PDA

View Full Version : blaster vs shredder

tezza21
17-12-2010, 21:10
Hey guy's i'm at odd's at the min i'm in the middle of putting together my kabalite warriors.What shall i use as my special weapon the blaster or the shredder as most of my opponants use marines and guard armies ? any help

Ravenous
17-12-2010, 21:15
Blaster, it kills tanks, marines, MCs, and IDs ICs, everything else kills infantry just fine.

theunwantedbeing
17-12-2010, 21:15
Shredder is better for damage output on infantry, the blaster is better for popping tanks.

tezza21
17-12-2010, 21:16
Good point i shall be using the blaster but i prefer the shredder mini lol so i will count it as a blaster

Grimtuff
17-12-2010, 21:23
Good point i shall be using the blaster but i prefer the shredder mini lol so i will count it as a blaster

Only if you do that with every Shredder in the army. Otherwise it will be seen as a dick move by many people due to the confusion it will cause.

Ravenous
17-12-2010, 21:26
I can see why someone would do that though, my army has 17 blasters in it, which means I bought 17 boxes of warriors. Ebay isnt an option either as each is basically $10 a peice with shipping anyway, that and I needed the 18 splintercannons for my 9 venoms.

I could get 3 per box with some modding but that just seems like being a cheap-o to me.

Designer891
17-12-2010, 21:36
I can see why someone would do that though, my army has 17 blasters in it, which means I bought 17 boxes of warriors. Ebay isnt an option either as each is basically $10 a peice with shipping anyway, that and I needed the 18 splintercannons for my 9 venoms.

I could get 3 per box with some modding but that just seems like being a cheap-o to me.

You actually bought 17 boxes? Or are you saying you will need 17 boxes?

Ether way I would just use both shredders and blasts as blasters. I doubt I will ever use a shredder unless I knew for sure I was fighting some horde army even then the range sucks on shredders.

Ravenous
17-12-2010, 21:38
I'm currently on box 10 out of 18, and there is only 40 models in the army XD

Designer891
17-12-2010, 21:42
I'm currently on box 10 out of 18, and there is only 40 models in the army XD

That's crazy amount of models, I need some dark lance guys if you got any left? But yeah ebay is retarded I tried getting a few dark lance troops and after shipping and bidding they go for like $8+ USDA, I would rather buy another box like you said.

Ravenous
17-12-2010, 21:47
Well I ran the numbers and Ebay would cost me $10 per blaster and $10 per splinter cannon, for an extra $5 I get the rest of the box and resell it without the bits.

And yeah I have loads of dark lances, agonizers, venom blades, shredders, and I'll have about 140 warriors spare.

PM me if you want the lances.

SgtTaters
17-12-2010, 23:49
you could get some fire dragon, paint them with your army, give them a blade on their backpack.
Dark Eldar warriors already have helmets crested in a similar manner.

solkan
18-12-2010, 01:58
I don't know about anyone else, but if I needed 18 blasters, my first response would be to break out the greenstuff. 18 boxes of warriors indeed. :eek:

Ravenous
18-12-2010, 05:19
If you want to do it right you got have the cash to back it up ;)

Wise Guy Sam
18-12-2010, 09:30
I don't care what anyone says, shredders look badass and have a place in my army. Mind you, I've yet to play a game with my Dark Eldar but a shredder fits the role of my infantry hunting warrior squads so much better for 10 points less.

tezza21
18-12-2010, 11:00
Yeah i will be using all my shredder parts as count as blasters i think they look better with the vanes on the barrel more evil imo

DDogwood
18-12-2010, 15:21
I'm using Shredders instead of Blasters in my Warrior squads. I'll save up the Blasters for when I build a tank-hunting Trueborn unit.

My theory is that the DE should be able to get enough lances to pop tanks pretty easily, and MEQs aren't their biggest problem anyway. Shredders should be handy against Ork and Guard hordes, which look like the toughest things for DE to take on. So, I'll give up a bit of firepower against the elite armies in order to help out against swarming tactics.

Plus, I like the look and fluff of the Shredders, which is at least as important as in-game performance.

dingareth
18-12-2010, 17:01
If you want to do it right you got have the cash to back it up ;)

I just made a mold of the Blaster and the left arm that goes with it. I've bought 3 boxes of Warriors and now have 11 Blasters in my army. God bless Aluminite.

Grimtuff
18-12-2010, 22:56
Yeah i will be using all my shredder parts as count as blasters i think they look better with the vanes on the barrel more evil imo

There is really some understanding comprehension fail going on in this thread. So you're including both the Blaster and Shredder models in your army yet both are counting as Blasters. M'kay...

Haven't you considered this might be just a wee little bit confusing for some opponents? So all the Shredders are Blasters? (apart from this one, and this one etc. etc.) either shave the vanes off (or add vanes to the Blaster) for consistencies sake or just count them as what they actually are.

Flamers and Meltaguns for example look somewhat similar too. How would you feel if you moved your prize big killy tank foward to a squad that appears to have a Flamer only for your opponent to inform you that all the Flamer models in the army are actually Meltagunners, in addition to the actual Meltaguns?

Hence why it's considered a dick move. By all means, use the Shredder as a Blaster and tell your opponent but we need some consistency here. Consistency that will only come by not including any actual Shredders in your list and not using any Blaster models.

TheRatsInTheWalls
18-12-2010, 23:42
Flamers and Meltaguns for example look somewhat similar too. How would you feel if you moved your prize big killy tank foward to a squad that appears to have a Flamer only for your opponent to inform you that all the Flamer models in the army are actually Meltagunners, in addition to the actual Meltaguns?

Hence why it's considered a dick move. By all means, use the Shredder as a Blaster and tell your opponent but we need some consistency here. Consistency that will only come by not including any actual Shredders in your list and not using any Blaster models.

I don't think he'd need to go that far. I agree that none of the Shredders should actually be Shredders, but if he told his opponent that all Shredders were blasters there shouldn't be much of a problem. It's just a matter of making sure your opponent absolutely knows what you have. For example, I don't have the means to make my Eldar heavy weapons interchangeable so I tell my opponents what everything is at deployment, and then remind them if it seems like they've forgotten. I'm not a competitive player, so that works out pretty well.

Edit (Sidebar): Regarding your signature, "I couldn't care less" says exactly what it is meant to say. Many people screw it up and say "I could care less," which still works when said sarcastically. The point remains that this common Californian phrase clearly declares that the person just does not care.

Ravenous
19-12-2010, 16:24
I just made a mold of the Blaster and the left arm that goes with it. I've bought 3 boxes of Warriors and now have 11 Blasters in my army. God bless Aluminite.

Well technically you can get 3 blasters per box if you hack the lance dark off the dark lance, it just makes a slight bigger looking blaster (good for true born). The other one you can get is using the blast pistol end and replacing the shredders end.

Its not sensible in any way but I just like to have the real thing representing what it actual is.

Souleater
19-12-2010, 17:24
Are Shredders actually of much use against light infantry? By the time the are in range isn't the Dark Eldar Squad uncomfortably close to them?

I think Splinter Cannons are superior as they are hitting out to 36" range. Yes, you can hav both but I still don't think the Shredder adds as much to the Squad as a Blaster (better range, AT, Anti-HI, cuts through FNP)

DDogwood
19-12-2010, 22:36
Are Shredders actually of much use against light infantry? By the time the are in range isn't the Dark Eldar Squad uncomfortably close to them?

That depends on a lot of variables. If your squad is in the middle of an open field, with no supporting units around, then yes, it's an uncomfortable position. That's not usually a good way to play 40k, though.

Ravenous
20-12-2010, 02:24

I think Splinter Cannons are superior as they are hitting out to 36" range. Yes, you can hav both but I still don't think the Shredder adds as much to the Squad as a Blaster (better range, AT, Anti-HI, cuts through FNP)

I agree, so far my dark eldar win huge by keeping the enemy at arms reach, if you enter the 36" bubble of splinter cannons and dark lances that unit has a good chance of being gone, and if you enter the 18 to 24" passager weapons range then that unit will not be there.

Really the best a shredder can do is kill 3ish models max and now you're whole unit is within 12" of that unit and its possible support units, Dark Eldar are all about MSU and shooting, none of this over hyped expensive combat business.