PDA

View Full Version : Tron Themed Army

The Inevitable One
20-12-2010, 08:10
Now before you say it, let me get a few words in.

I went to go and see Tron: Legacy at the midnight release and Tron shortly afterwards and was blown away! What can I say, I have a sweet tooth for science fiction movies. As you know, I am trying to start up another army but was rather indecisive. Now though, I know what I am looking for in an army. Looks and lore.

Having seen Tron: Legacy, I want it to have that high-tech and clean look to it. Nothing with spikes, warped faces, or blood splatters. With regards to lore, I am looking for an army/race that has gladiatorial fights, dance raves, etc.

That being said, perhaps the Eldar races or Tau would be my best bet? If not, can someone state another race/army that would fit what I am looking for?

As for a paint scheme, I was thinking something like this 102573102574. Having dark or light armor, with a certain glow between the cracks of the armor and having glowing strips in on behind and in front of the armor. It could be light blue, blue, orange, red, teal, white, etc.

What do you guys think? Can you help me out?

Thanks very much for reading and I look forward to your replies.

Gatsby
20-12-2010, 08:19
Dark Eldar, cut off and sand the spikes and your done. maybe use eldar models, just shave the lumps to a smooth look, prime black and paint the edges like in the DE codex and your good... but for gladiator/dance raves, DE is your army.

shelfunit.
20-12-2010, 08:29
I'd say Tau could work as well, you'd just need a lot of the bare headed Tau and then sculpt on the hat.

MajorWesJanson
20-12-2010, 09:07
Dark Eldar- you have the Jetbikes for lightbikes, with bonus rules even for running over stuff- bladevanes = light trail?
There are the new fighters and bomber, and raiders would make good detectors.

The segmented armor look leaves lots of good places for dark base with bright neon trim to get the look.

The blank masks that come in wytch/jetbike packs also match nicely to some of the helmets in the movie.

Mojaco
20-12-2010, 09:15
Just plain eldar. They've got the segmented armour to allow that colour scheme and their lore isn't that far off that you can't add a rave party (a ritual of letting their strict regime go once a month or something similar).

PyroSikTh
20-12-2010, 09:56
+1 for Dark Eldar. Everything you described (minus the spikes) is pretty much Dark Eldar.

chromedog
20-12-2010, 10:41
I'm in the middle of painting up some TRON inspired DE for a mate.

I'd still vote Tau though.

Lord Damocles
20-12-2010, 10:44
The old Tau and Necron Collectors' Guide featured a Tau army which wasn't too dissimilar to that idea (black with white hard edge highlights).

I vote for Dark Eldar though.

Charistoph
20-12-2010, 18:40
Codex: Dark Eldar.

Models would be a mix of DE and Eldar.

samiens
20-12-2010, 18:44
Tau: I actually started doing this and it looked great- and I have a light sourced Tau army now

tezza21
20-12-2010, 18:49
My god i was chatting to a mate in GW today and i said it won't be a few hours before somebody has the idea of a tron army i would try dark eldar mate for the bases

Nezalhualixtlan
20-12-2010, 19:06
Tau vehicles & suits probably have the clean lines and look to make the Tron theme work.

But the Dark Eldar might work too, they have a bit more of a baroque feel to them, and the lines are little more jagged, but it's still got enough I think to justify it.

If you paint a darker theme, and use a luminous fluorescent paint to edge the lines on your vehicles and suits, and then embed a few blacklight LEDs in your vehicles (or, shine a blacklight down on the table), you might even be able to get that actual glow effect.

Zweischneid
20-12-2010, 19:06
Someone out there's building some "Tron Templars".

nagash66
20-12-2010, 19:09
I would go with white scar marines, the bikes could be made to very tron like with a little effort.

ForgottenLore
20-12-2010, 19:33
Tau vehicles & suits probably have the clean lines and look to make the Tron theme work.

Also, compare the hammerhead Railgun to the Turrets on the tanks in the original Tron.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2405/2308281754_bfd7673672.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1mCATwCIs4Q/S_vwdto_7OI/AAAAAAAAAVE/beYCimyZ59o/s1600/IMG_2416.JPG

Nocculum
20-12-2010, 20:55
My initial vote is to go for the Tau, as it's been done before, works solidly with the theme and leaves you plenty of simple, quick and effective painting techniques lingering about just ripe for the picking.

But I think the Space Marine bike army is a sound idea too, along with turret based tanks.

unheilig
21-12-2010, 19:22
i voted for tau, as they are ideal.

if you are superslick, you'll do tau in the blue, and dark eldar in the orange.

Solid_Smurf
21-12-2010, 22:06
Someone out there's building some "Tron Templars".

Its Doremicom from youtube.
He has a full Tron Templar (Black Templar) army.

TimLeeson
22-12-2010, 02:29
NecTrons, obviously.

Sorry. Had to be done.

Gatsby
22-12-2010, 02:32
NecTrons, obviously.

Sorry. Had to be done.

.... now that you say it.... that could work...

feintstar
22-12-2010, 03:00
I vote Tau (in black with lightning blue between armour plates)

"I fight for the Users" written somewhere (on a tank?) in Tau ish script

Commander Farsight with his Disk thingy, all battlesuits that can should have shield drones attached to their backs

Throw in a few dice motifs surreptitiously (Like a 90degree angled diamond with circles inset at top and bottom - Tauish, but also a dice roll of 2...

Finally, Paint a set of black Dice with glowing blue dots for the ultimate win.

Strandedninja
05-01-2011, 23:56
Heading towards Necrons at the mo.
I am torn though, DE have the bike attacks down to a T, Tau have the whole computer/cyber/mech thing and Marines make me want them to be hard.

Asi the Red
06-01-2011, 00:05
Tron Tau (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265136)

ArchHeretic does a fine job, worth checking out.

Red X
06-01-2011, 07:53
You want Gladiator/dance rave stuff? Dude, The DE NEEEED that stuff to survive. =D totally go for them. Although i gotta admit.... those "Trau" do look awsome.