PDA

View Full Version : Planetary empires... what is it?

Johnmclane
25-12-2010, 20:21
Thinking of buying the planetary empires set but can't find anything about it on the forums.
So what is it ? How does it play and is it a good tool for making campaigns...
Anyone using it , feel free to review it :)?

ehlijen
25-12-2010, 20:28
It's basically just the tiles and some tokens and flags to plant on it.

The leaflet with campaign rules are very basic and offers little more than playings games, tracking wins and granting little boni to people who win a lit for further games.

Johnmclane
25-12-2010, 20:33
what kind of bonuses are there in planetary empires?

I have no problem doing professional looking maps and if it adds nothing more I'm probably better off saving the money.

Have anyone written better campaign rules here on the forum? I don't want anything really gamechanging as my " campaign" games are gonna be very few and far between ( more like that chessboard between the good guy and the supervillain kinda thing).

I'm off to do a proper search but if anyone know theyve written a tried and tested campaign ruleset, please point me to it :)

ehlijen
25-12-2010, 21:16
The boni are basically along the lines of 'whoever has the most of this kind of building gets minor advantage x in his next battle'. X is, I think a few extra points or some stratagem like in citfygight if I remember right. It's been a while since I've read them in depth.

Little Kman
25-12-2010, 21:45
1. generate a world map, each player gets 6 tiles each and 6 flags (1 -6 players)

2. place flags

3. decide how many games (1-??) of 40k determine a round.

ie 2 games: game 1 i choose to fight player a, game 2 player b chooses to fight player a.

4. end of each round choose territory/tile to capture and roll dice to get over a certain number, more games u win and more territories u occupy surrounding the tile u want the better ur chances of getting the territory/tile are.

different things (bastions, space stations etc) on different tiles give u different bonuses.

1st person to capture 5-6 tiles wins.

more tiles u own the less points u get per battle, ie i own like 5 tiles my army has -250pts, represents forces spreading thin.

---------------------------------------------------------------

all of the rules can be tweaked for different campaigns if u want.

Example:

player A = tyranids invading a planet,

player b and c are gaurd and marines, they cant join forces and they start with occupation of 2/3rds of 18 tiles.

the 1st 6 rounds the tyranid player must win at least 3 tiles,

player b and c cant fight each other, and they win when the tyranid player has no tiles.

player a wins when he has 80% of the tiles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if ur going to modify rules for your campaign write em down so u dont forget.

else wise the planetary empires set has some nice plastic tiles (each are double sided) and look great undercoated and dry-brushed.

the rules u get are very much board game style and are best for 3-5 players to duke it out to see who gets the most tiles. good for gaming clubs.

is it worth it? well yeah if u use it.

neko
25-12-2010, 23:10
I have the old rules somewhere from when Mighty Empires worked as a stand alone game. It would be interesting to see if we could make something of similar depth for Planetary Empires. As has already been said though, the official rules are very basic and more there just to give you a way to make use of the tiles.

Vedar
25-12-2010, 23:46
I was excited when I heard they might do a Mighty Empires for 40K, but when I read it it was quite a let down. You are paying for the tiles mostly. the 4-5 pages of "rules" leave much to be desired. One of the lamer rules is you can table someone and then you need to roll a die to see if you capture it and if you roll bad nothing happens.

On the other hand if you have a regular group of players that want to add some spice to the normal 3 mission and track some battles it might be worth it. You can always change the dumb rules you don't like. So once again you are pretty much paying for the tiles.

DeviantApostle
26-12-2010, 14:21
Planetary Empires is the worst money I've ever spent.

The rules are total crud and you'd do better making up a paper map. This is a complete waste of money and time.

Johnmclane
26-12-2010, 16:08
Neko: If you find the rules , can you pm me and then we can rework them to fit 40k :)

Ok, so basically the rules are pretty crap and the tiles are what you are paying for... draw them on hexes and write your own ... I can do that. Maybe post it in this thread later on :)

ehlijen
26-12-2010, 16:30
The tiles are very neat, but should be used as an expansion to might empires rather than on their own, as they have nothing but bombed out flat pieces of land, possiby with some ruins, but that's it. No mountains, no rivers, no nothing.

Throw in the mighty empires stuff, and you've got a lot more variety.

Planetary empires is really just a 40k expansion to mighty empires sold at full price :(

MasterGideon
26-12-2010, 17:21
Its not really worth the money, but if you do buy it, download these from the GW website

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat440152a&aId=400001a

They add a little twist to the rules.

MasterGideon

ForgottenLore
26-12-2010, 18:07
Neko: If you find the rules , can you pm me and then we can rework them to fit 40k

If you guys are going to do that, I might be interested in contributing.

Loved Mighty Empires when it was a playable game and still have all my old stuff.

shelfunit.
26-12-2010, 18:44
GW have released the older ME rules for free on their website - was actually quite impressed by them for doing this.

http://http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=1400005