PDA

View Full Version : Just started listening to Horus Rising

unheilig
19-12-2010, 06:50
.. and I was totally lost.

I hadn't read the book... and between the pronounciations, not seeing any spellings, and having no setting up of the situation or scene...

It sure the heck sounded like sanguinus was dead, and some black legion captain named Logan was about to cap the elderly Emperor with his boltgun.

I needed to go find a synopsis to get the names right, understand who the characters WEREN'T, and just how early the book is set.

Jesus, you can just throw around names that sound like "sanguinus" and terms like "false emperor" and "golden throne" without painting a very odd picture of some horribly retconned famous events!

IAMNOTHERE
19-12-2010, 06:54
That's the point, it's meant to make you think.

unheilig
19-12-2010, 06:57
is it all meant as a form of foreshadowing? if so, i think i just underestimated Dan Abnett

i did enjoy the references to "sons of horus" and "black legion"...

Model_Bits_Matt
19-12-2010, 07:56
It does just throw you in there but you quickly learn where they are, who they are and what they are upto. It was one of my biggest problems with what is otherwise an excellent novel. Then I realised what I think Dan was trying to do by just throwing you into the middle of that particular conflict and it all made more sense lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Londinium
19-12-2010, 23:58
As an above poster said, that's the entire point. Nothing has been retconned, the Emperor in the first chapter isn't our Emperor. It's meant to be a nod and a wink to what Horus will later do, along with toying with the reader's belief of what is being described. Fairly standard writing technique.