PDA

View Full Version : Bought an Empire army but lost the love...

Waagh Rider
20-12-2010, 21:41
Ok, so about this time last year I bought an Empire 'spearhead' box, or whatever they call it, then bolstered it with a couple of Hellblaster/rocket thingy and a Stank. I can make about 2000 pts.
Only I find myself this year having painted none of my big grey horde, and only having had a few games with them.

Can anyone suggest anyway I can rekindle my enthusiasm for the sons of Sigmar? Or should I sell 'em on?
I must admit I had no ideas for a theme, colour scheme or even a province for them, I just wanted a change from playing High elves....

lilloser2010
20-12-2010, 21:50
What drew you to empire in the first place?

Find what you fell in love with and try and re-kindle the old feelings.

If they were a gaming army, sell them on and buy something that fits your style of play better.

If it was for aesthetic reasons, pick a province/army scheme, then paint one model. If you feel it, do the unit and convert a hero to lead them. If you still don't feel it, sell them.

LilLoser

Razakel
20-12-2010, 21:51
I know a few friends that this has happened to, my suggestion is the following:

Play games at lower points levels, between 1,000 and 1,500. If you are playing at 2,000 points and can only make 2,000 points of troops then you will find yourself with very few active choices except between heroes and lords and will quickly tire of your army. In lower points games you will be able to try a few crazy combos and this might rekindle your love for the Empire.

On the other hand you said your primary army is High Elves and the fighting style of the Empire may just not suit you.

Also, don't get too bogged down in playing to win, a lot of players spend a very long time designing each army list. Tweaking and changing it ever so slightly to give you the edge. Sometimes you need to just pick out an unusual list with a weird combination of magic items and units and give it a go. Also, try the new scenarios. I haven't had the chance to play yet, but I've seen a few small point games played on them, and they have gotten a few of my friends who had formerly quit back in the game.

Jericho
20-12-2010, 22:45
+1 for small games and trying to emphasize whatever led you to the Empire in the first place.

It's possible that they aren't well suited to your tastes anymore, it happens. I always find it useful to think about what motivated me to get started on the project in the first place. Forcing myself to paint things I don't want just because the internet says they are teh awesome doesn't work, so I make an effort to do things because of my own reasons.

Hopefully a little introspection will do you good :) And when in doubt, paint up one of the Warrior Priests. They are a lot of fun, relatively quick with all that armor, and they are really in tune with the Empire background so something from all that is likely to rekindle the old flame. And hey, you can never have enough Warrior Priests in 8th ;)

Wakerofgods
20-12-2010, 22:57
My advice is to no matter what not sell the army :).

Unless you somehow manage to get 75% of the retail price.

WarmbloodedLizard
20-12-2010, 23:01
play 200-500pts scenarios and paint the models you need for them.

e.g. defense scenarios where you have half the points of your opponent, but he gets them in 3 waves or far away from each other, etc.

Torpedo Vegas
20-12-2010, 23:02
I had a similar problem at first. I had something like 3000 points of unpainted Empire two months ago. Then I signed up for the largest tournament in northwest Florida, and Empire is the only army I have which is big enough to lay in it. Nothing motivates you more than knowing you have two months to paint your entire army or you'll be disqualified.

someone2040
21-12-2010, 02:57
Hmm... when I start an army, I always play smaller games first. This seems to be a recurring theme in the above posts.
Always play smaller games, then start painting those models so I feel like i have a goal (I'm playing 1k point games, so get my 1k point list painted).

While painting your models, add more models to it. So when you've painted 500 points, add another 500 points of models so you up your maximum game size.

This way, your goal never seems completely out of reach (only 1000 points to paint) and you're making progress at the same time.

Sure, it's mighty tempting to buy a 2k-3k point army off the bat and dive into games. But when you get around to actually painting it, you find... Oh my, I've got 3000 points to paint. But painting and adding models to it at the same time, your goal is never far away (Even if you keep pushing it a little further by adding models).

Empire is a tough army also, because a lot of the infantry are cheap models point wise. So you need to paint a ton. I certainly didn't make it through my Empire army :(.

Ratbeast
21-12-2010, 10:35
Hmm... when I start an army, I always play smaller games first. This seems to be a recurring theme in the above posts.
Always play smaller games, then start painting those models so I feel like i have a goal (I'm playing 1k point games, so get my 1k point list painted).

While painting your models, add more models to it. So when you've painted 500 points, add another 500 points of models so you up your maximum game size.

This way, your goal never seems completely out of reach (only 1000 points to paint) and you're making progress at the same time.

Sure, it's mighty tempting to buy a 2k-3k point army off the bat and dive into games. But when you get around to actually painting it, you find... Oh my, I've got 3000 points to paint. But painting and adding models to it at the same time, your goal is never far away (Even if you keep pushing it a little further by adding models).

Empire is a tough army also, because a lot of the infantry are cheap models point wise. So you need to paint a ton. I certainly didn't make it through my Empire army :(.

You have describe my problem exactly lol, painting as you go is a great way to keep interested, atm i am doing a paint as i go orc and gobbo army, got 500 points worth or so to paint up (not including chars) before i buy more, hopefully have a fully painted horde by march

mrtn
21-12-2010, 11:52
Hide your models, it's easier to paint if you don't have 150 grey models staring down at you from a shelf. Just bring out a handful at a time, and paint those.

Waagh Rider
21-12-2010, 11:53
Thanks guys.

I think part of it might be that i'm a slow detailed painter and don't really have any techniques to paint lots of troops fast. Does anyone have any tips for batch painting empire state troops?
I'm also open to colour schemes!
r

yabbadabba
21-12-2010, 12:06
I think part of it might be that i'm a slow detailed painter and don't really have any techniques to paint lots of troops fast. Does anyone have any tips for batch painting empire state troops?
I'm also open to colour schemes!
r I am in the same boat mate. Its all about the quality. As long as you remember that simple but good is as effective on a tabletop than brilliant then you should be fine. Try these:

Keep a simple, restricted palette, 2-3 colours, simple highlights e.g. for faces use a flesh colour and then wash down with a thinned ink.

Paint 1 unit at a time, and try and do one unit from game to game. As has been said, play smaller games too, 500-1000 pts.

Keep the rear ranker's simple, add more detail to the front rank.

Experiment on 5 models. When you get the highlights you want, pre-mix all the stages in spare paint pots. As you could have an army of all the same, rough colours, this could make life really simple.

Dip - something like army builder's (http://shop.warlordgames.co.uk/army-painter-15-c.asp) is a great simple short cut for shading.

Good simple basing makes a model look ace, as will the shields.

Alternate between something you don't fancy painting too much (like that block of 40 Spearmen) with something you do (Like the Warrior Priest).

Hope that helps mate. Doing this I painted 144 models in 2000 pts. Good Luck.

Fredox
21-12-2010, 13:44
Might sound like cheating but I know a few of the Empire province colours can be achieved through the use of coloured undercoat. That's part of the reason I like my night goblins. Chaos black spray, a few colours, wash and done.

Jorgen_CAB
21-12-2010, 16:46
I have masses of Empire models and I like my models to look OK but not masterly painted. The important thing to make it look good on the gaming table so the choices of colors and contrasts is the most important decision in my opinion.

When I paint large blocks of troops I always paint them in batches of ten models. I apply the basic colors to the models and then use the appropriate wash. If I need I will highlight the bigger details on the models to make them stand out. With this tecnique you get an OK result and in my opinion the models look much better than what time you actually invested in them.

There is no point in spending hours painting a few rank and file troops, you just end up playing with unpainted models which in my opinion is boring.

Odominus
21-12-2010, 17:05
Like already mentioned...try ArmyBuilder dips. I am halfway through dipping a Skaven army right now.

Btw, Empire is a blast to play. More difficult to master, but imo the most balanced army out there.

Jericho
21-12-2010, 17:45
Also: Don't do the math. Don't add up how many models you have to paint. Know your ideal unit sizes and everything, but try not to tally every single unit, detachment, war machine and character. It can get depressing with any army in the beginning :p