PDA

View Full Version : Anybody interested in Man O' War?

Ironmonger
18-12-2010, 04:28
My group is just starting to get into Battlefleet Gothic, and we've talking about starting up with Man O' War soon. Seeing as there is no sub-forum dealing with Man O' War as a SG (which I find a bit odd...), I was wondering if anyone on here actually plays the game, has played it, has thoughts or suggestions about starting it up, etc., etc.

Niibl
18-12-2010, 06:50
I did play it (back in the days).
Nice game but, like so many games from that time, it suffers from counters overkill.
damage counters, fire counters, magic counters, crew counters, special crew counters...
As all those counters needed to go on the ship templates,so those were so big that you needed an additional table for them. Just annoying, especially once the fleets get bigger.
I think I would only try it again once someone turns it into a stat-card game with tick off boxes and slightly more stream lined rules. Flyers were not worth it IIRC.

Wintermute
18-12-2010, 07:16
I've moved this thread to SG & FW Games General Discussion

Wintermute

Ironmonger
18-12-2010, 18:57
I did play it (back in the days).
Nice game but, like so many games from that time, it suffers from counters overkill.
damage counters, fire counters, magic counters, crew counters, special crew counters...
As all those counters needed to go on the ship templates,so those were so big that you needed an additional table for them. Just annoying, especially once the fleets get bigger.
I think I would only try it again once someone turns it into a stat-card game with tick off boxes and slightly more stream lined rules. Flyers were not worth it IIRC.

Flyers actually seem to be right up there with magic as one of the more powerful aspects of the game...or one of the worst, as I'm finding out.

Funny you should mention that about the cards with tick boxes: someone has done that already! That's how I'm starting out (after having FINALLY tracked down the rules!): cheap print of cards for a game or two, and then eventually moving on to having them printed in colour on card stock to put in protectors. As a fan of Warmahordes this is THE way to good with a game like this, and the general consensus over on the Sea of Claws is that it's a vast improvement to the old token system.

I am aiming to get all three boxes before long, but for right now I just have the rules and home made copies of charts in place of the Magic Cards and Man O'War cards...someone even did a Wizard's College card!:cool: After the three boxes are acquired I'll be hunting down the handful of WD and CJ dealing with Man O'War rules and expansions: I already have the Undead and Lizardmen parts, as they were folded into the rules when the guy did the cards.

I'm getting into this game at the same time as BFG, so it'll be interesting to compare the two systems side by side as I progress and learn.

Easy E
22-12-2010, 20:32
I have Man O' War, Sea of Blood, and Plague Fleet.

I honestly have not played it that much, but though about hammering together some fleets for it.