PDA

View Full Version : new to fantasy, 1k high elves starting point

thegreatergood
21-12-2010, 13:28
here's my first fantasy list, new to fantasy, but i've got some 40k under my belt. well here it is:

L+H's: mage: 181
-lvl:2, b-e-steed, staff of saphery, lore of high magic (ya, we druggie elves dat's rite :P)

core: spearmen: 108 (12 spearmen)

archers: 110 (10 archers)

sea guard: 166 x2= 332 (12 guard in each)
-shields, bearer

special: sword masters: 150 (10 masters)

ellyrian reavers: 119 (5 reavers)
-bows, bearer

TOTAL: 1000

well, tatic is that the mage accompanies main fighting block (spearmen, sea guard, sword masters) and casts arrow attraction for death by arrows one unit at a time, other spell is the "stays in play" one (forget name, it's #4) for more ranged death. reavers outflank and strike an under-powered/easy kill unit, as well as shoot. sword masters hit home on the toughest units, while the other two attack units strike the same unit's side(s). i could change the archers out for spearmen,(or possibbly reavers). note that this army can be made out of the contents of IOB plus a few units, totaling about $100, so if it's changed i would rather it be for other $30 range items, but i'm open to all options. all advice appreciated.

Thanks, Phillip

Carlo
21-12-2010, 15:09
hey phillip :)

1000 points is a small army and realy hard to build around. but as you are just starting whit wfb and want to start playing i understand.

the setup you have there is a base for any army, i woud maby prefer to take only 250p in core units for a more competitiv army list but special units cost money :) i might lean on buying a pack of phoeinx guards, they will make a exelent unit for a small army as they have the 4+ward save. and cost about 30$ i think. havent goten new modles in a very long time.

here is what i think i woud run for a easy 1000p whit what you got and some extra unnits that is not going to cost to mutch to fix.

12 archers = 132p

11 archers = 121

10 sword masters = 199p (blade lord, ruby ring of ruin, standard bearer)

10 phoenix guard = 224p (banner of sorcery, standard bearer, champion)

5 reavers = 105p (whit bows and spears)

1 great eagle = 50p

mage lvl2 =165p (serrstaff) high magic(CoAA and furry of kain) flame of phoenix is good to but in 1000p armys you will not meet to big units most of the time, exept for gobblins and skaven. so whit a dircet dmg spell you might get more done. and its easyer to cast.

giving a total of 996p

you might change the eagle for a rbt if you like and removeing some items from the swordmasters you shoud make it able to fit. but they cost money to.

hope this help:)

Pulstar
21-12-2010, 15:20
Even at 1000 points you are going to need bigger blocks.

If you are using the IoB as a starter set, see if you can trade you skaven of another set of High Elf figs. This will give you a unit of 17 Swordmasters and 17 LSG, both with full command.

Lord w/ Great Weapon, Armor of Calador (2+ AS), Guardian Phoenix (5+ ward) = 212
Lv 2 Mage w/ Silver Wand (+1 spell) = 145
17 LSG with full command and Banner of E. Flame = 256 (you need at least 250 in core)
17 Sword Masters with Full command = 285
5 Reavers w/ Bow and a musician (for the quick reform) = 102

1000 points on the nose and can be made with with just IoB figs. High is a good lore, but Shadow and Life both work well with HE too. Shadow has great debuffs and Life will keep you SM in the game longer.

Side note: HE shooting is meh on it's own. Cures of Arrow Attraction works great with bolt throwers, but with S3 bows you still have a problem with wounding and betting past high armor. Shadow has a toughness debuff, and metal has a +1 to hit and armor piercing buff that may work better with your bows.

thegreatergood
21-12-2010, 20:25
thanks for the advice guys, i feel like i like the first list more (carlo's) but i don't feel like there's enough meat to it. i would pry take out the eagle and replace at least one of the archers with spearmen or sea guard, which can dual purpose. good idea? i also really like your list pulstar, costing about $75. but correct me if i'm wrong, (and i probally am) but you cant use more than 25% of points on l's+H's, right? also, i feel like the lord is just too much. i would take him out and get some pheonix guard, take away the mage's wand and give him the seerstaff of saphery, with only 2 (well 3 really) spells, i think it's pretty important that i choose them. thoughts?

thegreatergood
21-12-2010, 20:42
Mage= 165
-lvl:2, seerstaff, lore of shadow (mindrazor, withering)

12 spearmen: 110
-bearer

17 LSG
-full command and Banner of E. Flame = 256

17 Sword Masters = 285
-Full command

10 pheonix guard = 174
-champ, bearer

TOTAL: 998

advice/thoughts?

Pulstar
21-12-2010, 21:24
but correct me if i'm wrong, (and i probally am) but you cant use more than 25% of points on l's+H's, right? also, i feel like the lord is just too much.

You can use up to 25% on lords. so up to 250 on lords
You can use up to 25% on heroes. up to 250 on heroes
You have to have at least 25% in core.

Also the 10 PG will not do much. The smallest special infantry blocks you should use 14 (7X2) and then only on sword masters or white lions. PG are better in 19 or 24 and used as a mage/bsb/prince bunker.

thegreatergood
21-12-2010, 21:34
OH, i thought it was 25% on both, not each, but i still think the lord is too much. what should i do with the guard out?

thegreatergood
21-12-2010, 22:42
edited the list, still can't think of guard exchange choices.

Carlo
22-12-2010, 01:49
well at least you think about what we say :) i like that.

like pulstar says you need big blocks, i say you dont :) ofc its all about the play style and tactiks you use, i often go for the one that some have to die for the graeter good :D but i realy dont play to many 1000p armys, but it all comes down to the magic you choose to play whit, to be honest in the new rules i feel that you can build the army around your mages. not sure if the other he players feel the same tho.

i sett up an list for you whit the future in my minde and how to expend and be able to play fun games at the same time.

Carlo
22-12-2010, 01:58
miss pressed enter :/

you realy have to read the he book and see what the difrent units have and what magic items and combos you like, often it will in the end fall on the same as most of us as they are tryed and tested to many times, some dam things never change in this game:(
i dont use alot of meele core units as we dont have any good ones in my opinion. to soft and to weak dont realy help whit 5 more attack if you still cant hurt the bastards.

i allways use 1 mage whit shadow to cast whitering makeing most units pray to my weak arrows. some call it cowerdly and boaring to play, i say they need to finde a better plan then to run head on in to the fight, its a stratagy game. and whit a difrent spell from shadow you can give you archers units 8s and make them dam hard to fight even if they are only 10 in 1 unit. 10 attacks 2s asf/reroll to hit. sure bring you chaos knights :)

but as you said if you have played 40k i dont belive its that far off is it? i realy never played 40k more then 2 times but i see other ppl play it :D

thegreatergood
22-12-2010, 02:26
yea, because i love the pheonix guard models, and it's not like i'll never need them. i also feel like the mages are alot better than the CC heroes. (that's not to say i woudn't love a dragon riding mage) i think lore of shadow will level the playing field, along with a flank strike by a 2nd unit will deal the killing blow. it also lets me spread out more.

thegreatergood
22-12-2010, 02:27
Mage= 165

10 spearmen= 100
-bearer

10 LSG= 130 x2= 260
-bearer

10 Sword Masters=150 x2= 300

10 pheonix guard= 162
-champ

TOTAL: 995
how does this look? advice/thoughts?

Carlo
22-12-2010, 12:44
well i woud still go for some archers but i like that setup to, just be sure to close in fast and dont leav your flanks open whit this setup. you have 2 units of the BEST meele unit in game atm, but for this setup i think i might have gone in a difrent way whit the magic. whitering in my opinion is better for a ranged army but it will do good for a meele build army to, if you dont like how it works out you can try to use lore of life next time. flesh to stone will make those swordmasters allmost imposible to take out if you use it whit the other spell that makes it give them 4+t and alsow is a backup for those nasty istcasts in the new system.

but what you have here is the base of any good army. not to many use spearmen any more as seaguards give you an extra shooter. but i woud recomend you try to get as close to the point limet every time on core units, HE special units are very very mutch better in most ways for noty many points extra.

hope you kick ass and bring pride to the rest of the he players :)

By the tears of isha ulthuan shall never fall..

Pulstar
22-12-2010, 12:48
I'd do this

Mage lv 2 w/ seerstaff = 165 Shadow (Withering + 1
10 Archers (Stand & Mus) = 125
10 Archers (Stand & Mus) = 125
10 Sword Masters (Champ) = 162
10 Sword Masters (Champ) = 162
14 Pheonix guard (FC) = 240

This comes in at 979 so you have 20 points of magic to spread around (Banner of E. Flame, Leadership gem, Iron Curse Icon are all good low point items). Put the Mage in the PG.

Since everyone attacks in two ranks, spears don't come into play until you get a third rank. (and with High Elf's a 4th if you get charged) The two small units of Archers fill up your core and leaves you more points for your hammers (SM) and Anvil (PG)

I also don't think you need mind razor in this army. It's best use is on a big block of spear mean that can start throwing 20+ STR 8 attacks. Since you don't have that unit there are plenty of other spells in shadow that work great.

thegreatergood
22-12-2010, 13:23
Mage= 165

10 archers= 110
-bearer

10 LSG= 130 x2= 260
-bearer

10 pheonix guard= 162
-champ

TOTAL: 1005
how does this look? advice/thoughts? does this look good?

ROCKY
22-12-2010, 13:33
Mage= 165

10 archers= 110
-bearer

10 LSG= 130 x2= 260
-bearer

10 pheonix guard= 162
-champ

TOTAL: 1005
how does this look? advice/thoughts? does this look good?

your units are too small, what i would suggest is a lvl2 mage (basic or cheap item)
25: spearmen: fc: (what u need in this points game is numbers and these guys almost do as good as the seaguard and are 4points cheaper each):250pts

then if you want take 14SM and take some white lions etc.

thegreatergood
22-12-2010, 13:50
so replace the lsg with spearmen? i only get 5 more and they're alot worse off than the lsg. i could group the lsg into 1 big unit, and turn the archers into more pheonix guard. i could also group the swords together, but i think they're srtong enough to stay in units of 10. then i have a big shooting block, but still enough fighting numbers.

Mage= 165

20 LSG= 250
-bearer

17 pheonix guard= 267
-champ

TOTAL:990
how does this look? advice/thoughts?

Carlo
22-12-2010, 13:54
as you see ulthuan is divided and there are many good generals :D

its all about how you want to play, 10 is a small unit but whit he its a mather of optimasing the points to the best you can, its hard as we have weak but expensive units whit special abiilitys and can over come most foes.

all i can say is try a few games and you will finde your own style and learn like every one else what works best for you :) i woud still never use a spearmen tho, low armour, low strenght and low toughness makes them one of the weaker units in the game. alsow going in big blocks is like puting all your eggs in one basket.

i like your last setup i think it will work great for a 1000p army :) GL

remeber they cant shoot all you good units down in 1 round. and still only 5 swordmasters can take out a cavalery charge head on in the new rules as you dont hit first when you charge in the new rules. 11 attacks s5 reroll to hit against some nasty knights will still leav them whit a cry for mercy :D

thegreatergood
22-12-2010, 13:59
thanks for all your help guys! i think i like the most recent list the most :) again, thanks all!