PDA

View Full Version : One-off non-standard scenario armylist suggestions?

Heywood38
24-12-2010, 14:28
We're planning a one-off scenario - full beardiness encouraged, as follows:

4 players.
800pts, normal & legal FoC limits except no 'Troops' requirement.
Lots of terrain on a big table.

Bring the nastiest list you can build and have figures for.

But does anyone have any ideas what they would bring?

Librarian with Nullzone in a Land Raider (+ other things in a 2nd Land Raider?)?

I thought about a XV-84 Shas'O with Iridium armor & shield drones + 2 bodyguards & shield drones all attached to 3 Broadsides with shield drones and ASS...8 shield drones to get through while taking 3 TL railgun shots..if you get close I detach the Shas'O and bodyguards, while the Broadsides still shoot things..

Fateweaver and 2 Heralds of Tzeentch on discs with a DaePrince of Tzeentch with flight = fast, tough, re-roll saves, 4 Bolts for ranged attacks?

Any other nasty suggestions?

htmlord
24-12-2010, 14:51
Lots of terrain plus big table could mean a lot of things: if there are good firing lanes, long range could be killer, but if the terrain severely limits LOS, then range won't mean much of anything.

How are you working 4 players with turns and close combat? If you get into CC on player 1's turn, do all players fight rounds on player 2's turn and player 3's turn and player 4's turn? If so, extremely hard CC troops (TH/SS termi's, Farseer/Warlock deathstar, Thunderwolf cav w/ lots of stormshields, etc) could be the way to go, especially if you feel the terrain will severely limit shooting.

2 Landraiders is 500 points, only leaving you with 300 pts. Not much to make a powerful cheese force.

Shas'o with bodyguards can't join a unit (he loses the IC rule when he takes bodyguards until they are dead).

My personal preference (depending on the level of terrain on the board) would be either Farseer with both runes, stones, and Jetbike, fortune and doom, and 10 Warlocks on jetbikes with Embolden, Enhance, Destructor x 8, 3 spears (on the 2 without Destructor and on the Farseer) and have 56 pts left to play with... maybe more powers for the Farseer? I suppose Mind War never hurts, maybe Eldritch storm if you think your enemies will bring a lot of vehicles.

My alternate would be a full suit Tau list. Shas'el with MP and PR and TA (hardwired MT and DC w/ shields, stim injector), bodyguards similar (MP/PR/TA/HWMT), plus as many Elite choice suits as I can bring, some TLFB, some TLMP, some PR/FB maybe. That would be about right, depending on support systems for the TL suits. Then deep strike with everything and hope the enemies are spread out enough to not get immediately countercharged to death.

htmlord
24-12-2010, 14:54
Alternate list for the Tau force (probably not as effective, but also probably the only chance I'd ever have to run him and have him be relatively useful): Farsight, full bodyguard, MP/PR/TA/HWMT, 2 shield drones on one of the bodyguards = 774 pts.

Heywood38
24-12-2010, 15:27
...the terrain severely limits LOS, then range won't mean much of anything.

How are you working 4 players with turns and close combat?...

2 Landraiders is 500 points, only leaving you with 300 pts. Not much to make a powerful cheese force.

Shas'o with bodyguards can't join a unit (he loses the IC rule when he takes bodyguards until they are dead).

My personal preference (depending on the level of terrain on the board) would be either Farseer...

My alternate would be a full suit Tau list.

Terrain = Lots of woods, so long range will be moot as you say.

CC = Dunno yet. Might be 2 sets of teams of 2 independent players.

2 Landraiders would be hard for him to counter even while he is absorbing the lascannon and melta shots...Nullzone means the Inv saves are a lot less effective!

Shas'o rule = thanks! Forgot that as I don't usually use bodyguards..

Eldar = I can't field an Eldar force altho' your idea is indeed worrisome that I might face it!

Tau suits idea - I can do this but I am also worried about my opponents Landraiders/Monoliths/big nasty chars etc..I need to be able to hit hard to 'reach' those..

htmlord
24-12-2010, 16:46
The Tau suit force can be the CO and his bodyguard, plus 3 TL fusion blasters, plus 3 fusion/plasma, and finally 3 TLMP at 800 points. That seems like a pretty decent amount of melta to me, though you do have the downside of having to get lucky on the deepstrike for them to be truly effective.

htmlord
24-12-2010, 16:51
If you want to go Marines, how about Libby Terminator with 7 TH/SS Termi's in a Redeemer or Crusader... that would be around 700 points plus or minus, depending on the Land Raiders upgrades. Let's see... Libby/TermiArmour/SS/Epi + Crusader/Chronus/MM + 7 TH/SS Termi's is 800 on the button. That should be pretty tough