PDA

View Full Version : Once Bitten and Malorian Give a Christmas Gift to Warseer

Malorian
24-12-2010, 04:35
The air was thick with the stench of beer and cheap women, and yet at the back of this dark tavern sat two great men, pondering the holiday season.

Once Bitten, known for his countless Bretonnian reports, and Malorian, known for his countless random reports, were each having a great time as Christmas got closer and closer, and yet it was a time of giving and they wanted to give something to those that read their reports.

Malorian was the first to start, "Alright, how about this: a 5000 point mega game!"

The idea was interesting to Once Bitten, but he had his worries.

"That would be good but I realy don't want to use an unpainted army..."

"But my brets aren't painted..."

"Exactly..."

"Ok, ok, no problem, I have other painted armies."

"Such as?"

"Vampire counts?"

"Lame..."

"Lizardmen?"

"Too overly done..."

"Wood elves?"

"Are you mocking me?"

"Well you aren't using my Orcs and Goblins!"

"Is there anything else?"

"There's my dwarfs..."

"Excellent, my son plays dwarfs."

"Do you want me to explain to you how they work?"

"... I'm a frick'n doctor... just send me a list and I'll be fine."

"Oh right... alright so it'll be Orcs vs Dwarfs, you can have some cool castle or something and I'll attack it!"

"Maybe we need some special rules to make sure you don't just crush one flank..."

"Would I do that?"

"Yes you would! Look, you're writing in your note book "Attack the flank" even as we speak!"

"Oh... hehe... sorry... alright, well then how about we make it objective based. We'll have a tower in the center of your deployment for one, we'll each have two generals for two more, and finally the BSB counts too. Who ever has more objective points at the end of the game wins!"

"I find your suggestion... acceptable..."

"Is that your high class Bretonnian way of saying it's on?"

"Better that letting the beer spill out of your mouth when you yell Waaagh!..."

"Touche sir... touche..."

So like it says about Once Bitten and I had a third battle (once again showing that being in different countries doesn't stop warhammer) and although I've promiced the written report to Da Warpath, here is my version of the youtube report.

Once Bitten may make his own report, but it's a pain downloading the pictures and he just finished doing something like 5 reports in a week, so don't hold your breath.

Hope you enjoy them and Merry Christmas! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmkn1W509pc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iueZW1VkqHk

kurisawa
24-12-2010, 07:08
Great! I look forward to finding time over the holiday season to watch it. :)

Any chance of a story?

K.

stijnq
24-12-2010, 09:27
Nice report! So many things could have gone the other way if it weren't for the dice.
really liked it

Razakel
24-12-2010, 09:56
Great report & Merry Christmas

Djekar
24-12-2010, 09:58
Great report. I thought that Dr. Once Bitten was really ballsy with his short round men, and I was sad to see such things go the wrong way (from his perspective that is). I think that the game might have been a bit different with some of those early charges connecting. That being said, I always love greenskin v. dwarves - it just feels so iconic, and this was a stellar representation of that signature fluff.

I loved the use of miners in groups of 7 for (I assume) general war machine hunting together with the big unit for maximum disruption. I also liked the use of wolf chariots to shoot across the battlefield and into artillery. I haven't pulled that trick yet, but I might have to since my normal war machine hunting teams have been getting sloppy of late.

All in all, I loved it. Thanks for taking the time! Merry WAAAGH!-mas to all, and to all a good fight!!

ROCKY
24-12-2010, 10:12
those were fun vids indeed, but I really want to see the two of you battle one day in the same place and face his bretts at 5k! that would be an amazing match!

Quannum
24-12-2010, 10:32
Malorian, I thoroughly enjoy your batreps and am working through some of your podcasts too.

Did you mean to slot in a picture of your kids (I assume...) @ 3:48 onwards in part 1?

Q

Malorian
24-12-2010, 15:46
Any chance of a story?

K.

Story will be in the Da Warpath written report.

Did you mean to slot in a picture of your kids (I assume...) @ 3:48 onwards in part 1?

Q

Seemed like an ok picture to use as I talked about attacking a defended position ;)

RealMikeBob
24-12-2010, 16:17
Seemed like an ok picture to use as I talked about attacking a defended position ;)

It certainly made me laugh :p

Noght
25-12-2010, 05:01
Just curious if you've thought of using a larger table, say 4x8 rather than 4x6 when you get into these large point battles. Seems that everything gets stacked limiting some movement or tactical deployment opportunities.

If the board was bigger, that unit of Orcs on your right flank might have been able to move around the right side of the forest and get into combat quicker.

Just wondering if GW has recommended larger tables.

Very Nice reports BTW. Always enjoyable.

Noght

Awilla the Hun
25-12-2010, 16:33
Far tenser than I thought it would be (Dwarves holding an entrenched position), and it hinged on a few dice rolls. Great game, and great report!

Malorian
25-12-2010, 21:32
Just curious if you've thought of using a larger table, say 4x8 rather than 4x6 when you get into these large point battles. Seems that everything gets stacked limiting some movement or tactical deployment opportunities.

We actually did use a 4X8 table but never really used the left 3 feet of it at all.

Not sure if the orcs would have been able to swing around fast enough, but more importanly putting a unit near a board edge puts them in danger from miners.

envy
26-12-2010, 05:16
We actually did use a 4X8 table but never really used the left 3 feet of it at all.

Not sure if the orcs would have been able to swing around fast enough, but more importanly putting a unit near a board edge puts them in danger from miners.

How exactly do you play these games, with him not being there?

Malorian
26-12-2010, 15:41
I take pictures, he says what actions he wants to take, and then I carry them out, take more pictures, and we go from there.

Most of the time it's pretty straight forward, the only time it gets touchy is when you are deal whith things like fliers that move in odd directions, then I have to just do the best I can with the description given and if I get it wrong he tells me and I fix it.

Once Bitten
27-12-2010, 15:21
I was withholding my comments here because I was going to do my own report on the battle. BUT, I've decided that Mal's report was good enough for both of us. :) Here are some of my thoughts on the game:

1. My plan for the building was for the thunderers to lose the fight every time - but to hold, shoot at black orcs (combined w/ at least one organ gun), get beat/hold, shoot at black orcs, rinse repeat. I did not appreciate how killy they were.

2. I pulled my general out of the building because, with only 4 thunderers left, I did not want him sending only black orcs into the building and having all of them attack my general. If I got into a fight outside of the building, my general could challenge - or at least only be attacked by 4-6 orcs. Putting him in sight of the bolt throwers was stupid - and I honestly don't think I would have put him right there had I been present.

3. The Longbeards' failed charge against the spiders was devastating. I assumed I was only 5-6 inches away and easily within charge reach. (Planned on easily beating them and then combat reforming towards savage orcs [if miners hadn't beaten them] or towards main line.

4. I was really really surprised by how well the spiders did against my war machines. With only 3 models attacking, against a higher WS, T4 and stubborn 9 - I never expected them to roll right through all my damn war machines.

5. I was also surprised by Malorian's tactic of using chariots to single out war machines. A good idea! Had I thought of it, I would've simply deployed my war machines a couple inches back instead of right at my main line.

6. My overall plan was to quickly overwhelm his left flank, turn toward main line w/ LB and Miners, and double-teaming his units w/ my warriors and the flank-turners, rolling down the line. The damn stunties just couldn't move!!! :)

As you can tell from the batrep, it was a really fun game. Very epic.

Gork or Possibly Mork
27-12-2010, 15:24
Awesome game fellows. Thanks for going through the trouble to put this up.

Lowmans
01-01-2011, 16:49
Wow!
That looked absolutely fantastic and was full of suspense (if that's how you say it)!

I must admit I was rooting for the Orcs who seemed to have a little luck on their side too.
One beautiful moment was the picture of the Longbeards and Miners just staring down the line of flank charges before them! A little luck the other way and who knows!?
Thanks guys for the Christmas present!