PDA

View Full Version : What is the best army for a beginner at 40k

rob_appo
18-12-2010, 09:17
I'm new to 40k and have a few codexes and I was wondering what would be the best army for a beginner that wasn't normal space marines

Wise Guy Sam
18-12-2010, 09:25
Best way to start is choose the army you like. I cant stress the importances of collecting a force you like the look of, the background of and are proud to field. Some armies take longer to learn then others and some are harder to paint but this should have little influence in your choice Rob_appo as getting to know your army as you collect it is kinda the point.

Tarax
18-12-2010, 09:38
What is it that you're looking for? Are you looking at an army that helps you learn the rules or are you looking for an army that you want to play for the forseeable future?

If you want to learn the rules, most armies will do. Start small, only a couple of units, maybe 1 vehicle, like Black Reach.

If you're looking for an army you want to play, there are a lot of other threads for this, probably even some stickies. And what the previous poster said, look at what army attracts you most, either for painting, background or playability.

rob_appo
18-12-2010, 09:47
I want an army that I can learn to play with but one that I will want to continue to play with I like painting so something that is fun to pain aswell would be nice

zis
18-12-2010, 10:05
Well hard for us to tell you what you will want to continue play whit and what is fun to paint. I suggest Space marines, try out Blood angels, or space wolfs, they have nice looking miniatures, you donīt have to paint millions of them so will continue to be ok painting. Compaired to 100 normal ork boys what will make you bored after 1 min.

And they are probebly the best choice for a beginner, as they are forgiving and can take a couple of hits.

Zweischneid
18-12-2010, 10:12
I'm new to 40k and have a few codexes and I was wondering what would be the best army for a beginner that wasn't normal space marines

Why not Space Marines?

Lacking any other hint to your inclinations, the "easy to learn, easy to collect, easy and fun to paint, easy to expand, fun to tweak and test in different ways" all point to Space Marines. And with Black Reach, as well as perhaps a Battleforce, there's few ways cheaper to get on the way.

Vaktathi
18-12-2010, 10:13

I want an army that I can learn to play with but one that I will want to continue to play with I like painting so something that is fun to pain aswell would be nice

Unfortunately this doesn't help cut the list down much. Any army can be fun to paint if you are into the visual and have a cool color scheme. Lots of armies have tons of room for expandability.

However, since you have stated you wish to stay away from Space Marines, I'll give you what would be my preferences.

Eldar: While not the most ultra competitive army anymore, they still work rather well and have an awesome aesthetic and are fun to play and allow for lots of room to go crazy with painting. Not too difficult to learn if you pick up on the subtleties, some get it very quick others not so much.

Imperial Guard: Tons of model ranges for them (Cadians, Death Korps of Krieg, Vostroyan Firstborn, Catachans, Mordians, Valhallans, Tallarn, Elysians, etc) with a huge range of units of almost every type, and can be painted in just about any imagineable style from the very simple to the very difficult and look good in just about anything. A very competitive army currently, and they are an army that one never really finishes, you just keep adding more and more, you never stop finding ways to expand them. This is an easy army to learn the basics of and do well with but difficult to fully master.

Dark Eldar: *VERY* tough to learn initially, but if you do and stick with them, you will be a much better player for it and will be able to take up other armies much easier afterwards. Once you get them down you won't have issues with any other armies you may want to try after. Their models are absolutely beyond astounding visually and you can go lots of ways for painting them.

Orks: You can paint them just about any way you want and it'll probably look good and be fluffy all the same, and are a very easy army to learn (get tons of Boyz, send Boyz at enemies, watch Boyz chop enemies) and not too much harder to master.

Axel
18-12-2010, 11:19
Imho, Space Marines is the best starter army.

With not too many miniatures on the table (money, relative easy to paint) you usually get some effect out of every unit, and they do not die like droves to mistakes. They can then be developed together with your skills to a real effective force.

Once you decide on another army, its also never amiss to have a SM-army at home to playtest against.

rob_appo
18-12-2010, 11:20
I quite like the look of chaos space marines the marine models, and I like the idea of creating a small elete war band. I also like the idea of terminators

I know there completely different but what are tyranids like I really like the alien films and the idea of having an army of horrible inhuman creatures

tezza21
18-12-2010, 12:04
Well the chaos marine's look cool but a few of the chaos players say they need a new codex and nids need a update imo

LonelyPath
18-12-2010, 12:13
For me the easiest armies for beginners - when discounting regular SM - would be either Orks or Imperial Guard. Both are fairly simple the use and Orks also have the added bonus of being a relatively cheap army to purchase if you get alot of Black reach stuff and then use some odd spare components and bits sites to by up things like power klaws and the lik to convert your models.

I saw someone follow this method and a army of 2 warbosses (both AoBL but one was converted), 20 Nobz, 60+ Boyz and 9 Deff Koptas was quite nasty to face off against for alot of people.

Castigator
18-12-2010, 12:21
I know there completely different but what are tyranids like I really like the alien films and the idea of having an army of horrible inhuman creatures

Tyranids are certainly feasible if they appeal to you. There Codex isn't the best (but certainly not the worst either). There's many nice models (but also some holes in the line). The learning curve is probably steeper than Marines (but likely less so than, say, Dark Eldar). If playing the clawed-and-tentacled swarm appeals to you, go for it.

That said (aside from players disgruntled with the new Codex), I've found Tyranids to be one of the most frequently "dropped" armies among player I have met over the years. It's easy to start longing for "cool stuff" like rumbling tanks, blazing guns, sleek skimmers, or just some "central (anti-)hero to identify with, after painting an endless line of clawed gaunts or whatever. Make sure "Nids" really are what you want out of 40K.

Alot of people with "I-think-Alien-was-a-cool-movie-syndrome" really enjoy playing against Nids more than they truly enjoy playing them.

rob_appo
18-12-2010, 13:00
How at a disadvantage does the chaos codex put you at ?

Castigator
18-12-2010, 13:28

None I can think of as far as "getting into 40K" is concerned.

And if it does, it's easy to try other Marine Codexes with CSM figures.

rob_appo
18-12-2010, 13:59
Well I think I'm gonna give them a go thanks for the help

I really like the idea of terminators how should I kit them out for deep striking and combat

LonelyPath
18-12-2010, 14:38
If you're going for Chaos Marines then terminators with a couple of combi-meltas tend to be popular for some extra tank busting. A lot of people I see upgrade every squad member so they are all armed differently (like 1 with combi-melta and power weapon, another with combi-melta and power fist, another with chainfist, another with twin lightning claws, etc). Make sure to by 1 or 2 Chaos Terminator Lord kits, they're a veritable feast of great spare parts for your terminators.

As for Codex: Space Marines, the most popular builds for terminators that I see as either all Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields for assault, or Cylclone Missile Launcher for tactical.

rob_appo
18-12-2010, 14:57
Cool I've got the codex already I like the fluff now to write a list thanks for the help again

Archangel_Ruined
18-12-2010, 23:34
The best beginner army for learning to play is always going to be a marine one (pretty much any flavour you like bar Grey Knights, they're all pretty similar) because they're forgiving and reasonably good at everything. If painting is more of a concern than playing then it's even easier to pick an army, which one do you most like the look of?

Charistoph
19-12-2010, 07:47
The best beginner army for learning to play is always going to be a marine one (pretty much any flavour you like bar Grey Knights, they're all pretty similar) because they're forgiving and reasonably good at everything. If painting is more of a concern than playing then it's even easier to pick an army, which one do you most like the look of?

May I also add that they have most of the unit types in their codicies? They only lack Cavalry and Jet Bike units (though Chaos Spawn Beasts are the same as Cavalry, and Sammael DOES have a Jet Bike) when you look at all of them combined. The only way you can't play Space Marines some how, is Horde, but there are ways to make it LOOK like a horde of Space Marines (though not always effective).

Orks also fit this bill rather well, and like the Spaz Marines, they are also included in the Black Reach box.

Simo429
19-12-2010, 09:19
Something that you like the look of.

No matter what the internet says on any given sunday every army can pull off a win if you are playing someone of a similar standard.

Castigator
19-12-2010, 11:10
No matter what the internet says on any given sunday every army can pull off a win if you are playing someone of a similar standard.

I don't think anyone, on the entire internet since its inception, has ever denied that.

If someone on the internet actually found a set-up of armies where one is entirely, absolutely, 100% impossible to beat by the other, I am sure someone would have noticed by now.

Grand Master Raziel
19-12-2010, 14:50

It doesn't put you at any disadvantage whatsoever. There's a lot of sour grapes coming from Chaos players because their last dex was a horrendously broken monstrosity, and CSMs got hit hard (and deservedly so) with the nerf stick with the dex update. There's also a certain amount of not-entirely-unreasonable angst over having a dex written with a design paradigm that started with Codex: Dark Angels and ended with Codex: Chaos Space Marines - longer on being balanced, shorter on options. That said, CSMs have a ton of options, but maybe not as much as they would have had, had their dex come out now instead of when it did.

As you're just starting, I'd say start your army fairly simply and build up from there. A good start would be a Sorceror, a couple of 10-man CSM squads with Rhinos, and maybe a Vindicator or a Dreadnought. Note: a lot of CSM players will diss on the Dread. It does have a disadvantage, but it also has advantages, and it's very characterful. If you want to play it safer, there's always the Vindicator. From there, you can practically pick units at random out of the dex and have them be reasonably effective, and if you pick them out with any kind of intent in mind, you'll find they can all be very effective.

Simo429
19-12-2010, 18:35
I don't think anyone, on the entire internet since its inception, has ever denied that.

If someone on the internet actually found a set-up of armies where one is entirely, absolutely, 100% impossible to beat by the other, I am sure someone would have noticed by now.

You aren't reading things clearly then - on every forum there are the people who say you have to have this and you have to have that and then your army will be unbeatable.

Archangel_Ruined
19-12-2010, 18:51
People on forums are idiots and their opinions should be instantly disregarded as so much tosh and piffle. Except this forum poster, obviously...

Royals
19-12-2010, 23:03
Beware of Imperial Guard. They're like crack for Warhammer. Had I known years ago how much money I would spend and how much time I would be putting into my IG army, I would have simply chosen Deathwing.

Don't get me wrong, Imperial Guard is my favorite army, it's just that they're an army you'll never finish.

I would say play Tau. They may not be the most competitive army, but they are certainly cool. Who doesn't love battle suits?

Axel
20-12-2010, 00:26
Tau are hardly suited for a starter army, unless you have a masochist streak. They need too much carefull target selection and carefully picking targets for the few counterattacks you have to offer a good start - unless you commonly play against a suitable opponent.

IG is similar, but much more resilent due to tanks and other big toys. Orks are a great starter army because they play well if you just pile them up and charge. If in doubt a good Ork general can always choose the aggressive option without doing much wrong. Their backdraw is that you need lots of greenies to make it work, and some of their most effective units (like Nobz) need some serious bookkeeping. They play like a scalpell mounted on a sledgehammer (my favourite atm).

AlphariusOmegon20
20-12-2010, 06:05
Beware of Imperial Guard. They're like crack for Warhammer. Had I known years ago how much money I would spend and how much time I would be putting into my IG army, I would have simply chosen Deathwing.

Don't get me wrong, Imperial Guard is my favorite army, it's just that they're an army you'll never finish.

LOL I finished my Steel Legion. All 10K of it.

Darklordsauron
23-12-2010, 03:14
People on forums are idiots and their opinions should be instantly disregarded as so much tosh and piffle. Including this forum poster, obviously... yarp, amen to that!:shifty:

Darklordsauron
23-12-2010, 03:19
What is the mostest bestest army for slaughtering bloody blood angels? Seriously?

prowla
23-12-2010, 05:22
If in doubt a good Ork general can always choose the aggressive option without doing much wrong. Their backdraw is that you need lots of greenies to make it work.

Painting-wise, Orks are maybe not the best army for new players, because of the amount of painting they need. You also need to have some painting skills to make them look good. For slightly more experienced guys, there's a lot of room for freehand painting, weathering effects and conversions.

In my opinion, Marines are pretty much one of the best beginner armies: quite simple to paint decently, and a lot of balanced units for playing. Necrons have also been called a "newbie army", let's see how they do with the new codex.

Abaraxas
23-12-2010, 06:50
Funny thing is I find Orks easier/more enjoyable to paint than Space Wolves haha!?

Some kind of Space Marine army is a pretty sure bet as others have outlined-your rules arent likely to lag behind and theres a huge choice of models.
But I say ORKS!!!
Theyre just so zoggin awesome.

rob_appo
23-12-2010, 08:47
I've been reading the ork codex they do look really fun and the storm boys models do look awesome I may get a black frack box set so I can get my hands on a rule book and play in a small 400 point campaign going on at my local sore ATM

Abaraxas
23-12-2010, 09:21
Theyre likely to be more expensive than a marine army mind you-and in bigger numbers than marines (more painting) but if you like Orks and Terminators AOBR would be perfect.

Best of both, and a great way to test the water for both humie scum and da boyz.

The most important thing is that you like look of the miniatures and the "fluff" or background for them.

Darnok
23-12-2010, 09:31
I've been reading the ork codex they do look really fun and the storm boys models do look awesome I may get a black frack box set so I can get my hands on a rule book and play in a small 400 point campaign going on at my local sore ATM

You will need a rulebook anyway. If you like both Orks and Terminators, the starter box sounds like an ideal candidate - instead of buying the big single rulebook.

I'd like to chime into the chorus: Space Marines are actually the best beginner army for 40K. That's partly because they are designed around the philosophy of "easy access": easy to build (many plastics, no problem at all to build a pure plastic force), easy to paint, easy to play.

My second advice would indeed be Orks. They aren't hard to start either, and there are just so many different ways to play them. However you start with them, you can choose whatever you like from there.

And if everything else fails: ask people in your store. Play a few games with others peoples armies. Get some experience under your belt. That will weigh much more than internet wisdom. ;)

rob_appo
23-12-2010, 09:43
I've played fantisy for a while so I'm not to worried about painting wanted to start 40k because it's difficult to get a fantasy game at my local store atm

Castigator
23-12-2010, 09:50
You aren't reading things clearly then - on every forum there are the people who say you have to have this and you have to have that and then your army will be unbeatable.

You have to have this and you have to have that to improve your chances of winning? Sure. This or that army is more likely to win than others given equally skilled players? Sure. This or that army/unit/combination is underpriced/overpowered (or vice versa) and more (less) effective for what you pay for it? Sure. But unbeatable? Haven't ever heard or read that so far.

40K isn't the most balanced of games there is, unfortunately. Some stuff is quite badly skewed infact. But those distortions are thankfully all still in the realm of probabilities, not certainties.

sigur
23-12-2010, 10:25
rob_appo, welcome to Warseer and Warhammer 40,000. First, any army is as suited for beginners as the next. The most important things are that you like the army for the miniatures and the background. Without that, nothing will work. So read background and look at models. Also look into alternative ranges (ignore this if you play at a GW store predominantly) or older miniatures. Based on that, choose your army. Get the rulebook (well, you should get that anyway) and a handful of miniatures (battleforce-size plus one unit at the most. That's enough for starters). And have fun. Things you shouldn't do too much: Ask for tactical advice on the interwebz, post army lists or read too much tactics threads. It just tends to make things uneasy.

Last, two minor things: Plural of codex is codices and please use proper punctuation when posting on Warseer.

Have fun with your new army and happy holidays. :)

Darklordsauron
23-12-2010, 22:49
what army kills the blood angels best?

Darklordsauron
23-12-2010, 22:53
i love orks

me to..................................

freeeeekaz
24-12-2010, 06:26
LOL I finished my Steel Legion. All 10K of it.

oh really and what about other Steel legion regiments?
10k cant be what defended Armageddon.

Axel
24-12-2010, 08:56
10k regiments, not 10k soldiers :-)

Honestly, the starter box for 40k is the best deal GW could create. SMs are the default starter army, and Orks are also both fun and easy to play, collect and expand. The perfect match.
Both armies can be tough as nails once you master them. You can even learn how to convert plastic sets with all the AoBr-Orks. Putting a cc-combat weapon on one of the koptaz is imho also a mandatory conversion - nothing kills tanks in the first round like a jet-bike scout with cc ability (providing you have the first turn). Get yourself two sets and you have two armies to start playing, then expand on the one you like more :-)

AlphariusOmegon20
25-12-2010, 06:49
oh really and what about other Steel legion regiments?
10k cant be what defended Armageddon.

I don't have a big enough house to make every regiment. ;) My 10k IG army takes up a Lot of space as it is now

gigglyjoker
02-01-2011, 03:36
It is against the rules to not choose Space Marines if you are indecisive.