PDA

View Full Version : Flip Flopping Armies

The Inevitable One
17-12-2010, 21:06
Has anyone had trouble picking a particular army and actually sticking to it? Could you tell us a little bit about it?

If you have, may you please help me out on how I can get around my 'inability to choose' nonsense?

I have, for the past few of weeks, been trying to pick a army, but every time I pick one, I get cold feet and pick another one. One day it is Space Marines, the next day is Tyranids, and so on. They are all equal in my respects, but I am just a really (and I mean really) indecisive person.

So, could anyone help me out with what army I should pick? Perhaps tell my what your favorite army is and why?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your answers.

*I changed some of the thread post because other armies are also on my list.

dragonet111
17-12-2010, 21:19
When I started to play in 3ed I knew I wanted to play Space Marines. I choose Dark Angels at first, but soon after I tried Black Templars and Blood Angels.
I finally end up playing Blood Angels, because I loved the fast rhinos, the death company, .....loved everything from that army (still love everything :))

With marines it's easy to proxy and try several build, several codex. You should really try different chapters and find the one that suits you.

Other solutions:
Pick up you favorite Primarch and use the codex that match your choice.
Write some fluff and find the codex that allow you to build your army.

Amareo Davion
17-12-2010, 21:21
I started out as Ultramarines fan, then I moved onto Warriors of Chaos. I've gone back to the smurfs but I still do WoC.

My favourite legion is the Ultramarines. I love the Tactical effiency of them, and even though some would say they're not felixble enough, I like how organised they are. I guess its something I want to be like, looking at the state of my room. Its a shame Matt Ward overdid it with the 5th ed codex.

Anyway, I suggest you pick a legion depending on your playing style. If you prefer bikes, then the white scars are for you. If you prefer, assault squads and land speeders, then choose the raven guard. Go on the lexicanum, and look at the legions type of warfare. That way you can choose which one is best for you.

edit: This is assuming your looking to play one of the 9 astartes loyalist legions

Ravenous
17-12-2010, 21:24
A friend of mine has started and abandoned 13 armies since april.

As for me I build something, paint it up real pretty and play it into the ground and sell it, that way Im always ahead of rules changes.

Bonzai
17-12-2010, 21:27
Has anyone had trouble picking a particular army and actually sticking to it? Could you tell us a little bit about it?

If you have, may you please help me out on how I can get around my 'inability to choose' nonsense?

I have, for the past couple of weeks, been trying to pick a Space Marine Legion, but every time I pick one, I get cold feet and pick another one. One day it is Blood Angels, the next day is Raven Guard, and so on. They are all equal in my respects, but I am just a really (and I mean really) indecisive person.

So, could anyone help me out with what Space Marine Legion I should pick? Perhaps tell my what your favorite Legion is and why?

The answer? A homebrew chapter.... The Sons of an Unknown Primarch. Their colors are grey, with a black trim, and the emblem is a white question mark on a black background. Much like Eric Cartman when he didn't know who his Father was, they oscilate between potential father figures and seek to emulate them.

Voss
17-12-2010, 21:28

I have, for the past couple of weeks, been trying to pick a Space Marine Legion, but every time I pick one, I get cold feet and pick another one. One day it is Blood Angels, the next day is Raven Guard, and so on. They are all equal in my respects, but I am just a really (and I mean really) indecisive person.

So, could anyone help me out with what Space Marine Legion I should pick? Perhaps tell my what your favorite Legion is and why?

When it comes to marines, just decide on the codex. Everything else is just a colour scheme.

Ravenous
17-12-2010, 21:29
There's a guy here like that, his marines are painted as preheresy deathguard that double over as: Chaos, Blood Angels, Space Wolves, and Vanilla marines.

Its a great idea, but it makes you look like a bit of cheapskate.

ForgottenLore
17-12-2010, 21:36
Well, for starters I wouldn't recommend Marines at all. There is so much overload of information and so many people play them that they all just kinda blend together and are fairly boring.

If you absolutely have your heart set on Marines, definitely do your own chapter. Read a bunch of the fluff on GW's chapters but use that as a springboard to creating your own army instead of using someone else's.

Hrw-Amen
17-12-2010, 21:39
For me part of the fun of the hobby is having several different armies to swap between. It keeps it fresh and prevents bordom seaping in. If you are getting fed up painting one you can add a unit to another army instead, then go back to the other choice later after you've had time to reflect on it.

I know that means you end up spending more, but over time it probably does not matter. I've been collecting armies since before RT days just for the fun of collecting. I've never sold anything and could not envisage doing so. You don't have to go mad and buy every unit for every army all at once.

Not only that, if you have several choices you can always get a game if you want even if the other person does not have an army to hand as they can borrow one of yours.

Moriarty
17-12-2010, 21:54
If you insist on going SM, (though why you wouldn't go Ork is beyond me ;)) create your own Chapter colour scheme, play through the different Chapters until you find your heart's desire, then settle.

chromedog
17-12-2010, 22:00
I just collected the 4 armies I liked (out of all of them).
One at a time.

Eldar (first army)
SM (plain vanilla/ulltras that were NEVER ultras).
DH
IG.

None of the others ever appealed to me. Aspects of some of them did, but the armies as a whole did not.
I've never been one to flip-flop though - make a decision and stand by it.

The Inevitable One
17-12-2010, 23:13
Thank you all for your responses.

Very true, I over looked the fact that most of the Space Marines are the same in terms of rules, just different paint schemes.

After watching Tron: Legacy last night, I was blown away and wanted to start a high-tech, arena fighting race. But is there such a thing? I thought Dark Eldar and Tau, but there could be more.

Keep your answers coming! Thanks again!

Shadowlance
17-12-2010, 23:25
The two recommendations I can make are this, unless you are playing just for plays sake (i.e. you will start off the bat meta gaming) start deciding via the fluff and miniatures of an army.

For a long time I was indesisive about what army I wanted to play, from week to week a new idea or concept or army design would occur in my head but I was never realy reading the Dex's or looking at the miniatures I was thinking way too far ahead. When I finaly came down to Earth (or Terra in this case :D) I found what I wanted.

I now play a marine chapter of my own creation using the Vanilla marine dex.

the other thing to remember is in 40k the fluff possibilities are endless don't get trapped in thinking the ideal behind your army has to be one way. Hell if you want do the far out ideas, female marines, chaos marines that are actually incorruptible, half xeno breed-whatever.

At the end of the day I find that your first army is your pet army, well at least mine is, so choose something you like and will build upon, but also at the same time don't be afraid of collecting multiple small armies or stopping your main army for a while to try something new.

hope this helps

Shadowlance

samiens
17-12-2010, 23:37
I've collected pretty much everything and still flip flop. Don't want to get too psychological but there's often a reason behind it.

For me, I started as Dark angels way back with the Deathwing supplement to Space Hulk but as I got older and more competitive (and DA less so) I started really exploring other armies. I've had a few decent stops along the way (fully painted Necrons, 5000 points of CSM and a painted Eldar army from various doubles tournaments) I've wasted so much time and money.

i had an epiphany as to why it never stuck. I basically repeat the smae pattern- mess around with an army, get fed up, try to paint Dark Angels, get fed up, mope about, find a new army to not finish. The truth was I just didn't want a Dark Angel army any more but wouldn't let it go- and I totally overthought it. Luckily, through my wanderings there was one other army I kept coming back to- Tau- and I am now very happy playing the grey guys at every opportunity and it just feels right.

Which is a evry longwinded (and crazy) way of suggesting that you may want to think a little more about why armies don't stick and what you really want from 40k

bluemage
18-12-2010, 01:14
Well the best advice for you if you really just like all the armies and want to own them all is just give in and realize that over the years you will end up purchasing every army. The question then becomes what you want to play now, and all the other armies you'll get to when the time comes. For this approach just stick with the latest codex that has been released.

Born Again
18-12-2010, 01:25
I have several different armies. I've found when I get sufficiently excited to set about a new army, I can get about 1000 pts worth or so done before I've either had enough of them for now (painting wise, I'll still play with them), or can't contain my excitement for another army any longer. So that's my solution: get several small armies. Then in you decide later on you want more, get another 1000 pt army to make it 2000. If even that's too much for you, make it 500 pt blocks.

Funky01chef
18-12-2010, 01:54
I have to echo the last few posts, if you drawn towards the imagery or a force and arn't bother by it's effectiveness, slowly build up serveral smaller forces, you'll be amazed by the way they all grow into armies in thier own right in no time just by adding and painting a unit at a time (I know after nearly 18 years in the hobby I have way more models then I know what to do with, or can even keep track of) but if I can offer one piece of advise, paint your models as you buy them, don't let them build up into the grey and silver hoard or else you'll never overcome them :)

The Inevitable One
18-12-2010, 06:09
True, very true.

I have found that now, it is better to pick, play, and have fun with an army than to sit around all the time being very perfectionist about it. That being said I have I have narrowed it down to two armies...

...Dark Eldar and Eldar.

Thank you all very much for helping me out.

zantis
18-12-2010, 07:06
id say, go with the army that either has the coolest models or rules that best fit your playstyle(whatever matters most to you). If you are on a budget, never buy models unless you are sure you will use them/really enjoy the modeling aspect of them. Proxy untill you are sure of the army you want. Dont give up on an army unless you've played at least 10 games with them and are still unhappy with them. Someimes you can tell earlier, but i find 10 games a good number to go for. Also make sure that the people you play aginst during those first few games dont take really overpowered lists. If they do and you dont like the army you're trying after a few games, it might not have anything to do with the army you're using and everything to do with the other guys army destroying it.

Spider-pope
18-12-2010, 08:18

This is the bane of my hobby existence, a complete lack of a ability to just pick one army and stick with it to completion. Its why i have more than a dozen half started forces laying about and only a couple of decent sized armies to game with. So if you do find a cure, please share it.

totgeboren
18-12-2010, 09:46
I depend on what you want from your games. I only really play Orks and "Chaos" (CSM and Traitor IG), so I got three armies.

The orks are fun to play, and they offer modelling opportunities like no other army, and this is comparing to other game systems even!

I don't have a single standard GW/(other company) ork vehicle in my army, and those few times I have had them, they always end up on the workbench, modified of salvaged for parts to make new ones. The vehicle pool for my orks is an ever shifting modelling collection, meaning I always have new and exciting figs I want to try out. If I get bored, I just make new stuff from the old that I don't like any more.
However, the fluff for orks means they often fail to catch my interest for long periods at a time. Even if I try and make coherent and credible fluff for them, face it, they are quite one-dimensional, and lack the deeper character you get with human /SM characters.

The part that glues me to the game-world in particular is my Word Bearers, and my Traitor IG army that are tied to them fluff-wise.
Both these make every game an interesting story, since I want to know what happens in their struggle against the aliens, the loyalists and unbelievers.
The fluff have made me enjoy playing them for the last, hmmm... 13 years.
Even though Dark Apostle Orias has got a new fig to represent him more times than I can remember, his quest for power continues, and will probably continue for a few more decades I guess. :)