longer works for Games-workshop. He was interviewed while crashing the set of Doctor Who, He claims His departure from the company came about after he stopped work on numerous codex to produce his version of Codex Salamanders. A disagreement about his choice erupted in a studio free for all that totaled numerious offices and Bugmans bar leaving a few enthusiasts that witness the onslught injured. While on the run from Police, He then broke on to the closed set, before declaring the Time lord was the reincarnation of the salamander primarch. Wards actions and a leaked preview of the codex has shock to the gaming community.""

CarbonCopy
19-12-2010, 02:28
That is pure win, Shatterclaw!

AlphariusOmegon20
19-12-2010, 14:05
Really? I think I've only ever seen 2 or 3 painted Salamander armies (one of which is the studio army). I'm pretty sure the only reason I hear about them at all these days is because of Mr Reroll.

LOL I know of at least 9, including my own, in Chicago alone, and that includes one that is at least a full battle company and one that is a half chapter, working towards a full one (this is mine).

Wishing
20-12-2010, 14:11
Anyway, if there ever was a marine codex that should not have been written in the first place it is Black Templars. I mean really. If GW wants the 40K to be about different-colored-marines and nothing else then they should at least have the decency to do first founding chapters first. I mean why the hell are they writing a codex about a random second founding chapter with no known descendants or history worth noting when at the same time famous first founding chapters with several descendant chapters like Raven Guards, Salamanders, Imperial Fists and White Scars are thrown into Ultramarine Codex with the general idea of "these guys are like ultrasmurfs but less awesome"

The answer is easy, although not very satisfying I reckon - GW were inspired and excited about the newly-invented black templars exactly because they were new, exciting and really badass looking, so they made them 3rd ed cover boys and gave them their own codex and special stuff. They did not do this for a first founding chapter because none of those chapters excited the designers to the same degree. GW is fueled by what the designers think is cool at any given time, not by a fairness-based chart of what marine chapter is next in line for a codex.

Lars Porsenna
20-12-2010, 19:28
LOL I know of at least 9, including my own, in Chicago alone, and that includes one that is at least a full battle company and one that is a half chapter, working towards a full one (this is mine).

I'll throw in and say I have a fully painted Sallies army too. Don't know how many points, but probably well above 3000 by now...

Damon.

Earthbeard
20-12-2010, 21:38

I know of none - see how this is going?

Your own observations are merely that, neither proof nor lack of proof either way, as are mine.

ElfSpeaker
20-12-2010, 22:54
I doubt there will be a Salamanders book but I could see them doing 6th ed Space Marines as too separate books: Codex: Space Marines and Chapters of the Space Marines including a number of modified lists. This is, however, just wish-listing.

self biased
21-12-2010, 02:49
Do you want the nice and PC version or the harsh, but truer version :)?

as a dark angels, player, I want my cake and to eat it too. and strippers. and booze. and boozed up strippers to make sex at.

Hellebore
21-12-2010, 05:04
I made most of a Salamander's company as well as a converted Tu'Shan in terminator armour when the list came out in codex Armageddon. They seemed far more interesting than the other marine chapters out there.

I even started compiling a list of names for each model and history for them. Starting from an ambush by dark eldar that left the majority of the company dead as well as its captain. The company's story then evolved from this point, with the command squad's sergeant becoming the Captain based on the classic marine captain with bionic leg (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2006smcommanders-m.htm) - (bottom right) and other squad sergeants being promoted from the survivors.

Hellebore

slayerofmen
21-12-2010, 06:53
My super big question for necrons is, does Matt ward like them or is this going to turn into another O&G army book/codex issue where he writes it because they said so

Joezombie
21-12-2010, 07:26
I even started compiling a list of names for each model and history for them. Starting from an ambush by dark eldar that left the majority of the company dead as well as its captain. The company's story then evolved from this point, with the command squad's sergeant becoming the Captain based on the classic marine captain with bionic leg (http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2006smcommanders-m.htm) - (bottom right) and other squad sergeants being promoted from the survivors.

Hellebore

Im sorry but you guys have to look at Lord Macragge. I cant stop laughing....

Af for the original post,I doubt it, but it would be fun if not infuriating.

Bonzai
21-12-2010, 14:35
If there are any new Marine Codex'es coming, it would be Iron Hands. They are the most non-codex chapter, and were the only Legion without a character in the new Codex.

However, I could certainly see Salamanders having enough fluff and potential for a codex. They had some unique psychic abilities, characters, etc... Some non-codex variation would be things like hand melta's for sgts (instead of plasma pistols), artificer armor being available on whole units, etc...

That, and as a Salamander player, I would really like to get a Flamer Pred like the Blood Angels get. It doesn't have to be fast, just with the nice S6 AP3 template. Oh..... and a Land Raider Achilles. :cheese:

Spyral
21-12-2010, 16:53
As a 3e pre-armegeddon sallies player, I can see GW redo an armgeddon style thing. No He'Stan but 2x melta or 2x flamers in tac squads, and a TH/SS squad with the option for a HF/PF combo... if only because it would mean you'd need to buy more minatures!

Stealin' Genes
21-12-2010, 19:25

Most people I've seen playing marines are using their own colors, but they're "counts as" Salamanders.

As people have pointed out, I think a some people liked the dogged, determined, and unwilling to give up Salamander archetype from Codex Armageddon, plus the Salamanders are a little nicer than normal marines, trying to avoid collateral damage and stuff.

They've gotten way, way more popular 'cuz of Vulkan, though, you can't deny it. I feel for people who've been playing them forever, there's something kinda sad when your labor of love army turns into the bandwagon.

AlphariusOmegon20
22-12-2010, 23:51
I know of none - see how this is going?

Your own observations are merely that, neither proof nor lack of proof either way, as are mine.

LOL make that 10 in the Windy City. A friend of mine just started Sallies today. ;)