PDA

View Full Version : HE Archers

Buggus
20-12-2010, 02:23
I am a new player and just reading threw the rules and really do not have time to stop in at the local shop. So the question is do Archer with long bows in the HE codex get the xtra rank fire ie three ranks and how all does that work. I have read the rules a bit but this just seemed a bit of a mis understanding as I always thought it was just a two rank thing.

That is unless its another army in the codex specifi?

shelfunit.
20-12-2010, 08:19
Only the HE spearmen & Sea guard get to fight in the additional rank (now 4 ranks will fight as long as they have not moved that turn) this is the "Martial Prowess" HE special rule (pg 49 of the HE book) . The archers (and also Sea guard) will still only fire in 2 full ranks with half ranks beyond that ie 20 archers in 5 across 4 deep formation would fire 10 (from the first 2 ranks) and then half of the remaining models in the unit +5 for a total of 15 shots.

T10
20-12-2010, 08:23
Indeed. High elf archers do not have any special rules for shooting. But they do use longbows and longbows have the Volley Fire special rule.

-T10

shelfunit.
20-12-2010, 08:27
Indeed. High elf archers do not have any special rules for shooting. But they do use longbows and longbows have the Volley Fire special rule.

-T10

Ah, yes - cheers T10 - forgot to add about the "Volley Fire" from bows :)

Buggus
20-12-2010, 16:26
Thanks guys for your help, thats what I was seeking as the next rank only gets half the amount of guys to fire with.

Thus if I ran 48x3, then rank three would get eight out of the sixteen.

Thanks again.

b4z
20-12-2010, 18:11
It is actually the TOTAL of the remaining models in the remaining ranks HALVED and then rounded up.

It is a small but crucial difference from HALF of each remaining rank. Which is what some people confuse it for.

Because it can sometimes lead to two different numbers.

T10
20-12-2010, 18:22
Imagine multiple units of archers, each one model wide...

wilsongrahams
22-12-2010, 19:39
Imagine multiple units of archers, each one model wide...

That is a very underhand and clever tactic worth looking into!

Just to point out - the rule where archers in a HE army got to fire in an extra rank was from the 6th ed HE army book. The 7th (current) one dropped it but kept the spearmen's extra rank in CC rule.

T10
22-12-2010, 23:32
That is a very underhand and clever tactic worth looking into!

Not really. I kinda figure GW realized this and put their foot down. The FAQ indicates that half the models behind the second rank get to fire, not half the models in each rank behind the second rank.

Thus, a unit of 10 archers arranged one model wide and ten models deep gets to shoot with 6 models: the first two models and half the models in the third through tenth ranks.

-T10

Maarten K
25-12-2010, 17:53
"Just to point out - the rule where archers in a HE army got to fire in an extra rank was from the 6th ed HE army book. The 7th (current) one dropped it but kept the spearmen's extra rank in CC rule."

Actually, I believe that was the 5th edition book.