PDA

View Full Version : First try at competitive empire list (2k)

SteelTitan
21-12-2010, 16:27
Here's the list:

1x Wizard Lord (goes with spearmen)
*Extra level
*Luckstone
*Orb of thunder
*Talisman of preservation

1x Captain BSB (goes with swordsmen)
*Van Horstmann's Speculum
*Full plate armour
*Shield

34 Spearmen with shields
Detachment: 15 halbediers
Detachment: 10 Handgunners

29 Swordmen

10 Huntsmen

5 Pistoliers

1 Great Cannon

2 Mortars

1 Hellblaster Volley Gun

1 Steam tank

The plan is relatively simple. It's a defensively designed list where i sit back and try to maximise on my shooting while i try to disrupt movement and distract with the pistoliers and scouts. All the while I wait for the charges by units that have been weakened by shooting and magic but retaliating with strong counter-charges (detachments and steam tank) and stand-and-shoots...and then I win :)

A Shadow
21-12-2010, 22:37
Thats a lot of State Troopers. I would be a tad apprehensive about only having two characters at 2000 points, I'd try and squeeze a Master Engineer or two in and maybe another wizard. Plenty of range artillery but no handgunners or crossbows? Artillery is awesome, until it misfires.

Torpedo Vegas
22-12-2010, 03:35
The one major issue with a defensive list like this is that if you go against a very fast, very killy army, like, say, dark elves, you will struggle a lot, and magic will really hurt you. As such, I'd drop the pistoliers and huntsmen to get another wizard with a dispell scroll, or a warrior priest. You are gonna want to try and shut down your opponent's magic phase with a list like this.

SteelTitan
22-12-2010, 07:37
Well, it doesn't have to be a defensive list per say. I was trying to have something flexible; units that add benefit in the movement phase (pistoliers, huntsmen), enough damage output in the shooting phase, supporting magic and enough models with supporting detachment to stand their own in CC.

Without pistoliers and huntsman, they army becomes even more static.

Torpedo Vegas
23-12-2010, 01:12
Personally, I would say it would be a fair trade-off to ensure you don't get magic'd to death. Empire isn't a super speedy army, even if you focus on fast Calv, though maybe keeping the pistoleers would be a good idea, as they can help with defending warmachines if your opponent has vanguards/scouts, but can also hassle a flanking unit for a turn or two if needed.

Minigiant
23-12-2010, 08:55
Your list is slightly illegal at the moment

because your unit of 29 swordsmen cant have a 15 man detachment because they are of greater size of more than half of 29

so just bump the swordsmen unit upto 30 and you will be fine

McBane
24-12-2010, 13:25
I'm not an empire player myself, but here's what a friend of mine fields at 1500 points and you could expand pretty easily to 2000. He beats pretty much everyone in our store where we play with regularity.

Arch Lector on War Altar
Von Horstmann's Speculum

Warrior Priest

Warrior Priest

Battle standard bearer

3 units of 35 halbrediers

2 cannons

2 mortars

I'm not sure on all the magic items, but what he'll do is charge the war altar into a big unit when it gets close and tie it up for several turns. The priests and lector give you all the anti-magic you need adding 4 dispel dice a turn and give units they join hatred which helps them fend off charges. It is much more defensive than your list, but very effective.

exodusofman
24-12-2010, 20:18
Here's the list:

1x Wizard Lord (goes with spearmen)
*Extra level
*Luckstone
*Orb of thunder
*Talisman of preservation
im not sold on his load out tbh. how often do you encounter flying stuff? if dragons are bugging you then use cannons. the luckstone is hit and miss just hope you dont fail to cast again.
1x Captain BSB (goes with swordsmen)
*Van Horstmann's Speculum
*Full plate armour
*Shield
looks fine
34 Spearmen with shields
not a fan of spearmen this edition tbh especially in such small numbers. I think youd b better off making them halberdiers
29 Swordmen
maybe try and squeeze 1 more swordsman in here
10 Huntsmen
not a fan id drop these guys
5 Pistoliers
id drop these guys and with the points you save from them and the huntsmen get another cannon and mortar
1 Great Cannon

2 Mortars

1 Hellblaster Volley Gun
again not a fan id get another cannon
1 Steam tank
meh some people like stanks some dont im part of the group that doesnt. i feel that if you dropped it you could get some much needed things like a pair of warrior priests and another wizard

The plan is relatively simple. It's a defensively designed list where i sit back and try to maximise on my shooting while i try to disrupt movement and distract with the pistoliers and scouts. All the while I wait for the charges by units that have been weakened by shooting and magic but retaliating with strong counter-charges (detachments and steam tank) and stand-and-shoots...and then I win :)

suggestions above

Torpedo Vegas
25-12-2010, 15:32
Luckstone, Orb of Thunder and Talisman of Preservation=over 50 points. A lvl2 mage cannot take over 50 points in magic gear.

SteelTitan
25-12-2010, 15:57
I felt that I had little points left for more characters, probably mainly because the Stank eats so many points. However, it feels nice to include one, to have something ultra hard that can shoot and kill stuff in an army of 'Ummies.

I only have 30 halbediers so I thought they were better suited as detachment (to make the most out of their counter charge with strength bonus) rather than a parent unit.

Somehow I fail to see what is so great about warrior priests. I mean, I love the fluff and models but their powers are easily countered and their CC abilities also isn't top of the bill.

Also I dont have a war altar so won't be using it :)

Torpedo Vegas
25-12-2010, 16:03
The thing about WPs is that yes, their spells can be dispelled easily, but if you field, say three, and use your first magic phase to spam prayers, your opponent will have trouble dispelling all those prayers, more so if you have a wizard to cast some more magic. Empire is a horde army, everything about it, from troops to magic, is better if you spam spam spam.

exodusofman
25-12-2010, 17:26
also adding to the above poters comments. when your average WS in the army is 3 hatred really comes in handy.Also if your facing a magic heavy army the extra dispel dice help.If your facing a light magic army those extra dice will most likely help you shut down his/her magic phase completly

electors champion
25-12-2010, 18:47
Warrior priest are absolutely brilliant. base cost of 90 for an extra dispel dice, prayers, hatred. there are banners that cost half that just for hatred. Arch lectors are pretty much twice as good for just 125 points, double prayers, double dispel. stick van horstman on him and sword of anti heroes and some armour and youv'e got the best dueller in the game. ye their stats are poor but its their abilities you buy them for, a good player can get prayers in too with rod of power backing them up. people always underestimate them.

SteelTitan
25-12-2010, 18:59
do ppl also field arch lectors without the altar or on horseback?

Torpedo Vegas
25-12-2010, 19:05
In a big enough game (3000+) I'd take one. The plus 2 dispelled dice, prayers and hatred make them really good, and only 20 points more, I think, than a Warrior Priest. With a unit of Knights, you'll deliver a hammer blow that a Chaos Knight would respect.

electors champion
25-12-2010, 19:13
@ steel titan, yes i pretty much always field mine on foot works better for me and i dont have a war altar

exodusofman
25-12-2010, 19:22
I find myself runing my lector on foot or on a barded steed. its not that i dont like the alter i do its a great thing to have,dont need to worry about casting the ward free lore of light spell ever turn. its just that with this edition and the way the game is going im better off spending those 100pts on 20 more halberdiers or a great cannon

SteelTitan
25-12-2010, 21:58
So you guys run a arch lector in 2k battles? How is his role different than a level 4 mage?
Is it either or or both? Why one or the other?

Torpedo Vegas
25-12-2010, 22:09
An arch Lector and a lvl 4 are two completely different things. Your Arch Lector on WAltar CAN cast magic, but that shouldn't be his main purpose. He is there for Leadership and to buff with prayers. Best case scenario, an Arch Lector will get off his one LoLight spell and two prayers. A Lvl 4, on the other hand, will be able to cast 4 spells, and be about 50 cheaper if he is naked.

Karolinen
28-12-2010, 15:06
I always use a unit of 12 knights whith full command and lances and a Hero, always. They are the empires most fast moving and hard-hitting unit and I often use them on one of the flanks and try to run the enemy down from the side. It works the most times!

SteelTitan
28-12-2010, 15:28
@ Torpedo:

I sometimes find it hard to support my armies with magic and I can see how an arch lector does that more clearly by buffing the units he is with for example. I do think that an arch lector on his own (or with a couple of priests) can be a rather inefficient way as their spells have a low casting value and are therefore easily dispelled? (Of course you could always throw more dice at them but id feel that would be sort of a waste?)

@ Karolinen: I have a lot of knights so i might as well give them a couple of tries. What hero do you use with them?

Torpedo Vegas
28-12-2010, 17:22
I'd guess he'd use a WP, its what I do, though I prefer Great Weapons on my knights.