PDA

View Full Version : So What Really Happened To Man 'O War?

Gorgrim
17-03-2006, 08:47
I really liked Man 'O War and the system used for the mechanics of the game. Nice and simple and the game ran smoothly.

The armies had a nice variety between ships and you really only had a small playing area.

The only reason for the lack of interest in players that I can see was the numer of models available for each race and also the models were very fragile.

Now with the Pirates of the Spanish Maine (Rebellion) game out it is a simple game similar to Man 'O War but is hugely popular.

Hmmm, time to dig it out again.

Jedi152
17-03-2006, 09:50
The problem GW cite is that it is card heavy - and thus expensive to reproduce, and they're really trying to get away from counters and cards and the like.

And it's probably got something to do with the fact that you only needed a few ships to play, and GW want you to play games where you need to pay for a whole army.

Pirates of the Spanish Maine looks good, i just don't like the card ships. And like most non-GW wargames it's practically impossible to find any local players for a non-club person like me.

Brother Othorio
17-03-2006, 15:17
i seem to recall that someone claimed a few years ago that the real reason was that GW wanted to sell 500 copies of the game a month, but that they only sold an average of 485 copies (with a best month of 493 and the lowest month of about 460-somthing)

Killgore
17-03-2006, 22:15
well gw dumped off most of their old games

space crusade, manowar, space hulk and numerous others

and concentrated on their 3 big ones at the time whf, 40k and epic 40k

Ardathair
18-03-2006, 00:43
GW has a habit of revisiting old side games. How many times has GW stopped producing Blood Bowl, epic, and Space Hulk. Space Fleet was brought back as Battlefleet Gothic, and Confrontation came back as Necromunda, and Inquisitor.

My point is that, I concider it very likely that GW will revive Man 'O War, either with the same name or another one, sooner or later. The old game was pretty good, so GW could just tweek it a bit, unlike the ground up reconstruction of SF into BFG.

Mad Makz
20-03-2006, 04:17
With their new plastic technology I think it will become more feasible to make games likw Man of War with appropriate counters etc. all made out of plastic.

I think they would use a different rule set, something closer to Gothic than old school man of war, if they were to do this.

I also don't think they will do this for another 3 or 4 years if they were to move back towards these games, due to their commitment to the 3 core games and shelf space availability.

starlight
20-03-2006, 04:30
GW's business model is based around selling models. They support games that require you to buy lots of models. They are moving to producing as many Troop/Core (and other high volume) boxes of plastic as possible. This represents the best profit for the least cost (according to their model).

While I disagree with their model, it *is* their model. I'd be surprised if any of the side games get anything more than the token web-based updates and the odd model.:(

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
24-03-2006, 08:36
*grins*... Considering the numerous yells about GorkaMorka having to return (where the SG-group is already since three, four years saying they intent to incorporate it into their rules somewhere along the line), I don't think you'll see Man 'o War returning quickly.

Greetz

Exploited
30-03-2006, 15:00
*grins*... Considering the numerous yells about GorkaMorka having to return (where the SG-group is already since three, four years saying they intent to incorporate it into their rules somewhere along the line), I don't think you'll see Man 'o War returning quickly.

Greetz

1 vinsqueek, im skarskritt :) nice to see you mate

2) you can still play gorgamorka.

take the necromunda ash wastes vehicle rules, add orky weapons

use juve stats and away you go

Skaven Lord Vinshqueek
30-03-2006, 17:58
Hey man... Those UE.net-rats are everywhere, aren't they? :D

Yeah, I know I can still play GorkaMorka and I do so as well (got the rules and Digganob-expansion). The problem though, is that GW has no support for this game at all. No rule update, no models, etc. So it's an un-official game, though I seriously hope they finally get the time to incorporate it into the Necromunda game-system (and looking at what they've done with the Thorians, I sure have my hopes on that one).

Greetz

Mikhaila
02-04-2006, 00:46
Hmm, Wizkids should either buy a liscense from GW to do a pirates expansion using the Warhammer world and all the old MoW ships, or GW should pay Wizkids to manufacture the same game for GW. Or some slannesh blessed union of the two companies.

momfreeek
09-04-2006, 21:36
The models make a killing on eBay these days. Friend of mine has been selling boxes of doomreavers for 200.

Morph
13-04-2006, 10:57
Well I disagree that you need a small playing area. You need a huge table just for the number of cards you had.

It was good in some areas, but flawed elsewhere. The system of having a card for each ship was, whilst not complicated exactly, fairly clunky. Having to keep looking up which ship was which card took time. Then there was always the problem of someone sneezing over the cards sending damage markers flying!

Also there seemed to be balance problems between the races, with some far superior to others (High Elves come to mind).

Still we bring it occasionally for a few games. Fun, but could be streamlined (something more akin to BFG might be better).